AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2007-05-26, 08:42   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're using a firewall that is based on iptables (usually most of the default firewalls in Linux), you'll need to add a rule that opens your BT port. You'll need to do this as root.

1) Check the rules in place:
# iptables -L -v
will list nearly all the rules except for those in tables like "nat". Those don't matter for BT.

2) Find the file that loads the rules at boot. On RedHat/Fedora-flavored systems, this is the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables. I don't know where this file resides in Ubuntu, but I'm sure someone else here can help.

3) Add these two rules somewhere in the list of rules before the last rule which is usually a default deny rule:
Code:
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d your.external.ip.address --dport your.bt.port -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -d 0/0 --dport your.bt.port -j ACCEPT
The latter rule may not be necessary if the default OUTPUT policy is ACCEPT.

If you are behind a router, your.external.ip.address is the address that talks to the router; it could be a 192.168.x.y type of address. If you trust your router, you can just disable firewalling on the machines behind it, then you won't have these problems at all.
Old 2007-05-26, 19:42   Link #22
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It was firestarter, but it was having problems starting up as it is anyways. Not to mention that I didn't find it very useful, so I simply uninstalled it.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 06:14   Link #23
Navel

You can also give a try to Transmission. Works better than ktorrent anyway.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 06:25   Link #24
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
You can also give a try to Transmission. Works better than ktorrent anyway.
Does any BT variant work well without the right holes poked in the firewall
Old 2007-05-28, 04:11   Link #25
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I'll stick with Azureus. It's doing extremely well in the Linux environment just like it did in MacOS X. I'm most familiar with it, other than uTorrent, anyways. Thanks everyone for the help.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote