3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.15%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-28, 14:36   Link #181
TigerII
Pilot in Training

And I never played the games so I have no idea what arcs those are. I have only ever watched the first and second season.

So I have no idea who the witches are, why they enjoy doing this, etc. To me a third season is just another set of kids getting killed and it seems that they will never be at peace. Which sounds boring to me for a third season.
Old 2007-12-28, 16:08   Link #182
June 1983

Well, there are plenty of resources here that could fill you in on what goes on. There's also Wikipedia. Look up Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei.

It's very unlikely that's what the third season is going to be about, as you will find out if you ... read!
Old 2007-12-28, 22:52   Link #183
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I just marathoned S1 and S2, great dango what a great series. I would go back and vote 10's all around if I could be bothered to

Great end to this absolutely brilliant work of art. I was so happy for everyone including Tokano at the end of it.

In general the way they unfolded the story with little changes was so well done. Satako's arc was heart breaking... The way their faces contorted with madness was frightening. Each time they overcame an obstacle and became better people, it was heart warming. Higurashi I think shows what the word humanity should mean. Too many people use the phrase to err is human, but I think especially how everyone overcame this overly exaggerated dark side in them to be the real meaning of humanity.
Old 2007-12-29, 07:28   Link #184
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
Well
it's rather half assed
so forgive-me any mistake

Spoiler for piece 52:

Just to add the note...

Spoiler for It reminds me about the poem:

The last EP was great but I keep hearin other people that KAI isnt as gore as the 1st season.... But anyways i'ts fun to see a happy ending (IMO).

Hmm about the Season 3 I hope they'll include Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei and the Manga Arcs like Onisarashi-hen, Yoigoshi-hen and Utsutsukowashi-hen.
After I saw the Last ep I was frenzy playing Higurashi Daybreak Kai sorta kind of a possesion xD

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2007-12-29, 08:25   Link #185
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu Aoi View Post
The last EP was great but I keep hearin other people that KAI isnt as gore as the 1st season.... But anyways i'ts fun to see a happy ending (IMO).
I watched S1 and S2 back to back. I really needed the happy ending for my own sanity
Old 2007-12-30, 01:05   Link #186
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler:
Old 2007-12-30, 17:44   Link #187
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah getting that happy ending was appreciated. Pulled the whole first season off a few months before this second season got started. Was glad they managed to survive and could finally move forward out of that repeating tragedy.

Just after seeing how hard things were on everyone wasn't much pity left for Takano. If she didn't make it through the last episode I wouldn't have been that upset.
Old 2007-12-30, 21:23   Link #188
Ottocycle

Ahh coming back here is kind of a relief. My friends kept going on about Kai was bad and all since they lost their loli gore fix or something like that and they won't listen when I tell them they're losing the point of the whole show.

I half-blame Onikakushi and Tatarigoroshi for that.

Pfft.

EDIT: Crap, the moment I post this I see an Overall Impressions thread up. *Sigh*
Old 2007-12-31, 00:34   Link #189
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Ahh coming back here is kind of a relief. My friends kept going on about Kai was bad and all since they lost their loli gore fix or something like that and they won't listen when I tell them they're losing the point of the whole show.

I half-blame Onikakushi and Tatarigoroshi for that.

Pfft.

EDIT: Crap, the moment I post this I see an Overall Impressions thread up. *Sigh*
That really seems to be a big issue with some people, I notice. I guess some people really can't handle a story that actually has depth. Not everything has to be about fan service!
Old 2007-12-31, 02:31   Link #190
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah getting that happy ending was appreciated. Pulled the whole first season off a few months before this second season got started. Was glad they managed to survive and could finally move forward out of that repeating tragedy.
Hee hee but did they survive? They actually died countless times My head hurts if I think about it too much
Old 2007-12-31, 12:55   Link #191
angel.shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
That really seems to be a big issue with some people, I notice. I guess some people really can't handle a story that actually has depth. Not everything has to be about fan service!
I lol'd so hard at the fact that you're calling the scary parts fan service, but you conveniently leave out any incidents of moe-blob "auauauau" bullshit in season 2.

Higurashi Kai was good. There's no doubt about that. But it was a HUGE departure from the genre the first season had already established. I went into the second season expecting to have my brain exploded a second time. I ended up having it pickled in sugar instead.

I really don't get how you think Season 2 is deeper than Season 1. Season 2 just out and tells you almost everything. The story is very linear and focused; it's a very neat, clean progression from point A to point B.

Season 1 though... it took me until the end of the season to figure out what was going on, which is exactly how it should be. Higurashi Kai? I predicted the ending way in advance. #24 was not even remotely a surprise. The dark, brooding, suspenseful "oh god they're all going to die please help ;_;" of Season 1 was replaced with bad action sequences and a heaping helping of "club activities" slice-of-life nonsense.

The focus on mind-bending horror in season 1 may be different from the stories of the original games, but I could care less. There's a terrible shortage of good horror stories out there and I for one am glad Higurashi adds to the pool.
Old 2007-12-31, 13:11   Link #192
June 1983

Oh, the moe is definitely fan service. No kidding!

Quote:
I really don't get how you think Season 2 is deeper than Season 1. Season 2 just out and tells you almost everything. The story is very linear and focused; it's a very neat, clean progression from point A to point B.
The name of the series is When Cicadas Cry: Solutions though, so what do you expect? The story was always a mystery, and the horror was just a side effect of it. This should have been obvious from the second or third chapter. The horror in season 1 is just a red herring, leading you in the wrong direction from what is really going on.

If the show had continued with the same gimmick it had in the first season the story not only would have never progressed, but it would have just been ... BAD. Because it was always clear there was a lot more going on than gore, and it would never have delivered on the deeper meaning.

Furthermore, Kai was not that linear. The last chapter takes up about half of the series, so it may seem linear. But there was plenty of mystery and confusion in the first half, before Takano was even revealed.

In any case, whether you like it or not, Higurashi was never just horror story. Unfortunately, if you want only horror, you're just going to have to look somewhere else ... that's just the way it is. Most people enjoy the fact that the story evolves and has many layers, but I can see why you'd be disappointed if you never wanted more than that to begin with.
Old 2007-12-31, 13:17   Link #193
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel.shade View Post
Higurashi Kai was good. There's no doubt about that. But it was a HUGE departure from the genre the first season had already established. I went into the second season expecting to have my brain exploded a second time. I ended up having it pickled in sugar instead.
This definitely means you were expecting simply more creep fest. You can't possible expect a resolution of this mystery plot without a situation back to earth?
Higurashi was never meant to be "creep story" for the hell of it.
Quote:
That is because it was needed for the mystery, and S2 was had hell more depth in terms of characters developments and resolution.
Questions arcs are nowhere near as developping characters and messages, while Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi made their job neatly.
Quote:
Season 1 though... it took me until the end of the season to figure out what was going on, which is exactly how it should be. Higurashi Kai? I predicted the ending way in advance. #24 was not even remotely a surprise. The dark, brooding, suspenseful "oh god they're all going to die please help ;_;" of Season 1 was replaced with bad action sequences and a heaping helping of "club activities" slice-of-life nonsense.
Everyone was expecting the good end, it is within the philosophy of such storytelling. The real thing Higurashi Kai had to show was the execution and how the characters struggle for it. Bad action is quite relative, but as for the "slice of life nonsense" i'm quite surprised you can label it, despite the facts characters were meant to have fun like this and S1 proved it for a good while.
Quote:
The focus on mind-bending horror in season 1 may be different from the stories of the original games, but I could care less. There's a terrible shortage of good horror stories out there and I for one am glad Higurashi adds to the pool.
You basically watched Higurashi for its genre and not for its plot. That's good for you, but it isn't then surprising to see how you are "disappointed".
It is basically how people who care only for creeps reacted ever since Yakusamashi-hen.
Old 2007-12-31, 14:22   Link #194
champbaka
Oyashiro-sama worshipper

I say Higurashi Kai was excellent and it neatly answered most of my questions season 1 left me with. The animation dropped quite a few times during the entire airing, but still what I really cared was how did Studio handled the story. Kai really gave the series a completely different mood from season 1 and reveal the series's truth theme which I was expecting. I was only dissapointed about how some minor details were left out. Since I follow the manga which is more in detail I feel a bit dissapointed how the anime left those details unanswered. Well the manga will answer those questions anyway, so on with Season 3!

Still it dissapoints me how unappreciated Higurashi is to the Otaku world. I tried recommending Higurashi to my friends, but they are more interesting in Shonen stuff like One Piece and Naruto (ugh). Some of my friends who read the manga are only interested in the gore and killer lolis. While some of my other friends heard the rumors about the blood and especially the lolis and decided to never touch the series. It just saddens me how some people just don't see the true theme of Higurashi and its not just a guro-type horror with killer lolis. I guess people just rather take mindless action over a complex and quality plot.
Old 2007-12-31, 14:37   Link #195
angel.shade

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I went into Higurashi believing it was a dark, mind-warping psychological horror. Season 1 mostly delivered, while Season 2 was more of a mildly supernatural character drama/fantasy.

I'm not saying this is bad; I'm just saying that after what S1 presented, S2 was a jarring genre-swap. Either S1 should have been more of an emotional character drama (but then I'd never have watched it to begin with, oh well) or S2 needed much more "WTF" moments.

Edit: And please effing explain to me why wanting a complex, intriguing psychological horror story is "mindless action without plot"? Why don't you go play Silent Hill, or System Shock 2, or Parasite Eve, and get back to me on that one, okay? Please don't lump me with the mindless Naruto/Bleach fanboy sheep.

I mean, seriously. Just because I'm not a fan of gushy happy emo crap and would rather see dark, brain-melting stories doesn't mean I'm an idiot.
Old 2007-12-31, 15:06   Link #196
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I went into Higurashi believing it was a dark, mind-warping psychological horror. Season 1 mostly delivered, while Season 2 was more of a mildly supernatural character drama/fantasy.
I'm wondering why you are considering that "fantasy". it has nothing to do with that, aside of the supernatural part of it.
Quote:
I'm not saying this is bad; I'm just saying that after what S1 presented, S2 was a jarring genre-swap. Either S1 should have been more of an emotional character drama (but then I'd never have watched it to begin with, oh well) or S2 needed much more "WTF" moments.
... you are going in circle: how can you vastly expect "WTF" moments considering its plot? I think things would be much less complicated to develop if Reunion was added in S1 instead of being inserted ater, but well.
And before you ask, S1 was already driven in character drama, such like Tatarigoroshi and Meakashi. There is a reason why there are some complaints about the "yay gore killer loli". It wasn't aimed at you, but it reflects how it is actually misleading the franchise.
Quote:
Edit: And please effing explain to me why wanting a complex, intriguing psychological horror story is "mindless action without plot"? Why don't you go play Silent Hill, or System Shock 2, or Parasite Eve, and get back to me on that one, okay? Please don't lump me with the mindless Naruto/Bleach fanboy sheep.
You didn't exactly get what chambaka meant: sadly the point is Higurashi get known only for its appearance and not for its substance. Horror and such are nowhere of mindless, it is rather a comparison of popularity with these mindless shounen, mind you.
Quote:
I mean, seriously. Just because I'm not a fan of gushy happy emo crap and would rather see dark, brain-melting stories doesn't mean I'm an idiot.
No one meant that way I believe, it was rather points we showed that your expectations were completely sidetracked to what higurashi was in S1 and how it is in S2.
Old 2007-12-31, 15:08   Link #197
Sauzer

I guess some people excpected that Higurashi would be like Elfen Lied - gore with no end, but still has a good story to go with it.
Old 2007-12-31, 17:07   Link #198
BakaOnna

Most of the blame of why some fans disliked Kai for its lack of horror elements goes to DEEN. Although I've never played the game, based on what I've read from the manga, Higurashi is definitely not just horror, mystery and murder. There's a lot of time given to character interaction and development. Season 1 had a bit of those interactions but was severly lacking. If DEEN hadn't focused on only the mystery and horror elements in season 1, there wouldn't be as many complaints about it in Kai. But then again, seeing how some people don't like the "slice-of-life" character interaction moments, people might've never finished season 1 if that happened.
Old 2007-12-31, 18:34   Link #199
angel.shade

If Higurashi had been made more true to the original sound novels, then no, I would have had absolutely no interest in it. As it was it took a lot of convincing for me to even watch it, and I almost threw it out during the three-episode test.

I can deal with a good psychological horror or thriller with a little comedy and school-day slice-of-life on the side. I can't really be interested in the reverse, though.

The horror genre is so devoid of anything good it just feels like the posters here, the fans of the "true" Higurashi story are blasting the horror genre as being shallow and nothing but a gore-fest.

But wait a minute... that's MY complaint with the genre! There are too many Saws, too many Hostels, too many Screams and I Know What You Did Last Summer, and not enough REALLY effed-up stories that are genuinely *scary* with the whole package, not just senseless violence and gore with no plot.

So Higurashi's anime succeeds at accidentally becoming a rather impressively brain-melting psych horror, and it seems like the only two responses are either "stupid horror elements, should have stayed closer to the games" or the Narutards spouting out things like "OMG KILLER LOLIS COVERED IN BLUUD!"

I don't see anyone really appreciating the "oh god what the F is THAT" part... I guess no one else really cares.
Old 2007-12-31, 20:19   Link #200
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
If Higurashi had been made more true to the original sound novels, then no, I would have had absolutely no interest in it. As it was it took a lot of convincing for me to even watch it, and I almost threw it out during the three-episode test.
That is actually funny because it would rather keep the same amount of "horror", but some counter balance with the fun and drama.
Quote:
The horror genre is so devoid of anything good it just feels like the posters here, the fans of the "true" Higurashi story are blasting the horror genre as being shallow and nothing but a gore-fest.
Good thing if it is actually your point of view *cough*. As far as I can see, no one has ever complained about the horror itself, which was an innate part of Higurashi. What was baffling is the fact S1 was too focalised on it, or rather, they simply skipped most "non horror" part. Being true fans or not (as I don't think many people can boats having played the game), the major point is the fact the series was a bit unbalanced, because of the time contraints, which were the true core problem, obviously leading to the genre unbalance.
Quote:
I don't see anyone really appreciating the "oh god what the F is THAT" part... I guess no one else really cares.
If there wasn't many of them, why would they follow S2, while loving S1 in the same process (until they were spoiled, knowing it would be drama and stuff)? You are exaggerating the reactions here and there, pure and simple.

Unbalance issues are nowhere near as problematic as the quality and pacing issues of S1. And yet, the S1 still had high scores from "these true fans"... meh, whatever.

finally on another note:
Episode 24: Analysis
2 weeks late i gues *sigh* too much stuff to do, and toncrap things to upload
More BGM and stuff, as usual.