AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 19:56   Link #28441
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Anyone have advice for getting your writing mojo back when you're recovering from a cold? I've been sick with a pretty persistent bug now for about two weeks, and I'm starting to get better, but my plotbunnies stay cheerfully just out of reach munching on fresh green grass.
Erm... can't help you there. I do some of my best writing when I'm sick, since I feel too lousy to do anything but sit in bed and come up with ideas.

On that note, I'll probably have a new chapter of Infinity up by the weekend if this scratchy feeling in my throat that's been there since this morning and is steadily getting worse has anything to say about it.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 23:14   Link #28442
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Erm... can't help you there. I do some of my best writing when I'm sick, since I feel too lousy to do anything but sit in bed and come up with ideas.
The only fic idea I ever successfully finished in one writing session was Shadow while I was sick. The rest of the time, when I'm sick I'm just feeling way too distracted to actually sit down and write.
Old 2011-01-05, 23:17   Link #28443
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Anyone have advice for getting your writing mojo back when you're recovering from a cold? I've been sick with a pretty persistent bug now for about two weeks, and I'm starting to get better, but my plotbunnies stay cheerfully just out of reach munching on fresh green grass.
Actually, I've been dealing with a nasty cold ever since 6 p.m. Saturday night and it's been killing my ability to pick up and start any new writing projects. Heck, I can barely keep up with my correspondence and forum postings. Actually, I'm considerably behind on my correspondence/reviews/review replies, as spawn, deathcurse, Mozco and Fuyu no Sora can all testify. (Come to think of it, I also still owe you a review on Into the Rain 3 *headdesk*) Er, I watched all of Taisho Baseball Girls, so that's sort of a success?

Anyway, other stuff.

@AtomicoX: Damn, this is starting to read like one of the good Clock Tower games. With no other cues available, lets follow the middle door and see what's making the creepy sound, so...um, I think that's B. Hope it doesn't end with Arisa not having enough information/equipment to confront what's there... *nervous*

@Kaijo:
Spoiler for Wall of text with insufficient paragraph breaks:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 23:35   Link #28444
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
The only fic idea I ever successfully finished in one writing session was Shadow while I was sick. The rest of the time, when I'm sick I'm just feeling way too distracted to actually sit down and write.
Heh, it helps that I'm a natural daydreamer. I basically do nothing but sit and come up with ideas when left to my own devices; it's pesky things like work and non-fanfiction hobbies that kill my inspiration. Once I have nothing to do but sit in bed, I just think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Actually, I've been dealing with a nasty cold ever since 6 p.m. Saturday night and it's been killing my ability to pick up and start any new writing projects. Heck, I can barely keep up with my correspondence and forum postings. Actually, I'm considerably behind on my correspondence/reviews/review replies, as spawn, deathcurse, Mozco and Fuyu no Sora can all testify. (Come to think of it, I also still owe you a review on Into the Rain 3 *headdesk*) Er, I watched all of Taisho Baseball Girls, so that's sort of a success?
You say that like you need an excuse to be behind on reviews.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 23:55   Link #28445
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I actually have 28 and 29 done, and I usually try to space release 5 days apart or so, to lessen the gap between the more... difficult chapters. But I suppose I can toss this out now, since i"m making good progress on chapter 30, and I just might be able to keep up the pace until I'm done... hopefully.

Future Tense

Chapter 28: The Calm Before

In which Nanoha runs into quite a few people she knows, and Fate makes a discovery that leaves her conflicted...

Previous chapters can be found here.

Spoiler for Future Tense, Chapter 28: The Calm Before:
I don't need to keep reminding you to check the quote for corrections, do I?

Well, the title is apt all right as it's a rather low key chapter. Though how they all got to Mid Childa was a bit... too convienient. I mean, Nanoha had to go through so much to get back, when instead she could have just gone back to where Vivio was and teleported back there. For that matter, would it really go unnoticed by the Bureau? Surely they could detect such a magical reaction, or pick up on the teleportation signal or something.

And the reveal at the end was sudden on the 'complete ass pull' level. Though I admit it could be because Layla was such a minor character where her looks and age as said in previous chapters didn't register as important information. I sure don't remember anything about her save for her teleport ability.

As to your question, from day one I've always called her 'Clonoha', so she's not either But yeah, Seikou is just an alias she uses rather than her actual identity.
Old 2011-01-06, 07:54   Link #28446
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

Send a message via MSN to The Guy Named Zeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Waddya know I managed to find a net café. Which means I can post Choice B!

Spoiler for Roadside Manor Part 3:
I'm getting Amnesia: The Dark Descent vibes coming from this so that makes me go with C the middle door.
Old 2011-01-06, 08:47   Link #28447
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

@Deso: You said middle door before saying B, so going with that, since C is actually middle. Blame me for weird letter designations.

Choice C has been chosen. The Middle Door. Wish her good luck.

Spoiler for Roadside Manor Part 4:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 09:54   Link #28448
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

GentlemensDame883 has been on a bit of a roll these few days. There's a TVTropes page for MD now.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 11:43   Link #28449
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
@Kaijo:
Spoiler for Wall of text with insufficient paragraph breaks:
First off, hope you feel better soon, and don't worry too much about falling behind on reviews. As a writer, it's helpful to know how I'm doing on hints and such, and whether I need to add more or less (and on some of these, I keep thinking if I add one more, everyone will figure it out, heh). Thanks for the praise on fight scenes, though. I've actually done so much of Nanoha fighting this fic, that sometimes it's hard coming up with something a bit different for the next fight, and it's often the fights that are holding me up at times. Hopefully, with the mix of fights I have coming up, that pressure should be relieved a bit.

Regarding Fate and her situation... it certainly is one way of looking at it, to see what she got herself into. But then again, from another point of view, maybe it was a bit inevitable; after all, how many people on Mid-Childa do you think have issues with the Bureau? How many draft dodgers were there during the Vietnam war? If it wasn't this family, she'd probably run into one eventually that had issues with the Bureau, or run into some mages on the run or hiding.

And I've always found it interesting how someone with good intentions can slowly let themselves slide, never really asking those questions, or trying to rationalize them away. Once you get into the mode of "sacrifices are necessary" it can be a pretty slippery slope. The Bureau has always employed child soldiers, so there is certainly already a certain ethical underpinning right now (and if Lindy is any indication, none of them see anything wrong with this).

As far as filler goes, I suppose I can't really help that. I suppose I could have made it a bit neater and shorter, but it might have come across as too convenient, too. Honestly, I get criticisms when I draw things out a bit with "filler" and when I speed things up making things seem a bit too easy and convenient. ;p

But thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I don't need to keep reminding you to check the quote for corrections, do I?

Well, the title is apt all right as it's a rather low key chapter. Though how they all got to Mid Childa was a bit... too convienient. I mean, Nanoha had to go through so much to get back, when instead she could have just gone back to where Vivio was and teleported back there. For that matter, would it really go unnoticed by the Bureau? Surely they could detect such a magical reaction, or pick up on the teleportation signal or something.
Nanoha actually wanted to go to Lutecia to get teleported to Mid-Childa, but she couldn't because Jalacia was under an Enforcer Blockade since they were searching for her. Once she made it evident she was no longer there, the Enforcers had no reason to continue their search. Thus, anyone else could come and go as they wanted to the continent.

In short, Reality Ensues.

Isis met up with Togu and Rose as they all fled the Bureau attack, and kinda stuck together, especially when they all learned they wanted revenge on the Bureau. It might be a bit convenient, but then again, I'd have to add more to this fic and drag out a bit longer to get everything, heh (I had planned to mention that Togu had met Laguna before, during a training jaunt on Jalacia, and Laguna knows where Lutecia lives; it just never came up).

You bring up a fair point with the teleportation issue, which I debated including some lines, and then decided I could possibly do it next chapter if it was an issue. But remember, the magic detectors are the sentinel drones (That was why Lutecia could only give Nanoha a short teleport assist on her way to Vivio). As long as they aren't nearby (and you can bet they'd have some people on lookout), they'd be able to teleport things in. I could add some technobabble as to how they are masking the signal in background noise or something, which is what I had initially debated, but ultimately left out.

Quote:
And the reveal at the end was sudden on the 'complete ass pull' level. Though I admit it could be because Layla was such a minor character where her looks and age as said in previous chapters didn't register as important information. I sure don't remember anything about her save for her teleport ability.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not giving enough information, heh. I thought the fact that she used teleport and support magic (she even does a short "boost up" chant spell), would be enough clues. People probably don't pay attention to physical descriptions much, but I mentioned her red hair a few times.

But this is good info for me, since more so than any other fic, I have quite a few mysteries going on here, and varying degrees of hints. I don't want to make things too obvious or spell things out, but I don't want to make things so subtle and obscure that no one sees it. I suppose it depends on reader, though. (and I do have a few things that are a bit subtle). It's a difficult line to walk, because I keep feeling that if I say even one more hint, or make a connection between things, I'll reveal the whole thing before it's time.

As a way of making up, I'll give a couple of hints. Don't read unless you want to (although they are technically things I've already shown, I'm just pointing them out again).
Spoiler for hints:

Lastly, thanks everyone for your responses to the question, whether her or via IMs. It helps me see what I've presented, vs. what readers actually take out of it.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 11:47   Link #28450
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
I actually have 28 and 29 done, and I usually try to space release 5 days apart or so, to lessen the gap between the more... difficult chapters. But I suppose I can toss this out now, since i"m making good progress on chapter 30, and I just might be able to keep up the pace until I'm done... hopefully.

Future Tense

Chapter 28: The Calm Before

In which Nanoha runs into quite a few people she knows, and Fate makes a discovery that leaves her conflicted...

Previous chapters can be found here.

Spoiler for Future Tense, Chapter 28: The Calm Before:
FINALLY got around to reading this fully. (I admit, I first read it just for the Fate stuff, then I went back and re-read it.)

Set-up chapters generally are boring, aren't they?

Anyway, nope, didn't see her being Erio's kid, nope, not at all.

still, ouch, Hayate's in her own league, huh?

I guess Darth Hayate wasn't too far off from the mark.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 12:23   Link #28451
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Set-up chapters generally are boring, aren't they?
Heh, you can say that. They're interesting to me, but I realize that, without some action going on, they can tend to seem a bit.. talky, which helps the boring factor.

Quote:
Anyway, nope, didn't see her being Erio's kid, nope, not at all.
Well, based on all feedback so far, I guess it's obvious I need to work on my hints more. I had hoped this was one of the more obvious ones. So, look for some fairly blatant hints in the next couple of chapters... hopefully...
Old 2011-01-06, 13:00   Link #28452
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
M'girl, the best course of action is probably just to rest and get better or see a doc if it's been quite heavy going for 2 whole weeks. You don't want it to turn into anything that might linger - better safe than sorry.

I can't draw when I'm down with a cold because it's not enough of a distraction from feeling like crap and I can't 'see' the picture.
Old 2011-01-06, 14:14   Link #28453
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

New

Shine Part 1

Shine Part 2

Shine Part 3

Shine Part 4

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Shine Part 5:

Old 2011-01-06, 14:27   Link #28454
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not giving enough information, heh. I thought the fact that she used teleport and support magic (she even does a short "boost up" chant spell), would be enough clues. People probably don't pay attention to physical descriptions much, but I mentioned her red hair a few times.
Okay, I guess I remember the red hair bit, but none of those things about her are exactly unique.

Also, you only mentioned their daughter like, once, and never referenced her again until now. Chekov's gun and all, but there wasn't anything building up to it so the reveal was really sudden. Nothing you can really do about that, though.

... But if they've been there for a few weeks, how come Kerikeyon didn't react until that moment?
Old 2011-01-06, 14:39   Link #28455
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Okay, I guess I remember the red hair bit, but none of those things about her are exactly unique.

Also, you only mentioned their daughter like, once, and never referenced her again until now. Chekov's gun and all, but there wasn't anything building up to it so the reveal was really sudden. Nothing you can really do about that, though.

... But if they've been there for a few weeks, how come Kerikeyon didn't react until that moment?
I thought that was the first time that Erio and his daughter were in the same area at the same time as Kerikeyon?

Old 2011-01-06, 15:18   Link #28456
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Not unique, obviously. But then again, Erio and Caro aren't technically unique themselves. That's why they are hints, and not outright statements.

Quote:
This is true. I couldn't really bring it up, since Erio wasn't in the picture and no one else was really thinking about it. But like I said, part of it is probably my fault, if I didn't provide enough hints. I thought people might at least go, "Hmm, support magic and teleportation? Could she possible be...?" The whole "Boost up" thing was hopefully to make people think of Caro.

I think my real issue is that I didn't juxtapose the two earlier, with something like side-by-side scenes. I did only introduce Layla after we learned Erio had a daughter, so was kinda hoping people may have been looking by that point.

Quote:
Lutecia has been holding Kerykeion, and as Nanya said, it was the first time they were in the same place together. Layla hadn't been to the base yet; it was her first time there with Nanoha. Teana's group flees Clanaga -> finds Rio and Corona -> Givo senses Nanoha is back and the group heads to find them. If that wasn't clear, I can try to clarify. It's why I deliberately had Layla go away before Nanoha met Lutecia and the gang the first time.

Right now, I'm adding a bit to a scene to clarify the teleporter issue. Keep bringing up your concerns, so we can see if I adequately addressed something or not!^^
Old 2011-01-06, 18:58   Link #28457
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
As far as filler goes, I suppose I can't really help that. I suppose I could have made it a bit neater and shorter, but it might have come across as too convenient, too. Honestly, I get criticisms when I draw things out a bit with "filler" and when I speed things up making things seem a bit too easy and convenient. ;p

But thanks for your comments!
May I "speak" bluntly?

Spoiler for Further text walls, critique-y:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 08:11   Link #28458
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
May I "speak" bluntly?
I'd like to chime in that I find Dezo's assessment accurate. For instance, I personally am very interested in Hayate's character arc; does she realize what she's done, or does she fall further due to the events inherent? ... plus the Wolkenritter and whether they ever realize that they've basically backslid ... while I couldn't care less about Caro and Erio's child (hence, missing that revelation was both expected and didn't bother me much; I was feeling a bit of 'get on with it').

You basically have a crapton of threads, not all of which really were necessary to the story you're trying to tell. Perhaps some of them would have done better (if you really wanted to tell these side stories) if they had been in separate omake one-shot/two-shot/you-get-the-pictures.
Old 2011-01-07, 11:42   Link #28459
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

New

Shine Parts 1-5

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Shine Part 6:

Old 2011-01-07, 12:07   Link #28460
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
May I "speak" bluntly?

Spoiler for Further text walls, critique-y:
Haha, in short, I fit in a bit too much, eh? Good to know. I'm able to keep everything straight in my head, but then again, I'm the author and I have to. Although I do feel it is going on a bit longer than I had planned for. Originally, I wanted it to be the size of Crisis, but it's gonna be several chapters beyond that.

About the characters, you do have a point. I even got a review once, that said something to the effect of "I wanted to see how this would have affected this character, but you had them dead!" I'll admit a very small part of the reason for characters having died through the years, is so that would be less characters to deal with. So I feel I'm in a bit of a bind there.

But looking at what I've got left, I am heavily leaning towards dropping a chunk here and there of what I've got left, in order to streamline the important stuff. I'll do some thinking. The next chapter is done, but I'll have to decide what I want to pull off it, or how to cut things down.

The other option is to keep stuff intact (and there isn't too much left, really), and just let people brush over the stuff they find uninteresting. As someone recently said to me, "You obviously can't please everyone, but as long as most everyone can find parts they enjoy..."

Thanks for the comments, though. It gives me ideas for how much I can include in a story without burdening the readers, heh.

Edit to add: Uploaded Future Tense, Chapter 28: The Calm Before to ff.net with a few revisions and author's notes. Nothing too major.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2011-01-07 at 12:28.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha