Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-03, 17:54   Link #20661
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Frankly, I hope she can afford to take this to court and sue them dry... but these are the firing salvoes before they're searching your home before they hire you and demanding to search your home to *keep* your job.

Notice how its never an HR employee or an executive? eh?
Old 2012-04-03, 18:22   Link #20662
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Shippers make U.S. the port of call for bankruptcy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8320XT20120403
I hope the IRS is smart enough to raise the tax rates for law firms.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-03, 18:30   Link #20663
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Dad set free after 11 years because his daughter lied about him raping her.

The Justice System at its finest........................................
Old 2012-04-03, 18:36   Link #20664
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Dad set free after 11 years because his daughter lied about him raping her.

The Justice System at its finest........................................
there is a lot of crap in the Justice System but this not the best example of the Justice System run amok.
Old 2012-04-03, 19:47   Link #20665
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

China survey: Hard landing possible but not likely

Averting the self-fulfilling prophecy again, aren't we? Look what happened in the news in 07.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:42   Link #20666
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Some "shippers" are already morally backrupt.

Oh you mean a different kind of shippers.
That's rude toward us.

We are normal, it's the others who are weird!
Old 2012-04-04, 03:33   Link #20667
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
there is a lot of crap in the Justice System but this not the best example of the Justice System run amok.
It's not any example of the Justice System failing. The jury convicted him because there was enough evidence to do so. The story mentions a few: evidence of physical rape trauma, mental patterns consistent with abuse, a parental figure engaged in substance abuse, etc.

What is perplexing about the story is that you have a case where a girl was intelligent enough to basically pull off "the perfect crime", and yet not understand the consequences of what she was doing. There's a few pieces that don't fit, and it's possible to argue that the truth lies somewhere in the middle: she probably was a victim of abuse, and maybe from her father, and it is possible that some of it was sexual.

We'll never really know. I think more than anything a case like this highlights how difficult it can be to get to the truth.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:32   Link #20668
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Equity/bond skew leaves investors skeptical
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83308B20120404
Old 2012-04-04, 09:33   Link #20669
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's not any example of the Justice System failing. The jury convicted him because there was enough evidence to do so. The story mentions a few: evidence of physical rape trauma, mental patterns consistent with abuse, a parental figure engaged in substance abuse, etc.

What is perplexing about the story is that you have a case where a girl was intelligent enough to basically pull off "the perfect crime", and yet not understand the consequences of what she was doing. There's a few pieces that don't fit, and it's possible to argue that the truth lies somewhere in the middle: she probably was a victim of abuse, and maybe from her father, and it is possible that some of it was sexual.

We'll never really know. I think more than anything a case like this highlights how difficult it can be to get to the truth.
I doubt he abused her at all. More likely, based on the fact she was having sexual experiences in 2nd grade, she had essentially no supervision or parental involvement in her life, which is pretty much what she said. How ironic, asking vindictively (for the lie-detector) if he smokes pot and then becoming a meth-head yourself..

Hard to really come away from that article without feeling negative towards everyone involved... Whatever the father did, her daughter has certainly matched it negative karma-wise...
Old 2012-04-04, 11:58   Link #20670
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Man suspected of killing girlfriend with octopus
Quote:
Seoul (April 3, Tue): A South Korean has been arrested for allegedly killing his girlfriend who was initially believed to have accidentally suffocated while eating a live octopus, a prosecutor said today.

After an investigation lasting many months the suspect identified only as Kim was formally arrested for murder last Friday (March 30), prosecutor Lee Geon Tae at Incheon city, west of Seoul, told AFP. Kim would be charged within the next 10 days, he said.

The suspect, now 31, checked into an Incheon motel with his girlfriend in April 2010 after buying two live octopuses from a local restaurant.

The man later called reception to say his girlfriend had collapsed and stopped breathing after eating one of them. She was taken to hospital but died 16 days later due to brain damage. Her family initially believed the 24-year-old woman surnamed Yoon suffocated after a tentacle was found stuck in her throat. Her body was later cremated.

But Ms Yoon's father later discovered the daughter had signed up for a life insurance policy a week before her death, with Kim as the beneficiary.

Incheon police reopened the case and questioned Kim, who collected 200 million won (US$177,000) in insurance money but denied any involvement in Ms Yoon's death. The police said earlier that they suspected Kim might have stuffed the octopus into Ms Yoon's throat or choked her with some other object such as a pillow.

Nakji, a small octopus native to Korean and Chinese waters, is a Korean delicacy with people swallowing still-wriggling portions.

AFP
It's almost silly news, except someone died, so... not actually funny.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:30   Link #20671
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Man suspected of killing girlfriend with octopus

It's almost silly news, except someone died, so... not actually funny.
Quote:
But Ms Yoon's father later discovered the daughter had signed up for a life insurance policy a week before her death, with Kim as the beneficiary.
the silly part is someone actually think 1 week is enough. Even if the father didn't notice anything suspicious the Insurance Company would have.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:47   Link #20672
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the silly part is someone actually think 1 week is enough. Even if the father didn't notice anything suspicious the Insurance Company would have.
Well, the insurance company paid out.

The police would have to dig up more evidences against the suspect. The insurance provides a motive, but is not much of an evidence by itself. Considering that the death occurred 2 years ago, they probably have only the medical report to look at.

It may even be a real accident.
Old 2012-04-04, 13:28   Link #20673
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Well, the insurance company paid out.

The police would have to dig up more evidences against the suspect. The insurance provides a motive, but is not much of an evidence by itself. Considering that the death occurred 2 years ago, they probably have only the medical report to look at.

It may even be a real accident.
there is probably not much evidence then if it really was a crime. The Claim Investigator would have gone through the case with fine tooth comb. if there was anything suspicious abut the death besides the timing they would have gone to the police and get a investigation going.
Old 2012-04-04, 15:49   Link #20674
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Yahoo to lay off 2,000 employees
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8330LY20120404
Old 2012-04-04, 16:46   Link #20675
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I'm not real fond of Yahoo (they seem stuck in the "myspace" mindspace, not very grownup, full of flash, and malware-infestations, never mind all the "yahoo mail" based spam) but we need competition in any arena. "Pax Google uber alles" (mangle mangle) isn't a healthy trend.
Old 2012-04-04, 16:58   Link #20676
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I knew that Greece's economic crisis is not improving, but to think that it would push their citizens to commit suicide is really sad. My heart goes out to the victim.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/greek-pensi...134353929.html

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-04-04, 22:17   Link #20677
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Who is to blame for Greece's economic problems? I haven't followed this, but a couple of years ago I read that it wasn't just it's government, but that many Greek citizen's are to blame (IIRC; something about them making full use of poor laws and regulations from the government). I'm not clear on the details.
Old 2012-04-04, 22:49   Link #20678
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I read somewhere (Cracked.com, I believe) that mentioned that US banks in some sort of advisory position also helped contribute to the economic collapse there.
Old 2012-04-05, 01:11   Link #20679
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Who is to blame for Greece's economic problems? I haven't followed this, but a couple of years ago I read that it wasn't just it's government, but that many Greek citizen's are to blame (IIRC; something about them making full use of poor laws and regulations from the government). I'm not clear on the details.
Well, the government was overly generous in handing out goodies. The citizens evade tax on a large scale. They accumulated a huge debt relative to their GDP, a problem that was largely ignored because the partly-fabricated numbers looked good, investments kept coming, and bond yields were low. And then the bubble bursted.

In short, the entire country is a mess. You can't really blame a particular part of it.
Old 2012-04-05, 01:35   Link #20680
Zakoo

Well it depends of the view but we should remember that the government has to show the way to its citizen, the moment the government does stupids things, it's nothing new that the citizens follow.

I personally fully blame their former government ( not papandrou but the one before), others will say it's the people fault, some the churches, a few Goldman Sachs and a minority the Euro Zone itself.
None are wrong but none are right either.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international