AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 184 76.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 13.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 3.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 2.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-05-22, 10:14   Link #201
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
tacobueno, I never said that Nia is going to be one-dimensional character, I am just saying that the plot judging from the way it is set up might lead to another plain and boring pairing to appear Simon and Nia where Nia is a sad and silent princess, yet helps Simon on his feet who helps her in return and so on. I really hope thet they wont do that and pull something more origional thus not reducing Nia into a plain sad0face character, whos purpose is to be around simon, mostly.

Yet, seeing what pathetic work is done on bigger half of other characters, I dont have much hope about it.

But yeah its not charcter driven anime in anyways, the story and the plot makes up for the dull work on characters and their relationship.

I hope none of these things that I guessed to happen would happen and Gainax would start to bring some depth into the characters instead of leaving them rather plain throughout the whole story...
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 10:47   Link #202
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I'm actually looking forward to seeing how one develops into a Captain Harlock.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 12:42   Link #203
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
tacobueno, I never said that Nia is going to be one-dimensional character, I am just saying that the plot judging from the way it is set up might lead to another plain and boring pairing to appear Simon and Nia where Nia is a sad and silent princess, yet helps Simon on his feet who helps her in return and so on. I really hope thet they wont do that and pull something more origional thus not reducing Nia into a plain sad0face character, whos purpose is to be around simon, mostly.

Yet, seeing what pathetic work is done on bigger half of other characters, I dont have much hope about it.

But yeah its not charcter driven anime in anyways, the story and the plot makes up for the dull work on characters and their relationship.

I hope none of these things that I guessed to happen would happen and Gainax would start to bring some depth into the characters instead of leaving them rather plain throughout the whole story...
Nice job missing the point... once again. Nia is not a sad, silent princess but rather a curious noble girl with no memories whatsoever that keeps asking questions to Simon the whole time... although I'm being unfair here as I just know that due to the OWS/magazines rather than the show itself.
7Th is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 13:43   Link #204
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
caught this episode only today so most of what i wanted to say have already been said. Episode 1 already hinted that Kamina might not be alive/around in the future so i was expecting Kamina to go sooner or later though it still came as a surprise for him to go at such an early stage with 2/3 of the series left.

Not pleasant since Kamina is probably the most well loved character after Yoko(for some) in this series but inevitable if Simon is to develop to become the man he is in the future since Simon have always let Kamina lead the way, it ll be interesting to see Simon learn to move ahead on his own.

on the side note, anime is quickly becoming predictable nowdays >.>, the first thing i thought about after seeing Kamina kiss Yoko is, "Oh, Kamina is going to die this episode".
__________________
Jazzrat is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 15:34   Link #205
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
The implication of having sex with Yoko when he came back was strikes 2-infinity imo. He swung his cape like his dad as he left was the icing on the cake imo.

Hey, gained another "1".
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 15:40   Link #206
Tsukou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Because I don't see the link anywhere present in this argument about the ages. Here

Though this was back in like pre-production period, and such, but there's no point in really fixing their ages, just because they don't look the part, they still are. And I like the defensiveness of the community when it comes Yoko's age.
Tsukou is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 16:00   Link #207
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
Because I don't see the link anywhere present in this argument about the ages. Here

Though this was back in like pre-production period, and such, but there's no point in really fixing their ages, just because they don't look the part, they still are. And I like the defensiveness of the community when it comes Yoko's age.
Frankly, I don't see any reason to believe the characters are any age until we get on screen confirmation. Heck, given all the sturm und drang this issue has produced, I might even settle for a clarification from Gainax. However, I still think the work is what counts.

If Yoko continues to develop -- and I'm not talking about character development -- then maybe we should start to wonder. Even then, we don't know unless the character or Gainax says something definitive.
__________________
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 16:02   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
(follows link) .... meh.... I should start advocating that Yoko and Simon are actually 140 and Kamina is 170 because of radiation mutations over generations.

Those animators *really* need to get out more ...
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 16:06   Link #209
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
Because I don't see the link anywhere present in this argument about the ages. Here

Though this was back in like pre-production period, and such, but there's no point in really fixing their ages, just because they don't look the part, they still are. And I like the defensiveness of the community when it comes Yoko's age.
Pre-production is not official until it's on the 4 official websites character sections, DVD inserts, anime magazines etc.. No defensiveness about it. If Yoko is anything below the age of 17, then it's considered lolicon anime.

No one wants to be labeled a lolicon or have this series blackballed because of Yoko's age. The companies behind this are prob in the same boat as the fans. This is suppose to be another cash cow for Gainax and Konami. Truly doubtful that any R1 network would touch this if Yoko is 14. R1 distributors would cringe at this title too. R1 stores aren't about to put lolicon anime on their shelves either imo. Less money for those who made this title.

Even worse, what do you think those Japanese parents are going to do if it becomes official that lolicon anime was shown to their 10-13 year olds?

The best thing for them to do is not to publish any ages imo and let the viewers decide imo.

Now back to those Kamina death flags.....
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 16:20   Link #210
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I see your point, better to just call them 'teens in a rough world' ... except that I'd be hard-pressed to call Yoko "lolicon" whatever her age is.
(but if she's 14 and looks like that... seasoned combat jailbait from a sci-fi fantasy world perhaps).

Just to show how silly the situation is: anyone remember a character from Star Trek Voyager first season? She was only five years old (but fully grown because her people only lived about ten years or something) and had a relationship with a craggy barkeep/cook alien.

And fantasies march ever onward....
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 17:45   Link #211
outlaw97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Seriously guys, the fact that this ruckus over an ANIMATED FICTIONAL CHARACTER'S age is now causing more noise than Kamina's death, is disturbing.

Kamina would punch you in the face, and say,

"No matter which way you cut it, a hottie is a hottie!"
outlaw97 is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 17:47   Link #212
X_Danny_X
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
1) See Aohige's post and quina's followup. And yes, I do read japanese... ... there's ambiguity about their ages, probably on purpose.

2) I was not referring to Yoko specifically, yes she is very attractive both in looks and personality. I was referring to your insult towards people who liked waifish women. You're not "telling it like it is", you're making a negative value judgement about people who find other types of women attractive.
"dont get why dudes like non breasted toothpick looking type girls unless they have some little pedo in them if they are adults." is an insult.

You're using some terms not in their accepted usage:
1) "puberty" extends down to age 11 or 12 and doesn't necessarily include getting a figure, boobs, or hips. A girl who has entered puberty is capable of getting pregnant.
2) "lolicon" is a murky term that doesn't have a single meaning. It can refer to fashion, to a waifish type of figure, or in a "lolita" sense to being attracted to post-pubescent girls typically from ages 12-16 (usually waifish). Some people use it to refer to having warm cuddly feelings ("moe") for younger girls but there's some disagreement over that and whether it has a sexual or a protective sense about it. And yes... true and/or fantasy pedophiles (those attracted to girls under 11/pre-pubescent) slip in under the tent as part of the mix but they're not the total mix.

other type of women attractive! you hit the nail in the head, i was referring to lolicon/lolita, not women!!! the term was given its meaning when i responded to the previous poster, if you are coming with this multiple meaning scenario then you should of know which one i was referring too since i responded to the previous poster and that poster mentioned the age. girls that are young teens (very young) and target much older men. that is what i was responding too and I guess you didn't bother to read my whole post cause I said if there are women like that, again women, (young adult to adult) with that look then i have no problems. if you like flat chested, no ass, chicken leg women that have a face of a 10 year old, then more power to you.

son when i said puberty i ment them being young! sheesh, here you go making all those 1 and 2 points about it, dear lord way to read too much into it.
__________________

Last edited by X_Danny_X; 2007-05-22 at 17:58.
X_Danny_X is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 17:51   Link #213
quina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via MSN to quina
may be we need "age discussion tread".... its getting over the head, starting to annoy me - -
__________________
quina is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 18:15   Link #214
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Danny_X View Post
girls that are young teens (very young) and target much older men.
so the way you see it is that loli like characters are just designed for older men cause its only natural that older men will go pedophilic when they see girls at prepuberty stage...that is really screwed up way of thinking...you have your opinion we have ours...not everyone likes lolis (such as yourself) but not everyone who likes them are old men stereotypical pedofiles...and the word like doesnt have to mean lust which is what you are being confused over...have to know my fav character is a loli and i cant be considered old...

and yes we should stop this ag debate now its going nowhere...
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 19:35   Link #215
nubby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
so the way you see it is that loli like characters are just designed for older men cause its only natural that older men will go pedophilic when they see girls at prepuberty stage...that is really screwed up way of thinking...you have your opinion we have ours...not everyone likes lolis (such as yourself) but not everyone who likes them are old men stereotypical pedofiles...and the word like doesnt have to mean lust which is what you are being confused over...have to know my fav character is a loli and i cant be considered old...

and yes we should stop this ag debate now its going nowhere...

He might have over generalized but you can't deny that a lot of adults like lolicons. Heck the people who draw them are freakin adults or older adults. If lolicons are popular and adults like them, why cant you put two and two together? He has an argument but you are just bashing him for making his comment.
nubby is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 19:59   Link #216
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby View Post
He might have over generalized but you can't deny that a lot of adults like lolicons. Heck the people who draw them are freakin adults or older adults. If lolicons are popular and adults like them, why cant you put two and two together? He has an argument but you are just bashing him for making his comment.
You can put 2 and 2 together, but not in a mainstream title targeting kids and teens being shown at 8:30 AM. The primary target for this program is the same population that watches Yes! Pretty Cure, hence the animosity shown by Gainax for that title. If this was a title shown at 1:30 AM, then there wouldn't be any problems. People would brush it off as a lolicon title and that would be that.

However, Gainax and Konami is choosing to go the cash cow route (anime, online game, card game), so lolicon won't work with their plans imo.

Lolicon content appreciaters aren't mainstream. In fact, people worry about them beng pedophiles. In R1, you can't get your computer repaired anymore without worries that the repairer is going to scan your computer and report you to the police if something suspicious is on it. Photos that you take to a drugstore for developing are also monitored. If it is suspicious, a police officer will meet you at the store when you pick up your pictures to question you.

--------

We tried to discuss other stuff but it started again.

We prob won't get an answer because Gainax and Konami have too much to lose. So we need to discuss something else.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 20:03   Link #217
Krazy8s
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 28
Well, toss me into the corner with the ones that are happy Kamina is dead (and hopefully stays dead). I couldn't have been the only one who was annoyed by him getting all the spotlight and being too much of a perfect character; so much I couldn't see him having any character development at all. Well, besides dying and helping Simon mature into a spitting image of himself one day.

oh... and the fact that he hogged the lovely Yoko all to himself! That swine! Damn him...

Heres looking to the episode where Simon shines bright as a mature badass Kamina-like and hopefully with Yoko by his side
Krazy8s is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 21:12   Link #218
negativeone
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GTA Canada
Age: 22
ok people are going way off topic here this is not the lolicon discussion thread is the episode 8 discussion thread.

anyways, back on topic i just saw subbed episode and like many people said before it was pretty epic and sad to see kamina die(well not really but for some ppl it was). however i think that it was the rigth episode for him to die. simon had to get out of his shadow sooner or later and in my opinion this was the rigth episode to do it. the only thing that i dislike is that now everything is going to be slower and less fu**ed up as before, IMO it wont be the same as before.
__________________
C:\Documents and Settings\Carlos Portillo\My Documents\My Pictures\gurrenrz7.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.
negativeone is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 21:29   Link #219
tacobueno
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I didn't know this show was specifically targeted at younger Japanese viewers. This is exactly what those kids need, more GAR and MANLY, less moe stuff haha. The world will be a better place in the future

Wonder if it would be a stretch to think maybe the Japanese government is supporting Gainax to make more shows like this to counter things like Lucky Star haha! (I actually don't think that shows too bad, but it fits a good example for the purpose of this post)
tacobueno is offline  
Old 2007-05-22, 21:46   Link #220
X_Danny_X
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
so the way you see it is that loli like characters are just designed for older men cause its only natural that older men will go pedophilic when they see girls at prepuberty stage...that is really screwed up way of thinking...you have your opinion we have ours...not everyone likes lolis (such as yourself) but not everyone who likes them are old men stereotypical pedofiles...and the word like doesn't have to mean lust which is what you are being confused over...have to know my fav character is a loli and i cant be considered old...

and yes we should stop this ag debate now its going nowhere...

did you read the part when i said if you are the same age of the girls i have no problem? is anybody reading the whole post? the part of lolicon i was talking about was the Lolita complex, it refers to an attraction to girls below the age of consent, and not older women that look young, cause that was the lolicon meaning that i reply too and was talking about (Vexx gave multiple meaning to the word) and I just replied back that I am not attracted to the Lolita complex, though through my use of words Vexx took it as an attack on liking women who look young or guys that are the same age as the girls and liking them which is not the case.

i never made no generalization of to what you said in your post or mention the word pedophilia comment like you. it is hard to consider pedophilia if you are the same age as the girls.
__________________
X_Danny_X is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.