AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2006-10-12, 06:36   Link #201
Alu
Guide my hand...

hmmm.. allright.. with so much talking going arround regarding a 3rd Season of this Anime.., I decided (and well.., because I currently don't have much to watch ) to give it a try and see what all the excitment is about

Its only natural that I start from the first episode on the 1st season, hence it will take me quite a bit to catch up...
However, since I am jumping into this right out of the blue.., I was wondering if some of you could tell me in just a few words what can I expect out of this Anime ?

Specialy related to storywise & character-wise aspects.., but well.., from the little I read here regarding them.., I don't think I will be dissatisfied (or at least I hope not, since I always look forward to these "Slayers" type of universes )
Alu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 07:05   Link #202
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alu View Post
hmmm.. allright.. with so much talking going arround regarding a 3rd Season of this Anime.., I decided (and well.., because I currently don't have much to watch ) to give it a try and see what all the excitment is about

Its only natural that I start from the first episode on the 1st season, hence it will take me quite a bit to catch up...
However, since I am jumping into this right out of the blue.., I was wondering if some of you could tell me in just a few words what can I expect out of this Anime ?

Specialy related to storywise & character-wise aspects.., but well.., from the little I read here regarding them.., I don't think I will be dissatisfied (or at least I hope not, since I always look forward to these "Slayers" type of universes )
The first season can be considered to be a massive prelude. It introduces the main protagonists, Nanoha and Fate, and explains how they got together. The first season also establishes much of the background story of the Nanoha world.

Due to all these explaining and exposition, there is not much 'grand' combat in the first season as compared to the second season.

The second season has more free rein for character development as the basic exposition has been dealt with already in the first season. Due to this, there is also considerably more action in the second season.

One of the main appeals of Nanoha is that it is about Magical Girls beating/blowing the living tar out of each other. Hayate's story in Nanoha A's is also quite touching( she can be considered to be the 'sad girl in snow' for Nanoha ).

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-12, 07:10   Link #203
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alu View Post

Yeah, the first three episodes suck ass, so don't drop it straight off. Its typical magical girl crap (girl stumbles across mystical artifact that gives her the power to transform and shoot pretty pink death beams at monsters that typically go down after one or two shots) until Fate shows up, granted its with a more willing, motivated, reasonable, combative, and all around more likable lead than what you usually see with these types of shows.

But once Fate makes her first appearance in episode 4, it stops being typical magical girl crap and becomes all about hotblooded magical girls kicking the crap out of each other in awesome fight scenes. And the cast is pretty likable all around, too. Well, except for Fate's mom... she pretty much sucks. But the rest of the cast is likable.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 07:16   Link #204
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
I don't really feel any suck ass emotion after watching 1-13 of the 1st season
After all, Nanoha begin as a real Beginner...
Don't really know how she really feel that Magic is powerful but how magic is difficult... Everytime she encount Some Souls who being infected by a Jewel Seed... Everytime that decision is really difficult... That she feel this when she encount Fate for the First Time and the First Time who personally... I feel suffering for Fate and Nanoha... Two of them have really good Reasons to support their causes... And That we have on A's... Support Fate/Nanoha Cause and Hayate/Knight Cause too...
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 07:51   Link #205
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

This may seem a little off topic but senice the're is no music thread what is the song that plays in episode 12 when fate gets up. I know it's a little confusing but I can't think of any other way to put it . This is in series 1 not 2 btw it's soemwhere between 12 mins and 14 mins into the ep. Thanks in advance.
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 10:02   Link #206
Furyou Miko
Equal-fatalities Employer

Send a message via AIM to Furyou Miko
I don't know what the song is, but... I remember someone here ages ago commenting that Fate turned out to be much nicer than expected after her first appearance.

If find that kind of odd, considering how obsessed Nanoha is with her "beautiful, kind eyes".
Furyou Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 10:11   Link #207
Yuelon
喜怒哀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclow View Post
This may seem a little off topic but senice the're is no music thread what is the song that plays in episode 12 when fate gets up. I know it's a little confusing but I can't think of any other way to put it . This is in series 1 not 2 btw it's soemwhere between 12 mins and 14 mins into the ep. Thanks in advance.
The Song is a insert song of course and its called "Take a Shot performed by Nana Mizuki" really good and of course i have it but nth better than the one in MSLN A's
where Hayate inside the book or somewhere^^ that is "Snow Rain performed by Kana Ueda"

Both info taken form Here
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Yuelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 10:59   Link #208
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuelon View Post
The Song is a insert song of course and its called "Take a Shot performed by Nana Mizuki" really good and of course i have it but nth better than the one in MSLN A's
where Hayate inside the book or somewhere^^ that is "Snow Rain performed by Kana Ueda"

Both info taken form Here
Ah thanks I finally found it.

Last edited by Theclow; 2006-10-12 at 11:00. Reason: Arrg misspelling
Old 2006-10-12, 11:00   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree in that I almost dropped the show in the first few episodes of the first season... but then Fate arrived... and then we got season two. One of the few shows where the character development and action was such that you could really believe these people were trying to kill each other.

There's just something about giving nine year old girls enough firepower to liquify continents and now they're going to be 16/17 yr old girls with enough firepower to blow holes through planets..... aieeee, don't forget to bring flowers regularly.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:02   Link #210
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I agree in that I almost dropped the show in the first few episodes of the first season... but then Fate arrived... and then we got season two. One of the few shows where the character development and action was such that you could really believe these people were trying to kill each other.

There's just something about giving nine year old girls enough firepower to liquify continents and now they're going to be 16/17 yr old girls with enough firepower to blow holes through planets..... aieeee, don't forget to bring flowers regularly.
I'd hate to be the're dates.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:05   Link #211
Yuelon
喜怒哀

Well u still see Yuuno kun there so that wont be a problem^^ i hope....
If not learn some defensive magic that a good option
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Yuelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 13:45   Link #212
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyou Miko View Post
I don't know what the song is, but... I remember someone here ages ago commenting that Fate turned out to be much nicer than expected after her first appearance.

If find that kind of odd, considering how obsessed Nanoha is with her "beautiful, kind eyes".
Nanoha was obsessed with "Beautiful, sad eyes", not kind. And the whole Fate thing...she sure as hell got the short end of the stick, after the first season all you want to do is give her a big hug

And yes, the first three eps sucked and i wanted to drop it, but i was immensly bored at that time, so i kept on track...then Fate arrived and i found myself quickly downloading all the eps and second season, which i have to say is truly awsome. The characters really are going at each other, not just mopping arround.
Old 2006-10-15, 09:05   Link #213
Alu
Guide my hand...

Well.., I have just finished watching Season 1 not but a few hours ago.., and I now have to say a few things..

But first..., Thank you.

It was thanks to your feedback here that I definitly decided to start downloading it and watch it ; after reading everything you said I was more then prepared in terms of expecting what I would find.

However.., something realy toke me by surprise..

You where more then right upon saying that the first 3 episodes realy lacked development and to the point that they in fact where rather "dull" & "boring"..., beeing the introductions of Nahona, Yunno & the aspects related to Nahona's magical power / how she obtained it and specialy how quickly she mastered it felt extreamly rushed..

But well..., then came episode 4...
..Fate...

And the story compleatly did a turn towards a more deep & phsicoligicaly heavy eviroment..., something that.. would go so much deeper into tragedy and drama that I could realy not have forseen..

Even having read all the comments & having made my expectations.., Fate's personality & story development brought this Anime to be almost in par to other titles that are so dear to me..
Beeing this realy what made Fate my favorite character of this Anime.., personality & development-wise.

In fact.., its thanks to this turn in the story and the incredible twist that it gaved us in the end that I found myself crying on some scenes during the last 2 episodes.

Overall I came to the conclusion that there is SO MUCH more to Mahou Shoujo then the cuteness of her characters.. ; after episode 3 the story definitly picked up and started to develop properly, giving then the more information we lacked about what the Mahou Shoujo universe consists in, and what realy are the facts in game on the storyline.

However I have to say a couple of aspects where left out.., somethings like the "origin" of the "Intelligent devices" like Bardiche & Raging Heart , how Yunno first obtained Raging Heart, and definitly.. why Nanoha holds such great power..

But well, these I hope are are things that probably Season 2 will answer
Old 2006-10-15, 10:06   Link #214
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hehe, glad you liked the series. No one can resist the moeness of Fate ! Do watch the second season, its even better than the first one, and once again you will have characters you can feel for And it definitely has more going for it than just cute little lolis

as for the "origin" of the "Intelligent devices" and how Yuuno obtained Raging Heart...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-15, 15:53   Link #215
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Hmmm. I don't remember him being charged with the task of recovering the lost logia. Maybe he felt pressure from his tribe or responsibility, so he grabbed RH and ran. We already know he's the type to take things onto himself. So maybe he thought he could use RH himself but it was too much for him.

S1 is such a blur to me now but I don't have time to re-watch it
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 16:29   Link #216
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs View Post
Hmmm. I don't remember him being charged with the task of recovering the lost logia. Maybe he felt pressure from his tribe or responsibility, so he grabbed RH and ran. We already know he's the type to take things onto himself. So maybe he thought he could use RH himself but it was too much for him.
Yuuno dug them up, but the ship carrying them to a safe place had problems. Since he dug them up, he felt he should do something himself, despite not carrying any responsibility after handing them over to the authorities. So it's all his strong sense of responsibility, and there's no indication that anyone asked or put any kind of pressure on him to locate and "seal" the Jewel Seeds.

The thought occurs though - surely others would have known about the ship carrying the Jewel Seeds having problems, and an official team would have been sent. So why doesn't one appear? (The Asura seemed only to be responding to the dimentional quake side-effect from Nanoha and Fate's fight). Only logical explanation I can think of is Fate's mother was influencing things from the start, and the recovery team got whacked by her too - while Yuuno slipped under her radar, as it were.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 16:33   Link #217
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Not sure about that . After all it was never meantioned that the archeologist group that Yuuno comes from is a part of any bigger organization, so they might as well only have one ship - the one that had problems so they might simply be incapable of helping.
Old 2006-10-15, 19:17   Link #218
Alu
Guide my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
The thought occurs though - surely others would have known about the ship carrying the Jewel Seeds having problems, and an official team would have been sent. So why doesn't one appear? (The Asura seemed only to be responding to the dimentional quake side-effect from Nanoha and Fate's fight). Only logical explanation I can think of is Fate's mother was influencing things from the start, and the recovery team got whacked by her too - while Yuuno slipped under her radar, as it were.
It does seem possible.. ; it also seemed rather strange to me that Yunno, who is not a very skilled magician either.. was the Only one who ventured into our world with the extreamly dificult task to recover All the Lost Logia (jewel seeds).

Hence I was left wondering through all the 13 episodes.., what realy did happen to Yunno's world & tribe...
Then.. in the last episode, Lindy menciones that Yunno's world is having some dimensional dificulty's, problems & whatnot.., but they seem to be of some relevance... ; so much that in fact.., its the reason why he cannot go home after the events aboard the Asura ceased with the suposed death of Fate's mother.

So possibily.., Yunno was just extreamly lucky in getting out to our world before anyone else did.., which, maybe due to some action on behalf of Fate's mother, made it impossible for others of his tribe to follow given some time..

The "Intelligent devices" now.., from what I understod they seem to be more related to the lost technology of Alzhared then something you might think could have come from the Asura for instants ; this because.., not only where Fate & Nahona who possessed one.., these "devices" seem to have a will of they're own, and not to mencione affection towards that who they determine to be they're master.

Which would make what kari-no-sugata wrotte about Yunno possibily having found Raging Heart in the escavations and having taken it as a last resort in order to help him capture the Lost Logia does seem a most reasonable explination..
..Clearly Yunno did not have the "connection" that Nanoha did, which means.., he is by far not on the same level to use one of these "devices" ; but still.., he thought it would help him either way so he decided to take it.

Now Nanoha is a great mistery here..., out of the blue she makes the connection with Raging Heart, who this immediatly assimilates her entire personality ; it is like.., the both connected perfectly..., so perfectly that in fact would explain how her skills rose so much in such a small amout of time, and not to mencione the effect this had on her power.

With well Season 2 (A's) not answering the aspects on what relates to Yunno's past (which is still rather vage) and the source of the "Intelligent devices" and to what realy are they..., I realy hope that at least they give some in-sight as to why Nahona has the power she does.

Overall I thought that the Character-wise development in Season 1 was good, specialy in what relates to Fate & Nanoha, both her backgrounds and even to how Fate met her friends where very nicely done..., somethings that.. when realy related to some aspects of the story such as the Alzhared technology, Yunno's background & the "magical capability" concept that exists where left a bit vague..

But well.., the dramatic aspects of Fate's story where what realy captured me in this Anime.., hence.., I realy look forward now to Season 2 in hope that it can surpass this...
..If such is even possible

~I just wish now that the torrent would go faster ^^~
Old 2006-10-15, 19:27   Link #219
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I can answer the question on the origin of Bardiche. Precia commissioned Bardiche for Fate, at an astronomical cost, no expanse in spared in making this physically challenging weapon to wield. Fate trained in order to properly wield it. Raising Heart however is beyond me. I have no idea how Yuuno acquired it. Yuuno can use it but not well...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 01:45   Link #220
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Maybe it has something to do with the actual magic power one has that determinates wether or not he can handle a device? I mean, only the ones with huge amounts of power have them - Nanoha, Fate and Chrno. (Remember, in one of the episodes Amy was telling chrno how unbelievably high power these two girls have, even surpassing Chrno, abeit not much. There were some numbers given but i dont remember them )

As for their origins...most likely they have been made looong ago by some powerfull wizards and what not. Reason i think this is because they are essentially somewhat similar to Tome of the Night Sky which was created that way - devices with minds of their own