Old 2011-04-02, 20:47   Link #222
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Spoiler for c72:
Old 2011-04-05, 19:59   Link #223
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

The slow-pace is really hurting the series, If only it was still weekly instead of monthly.
Old 2011-04-06, 22:34   Link #224
Shin'ou
Proud Lovers of Rorona

I just started to read this recently.. Just got my 1st volume of the book.. So far so good... No magical happenings or superpower stuffs
Old 2011-04-07, 12:38   Link #225
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
The slow-pace is really hurting the series, If only it was still weekly instead of monthly.
Yeah if it was weekly then the slow pace wouldnt be so bad. But now we are slow-paced in monthly release and on a VERY VERY VERY boring arc. Thats ugly.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:26   Link #226
lightbringer
M9000

You guys need to read Berserk. You have no idea what slow releases and slow pace is really like.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 15:31   Link #227
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Yeah if it was weekly then the slow pace wouldnt be so bad. But now we are slow-paced in monthly release and on a VERY VERY VERY boring arc. Thats ugly.
it is HISTORICAL fiction. Historical fiction tend to be heavy on dialogue and boring arcs where it is all talking. Besides, "boring" is a matter of perceptive, some of us (minority i am sure) don't mind these arcs.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-04-08 at 11:43.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 21:02   Link #228
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Exactly. Historie has it too. One moment the main character loses everything he's ever known and struggle for his very survival; then it spends a whole bunch of chapter letting him look at whale skeletons and play home-made chess with the King of Macedon for the lulz.

The best historical faction *has* to take the downtime. They are best savored as a single whole rather than chapter-by-chapter battle manga excitement.

I don't completely enjoy this arc either but it can't have Askeladd-level epicness every chapter or it'll turn into Needless or something equally silly, and the sheer glory of such moments will be diluted by repetition.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 11:44   Link #229
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^Exactly. Historie has it too. One moment the main character loses everything he's ever known and struggle for his very survival; then it spends a whole bunch of chapter letting him look at whale skeletons and play home-made chess with the King of Macedon for the lulz.

The best historical faction *has* to take the downtime. They are best savored as a single whole rather than chapter-by-chapter battle manga excitement.

I don't completely enjoy this arc either but it can't have Askeladd-level epicness every chapter or it'll turn into Needless or something equally silly, and the sheer glory of such moments will be diluted by repetition.
Nice to see another Historie fan.
Old 2011-04-08, 12:04   Link #230
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

I'd be inclined to agree with you but the fact is that this arc has been going on for the past year or so.
Old 2011-04-08, 13:13   Link #231
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is HISTORICAL fiction. Historical fiction tend to be heavy on dialogue and boring arcs where it is all talking. Besides, "boring" is a matter of perceptive, some of us (minority i am sure) don't mind these arcs.
Historical fiction can be very interesting. I read historical dramas and enjoy them, but this manga is very boring at this point and way too slow considering it is monthly release now.

You have to be blind to not see that it is hurting this series popularity either in this board or in general.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:35   Link #232
lightbringer
M9000

I agree that it's somewhat boring at this point, mainly because the main character is rejecting violence. I liked him more when he was mad with rage. But I don't care about the popularity of the series at large, as long as it doesn't get canceled. There are many series which are extremely popular but which I wouldn't use even for toilet paper.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 00:56   Link #233
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I agree that it's somewhat boring at this point, mainly because the main character is rejecting violence. I liked him more when he was mad with rage. But I don't care about the popularity of the series at large, as long as it doesn't get canceled. There are many series which are extremely popular but which I wouldn't use even for toilet paper.
Yeah, but dropping popularity always involve risk of being axed. Its not a shounen jump so the dropping popularity isnt as sensitive as in there, but it still can very well be cancelled or go on hiatus if sales become low.
Old 2011-04-09, 03:28   Link #234
Gooral
Banned

Seriously, read Berserk. Since Ganishka arc it's been so boring and random that it's not even worth looking at. And chapters are released at a much slower pace than Vinland Saga (for 319th chapter I had to wait almost 5 months and when it was released it had only 20 pages and the same boring sh*t).

I for one enjoyed farmland saga. The change of pace did good for the series. If you expected shounen or Berserk (fights, fights, fights, training, fights) then you should change manga because clearly it's not for you. Yukimura has done an amazing thing with character development and changing the pace. It only shows that he has a goal in his mind and has sth great in store for us.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 18:58   Link #235
delirium
Banned

Why did they change this amazing manga to a monthly syndication from a weekly? Was it not doing well enough? What? I'm so upset over that! The comic was going great. The series needs to be put back on a weekly release or people are going to get frustrated due to the lack of story development each chapter.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 19:12   Link #236
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I think it had to do with the author not being able to handle the manga on a weekly schedule. That being said the manga for the majorty of it's life had been on a monthly release (since Oct/Sept 2005 maybe?) so I don't think the problem is that.

I can understand why many don't seem to be liking this arc, but I still stand by what I wrote last year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
The way I see it, even if ''Farmland Saga'' is not the most exciting arc of this story, it's still important to Thorfinn because of an aspect he's been neglecting for a decade storywise.

Growth as a character.

Going from Thors death to Askeladd's, Thorfinn had never truly grown up as an individual. All the time it's been about vengeance to the point where he became a machine with a single mindset of ''Kill Askeladd''. This arc is the very first time where he is gaining actual depth and traits for his character (as opposed to him having one trait previously).

Sure, it's quite for the time being, but things will pick up shortly after Thorfinn manages to figure out what he needs to live for.
Old 2011-05-12, 22:29   Link #237
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New chapter is out!
Spoiler for c73:
Old 2011-05-14, 20:18   Link #238
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

I wonder
Spoiler for Chapter 73:
Old 2011-05-19, 04:32   Link #239
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Gotta say, this is one of the best manga I've read to date. I love the setting, the accuracy of the history, and most importantly its characters and the way they interact with each other. It's a real shame that it's only being released monthly now instead of weekly, but I don't mind the fact that the Slave Arc has lasted this long. I think Thorfinn really showed that he's gotten much closer to being the true warrior his father was now, and it's done it exceedingly well. That being said, I hope we'll get to see Thorfinn in action again soon.

Spoiler for 73:
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 23:19   Link #240
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c74:

Tags
historical