AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2007-05-22, 20:46   Link #1
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Sudden uTorrent slowdown

uTorrent's been getting a little wonky on me lately. I'm connecting to less than 1/3 of the seeds and peers I usually connect to, and my download speeds are really suffering, but upload's still running at the usual speeds.

For example, usually I'd get at least 70+kb/s on popular torrents like Lucky Star and Nipponsei's music releases, often hitting 120kb/s per torrent, but today, Lucky Star's going at 4-10kb/s and the Nipponsei releases from yesterday (in my timezone) have been downloading for 9+ hours already when they usually complete in less than 30 minutes.

If it'll help, I restarted my computer shortly before these sh!tty download speeds started, so I don't know if something happened then.

Can anyone help me?
Old 2007-05-22, 22:48   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Is your hard drive heavily fragmented or nearly full?

Do you have a router? Were its settings changed recently? Try to restart it (although this probably isn't an issue if your upload speed is fine).

Who is your internet service provider (Comcast, Adelphia, etc.)? Do you use your connection heavily? Certain ISPs tend to cap users who transfer too much; if your ISP is one of them, it's possible that you've overstepped one of their unspoken bounds and they're now throttling your speeds.
Old 2007-05-22, 23:02   Link #3
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
In addition to the ISP suggestion that Ledgem said, are you using private or public trackers? Depending on what you download, downloading from public trackers run the risk of being reported to the ISP in which the ISP's usual first response is to cap the download or even close all ports but the ones browsers use such as port 80.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 09:14   Link #4
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Erm, thanks for your help guys, but I think I've found part of where the problem is coming from. It seems like my ports aren't forwarded even though they still look properly forwarded in my router.

That's the part that's got my scratching my head now. The little icon in between the DHT and total download speed readouts on the status bar is now yellow, as opposed to green earlier in the day, and the port test thingy I get from the Speed Guide dialog states that my port isn't forwarded either.

I've tried switching to a new port for uTorrent, but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 2007-05-24, 03:38   Link #5
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Did your internal IP change?
Old 2007-05-24, 11:07   Link #6
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Don't think so... ipconfig from commandline still states the same one as the one for my computer in my router's page.

EDIT: Also, even though the icon in the status bar is green right now, the port test thingy still states the port as closed.
Old 2007-05-25, 19:44   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Silly question, but did you check any software firewall that may be blocking your port? I'm not familiar with uTorrent, but Azureus does differentiate between a NAT router issue and a firewall issue (NAT being yellow warning and firewall red).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 06:18   Link #8
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Er... I think I need to shoot myself for not thinking of something simple earlier. I restarted my router earlier today and everything went back to normal.

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time, guys. m-(_ _)-m
Old 2007-05-26, 11:29   Link #9
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowrazoR View Post
Er... I think I need to shoot myself for not thinking of something simple earlier. I restarted my router earlier today and everything went back to normal.

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time, guys. m-(_ _)-m
One thing to keep in mind is if it keeps happening every so often it could be due to TCP/UDP Timeout for connections, as by default on most devices they are set to 3600 seconds. BT makes loads of connections (as does most p2p apps) and your router's connection table will get swamped. Unless your router lets u change the TCP/UDP time out for connections you have the following choices.

Reboot your router when it gets slow.

Limit your BT softwares maximum connections.

Flash your router with something like dd-wrt which allows you to change the settings. I would NOT recommend anyone to do this, as it can brick your router.

For a more detailed explanation based on the dd-wrt firmware you can check out the following link.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown

Azureus has something about it too, but I have to say I'm a utorrent or ktorrent person myself!

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php...nnection_dying
Old 2007-05-29, 03:18   Link #10
Psychommunity

Similar problems with me, but I've already consulted my ISP and they've stopped my Upload from affecting my total bandwidth usage, but I usually end up having to wait 2 months instead of 1 for it to reset.

I've been targetted twice for downloading so much un-capped.
Psychommunity is offline   Reply With Quote