AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-06, 00:25   Link #21
kct
Walk dat crank yo
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kay El, M'sia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
I don't think 'how many stakes do we need' is objective to this, rather 'how many stakes will we use when the party starts' will be more proper >_< . Or an 'UNLIMITED STAKE WORKS'.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 00:53   Link #22
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Well, eg posted some screenshots of the upcoming anime. The designs, I must say, look very faithful. Well, Miyako's hair looks a bit too light coloured.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 01:31   Link #23
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Well, eg posted some screenshots of the upcoming anime. The designs, I must say, look very faithful. Well, Miyako's hair looks a bit too light coloured.
The artwork looks pretty good. Though the shape of the eye is one of Naru Nanao's trademark style. (though she's not the artist for the anime)
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 08:38   Link #24
kct
Walk dat crank yo
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kay El, M'sia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
Other than the colours are being slightly bright (nothing unusual though), I got to agree with the rest, the animation is very, very faithful to the original designs.

I'm think that they're pulling everything they can to make sure that it looks good, in order not to risk alienating fans of the game (something in which most redesigns have tend to overlook at times, and something which SHAFT have a reputation for). It's like BMW and Chris Bangle's designs (if you know what I mean).

Last edited by kct; 2007-06-06 at 22:20.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 17:36   Link #25
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moriya Shrine, Gensokyo
Age: 21
Alot of people keep getting mad about the anime and the games designs. Saying that the anime looks bad. I think it looks great. Not better, because the original is amazing.

But whatever. I'm still looking forward to this.
__________________

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Shadow Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 20:51   Link #26
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I have a feeling this show is going to turn out really bad. not because of the character designs or anything, (those were all taken from the game btw) but because of the pathetic attempt to cash in on a franchise that is so common among dating sim turned anime productions.

hopefully they learned their lesson on how to make a better product and will follow storylines similar to the wind OVAs, and not the original TV series, if they have any say in what goes on in the production that is.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 00:29   Link #27
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moriya Shrine, Gensokyo
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I have a feeling this show is going to turn out really bad. not because of the character designs or anything, (those were all taken from the game btw) but because of the pathetic attempt to cash in on a franchise that is so common among dating sim turned anime productions.
The same thing could happen with alot of eroge games. Frankly, was Kanon 2006 the same way? Except they were making something better so I guess they weren't cashing out on a good franchise. If Air was remade...now that'd be a different story...
__________________

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Shadow Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 02:15   Link #28
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
You guys make me chuckle. Pimping out your story is something completely logical if you're a high profile software company. Now, the ef anime was bound to happen. It was probably written in stone by God itself, taking in the fact that minori had anime adaptation offers on their table even before the first tale. was released.

But if you want batshit crazy speculations right off the bat, I'd say this adaptation will kick ass (basing this SOLELY on the few screenshots of characters, because anything else is pretty much unknown).
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 02:17   Link #29
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Miko View Post
The same thing could happen with alot of eroge games. Frankly, was Kanon 2006 the same way? Except they were making something better so I guess they weren't cashing out on a good franchise. If Air was remade...now that'd be a different story...
I'd say yeah in a a way. It was airing before the debut of the game on the PSP (2/2007).

Air was upscaled for BD release with a kickass new OP.

And I agree with Toua.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 02:36   Link #30
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well, using kanon 2006 is a bad example.

since its a second attempt at turning the series into an anime and all...

being a die hard kanon fan there, orion, shows some bias

I'm a huge to heart 2 and wind a breath of heart fan. but I'm not going to lie to you. the TV series were a C-, shuffle memories which was a blatant cash in was a D-, so releasing any type of 'Game' adaptation anime is always an uphill battle.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 03:12   Link #31
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
shuffle memories which was a blatant cash in
That it was, but you're forgetting about the first SHUFFLE! series which, despite its flaws received a positive response from the niché crowds.
Quote:
so releasing any type of 'Game' adaptation anime is always an uphill battle.
Why would a game adaptation be any different from, let's say, a manga adaptation? If there's a story, the animators will make sure to convey it in the adaptation. ef *has* a story, so you can rule out the possibility of a harem/fanservice type anime.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 03:32   Link #32
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
because in a manga adaptation you already have the main story, plot devices and such. you just need to add more frames and animate the events that are already there.

a game almost NEVER is the same. have you played the original kanon or shuffle games? other than the main plot being the same, everything else you see is anime filler.

Shuffle for example, since its a newer game. there were no clubs. there were no crazy events happening all over the place. kaede did not have a crazy obsession over rin (Not like in the anime at least) and she did not detest Asa to the point of death.
as for kanon, each girl had their own paths. the anime focused only on key points.

now shuffle and kanon 2006 were good animes. but shuffle memories was not. please do not associate shuffle with shuffle memories. one was a good anime series, the other was corporate cash-in.

as for manga-
hayate no gokuto follows the manga pretty much precisely from what I hear. not in order, mind you. if the manga is good, it will be really hard for the production team to mess up since they are just adding color and voices. but if the manga was bad in the first place, the anime will be bad (and vexx would like me to point out that koi koi 7 is bad right now ).

the problem with game adaptations is that alot of studios are given leeway, too much in my opinion. that is why anime producers become famous or infamous. Look at negima, all the problems were blamed on the production crew for not following the manga, right? no one points out that ken akumatsu actually made a crappy manga. it is because the production team took too much leeway so it became known as 'their' adaptation.

you would think its not important to follow the game story, since any anime can be fine on its own, and I would agree except, then what is the point of using the game name in the first place? if you could make your own good anime without needing to rely on someone elses story it would be your name on the title, not Minori's. the problem is video games have a BLATANT history of cheap *** cash ins.

did u go see the resident evil movie? how about the awesome street fighter II movie with jean claude van dame? normally I would be optimistic, but in cases involving 'video games' which I have been playing for over 20 years now, regrettably when someone says I'm making an anime or a movie about a video game, its common place to expect it to be the frisbee type. I have played ef some but that means nothing since most of the game can be covered in 4 episodes or so. its what else they put in that will make or break a good dating sim anime series.
__________________
*Retired*

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2007-06-14 at 03:53.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 08:46   Link #33
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
In an earlier post, you wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I have a feeling this show is going to turn out really bad. not because of the character designs or anything [...] but because of the pathetic attempt to cash in on a franchise that is so common among dating sim turned anime productions.
... which I considered a sweeping generalization. Why? Because most fans appreciate the following anime adaptations. Whether those adaptations are going to be good or bad DOES NOT relate to the fact that the companies are trying to cash-in regardlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
because in a manga adaptation you already have the main story, plot devices and such. you just need to add more frames and animate the events that are already there.
o_o; And games don't have main stories, plot devies and such that only need a few more frames? Compositionists only have to cut off ero events, intertwine the paths or just do a simple copy-paste of all the story paths, and animate it.

I think you're basing all of your logic on one sole example of anime adaptations:
Quote:
Shuffle for example, since its a newer game. there were no clubs. there were no crazy events happening all over the place. kaede did not have a crazy obsession over rin (Not like in the anime at least) and she did not detest Asa to the point of death.
as for kanon, each girl had their own paths. the anime focused only on key points.
[...]
a game almost NEVER is the same. have you played the original kanon or shuffle games? other than the main plot being the same, everything else you see is anime filler.
I won't say SHUFFLE! is an exception in this world of bishoujo game anime adaptations just because it introduced certain questionable plot devices, like the clubs you've mentioned, because each of us perceives faithfulness differently. Some people aren't bothered by (un)necessary adjustments to the adaptations' story composition, others are more sensitive. However, I think we both agree that mentioning these major differences between the game and the anime are vital points in any comparison discussions over this particular franchise.
The Kanon anime from 2006 thoroughly exhausted the original Kanon's story. I'd say (just a bypass remark, I don't want to promote the discussion about this) that Makoto's arc had borderline filler material in some parts of those episodes. But that's just my perception.

I owned SHUFFLE! and only played through Lisianthus' route (then got bored with it and sold it) and I also own Kanon which I only played through the main Ayu route. I'd say I'm not a huge expert on these titles, but I have adequate knowledge and experience about Kanon to say that Kyoto Animation and Toei (in certain aspects) created average (Toei) to above-average (KyoAni) anime adaptations. I don't have much confidence in my knowledge of SHUFFLE! (since it was an impulse buy at the time), but I'd agree that the anime adaptation lacked in many areas (although I loved that they decided to pick a secondary heroine to wrap up the story).
Quote:
please do not associate shuffle with shuffle memories. one was a good anime series, the other was corporate cash-in.
Ah-ha! So not every anime adaptation is a pathetic cash-in? I was never arguing the faithfulness of these adaptations but rather your blatant generalization (as quoted in the beginning of this post) about cash-ins being pathetic things that can supposedly result only in "bad" adaptations. And while we secretly agreed that the first SHUFFLE! anime series is incomparable to Memories, the latter one being a blatant cash-in, you misrepresented your opinion with sweeping generalizations like the one above, or this one:
Quote:
the problem is video games have a BLATANT history of cheap *** cash ins.
I find your statements constantly contradicting one another, because I find it hard to understand how words like "pathetic", "blatant cash-in" can throw any positive light on said anime adaptations. Your whole concept of "naughty capitalism" fails when good products, good anime adaptations are put infront of us. They're not necessarily faithful adaptations. As you say, SHUFFLE! was good but it wasn't faithful to the source material. Still, some bishoujo game stories like Kanon, fate/stay night and a few others have been transformed into anime following as close to the original as the source material allowed, and I have no reason to believe why ef would be any different from those. The source material is still lacking the latter part of the tale but the first part has substance, so in my humble opinion SHAFT won't feel the need for distasteful filler material.
Quote:
I have played ef some but that means nothing since most of the game can be covered in 4 episodes or so. its what else they put in that will make or break a good dating sim anime series.
You don't sound too sincere because you'd know the story is going to finish when minori throws out the latter tale.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 09:26   Link #34
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
A romance/drama show with some possible mystery ? Count me in - i am always up for such

Regarding the whole "It might turn out bad because it is a game adoption" ... i don't see where that is coming from, frankly. It is not exactly the first time this happens (), and most of the titles turn out pretty decent. Is there something specific about this title that would get in the way? For example - i hear a lot of worries about the upcoming Clannad adoption, because the story there, supposedly, is presented in a way that would be hard to carry over to the screen. Does this title has similar difficulties?

If not, i don't see the source of the worries. I don't see the fact that a game is the source material as a problem. Some of such titles rank fairly highly on my personal list (Lamune / Da Capo / Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~), and one is among my top10 favorites (Canvas 2). Sure, there is the usual worry of interweaving several story paths, but this problem is not exactly exclusive to this upcoming anime alone, and has been dealt with in the past.

I see Wind was mentioned... frankly - i enjoyed the game quite a bit. Sure, the anime fell short compared to it (Mind you, i hate doing such comparisons), but i attribute it to the fact that it had only 12episodes (+4 DVD only), each episode being only ~13 min long. As such there is little surprise they were unable to squeeze in everything to a satisfying degree.

As far as inserting anime-only scenes/moments... personally, i have never given a flying rat's arse about things like faithfulness to the source material, regardless what that material might be. These are different mediums, and if you are expecting to see a clone of the original material, you are already setting yourself up for a disappointment. I never understood why people expect things to be exactly the same, but that is just me. (And then we have things like Death Note, where people have been known to drop the series "because it is the same thing anyways" )

In short - looking towards this one!

*runs of to search for some videos or anything of the like*
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 09:39   Link #35
kct
Walk dat crank yo
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kay El, M'sia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
If anything I has to say about all this, I got to agree with Toua on some of the points he raised.

However, knowing how this is something from minori, I can expect this is to be more than just a 'mere cash in' or anything.

EDIT: But Death Note make normal things seem awesome!
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 09:45   Link #36
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Interweaving storylines won't be an issue for ef, which takes on a linear structure.

Most bishoujo games focus on one protagonist and many heroines, which means alternative routes. However, ef is a collection of linked love stories (two in -the first tale-), each featuring a different protagonist.

Now the question is whether each scenario has enough substance to allow for a satisfying anime series.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 10:34   Link #37
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Interweaving storylines won't be an issue for ef, which takes on a linear structure.

Most bishoujo games focus on one protagonist and many heroines, which means alternative routes. However, ef is a collection of linked love stories (two in -the first tale-), each featuring a different protagonist.
Thats good to hear - should make the work all that easier for the producers. Also explains why the 2 videos i found feature different characters - i was at a loss for a bit
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 11:31   Link #38
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I'm not worried about Clannad, but I have no game experience with this title and am going in a total neophyte to enjoy this to the max. Of course, ...
Spoiler:


Yep, ef is a love story. That's why I'm pumped about this title. I only hope that they don't pull a "5 cm/s " on this one.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 12:56   Link #39
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I only hope that they don't pull a "5 cm/s " on this one.
I wouldn't be worried worried about that. Actually, I just got my ef stash out to continue it.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 13:06   Link #40
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
What's in the foil engraved book? It looks nice btw. Did it come with the game?

What's the other publication under it? Did that come with the game too?
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2007-06-14 at 13:57.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.