AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-16, 18:29   Link #1
TokyoSnowBunny

Send a message via AIM to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via MSN to TokyoSnowBunny
.ogm to .avi

Does anyone know of a program that will convert .ogm to .avi, and also .mkv to .avi?
TokyoSnowBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 19:01   Link #2
emptyeighty

Virtualdub + avisynth should do.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 19:05   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

mencoder (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/) can, but it runs from the command line. For instance, a command like

Code:
mencoder -o file.avi -ofps 24000/1001 -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1  -vf harddup file.mkv
will encode the audio in file.mkv with mp3, encode the video with XVid (using the one-pass method), then store the result in file.avi. If you want the best possible XVid encoding you need to use the two-pass method. You can find documentation on these techniques with Google.

If you've never used a command-line program, only ones with a graphical interface, you'll either be quickly frustrated by this program or awed by how powerful it is.

mencoder, and the result of the mplayer suite, are free, open-source programs. There are versions for Windows, Linux, and Macs. There are also a few GUI front-ends for it, but I haven't used them. They're listed on the MPlayer site.
Old 2007-05-16, 19:58   Link #4
TokyoSnowBunny

Send a message via AIM to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via MSN to TokyoSnowBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
Virtualdub + avisynth should do.
Where would I find those and are they easy to use?
Old 2007-05-16, 20:01   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Virtualdubmod is relatively straight-forward and easy to use, but AVISynth involves scripting some commands. For what you're trying to do, it shouldn't be too hard - just look around on the internet for the avisynth scripts, I'm sure some must exist (and if not, the instructions for what script to write is probably available somewhere).
Old 2007-05-16, 20:24   Link #6
TokyoSnowBunny

Nothing easier that a dummy like me could use?
Old 2007-05-16, 20:43   Link #7
Nicholi
King of Hosers

For .ogm to .avi the only thing you should really need to do is re-encode the audio. Should, hopefully. Unless some idiot decided to put H.264 into .ogm or some madness. Otherwise you just extract the video/audio, the video will typically be plain Xvid/DivX. Then re-encode the Vorbis audio to MP3, and remux to AVI. Done. You shouldn't need to completely re-encode the video so long as its just Xvid or DivX. So AviSynth really isn't needed in this instance.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 20:53   Link #8
TokyoSnowBunny

Everything that everyone has said is greek to me.
Old 2007-05-16, 20:59   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Lol, nm. I totally just forgot about softsubs in OGM. Oh man that was long ago n_n.

First find out what is inside the .OGM file. What type of video is it? What type of audio is it (it should be Vorbis)? Are there subtitles (they should be .srt)?

Unfortunately I would have to recommend using VDubMod because it would be simpler for you in this instance. You use that to demux the audio/sub streams, then resave the video stream by itself to AVI. If there are subtitles you would need to re-encode the video to hardsub them (i am guessing you want to play this on some hardware device? otherwise re-encoding just cause you like AVI is seriously pointless :P). So at that point you will need to install AviSynth and learn magic. You will use VSFilter to hardsub the video with the subtitles, re-encode to whatever magical codec. Then for the audio again you'll need to re-encode it to MP3, and finally remux to AVI.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 21:21   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about AllToAVI?
Old 2007-05-16, 21:56   Link #11
TokyoSnowBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How about AllToAVI?
I might be able to use it if someone could give me step by step directions.

I'm so sorry I'm being a pain.
Old 2007-05-18, 05:35   Link #12
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Add file

options menu comes up

select file to transcode

Select bitrate options: See dropdown menu for options (Self Explanatory)

Select codec: see dropdown menu for options (Self Explanatory)

Select Audio bitrate: See dropdown menu (self Explanatory)

Add to Job

Execute job

That's the general idea.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 23:17   Link #13
TokyoSnowBunny

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I figured out how to work all to avi but there problem now is the subtitles. I have no idea how to put them back. I don't get any subtitles when I play the file. Can someone tell me how to fix that?
Old 2007-05-19, 00:31   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you managed to get the subtitles out of the original file and into their own file (usually a .srt or .ass file that can be opened with Notepad), then just rename that file to the name of your .avi and your player should load the subtitles on its own. If you're using Windows Media Player you may have to goad the player to show the softsubs, though.

If you haven't already, to isolate the subs, open the original video in VirtualDubMod, find the "streams" option, and mux the subtitles file (should be easily to pick out, it'd be the smallest one - the other streams are the video and audio).
Old 2007-05-19, 01:35   Link #15
TokyoSnowBunny

Thank you so much. I was able to do it. Thanks for all your help again.
Old 2007-05-21, 03:40   Link #16
Elsa

FYI: winavi also can convert ogm/mkv to avi. It is much easier.
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 04:04   Link #17
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Can't see if t has support for h264? are you sure it handles mkv and ogm? I find no mention of it on their ste. Also how much easier is it? Oh never find its not freeware.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote