AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-14, 12:57   Link #1
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Different types of video formats

I used to watch anime off youtube but recently I have downloaded a few different anime episodes is various file format and wow! Is...is this what an anime can do in terms of graphics? What have I been doing all the time back then, streaming and watching anime online?

Amazing feelings aside, I've now learnt of .avi, .mkv, and .rmvb---are there anymore file formats commonly seen for anime? How do each of them works, and most importantly, which one carries the most graphical quality?
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 13:12   Link #2
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

First i'l explain a bit about Containers and Compression format. Since it's a bit hard to understand without the boring story below :P

Containers are
AVI
MKV
OGM
MP4
RMVB

And stuff like that. Theres some more, but these are probably most common and and first few i remembered

Than you got Compression format
XVID
DIVX
h.264/x.264

Ps: i'm not sure about the difference between x.264 and h.264. But i heard it's sort of adaption of one and the other.

Most common one are Xvid/h.264
Best quality wise it would be h.264. But since you can't define quality by it's container as a MKV file can be encoded with h.264 and same for a MP4 that can be encoded with h.264. So you can't really define which format has best quality as it's all the used compression and ofcourse skills of encoder...

But overall i would say MKV/MP4 usually have the highest quality if there encoded with h.264 ofcourse. And the Avi once are mid quality. Because AVI is encoded with Xvid. Though Xvid quality is also quite good, especially if your use to watching youtube anime:P But can't beat h.264.

And iirc RMVB are usually encoded with the realmedia compression, which offers less quality but the file size is also smaller. It's not even that bad if i think of it. Though i cba with RMVB.

And for how they work.. no idea :P I tried learning encoding.. But meh it's quite hard to learn... And requires alot of patience to...

And i can't stand youtube anime either. If i watch anime i must see it in full glories!
How i envy a friend of me with his 82cm Lcd... Watching HQ anime on that must be awesome.

Might be wrong about somethings mentioned above. But iirc that's sort of the basics about the encoding typ and container formats for anime.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 13:22   Link #3
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

That's quite well explained. So what are containers and compressions?
Old 2007-05-14, 14:22   Link #4
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
That's quite well explained. So what are containers and compressions?
Mmm guess i did failed at explaining.

Present = Anime
package for the present = Container
Actual present = the video that is compressed with a certain compression like xvid/h.264

Mmmm see it as a present that is being wrapped in nice paper. That is the container. And the actual present inside is what i said the compression format.
(that's why i said you can't say which format(container) has best quality, as you can use different compressions, and the compression determine video quality.)

Mmm i think this explanation is even worse... Second try...

So basically compression is used to make the video size smaller and trying to keep as much quality as possible. The container just holds the data of the compressed video. Raw video is really large, thats why they compress it with a compression like h.264 or xvid. When the video is compressed you can add the audio and subs. And than trow it in a container... Atleast that's the way i see it...

The reason they use AVI or MKV is because MKV can have dual audio, something AVI can't. And MKV and MP4 has some advantages compare to avi. But heard there hard to edit or something. But just go to wikipedia and typ mkv/mp4/avi for detailed information about the container formats and there advantages and disadvantages.

I gave it my best shot :P if you still don't understand it there isn't much i can do with my limited knowledge of encoding and English, can't get the right words sometimes.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders

Last edited by Sephi; 2007-05-14 at 14:32.
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 14:30   Link #5
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Weei~~~Thank you very much? >< I've learnt a lot^^

I like your present and wrap present idea, it is great!

I wonder what kind of presnet I can give you?
Old 2007-05-14, 15:37   Link #6
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi
Ps: i'm not sure about the difference between x.264 and h.264. But i heard it's sort of adaption of one and the other.
Common misconception, x264 is not a video format/compression/codec. It is an encoder that follows the H.264/AVC standard, which is a video compression scheme. Just as Xvid is an encoder that uses the MPEG-4 ASP standard, however we don't call it by that name (and same for DivX) typically because they have been bastardized implementations of those standards. It would be more proper to always refer to any video stream encoded by x264 simply as H.264 or AVC, since that is what the video is. There is no magical x264 format, just video encoded by x264. Which really should have no purpose in being distinguished from say video encoded by Nero AVC, which is also H.264/AVC video but just made with a different encoder.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 05:13   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I used to watch anime off youtube but recently I have downloaded a few different anime episodes is various file format and wow! Is...is this what an anime can do in terms of graphics? What have I been doing all the time back then, streaming and watching anime online?
Welcome to the world of anime. We need more people here and less people feeding from the garbage Youtube gives. Seriously.

(Now I really wonder, how could you begin to think there wasn't something with more quality than Youtube? I know, I know, YT is lazier and easier, but it's still crappy quality--like 500 times crappier. Compare that to the HD releases some fansubbing groups make, well then, you've got to be really desperate to watch an episode in YT).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote