AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2007-05-03, 11:59   Link #21
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
No problem just spreading the Truth.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 14:22   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Back when I checked out nVidia's Gelato drivers, they were Quadro-exclusive. They'd pretty much just been announced at that point, though. If they're supporting regular GeForce cards, then good - you can make use of them. Quadro cards are really nice, but they're incredibly expensive compared to the GeForce counterparts. I've never seen one used for gaming, but from what I've heard, their gaming performance isn't that hot.

And to clarify on the RAM: I was mainly referring to the motherboard's capabilities (thinking of future expansion), but if the poster is a hard-core renderer, then go over 2 GB. If you're a hobbyist renderer, 2 GB is a decent amount.
Old 2007-05-03, 15:44   Link #23
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

This is because Quadros are meant for OpenGL primarily not D3D. Quadro supports full hardware acceleration of the complete OpenGL library (not just miniGL or the like used in Games). OpenGL has features that are far superior for professional 3D rendering than D3D. D3D usually supports only the stuff that can be calculated very fast (for games). And doesn't allow e.g. rendering of true spline curves or nurbs objects.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 15:51   Link #24
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124383

My reasoning to stay away from nvidia Chipsets.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 16:12   Link #25
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124383

My reasoning to stay away from nvidia Chipsets.
Man they had those problem coz they were OCing.

Anyway back to main topic.

-I would rather go gigabyte board coz of the dual bios.
-About the video card that's depends of what are you going to use it for now and in the future. If not much in gaming you might has well go for a ati x1950 pro or those new cheap GF8x cards that came out.
- About memory that depends on how much you use. In windows task manager you have peek of mem usage. Run your progs and then see how much you use. For me I rather use enough ram so I can turn off swap memory.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 16:52   Link #26
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Man they had those problem coz they were OCing.

-About the video card that's depends of what are you going to use it for now and in the future. If not much in gaming you might has well go for a ati x1950 pro or those new cheap GF8x cards that came out.
Yeah those people experiencing problems were those running their DIMM slots at 2.4v when the stock is only 1.8v. I have a EGVA 680i board with mildly OC'ed memory at 4-4-4-12 900 and 2.1v and haven't had any trouble and I went through stress testing. Also if you read carefully, it says that other chipsets also experience similar problems at such high voltages, although those results are released by nVidia so who knows are biased they are.

After reading reviews at Tomhardware and Anandtech etc, apparantly the new 8600 and 8500 cards aren't that great for the price. The ATI cards are cheaper and faster. The only reason to get 8600 and 8500 cards would be for directx 10 support and maybe the h264 decode boosting ability. If you are willing to spend a bit more the best bang for buck right now would be the 8800GTS 320mb.
Old 2007-05-03, 20:06   Link #27
MugenIchiban

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

Ledgem:
I'm just a hobbyist renderer for now so I guess 2GB of ram would be fitting.

Tiberium:
Thanks for the Video card suggestion.
I can't quite run all the programs I would use because my comp already crashes with WMP, Bitcomet, and Firefox usually. Sometimes its just Firefox and WMP.

So how does this all look? Any suggestions on changing parts?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13 GHz) Dual-Core Socket 775 Processor

Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 - Intel G965 (Core 2 Duo/Extreme) PCI-E Socket 775 Motherboard

OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 575MHZ PCI-E 256MB 1.38GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I TV-OUT Lite Retail Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB - SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive

Antec Performance One P180B Black Advance Super Mid Tower Case

OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply
MugenIchiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 20:24   Link #28
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
After reading reviews at Tomhardware and Anandtech etc, apparantly the new 8600 and 8500 cards aren't that great for the price. The ATI cards are cheaper and faster. The only reason to get 8600 and 8500 cards would be for directx 10 support and maybe the h264 decode boosting ability. If you are willing to spend a bit more the best bang for buck right now would be the 8800GTS 320mb.
I think ati and nvidia cards at 200 range will be outdated soon. In Portugal the ati x1950 are about 180-220. And most of the nvidia 8x cheaps are around 140-200.

Anyway I look at them they are cheap solutions for gaming that is. That's why I am buying a 8800 GTS 320. Still I think the 320M of the GTS will be kinda a bottleneck in the future.

About cases I just ordered today a Aerocool Extreme Engine 3T... Seems to be kinda cool. 140mm front fan and 250mm side fan.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 04:00   Link #29
theDarkHorse
at what speed must i live

I would prefer the 8800GTS as well, unlike the 8500 and 8600 series, the G80 core is a REAL improvement for the price.

Yeah, your configuration looks good. You could probably go up to a 320GB hard drive for minimal cost as well.
theDarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 12:59   Link #30
Aird

The performance of the x1950 pro 256mb and the new 8600gts 256mb are about the same. Some games the ati card does better, others the nvidia card does better. Pricewise they are about the same as well. If you can get the 8600gts 256 for about the same price as teh x1950 pro, the 8600gts 256 is probably the better buy. You'll get directx10 support and full h.264 decoding, neither of which is offered with the x1950pro. I doubt any game will require dx10 within the next 2 years and the full h.264 decoding requires software to take advantage of it.
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 13:43   Link #31
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

I"m mostly liking the looks of the list just above. The C2D 6420 is at the sweet spot of power vs. cost right now, as well as having really low power consumption/heat. The 965P board is a popular one for OCing, and it supports up to 8Gb if you need it down the line. That memory is only needed if you intend to OC, at stock your processor is fine with 533MHz memory. I'd suggest going to a 320 or 400 Gb HD, the cost difference won't be much. Also, having two drives will help your work, you want to have files for graphics on a separate drive from your system software. I was going to suggest that very case to you actually, it's one of the best out there for both cooling and low noise. A steal at $100, it's quite popular among a lot of the OC folks.

One last thing you didn't mention, if you're going to OC. Get a good heatsink/fan assembly. Take a look at this $50 cooler:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=2906
That's a whole lotta OC capacity right there.
Oh, and make sure you've got a fan/duct system on top of your video card that ejects air straight out the back of the machine. Makes a big difference in keeping video cards alive.
Old 2007-05-05, 20:04   Link #32
MugenIchiban

Thanks everyone for helping me picking parts for my system. Wasn't too sure if it would all be compatible.

I was thinking of laying down a few extra bones and gettin the 6600 since it would be like 40 something.

Hey Mukansa, when you say fan/duct system on top of your vid card do you mean something like this http://www.overclockers.com/articles1318/ or something totally different?
MugenIchiban is offline   Reply With Quote