AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-30, 21:23   Link #81
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

IMO best Villian hands down goes to Chouji Suitengu from SpeedGrapher . Suitengu is actually a better developed/created chara than Saiga himself . Till any better villian comes along its going to be Suitengu for me
Old 2007-04-30, 22:37   Link #82
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
a. A three dimensional character who just has opposing goals to the protagonist
or
b. A character who actually makes the audience genuinely HATE and DESPISE him/her, and *not* drool at how 'cool' and 'badass' he or she is.
I can never bring myself to hate the villains for some reason. Either they're boring to me, or I'm enticed by their dynamics. The dynamic doesn't need to be "cool" or "badass" or anything like that. I for one, really like those demented twisted sicko hypocrites in Neuro and Eiji for one.

To me, good villains are like good heels in pro wrestling terms. They need to be the one who carries the weight in the plot, the one who carries the microphone, as in making us care for his character and his interaction with the good guys, the one who makes the faces look good, by losing whatnot, while still retaining his sense of importance. And for all of their superior handling, they CANNOT overshadow the good guys. Villains that are too cool end up being more "special" than the protagonist, and while it's nice depending on the situation, it spoils the whole reason of making him the villain to begin with.

At least, I haven't seen many villains that walk that fine line of carrying the plot and character dynamic, while retaining both of sense of importance without overshadowing the main character.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:15   Link #83
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
To me, good villains are like good heels in pro wrestling terms. They need to be the one who carries the weight in the plot, the one who carries the microphone, as in making us care for his character and his interaction with the good guys, the one who makes the faces look good, by losing whatnot, while still retaining his sense of importance. And for all of their superior handling, they CANNOT overshadow the good guys. Villains that are too cool end up being more "special" than the protagonist, and while it's nice depending on the situation, it spoils the whole reason of making him the villain to begin with.
Kuze and Gouda from GitS: 2nd SAC would be my choice for best villain in that sense. Both character were the main plot mover of the 2nd season, their philosophy behind their act of villainy were sound and believable. Neither were "cool" but they manage to maintain their importance to the story.

Most villains in any story usually carried out blatant anarchistic act/personality in order to paint em as the antagonist but for Kuze and Gouda, there's always a motive behind each act and always contribute to the greater goal.
Old 2007-05-01, 00:21   Link #84
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One of the more complex anime "villains," if you can call her that, is the Lady Eboshi in Mononoke Hime. On the one hand she's destroying the natural world in the name of human "progress." On the other hand she uses the fruits of that progress to rescue women from prostitution and to comfort lepers. Her character is what makes the movie so compelling to me; Miyazaki doesn't give us any easy answers to the conflict between human society and the natural world. If she were a more cardboard villain, the movie would lose its power.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 06:12   Link #85
patnam

Johan Liebert from Monster maybe the best villian of all time, he just like Hannibal Lecter. The hero goes all the way to find him through the end will be difficult...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 08:04   Link #86
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

My favourite is Mara (Marller) from Ah! My Goddess! But if we are talking about "best" villains, I'd say it's Hild, Mara's boss and the Queen of Hell.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 08:38   Link #87
Choki
I believe i can fly

^
Hild is a villian? Dont really think so...I like her in her child form better though....Not that I'm a lolicon or anything mind you.....I'm not sprouting anything funny am I?

Hmmm, best villian ehh? I would say Sephiroth (aww cmon dun tell me you dont know who he is and where he's from!)

I totally hate him when he killed Aeris....but then again he totally rocked Advent Children with his fighting scene with Cloud. But argh i still hate him for killing Aeris...So its really a admire/hate relationship with him
Choki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 09:07   Link #88
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The Millennium Earl from D Gray deserves a special mention one way to describe him Calculating Twisted Freak . Earlier he ws just an other ordinary anime villian but after he turned General Yeegar into a Ghost of himself , he got his esteemed place in the halls of villany
Old 2007-05-02, 10:11   Link #89
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
Hild is a villian? Dont really think so...
Have you read the manga? She's really scary, but I like her.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 21:41   Link #90
-Breakthrough-

CP9 (One Piece) One of the villains that really blew me away in One Piece. Their fighting style is pretty awesome and Rob Lucci is way badass.

Itachi (Naruto) Only one of the Akatsuki I liked the most.

Aizen (Bleach) This guy also took me by surprise. First time I saw him, he was some soft smiling Division captain, now he's a twisted leader of the Arrancer in Hueco Mundo.
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 23:15   Link #91
Essenar
Fallen Angel

Send a message via AIM to Essenar
I think how you define "great villain" is entirely subjective. You can't say one person's idea of what a great villain is, is better than someone else's. Someone could argue the greatest villain has to be the most difficult to over-come, because of sheer power, strength and battle tactic. That's a valid argument.

One could also argue that a great villain is one that's always tact and intelligent. A villain that can manipulate people as he pleases and yet remain in control of himself without digging too deeply into the games he plays. That's a valid argument too.

One could also say a great villain is one that is absolutely menacing. A person that as others have said, would sacrifice or use anyone to achieve his goal. Villains like these are really "chaotic evil". This is a valid argument too.

There's plenty of ways to rate a villain and most of them have their own weight.

I prefer my own measurement. I think the greatest villain is the one you find the most difficult to hate. A person who's reason for being who he is is very hard to hate or argue against.

The villains that come to mind are L or Light from Death Note, either of them depending on how you situate protagonist and antagonist. It's a little too cheesy and over chivalrous to say L is wrong, because the truth is crime is increasing, so regular law even when enforced just isn't bad enough of a punishment to discourage criminals from surfacing. You can't just say, "Well we'll keep fighting back no matter what" because there are victims every day. And a person can't say Light is entirely right either, because he thinks it's alright to openly sacrifice innocent or justified people just to keep himself clean. Like that FBI Agent's wife. He had no right to kill her, at all, because she was just investigating her husband's death and she wasn't a bad person.

Another would be Creed from Black Cat. The Tao people were hunted and cast off from the planet by Chronos and they secretly strengthened their numbers to try to revolutionize the world and bring down Chronos, an organization that was secretly up to no good. In the end, when Mason and the wise men tried to use Eve as a weapon, Creed came back to help Train, which was ironic considering Creed killed Sayako. Either way I found Creed to be the type of villain that I could understand. Sayako was convincing Train to stop hunting and stop working for Chronos, and who knows what would've happened if Chronos didn't have Train to stop them when they abducted Eve.

Another character that wasn't from an anime, but I still consider to be a villain I understand and it's hard to hate, was Grahf from the game Xenogears on Playstation.
Essenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 03:10   Link #92
Honey_and_Cleaver

Grimmjaw Jaggerjack. Kills without hesitation and fights really well. He wastes no time and heads right for the kill. Enjoys beating the crap out of people and takes his time for the opponent to show their true strength. Really like his mask covering his face.

Alturo. Not yet shown himself in bleach yet. But hes really awesome.

Takemaru Setsuna. Inuyasha movie, love his screams and anger.

Hugh in Kiba, he had really creepy voice and pyscho character.

Cloud,Orga and Shani in Gundam Seed. They really rock the entire place.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 12:59   Link #93
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Alturo. Not yet shown himself in bleach yet. But hes really awesome.
He won't ! He is designed specially for the game.

To stay on-topic, my vote goes to Griffith from Berserk and Shounen Bat from Paranoia Agent.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 18:46   Link #94
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Aizen - Bleach
Gilgamesh - Fate Stay/Night
Black Beard - One Piece
Barasuisho/Suigintou - Rozen Maiden
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2007-05-07, 20:41   Link #95
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnam View Post
Johan Liebert from Monster maybe the best villian of all time, he just like Hannibal Lecter. The hero goes all the way to find him through the end will be difficult...
YES!

YES!

Johan gets my choice for top villain. This guy doesn't have superpowers or cheap techniques. He's simply a genius who can't even control himself. He's got good looks, a soothing voice and an intent to kill. What irks me about him is that he is calm all the time even when he clearly has the disadvantage. The boy is not afraid of death and he's not angsty at all. Johan is almost too "perfect". Johan is also able to charm everyone around him; to the point where most people will blindly follow him.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 16:38   Link #96
ibreatheanime

You have to love orrochimaru. He is the perfect blend of evil, and charm. He's charismatic and confident. Well he's also pretty powerful, and smart.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 22:36   Link #97
A_AQUARE

Raitos cool, bad ass and smart 2(very) he uses his brain not brute force, enticipate the enemys next move and cripple his actionsss................

Sephiroth..... i dun have 2 say where his from cause cha all know who he is...... He can never lose 2 cloud thats just ******************....

Itachis ok but i still think he ain a real villian...

Last edited by A_AQUARE; 2007-05-09 at 22:46. Reason: not fin
A_AQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 22:42   Link #98
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Send a message via MSN to Axelis
Naruto: Gotta be Orochimaru, no doubt! He is so strong and wicked.....

Death Note: Duh, the only villain, Raito!! He keeps his cool no matter what the circumstances.......

Bleach: Does Byakuya count? Well, he DOES oppose Ichigo and the gang in the start....His shunpo kicks ***. Well, at least in the start where he stops Ichigo from killing Renji.

School Rumble: Lala, lol, thats the only villain I can think of, at least to Imadori.

Final Fantasy Advent Children ( Does this count? ): Sephiroth, the villain of all villains, the king of all kings....He is so cool in every possible way.....He is the ultimate dark lord!!
Axelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 10:24   Link #99
archanfels

Crocodile - One Piece. Power, Brain, Ambition, Class, Ruthlessness, the guy has it all.

Also, hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning this, but Leona from Discipline the game(NOT the anime, she got watered down so much). If you understand Japanese, played the full game and reached anyone of the bad endings, you will see that her evilness is mind-raping and sick beyond description.
archanfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 14:22   Link #100
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
He won't ! He is designed specially for the game.

Spoiler for No, Alturo is comming in bleach.:
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote