5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-23, 01:20   Link #221
Jays

A rather lame episode compared the to the previous two, it felt like nothing happened, come to think of it, I can't really remember much about it, only the two Setsuna fights and the other Gundams running around... and I watched it about 2 hours a go.

Some of the animation was atrocious; for the most part, the scene in the aiport felt poorly animated, specially when they where leaving - their arms looked like sausages with balls at the ends of them.

Setsuna is getting annoying... "don't touch me" or his lame attitude just suck. I know it's only three Episodes in, but from believing he's a Gundam to having homophobic rages, I can only hope that there is a pot of gold in this weird rainbow.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 01:23   Link #222
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And I just had to wonder what neutral-Japan have in stores. Will they be a second Orb? Hah!

- Tak
Japan's allied with America here.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 01:27   Link #223
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't get what all the moaning and complaining is about. It's like people aren't even giving the series a fair chance and just looking for reasons to poke at things. I'm just finishing up a blog article for the episode, which I will be posting within the next half hour here and I go into quite a bit of detail about the interesting things I bothered to notice in this episode that nobody else seems to focus on. In short, I really liked this episode a lot. Enough to give it a Ten out of Ten for setting the foundation for interesting things to follow.

In the meantime I'll say this. People are focusing way to much on the battles and not nearly enough on the dialogue and the hints it is dropping about the characters and the plotlines that are starting up. The first two episodes were apparently too fast, but now apparently this one is too slow. There's a reason for that though, and if people would focus more on what is happening, instead of trying to draw loose connections and fixating on little nitpicks, I'm sure of this, dead sure that they'd be enjoying the early part of the series as much as I am.

Okay, Finally done. Gundam 00 Episode 03 Review And Thoughts. Now the reason I liked this episode wasn't exactly for what it does, but what it hints at. The episode does a great job of setting the stage for future events, but also manages to juggle a number of things at once and not have them come across as a mess. Basically they fit a lot into one 24 minute episode. I see this as a sign of good direction. I'm Gundamed out for the night though, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-10-23 at 02:22.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 01:30   Link #224
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Japan's allied with America here.
Allied? Hot damn! Musta missed it! Yet, they go by the title of 'Special Economic Administration Zone'.

Still, fortunately, Japan has a choice, and they act as such. Especially since their attitude towards world event are hardly pro-US. Very neutral, indeed. But you know, this is Japan, and because it is Japan in a Gundam story, it automatically guarantees that it will have something unexpected in the near future.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 02:01   Link #225
Selic

Japan is part of the Union.

AFAIK, only Tokyo has been labeled as a special zone. It's probably due to its proximity with the HRL.
Selic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 02:05   Link #226
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selic View Post
Japan is part of the Union.
I think its my political preferences that forced me to deliberately not acknowledge this fact. Either that, or I've been drunk while watching 00.

Just re-watched episode 3 again. Each time I do however, nearing the end, the deja vu grows stronger. Now for different reasons.

And while I may be shot for this, Setsuna reminds me of Shinn in Destiny Episode 1:

"Do not touch me." Setsuna
"Are you trying to start war again!?" Shinn

Aye, the words are different, but the feeling/angst is the same...

- Tak (Now all we are missing is Kira taking the lead again~ http://kenkoudaa.sakura.ne.jp/page199.html)
Old 2007-10-23, 02:08   Link #227
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I don't get what all the moaning and complaining is about. It's like people aren't even giving the series a fair chance and just looking for reasons to poke at things. I'm just finishing up a blog article for the episode, which I will be posting within the next half hour here and I go into quite a bit of detail about the interesting things I bothered to notice in this episode that nobody else seems to focus on. In short, I really liked this episode a lot. Enough to give it a Ten out of Ten for setting the foundation for interesting things to follow.

In the meantime I'll say this. People are focusing way to much on the battles and not nearly enough on the dialogue and the hints it is dropping about the characters and the plotlines that are starting up. The first two episodes were apparently too fast, but now apparently this one is too slow. There's a reason for that though, and if people would focus more on what is happening, instead of trying to draw loose connections and fixating on little nitpicks, I'm sure of this, dead sure that they'd be enjoying the early part of the series as much as I am.
I dont get what you didnt get anyway.. They basically taken your role here *cough kyoAni rant cough*

Yes.. it get annoying over time for those that do appreciate the stories >.>
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 02:29   Link #228
WALAOA
scaredy bear

i think setsuna is pretty weak because he struggle so much to beat those mobile suit .Does anyone esle have the same thought i have?
WALAOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 02:37   Link #229
Elehayym

It's true tho that several people seem to enjoy nitpicking just because it's Gundam - I've seen FAR worse series this season and still the average attitude from posters on AS is way more positive.

I find some things to be waaaay over-analyzed - let's say that if everyone was to analyze every anime series that is out in this way, 99% of them wouldn't come out in good shape <.<
But the desire to check carefully all the details about the show is still something I can understand; after all they kinda called for it when they decided to have such a setting.

What I can't understand are the comments like "OMG there's no character development!!!"

... and so? We're only at episode 3 (on 50), what do you want to see of the characters more than this? I think they actually did a good job in already giving us hints, and in some cases a pretty good idea of how characters are going to be.

And you know what? I'm glad it's just hints cause the show would be hella boring if we knew already everything about the characters by episode 3 o_o

I'm not saying the episode is incredibly and shockingly good, cause absolutely it's not - but doesn't seem to me as bad as some people try to make it look, and can't keep myself from thinking that lots of this criticism comes by the simple fact that it's Gundam

Heck, in some posts it's really obvious that the intentions are to make fun of the show indipendently from what it actually does (is it white? I like it black better! Oh wait it's black instead? White only forever!)
Elehayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:25   Link #230
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

It's only ep 3 of a 50 ep series so I can't be too critical. My only complaint is it's feeling a little bit disjointed, new characters are appearing thick and fast fine that's ok. But with the that they need to be a little bit more careful to provide a context. The college kids for example they've appeared quite frequently but really there's only one scene where they're of any consequence considering the amount of screen time they've had so far. (I can't even remember their names)
Spoiler for 00:
other than that their scenes feel fairly randomly placed. Again early days, apart from that it's been a decent introduction. And I'm grateful that Setsuna struggles at times. I don't want to see a beam spam fest from start to finish. He's had what, 2-3 sorties, going up against hardened vets. I can live with that, no matter how good your gear, if you don't have the experience it'll be tougher. That's plausible and coherent rather than just "Im the lead character so by default I will pwn everything, don't even question it" mentality
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:28   Link #231
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
It's only ep 3 of a 50 ep series so I can't be too critical. My only complaint is it's feeling a little bit disjointed, new characters are appearing thick and fast fine that's ok. But with the that they need to be a little bit more careful to provide a context. The college kids for example they've appeared quite frequently but really there's only one scene where they're of any consequence considering the amount of screen time they've had so far. I can't even remember their names
Spoiler for 00:
other than that their scenes feel fairly randomly placed. Again early days, apart from that it's been a decent introduction. And I'm grateful that Setsuna struggles at times. I don't want to see a beam spam fest from start to finish. He's had what, 2-3 sorties, going up against hardened vets. I can live with that, no matter how good your gear, if you don't have the experience it'll be tougher. That's plausible and coherent rather than just "Im the lead character so by default I will pwn everything"
I agreed with this, that the students seem out of place, but I'm sure they wouldn't be in the series if they didn't have a purpose. It's kind of a frustrating wait and see ordeal, but I already have a bit of an idea of where they might go with Saji and Louise.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 05:31   Link #232
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

Well, IMHO they're going for that classical "many individuals meet up as they get involved" thing. but for now i'd have to admit it's kinda badly executed.
Old 2007-10-23, 05:47   Link #233
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I agreed with this, that the students seem out of place, but I'm sure they wouldn't be in the series if they didn't have a purpose. It's kind of a frustrating wait and see ordeal, but I already have a bit of an idea of where they might go with Saji and Louise.
Personally I think Sunrise would have prefered to not have these kids in the story. But these children are the only link the Japanese young audiences have with the 00 universe. Quite unfortunate, really; it is the price to pay for having a prime-time timeslot that needed as many viewers as possible.
Old 2007-10-23, 06:07   Link #234
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And while I may be shot for this, Setsuna reminds me of Shinn in Destiny Episode 1:

"Do not touch me." Setsuna
"Are you trying to start war again!?" Shinn

Aye, the words are different, but the feeling/angst is the same...
Huh? That analogy went way over my head there. Shinn was just lambasting everything and everyone as always, while Setsuna has a tone and speech that's just completely different and gives off an arrogant and dismissive vibe. Totally different.

Yes, this is Gundam, people. But when will the damn connections to every other Gundam every other post stop? Its one thing to compare and contrast the glaring similarities, but its just stretching it to find every itty-bitty detail and compare them to something completely different and call it the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Personally I think Sunrise would have prefered to not have these kids in the story. But these children are the only link the Japanese young audiences have with the 00 universe. Quite unfortunate, really; it is the price to pay for having a prime-time timeslot that needed as many viewers as possible.
Ditto. Mizushima voiced a concern that the Japanese audience would find it difficult to empathize with Setsuna's personality, especially without knowing his past. I guess Saji's there to allow for some sense of connection so they don't get totally disconnected from the show while Setsuna's still underdeveloped.
Old 2007-10-23, 06:13   Link #235
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:

Okay, Finally done. Gundam 00 Episode 03 Review And Thoughts. Now the reason I liked this episode wasn't exactly for what it does, but what it hints at. The episode does a great job of setting the stage for future events, but also manages to juggle a number of things at once and not have them come across as a mess. Basically they fit a lot into one 24 minute episode. I see this as a sign of good direction. I'm Gundamed out for the night though, so I'll leave it at that.
Well....it's rare to see that I'm on your side . I've thought we could never agree on anything since the day I saw you in any KyoAni's anime thread .
People always complain. Can't please everyone, I guess. Like I care about they like it or not. As long as I enjoy it, it's good.

P.S: Good job in the review. I always enjoy reading it .
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 06:34   Link #236
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm probably contradicting what I stated but we are talking about unrealistically robots that literally defy the laws of physics that tears down entire armies effortlessly. I mean how much reality can we bring into this whole thing?
No amount of shiny robots and big boobs can save completely unbelievable human interactions. This show just isn't living up to its promises of being "closer to us" (thus, use of Christian Era calendar) and about international politics. If they were going to completely dismiss the complexities that lead to people blowing their own countrimen up with "No problem in the world can't be solved with a big enough gun", they should have just stuck to straight up good vs evil instead of that pretentious set-up.

Quote:
Eitherway, it's still too early to know exactly what CB's true goals are anyways.
It has nothing to do with the CB's goals. I'm just pointing out that convincing terrorists to stop isn't as easy as waving a huge ass warmachine around, no matter how powerful it is.

About the only way I'd forgive that is if we learn later on that the CB somehow infiltrated the IRA, and other terrorist organisations and climbed all the way to the top and subtly prepared for the day of the unilateral declaration of peace after the Gundams came. Kinda like the way some conmen's accomplices pretend to be clients so the real mark would be more easily fooled.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 07:32   Link #237
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
couple of interesting developments. While nothing spectacular happened in this episode the set up for episode 4 was obvious. I was wondering how long it would take for some countries to start picking sides and supporting Celestrial Being. It happend faster than thought i was predicting around episode 10. This make the line between friend and foe blur even more.

Pretty intellgient how the Meisters get their Gundams back into space but kind of risky. No one would ever think to check the elevators or containers for Gundams, there is no reason to. I gave this episode a 7 not shabby potential is looking good but im still finding it hard to relate to the charcters they dont seem human at times. But that can also be a strength we will have to wait and see.
Old 2007-10-23, 08:59   Link #238
NeonZ

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the CB's goals. I'm just pointing out that convincing terrorists to stop isn't as easy as waving a huge ass warmachine around, no matter how powerful it is.
While I thought that last scene felt out of place, calling these Gundams "powerful warmachines" isn't good enough. They're years ahead technologically compared to any of the world powers and operate freely stopping conflicts around the world as they see fit without any effective opposition.

Under that situation, the RIRA either would have to limit itself to terrorist activity for an indefinite timespan, without any hope of making real progress for their objectives, due to certain interference of Celestial Being, a seemingly unstoppable force, or just plain give up, because they're likely to never achieve their ends. The first option is more likely, but the second one isn't completely impossible, especially because the situation of the region in 00's timeline wasn't really described.
NeonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 09:10   Link #239
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
just finished watch episode 3
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-23, 09:16   Link #240
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Shinn was just lambasting everything and everyone as always, while Setsuna has a tone and speech that's just completely different and gives off an arrogant and dismissive vibe. Totally different.
Ah see, you didn't get it. What both of them were implying was that what they said had 'happened' before, thus upon executing their moves, they discharged the same feelings toward their enemies.

As for Shinn, that was the first episode, you actually had no idea he was going to be lambasting everyone and everything as always, due to the fact that at that particular moment, it was his first time.

Regardless, all I said was that it gave me a sense of deja vu, I have not went as far as calling Setsuna a Shinn clone.

- Tak