AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-12-16, 14:06   Link #261
Alchemist007
*Author

Was alright overall, they just got happier at the new place I guess.
Somewhat of a cowards way out to mention the sexual freedom those penguins have but the MCs just get a hug at the end. Just go for it.

7/10
Old 2021-12-16, 15:05   Link #262
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Full marks, a perfect score: a sincere and thoughtful presentation of career choices, and for keeping things completely focused on the journey through life. Bonus points for this moment:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Before discussion runs away with it, I'm looking to hear thoughts on why yuri was perceived to be such an important aspect of Aquatope on White Sand. Specifically, what would have been its contributions to the main theme, how would a more significant presence alter the story for the better (in particular, which scenes would benefit the most), and how would inclusion of this element be helpful for the characters?
Old 2021-12-16, 15:19   Link #263
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought the wedding was nice. I was a bit surprised that the couple had a kid who was at least three or four. No one seemed to mind that they had apparently been living together without being married for some time.

The ending was bit meh. While I expected some kind of time-skip, I thought the final sequence was rather rushed.

I'm still impressed by the level of detail in the depictions of the animals. P.A. Works seems to really care about things like that.

I know there won't be another season, but a couple of OVA episodes set after Fuuka's return would be nice. Apparently there is a spin-off manga planned, so a couple of OVAs might be possible. There are also a couple of OVAs with super-deformed characters. I didn't see them listed on a major torrent site, so I doubt they are subbed.

I think the yuri business is just fanboying. I see nothing to indicate Kukuru and Fuuka are anything more than really close friends.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 17:07   Link #264
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I'm looking to hear thoughts on why yuri was perceived to be such an important aspect of Aquatope on White Sand. Specifically, what would have been its contributions to the main theme, how would a more significant presence alter the story for the better (in particular, which scenes would benefit the most), and how would inclusion of this element be helpful for the characters?
Here's a better question. Why should it need to contribute to the theme? Lots of stories have some (heterosexual) romantic subplot for no other reason than having some romance, but no one is bothered that it doesn't "contribute" to the themes or whatnot. So why should it be any different when it's yuri?

Not that I think there was any yuri in this show. I don't know about others but I personally always read Fuka and Kururu as friends. I'm only replying because your question is based on flawed logic and I felt like pointing that out.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2021-12-16 at 17:18.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 17:46   Link #265
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I know a lot of people did not like this series, but for me it was great. I feel bad that latest "work dramedy in rural setting" from P.A. Works all bombed. Because it is the thing they do the best.

I relly hope we'll see some more iof it in future still.

I was never hoped they'll play any GL here (wrong studion) ansd it is perfectly fine. Though, out of the left field hett romance would look even worse here.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 18:08   Link #266
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Here's a better question. Why should it need to contribute to the theme? Lots of stories have some (heterosexual) romantic subplot for no other reason than having some romance, but no one is bothered that it doesn't "contribute" to the themes or whatnot. So why should it be any different when it's yuri?

Not that I think there was any yuri in this show. I don't know about others but I personally always read Fuka and Kururu as friends. I'm only replying because your question is based on flawed logic and I felt like pointing that out.
The insistence on yuri is bordering on asinine, and it speaks poorly to the people in this thread that you're getting so defensive when the series took a direction that you personally did not like. If anything, you're the one with flawed logic, having committed a tu quoque fallacy. If that's all you have, stay out of this. Most of the negativity here comes from ignorance and a refusal to see how the real world works, but if all you can do is complain on a forum about an anime whose messages don't align with whatever you believe in, there's nil I'm going to do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I know a lot of people did not like this series, but for me it was great. I feel bad that latest "work dramedy in rural setting" from P.A. Works all bombed. Because it is the thing they do the best.
This is P.A. Works greatest strength. I'm now curious: what are the sales figures for this series like?

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-12-17 at 12:50.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 18:14   Link #267
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
This is P.A. Works greatest strength. I'm now curious: what are the sales figures for this series like?
Serenade Beta posted them a few pages ago. They are atrocious, regretfully. Sakura Quest also bombed, though, not as hard (it had like 1.5k average or so).
Old 2021-12-16, 18:21   Link #268
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Just found them, but I'll need to independently verify the numbers myself before I say anything concrete: seranade_beta has a history of falsifying claims, and there's no reason that his data is anything meaningful, since a citation wasn't even provided.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-12-17 at 12:51.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 19:06   Link #269
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Fuuka: "I'll be the first penguin!"

Two minutes later Chiyu mentions penguins form gay couples. And she says this to Kai, of all people. That's as good a confirmation as we're ever going to get. My headcanon is that Kukuru and Fuuka will be the first lesbian couple to marry in the white sand dome.

The reason I wanted Kukuru and Fuuka to end up together isn't because they're two girls, but because it makes a tremendous amount of sense. They were pretty much living together before Fuuka left, and Fuuka supported Kukuru every step of the way. If one of them was a guy people wouldn't even be asking the question as to whether there was romance between them.

As for the rest, nothing much changed about Kukuru's decision from last week so I have nothing to add. The real disappointment of the episode is that the supporting characters got the shaft. Kai wanting to confess to Kukuru was dropped, Kuuya never really got that much better with women and we don't see what Udon is up to. Characters introduced in the second half like Akari and Marina got a better resolution, we saw they both moved up the ladder.
Old 2021-12-16, 20:54   Link #270
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Fuuka: "I'll be the first penguin!"

Two minutes later Chiyu mentions penguins form gay couples. And she says this to Kai, of all people. That's as good a confirmation as we're ever going to get. My headcanon is that Kukuru and Fuuka will be the first lesbian couple to marry in the white sand dome.

The reason I wanted Kukuru and Fuuka to end up together isn't because they're two girls, but because it makes a tremendous amount of sense. They were pretty much living together before Fuuka left, and Fuuka supported Kukuru every step of the way. If one of them was a guy people wouldn't even be asking the question as to whether there was romance between them.

As for the rest, nothing much changed about Kukuru's decision from last week so I have nothing to add. The real disappointment of the episode is that the supporting characters got the shaft. Kai wanting to confess to Kukuru was dropped, Kuuya never really got that much better with women and we don't see what Udon is up to. Characters introduced in the second half like Akari and Marina got a better resolution, we saw they both moved up the ladder.
Erm. They showed that Kuuya actually got better with women after becoming fish team leader. And Udon-chan is now working in Tingarla also. There is a scene with her and Umi-yan.
Old 2021-12-16, 21:53   Link #271
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it seems that the wedding really paid off with the opening of the new part being a big hit But both those girl really did find there own path even with those hardships

7/10 Kind of hoping for a movie later down the line to see what they will become
Old 2021-12-16, 22:08   Link #272
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 22:45   Link #273
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm all for surprise yuri but the bait was really sort of anemic and the pairing was just sort of boring in the grand scheme. Honestly none of the characters were all that compelling, especially in the second cour.

Maybe PA Works can do a real yuri someday... not like it will do worse than half of what they've put out recently. Sort of wonder how they're still afloat. The Shirobako movie was entertaining at least.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-16, 23:46   Link #274
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The real disappointment of the episode is that the supporting characters got the shaft.
Including the dolphin.

As for the success of this show, there is the planned manga I mentioned above. Whether this comes to fruition would probably tell us a lot about how well Aquatope was accepted.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-17, 01:57   Link #275
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Sorry, but I can't recommend it.

Yes, it's gorgeous and it ends well, but the best I can say is that if you want a workplace anime about young women finding their way in the world, skip the first cour and only watch the second one. You don't need the first cour, because nothing beyond stuff that can be (and often is) explained in a sentence or two ever comes up in the second cour. And in fact, the two cours taken together send an absolutely terrible message about childhood dreams and aspirations.

And Episode 20 is easily the most painful and soul-crushing thing I've seen in anime all year. By a lot.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-17, 04:53   Link #276
Dop
Mmmm....

So, that was that then. Your basic rite-of-passage show with Fuuka and Kukuru finding their way in the world and realising what they want to do in their lives, and that's fine.
They brought back a shade of the first cour's 'magical' aspect as we see the little local deity thing scamper around Tingaria. But that feels like they put that in at the start but couldn't really decide what to do with it so left it out all but the last bit of the series.

It was kind of OK. Nicely animated but I don't see myself ever wanting to watch it again. One of those shows you watch when it's on but have completely forgotten about before a year is out.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-17, 09:56   Link #277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Erm. They showed that Kuuya actually got better with women after becoming fish team leader. And Udon-chan is now working in Tingarla also. There is a scene with her and Umi-yan.
The scene was Kuuya speaking to Karin, who he has known forever. Doesn't tell us much about his growth. And I guess I missed Udon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Including the dolphin.

As for the success of this show, there is the planned manga I mentioned above. Whether this comes to fruition would probably tell us a lot about how well Aquatope was accepted.
I thought about Ban-chan a little after I finished my post. They spent a lot of time on it and they never told us what happened to it. "You should care about marine life", they say, but they didn't care enough to show us what became of the poor dolphin who was separated from his family.
Old 2021-12-17, 17:53   Link #278
Wandering Soul

Despite the focus on Kukuru the second half gave, I still came out of this liking Fuuka more. She's my favorite character out of this show.

Overall it was a nice series to follow. Not too attached to it, but I still enjoyed the ride for what's it worth. As for the supposed yuri undertones, I don't really care much about it. I honestly just went with the series explanation of them being sisters in all but blood.
Old 2021-12-18, 08:48   Link #279
ryllharu

I really wanted to like this, but I couldn't even be bothered to watch the last episode. I don't know that this situation has ever really happened to me, where I get nearly to the very end, but the series has become so disengaging that that final 20 minutes is something I don't want to waste my time on. I don't need any closure, because the series' 2nd cour never provided a purpose to need one.

I'm honestly a little surprised that people continue to insist that "working series" are what P.A. Works does best, because aside from Shirobako and Hanasaku Iroha, they've been average at best, dreadful at worst. Aquatope ends up being staunchly mediocre. They really excel at coming of age stories, like Hanasaku Iroha and Nagi no Asukara. But above all, they're inconsistent.

I had high expectations for this series, really enjoyed the first cour and the potential it had even going into the 2nd cour, but then it just stalled and ultimately went nowhere. Like they had completely run out of ideas. Aquatope's second cour specifically seemed to go out of its way to immediately deflate and resolve its own tension at the swiftest opportunity. It wasn't the characters, it wasn't the way Kukuru was acting or the way her boss was treating her, it was the series composition relentlessly creating and resolving every conflict (personal or professional) almost as quickly as it arose.

It just coasted from Chiyu's backstory all the way to the end, which itself was resolved far too quickly and easily. I enjoy slice of life series, and those are often devoid of much tension and conflict, but they still have their own highs and lows, set up, anticipation, and finally that cathartic release of it, often in the form of a gag, an epiphany, or even just delight. Aquatope's 2nd cour trained viewers to expect a low-effort resolution to any problem created in that episode.

Aquatope ultimately feels like two completely unrelated series concepts poorly grafted together. It's all just continual missed opportunities, set ups with no payoff, and all-too-easy resolutions.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-18, 13:52   Link #280
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I'm honestly a little surprised that people continue to insist that "working series" are what P.A. Works does best, because aside from Shirobako and Hanasaku Iroha, they've been average at best, dreadful at worst. Aquatope ends up being staunchly mediocre. They really excel at coming of age stories, like Hanasaku Iroha and Nagi no Asukara. But above all, they're inconsistent.
I actually really liked Sakura Quest and thought it was way better than Hanasaku Iroha, but I also can't stand Mari Okada, so there's that. Speaking of, isn't she kind of overdue to do something for PA Works?
stray is offline   Reply With Quote