AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2007-05-13, 03:26   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Testing new pc

I bought this few days ago:

Nox Fonte Urano 600W SLI
Aerocool Extreme Engine 3T Black
Maxtor 250GB SATA II 8MB
Seagate 500GB SATA2 16MB
GSkill 2x1Gb NQ CL5 DDR2 800
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4
XFX 8800GTS XT 320MB DDR3 PCI-e
Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600

I played with some progs and I have some questions

1 - I used cpu-z and this one showed me 1600mhz core speed when idle and 2400mhx when the cpu has some % used. I used other programs and I found out that he multiplier would switch from 6x to 9x. Is this natural? Having a low mult and a high mult! SHouldn't be always with the 9x mult?

2- When formating a HDD in ntfs you got the quick one or the slow one. So if we do the slow one can we be sure that all sectors of the disk are ok? It's a pain in the ass to fill up some % of the 500 gigs hdd and then check the crc.

3- There are several 8800 gts versions in the market even from the same company. The diference is the clocks inside. Is there a program to check them out? I know in the box it said it was the XT version but I like to confirm it. All i got were programs that didn't tell or crashed when it came to display video card info.

4- I dont think I should be doing overclocking coz I never did before and I would not like to change the voltages. So what do I do?
Old 2007-05-13, 05:11   Link #2
theDarkHorse
at what speed must i live

In response to question 3: Have you used RivaTuner? That should be able to tell you what clock speed your graphics card is at. Open up the ForceWare section, ask it to detect frequencies, and it should tell you.

If you're serious about overclocking, get all the information you can: Sites like Overclocker's Club might be useful.

Interesting about the Conroe changing multipliers...never heard of it before. A function of the motherboard, perhaps?
theDarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 05:21   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

1) seems to be realted to intels speed step technology or similar (its about energy safings...)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 05:26   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

1) Related to intel?!

3) Rivatuner... ok dling.

4) Not that serious to the point of risking hardware dmg. Not that rich to buy components every year.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:24   Link #5
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post

2- When formating a HDD in ntfs you got the quick one or the slow one. So if we do the slow one can we be sure that all sectors of the disk are ok? It's a pain in the ass to fill up some % of the 500 gigs hdd and then check the crc.
Personally when I get a new HDD I run a full manufacturers test on it, before I use it. I normally download the utility from their website. So when I go to install I don't mind to do a quick format.

The full format will scan for bad sectors and mark them, whilst the the quick won't.

So if you do a slow one you can be sure that the disk at that time is okay. Get a SMART viewer to get more info about the disk too. I use the one in speedfan.
Old 2007-05-19, 22:23   Link #6
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
I bought this few days ago:

Nox Fonte Urano 600W SLI
Aerocool Extreme Engine 3T Black
Maxtor 250GB SATA II 8MB
Seagate 500GB SATA2 16MB
GSkill 2x1Gb NQ CL5 DDR2 800
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4
XFX 8800GTS XT 320MB DDR3 PCI-e
Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600

I played with some progs and I have some questions

1 - I used cpu-z and this one showed me 1600mhz core speed when idle and 2400mhx when the cpu has some % used. I used other programs and I found out that he multiplier would switch from 6x to 9x. Is this natural? Having a low mult and a high mult! SHouldn't be always with the 9x mult?
That would be the Intel SpeedStep technology (Link), which lets software slow down processor speed when the system is idle.

Changing the multiplier is perfectly fine - in fact, it's the key to overclocking and underclocking your CPU. The core/front side bus remains the same, and is pretty much the blueprint to your CPU's performance (the higher, the better). You can change the multiplier on your own in the BIOS. All Intel SpeedStep does is do it in real time.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 00:30   Link #7
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
4- I dont think I should be doing overclocking coz I never did before and I would not like to change the voltages. So what do I do?
You don't necessarily have to change voltages to do low level overclocking. As long as the overclock is stable it should be fine. However, keep in mind that on some mobos the BIOS on default will automatically adjust the voltages according to the speed you set.

The way to do it would be to go in incremental steps and increasing speed and stress testing the system until the system is nolonger stable. Here are some stress testing tools. Upping the voltage will generally allow you to go at higher speeds stably due to the increasing power requirements.

The final thing to keep track of is the temperature. Heat is the main negative impact of upping the voltage afterall. As long as the heat is under control, increasing the voltage slowly should not be that big of a risk. Just recently, the area I live in had a couple of unsually hot days and my RAM overclock failed. The OC was fine before because the room temperature was low so I got better cooling, but once it warmed up it simply couldn't handle it anymore. I got random crashes whenever I ran stressful apps ie games. As a consequence I had to dial back the whole overclock on my system from lowering the FSB speeds and memory speeds allowing me then to run at lower voltages.

From experience, I never actually have a part die suddenly after an overclock, but I'm not sure about the impact on the overall life span. Usually if you push a part too much the system will simply crash as long as you are going in small incremental steps which is the key to safe overclocking. Just visit some overclocking websites and forums for useful tips. Here are some I visit. 1 , 2, 3

Oh yes and benchmark your system before and after overclocks to determine whether or not there is actually any benefit.