AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-02, 04:46   Link #201
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Yuuno ordered Nanoha to hit Reinforce with as much MAGIC damage as she can during A's. Will that do?
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concidering every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.

Edit: The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2007-06-02 at 05:13.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:47   Link #202
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Yuuno ordered Nanoha to hit Reinforce with as much MAGIC damage as she can during A's. Will that do?
I don't know... I can bet their counter would be

"But that could mean just any spell attacks!"

We have to go right back to the source... back when people first wondered why Fate wasn't well-done after being hit by Starlight Breaker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concerning every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.
See?

Quote:
Edit: The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?
It's not MY words
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:48   Link #203
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concerning every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.
I think it was more along the lines of not harming Hayate's body in order to save both her and Fate.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:52   Link #204
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
I think it was more along the lines of not harming Hayate's body in order to save both her and Fate.
He also says 'don't hold anything back' converting physical damage into spiritual damage would do so. Besides, concidering you would be attacking Hayate's soul, wouldn't that be even more dangerous?
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:54   Link #205
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
He also says 'don't hold anything back' converting physical damage into spiritual damage would do so. Besides, concidering you would be attacking Hayate's soul, wouldn't that be even more dangerous?
...Stop using the word 'soul'

I didn't mean it as in LITERALLY her soul ...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:55   Link #206
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?
Craft Dmg.
Mana Dmg.
Linker Dmg.
Spell-Cast Dmg.
...

---
Or my own personal favorite...
Lyrical Damage.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:56   Link #207
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
He also says 'don't hold anything back' converting physical damage into spiritual damage would do so. Besides, concidering you would be attacking Hayate's soul, wouldn't that be even more dangerous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...Stop using the word 'soul'

I didn't mean it as in LITERALLY her soul ...
Hehe. Spiritual damage? So YOU were the one who started that.

I like to think of it as more of HP and MP damage.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:58   Link #208
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...Stop using the word 'soul'

I didn't mean it as in LITERALLY her soul ...
Then what else are we supposed to be using? You're the one claiming that they're not attacked on a physical level.

Yeesh, I feel as if no-one read my post using defense instead of beams as an argument.

After all, the only reason this started was because people could survive hit without a scratch on their body.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:59   Link #209
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Then what else are we supposed to be using? You're the one claiming that they're not attacked on a physical level.
I've already change it to "magical properties".

I'm not the one who first said the Starlight Breaker does Magic damage only... Damn, where are the more experienced people when you need them?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 04:59   Link #210
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
After all, the only reason this started was because people could survive hit without a scratch on their body.
When does this episode air.
I'm sure the no-blood and few scratches might be explained with air-times and audience very easily.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:01   Link #211
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Then what else are we supposed to be using? You're the one claiming that they're not attacked on a physical level.

Yeesh, I feel as if no-one read my post using defense instead of beams as an argument.

After all, the only reason this started was because people could survive hit without a scratch on their body.
I, for one am not discounting the role of Barrier Jackets in defense. But of course, it also functions as physical defense aside from magic defense. Getting thrown thru buildings proves it's worth despite looking like cosplay costumes.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:16   Link #212
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
When does this episode air.
I'm sure the no-blood and few scratches might be explained with air-times and audience very easily.
1:10 AM? At this time I'd expect flying limbs and decapitated magical girls
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:22   Link #213
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Umm, I think Keroko's brought up discussions about defense would be a good topic right now.

The barrier jacket design never really mattered much. It defends you against both spells and physical weapons all the same. The no cuts and no scratches even after smashing into buildings makes this all the more valid, right?
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:25   Link #214
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Umm, I think Keroko's brought up discussions about defense would be a good topic right now.

The barrier jacket design never really mattered much. It defends you against both spells and physical weapons all the same. The no cuts and no scratches even after smashing into buildings makes this all the more valid, right?
*Wave hand in front of face*

The Barrier jacket is a fancy piece of armor, yes yes... Why else would it be there...

Like the "Phase Shift"...

(Yes, I KNOW they work differently...)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:27   Link #215
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
*Wave hand in front of face*

The Barrier jacket is a fancy piece of armor, yes yes... Why else would it be there...

Like the "Phase Shift"...

(Yes, I KNOW they work differently...)
Sooo, are the parties already in agreement?
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:41   Link #216
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Sooo, are the parties already in agreement?
I have never doubt the Barrier Jacket as a form of protection Nor can I deny that they provide some level of defence for both physical and magic base damage.

(Ah ha! The term does exist officially! I'm not crazy!!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHA...!)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 05:44   Link #217
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I have never doubt the Barrier Jacket as a form of protection Nor can I deny that they provide some level of defence for both physical and magic base damage.

(Ah ha! The term does exist officially! I'm not crazy!!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHA...!)
Actually, I think you've gone crazy AFTER the confirmation of your claims.

I think you should quote Thisguy's post here to avoid confusion.
Ah, nevermind, I'll do it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy View Post
Now that I noticed, I've been using that setting without thinking much, I'm relatively new for this series myself (it was even after A's airing)

After quick reading through wiki, it was first explained in 1st season DVD booklet (which I don't have), and official page mentions about it too.
(Official page's summary for A's Ep11, as far as I've found, clearly says about it)

Also A's manga mentions about these "Non-lethal" settings in last episode and (according to Wiki) Novel too makes explanation of it.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 06:05   Link #218
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I have never doubt the Barrier Jacket as a form of protection Nor can I deny that they provide some level of defence for both physical and magic base damage.

(Ah ha! The term does exist officially! I'm not crazy!!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHA...!)
Unfortunately, this still doesn't prove your 'spirit/soul/linker/watachamacallit damage' claim (as I never denied the existece of the magical damage term, I just found magical damage and physical damage to have the same result, namely physical injury).

After all, this was the chapter ThisGuy was reffering to (Note Hayate explaining the rules about none lethal attacks in the bottom right frame):



and this was the result:



Now, you try and explain to me why all those people are charred and dirty, or what all that rubble is doing there if the attacks were supposed to be non-physical.

Seems like my claim about down-powering your attacks is far more likely.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2007-06-02 at 06:31.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 07:16   Link #219
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Unfortunately, this still doesn't prove your 'spirit/soul/linker/watachamacallit damage' claim (as I never denied the existece of the magical damage term, I just found magical damage and physical damage to have the same result, namely physical injury).
"Magical Property".

Quote:
After all, this was the chapter ThisGuy was reffering to (Note Hayate explaining the rules about none lethal attacks in the bottom right frame):



and this was the result:



Now, you try and explain to me why all those people are charred and dirty, or what all that rubble is doing there if the attacks were supposed to be non-physical.

Seems like my claim about down-powering your attacks is far more likely.
Well, that's easy

Magical attacks affect Barrier Jackets because they're magic-base to begin with, hence their jackets are in a mess.

And a physical attack can also be "non-lethal", doesn't mean it's purely magic base. Which would explain all the rubble.

And I've got official info as back up for my 'magic damage' claim on Starlight Breaker
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 07:31   Link #220
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Unfortunately, this still doesn't prove your 'spirit/soul/linker/watachamacallit damage' claim (as I never denied the existece of the magical damage term, I just found magical damage and physical damage to have the same result, namely physical injury).

After all, this was the chapter ThisGuy was reffering to (Note Hayate explaining the rules about none lethal attacks in the bottom right frame):



and this was the result:



Now, you try and explain to me why all those people are charred and dirty, or what all that rubble is doing there if the attacks were supposed to be non-physical.

Seems like my claim about down-powering your attacks is far more likely.
Three possible answers and two relative questions. You may take your pick.

Here goes:


I was under the impression that the clashing S-ranked attacks far surpassed the pre-set parameters of the training room and caused a major breakdown in the equipment, which leads to explosion.

OR

When did they say that physical damage are prohibited in the match? Hayate said non-lethal and not non-physical. Signum, Vita and the others wouldn't fit in, otherwise.

OR

It was just a case of the producers not thinking as far ahead as us.

OR

We could always bring up the issue of why did the water gushed upward when Nanoha fired a purely magic damage Starlight Breaker on Fate during S1?

OR

Why wasn't there a scratch on Uminari City after Reinforce 1 fired off her Starlight Breaker?




Basically, we're only arguing ourselves into a corner and out of it later.

Personally, I think the concepts of the several types of damages are not as well thought out by the producers, so there are several noticeable plot holes that can be seen if you look closely enough.

Like I said, this isn't STAR WARS.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.