AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-05-04, 18:57   Link #61
Nicholi
King of Hosers
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 31
O' dear lord. We've created a worse monster then before. Before it was just H.264 in AVI. Now we have VfW H.264 in MKV. What is next P2A ;-;, how much more can you truly blaspheme and still have no clue.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 19:21   Link #62
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
O' dear lord. We've created a worse monster then before. Before it was just H.264 in AVI. Now we have VfW H.264 in MKV. What is next P2A ;-;, how much more can you truly blaspheme and still have no clue.
Theora in asf?
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 21:18   Link #63
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Western Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS5 View Post
Blocking in dark areas is a known issue with x264, but I have no idea why this does not happen to you when using x264 in VFW mode, and it should not be that noticeable. Do you see the same artifacts in x264 encodes done by others? Try going to the Zones tab in the Video configuration tab, selecting your favorite profile and typing in --aq-strength 1.1 in the Custom Commandline Options text box. Press Update to confirm the change and encode another video. Did this fix your problem? Most likely not, but I'm trying to narrow down the problem.
1.1 is far too high to be used in most encodes, you will just waste bitrate. Better to try values such as 0.3 or so.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 03:34   Link #64
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
asf is the win, heh.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 04:45   Link #65
LS5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Netherlands, The
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
1.1 is far too high to be used in most encodes, you will just waste bitrate. Better to try values such as 0.3 or so.
I know. The only reason I suggested him to use this value was because I wanted to test if his issue was encoder related. If this does not fix his problem, it should be quite obvious he has somehow managed to greatly screw up his decoder (turning off deblocking in FFDShow, anyone?).
LS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 14:26   Link #66
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
H.264 muxed from AVI to MKV is just as bad as plain H.264 in AVI!
It's just an AVI wrapped in an MKV. Don't do it.

Try with just the x264 commandline and see what happens. Personally I'd guess on either a decoder bork or some MeGUI fishyness. Can you upload a sample?
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 20:38   Link #67
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Hint: MKV in itself isn't any less playable on slower computers than AVI is.
in this day and age of fansubbing, mkv basically means you're also getting h264.
__________________
Just some old fart passing by in the wind.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 19:53   Link #68
Nicholi
King of Hosers
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 31
In this day and age ignorance is still never an excuse :P. Try to tell the Judge "you didn't know X was a law." I think you'll find he won't care and you are still responsible for your actions (and what you say).

Not to mention there are some people "in this day and age" who aren't anal and use Xvid+Vorbis in MKV. Who'da thunk it, not using AVI @_@ zoomj.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 23:02   Link #69
Supersonic
King of the l33t
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Send a message via AIM to Supersonic
How can a container format look better than another container format? When extracted from its container, the MPEG data is exactly the same.* I'm not trying to denigrate your precious format, as I appreciate its ability to support multiple audio tracks and soft subtitles. But let's be real here.

*With the exception of obsolete containers that break newer codecs.
__________________
Webmaster of Shin-Getter.net and ToyBoxfansubs.com

Bot Provider for #shin-getter, #toybox and #huzzah

Need a bot? Ask me and we'll talk.
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 02:51   Link #70
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
*With the exception of obsolete containers that break newer codecs.
Which is exactly what avi is
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 20:39   Link #71
Nicholi
King of Hosers
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
How can a container format look better than another container format? When extracted from its container, the MPEG data is exactly the same.* I'm not trying to denigrate your precious format, as I appreciate its ability to support multiple audio tracks and soft subtitles. But let's be real here.
Who said anything about video looking better in one container or another? Not to denigrate your posting ability but I haven't seen someone say that yet, or maybe I just ignored it because it would obviously be the dumbest thing in the world. However I have noted a large number of people tell Power2All (as in the past when he plainly ignored them because he is a genius) that VfW H.264 should not be used. But hey its all just opinion according to Power2All. No such thing as facts and standards in the world, just opinions.

But you are right muxing from one container to another will have no effect on video quality. However x264 video encoded from the VfW encoder is quite different from video encoded from the CLI (command-line) encoder, and not just in terms of quality. This is the problem which Power2All was rightly flamed for some 6 months ago (or something I think?) because he was stubbornly and ignorantly refusing to listen to anyone with any sense of encoding knowledge whatsoever. Can we stop the cancerous growth now, or do we need to continue being idiots who cannot take useful and valid input anymore?
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 02:16   Link #72
Supersonic
King of the l33t
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Send a message via AIM to Supersonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Who said anything about video looking better in one container or another?
Wasn't that what the OP said in this very thread? Or did I misunderstand him?
__________________
Webmaster of Shin-Getter.net and ToyBoxfansubs.com

Bot Provider for #shin-getter, #toybox and #huzzah

Need a bot? Ask me and we'll talk.
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 05:56   Link #73
emptyeighty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
Using MKV now and MeGUI and hell, it looks better then indeed on VirtualDub..
It's not an easy to parse sentence, but he says something about MeGUI - so not only about container.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 19:54   Link #74
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indonesia
Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
I think there're at least two (fansub) teams using x264 in avi right now. >_>
__________________
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 20:23   Link #75
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
I think there're at least two (fansub) teams using x264 in avi right now. >_>
What? You want us to start another witch-hunt?
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 20:59   Link #76
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indonesia
Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
one is new team (or so I think) and the other is old team.
later one doesn't even mention it at all in the filename.
they are a2a and serin
__________________
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 21:03   Link #77
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
one is new team (or so I think) and the other is old team.
later one doesn't even mention it at all in the filename.
they are a2a and serin
Zoids-Anime too...
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 21:15   Link #78
Harukalover
In exile
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: There! Not there! There!
Age: 26
I wonder if the a2a encodes bork CoreAVC + YV12 just like all of the Serin ones?

Anyone bored enough to check?

EDIT: What to look for (if somebody bothers to check):

__________________
"Brainpower without willpower is no power."
Harukalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 22:00   Link #79
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
I wonder if the a2a encodes bork CoreAVC + YV12 just like all of the Serin ones?

Anyone bored enough to check?

EDIT: What to look for (if somebody bothers to check):
Hahaha. Reminds me of the days of olde when foolish encoders used 3ivx.
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 04:46   Link #80
martino
makes no files now
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Harukalover, I get the Serin ones to play fine with CoreAVC + YV12, though when Haali is used for splitting it breaks IIRC. Been a long time since I last checked...
__________________
"Light and shadow don't battle each other, because they're two sides of the same coin"
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.