AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-22, 13:47   Link #341
grecefar

I like that even if he doesn't mean to, leon is helping the princes to grown a little.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 14:08   Link #342
Twi

Review here.

Spoiler for Cut Content:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I do like the series but if you're looking for consistency this isn't the series for you. The entire setting was introduced as a shitpost that wasn't really intended to make sense to begin with.

Also I think he's referring to an AU side story which I'm not sure is even canon to begin with.
You're not exactly wrong, but as someone who champions the Marie Route I have to oppose the questions of its canonicity out of obligation.
Old 2022-05-22, 14:17   Link #343
mickbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post

You're not exactly wrong, but as someone who champions the Route I have to oppose the questions of its canonicity out of obligation.

It something that.... hell I don't want to read this but the lore behind it is too strong
a missing puzzle piece for the drama
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 14:24   Link #344
Lex79

I can't think of a better punishment for Julius than having to deal with his mother's obvious crush on Leon.
Old 2022-05-22, 15:30   Link #345
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Wasn't Olivia supposed be moron that has no problem slaping prince of whole nation and then getting spoiled by him and another four similiarly powerful fellows while withstanding bullying all the way? I mean she is still moron, but there is no really reason for her act so radically different just because sentai squad got replaced by Leon and Ange.
iirc ,when the slap scene happens, Olivia did not know who the prince was when she slapped him

as some people have pointed out, the mayor fuck up is that the game is in turbo mode, Olivia was supossed to develop a tougher skin in1 -2 years, not a few months, then to make matters worse this is the harem route so Olivia has to put up with all the routes difficulties not just the ones of a single capture target.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 15:38   Link #346
Lex79

Olivia was also deprived of her chances to grow since Leon is solving every problem for her. Her not being as tough as in the game isn't really surprising.
Old 2022-05-22, 15:45   Link #347
Tenzen12

Olivia is only commoner in whole school, even if she didn't know who the blue were she still slapped someone of much higher standing. Prince might be dumbass, but I don't think he would do something equal or worse then insulting people she cares for. On top of that I don't think speedrun explanation works here as Olivia gets actually bullied later then in game as Maria got all "events" Olivia would have to go through. And lastly sentai squad are super protective and ready to spoil target of her affection so it wouldn't be that different from Leon helping her.
Old 2022-05-22, 15:55   Link #348
Twi

Yeah, but you have to remember that the Prince and the others got their privileges revoked so they don't have as much power to punish anyone who actively bullies her severely. Marie had gotten all the bullies off her back before picking the fight with Angie by rushing it, but spreading it out over time would have given Olivia more time to acclimate to her surroundings and grow closer to a lover. From a development standpoint, it would have been I think her gradually growing a spine as she delved into the Dungeon with one of the Love Interests and finding in them a foundation along with her own struggles before she reaches the first Saint Item.

Marie basically optimized the Harem Route, speedrunning it while carefully cultivating the scenarios and triggering the flags needed while ignoring the unnecessary ones. I kind of imagine it being like if Keima from The World Only God Knows got dropped into the world after he had that gender bender and started playing Otome games. The only consequence is that it hasted a lot of other events tied into the plot in the background, with Julius breaking his engagement with the Redgraves diminishing Angie's power base too soon, and possibly going after Brad so soon made it that the ringtailed broad felt that since the Redgraves were more vulnerable so she could get away with trying to insult the former woman on the top of the world while trying to kill her former Fiancee.

It's basically Game of Thrones in the background, but Leon doesn't like the details so he ignores it until it bites him later on and Marie is attempting to become a religious icon who can kick the entire system to the side so she doesn't care.

As for her not knowing Julius at first, it's not uncommon to not know the Royalty. The ringtailed broad (I refuse to use her name) didn't recognize Mylene, the Queen, because her family was never invited to the Court. Julius being the crown prince is something all the nobles might know because he would be attending in their year, but you think all these backwater nobles would have seen him in person before then? Let alone a commoner.

The interesting bit is that Olivia would have had the spine to slap him at the beginning of the game, but somehow got far timider as time went on.
Old 2022-05-22, 16:00   Link #349
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Livia was intimidated, Leon defeated the pirates, Ange fought again with the noble girl and Leon realized that perhaps he had negatively influenced Livia (he was very overprotective), to wait to see how they encourage the rest of the volume.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 16:03   Link #350
Dark Wing

This show is freaking comedy gold! We have this whole Otome drama going on in the background and Leon is just along for the ride trying to get rich along the way. I just love my asshole protags!
Old 2022-05-22, 16:44   Link #351
Tenzen12

Quote:
Yeah, but you have to remember that the Prince and the others got their privileges revoked so they don't have as much power to punish anyone who actively bullies her severely. Marie had gotten all the bullies off her back before picking the fight with Angie by rushing it, but spreading it out over time would have given Olivia more time to acclimate to her surroundings and grow closer to a lover. From a development standpoint, it would have been I think her gradually growing a spine as she delved into the Dungeon with one of the Love Interests and finding in them a foundation along with her own struggles before she reaches the first Saint Item.

Marie basically optimized the Harem Route, speedrunning it while carefully cultivating the scenarios and triggering the flags needed while ignoring the unnecessary ones. I kind of imagine it being like if Keima from The World Only God Knows got dropped into the world after he had that gender bender and started playing Otome games. The only consequence is that it hasted a lot of other events tied into the plot in the background, with Julius breaking his engagement with the Redgraves diminishing Angie's power base too soon, and possibly going after Brad so soon made it that the ringtailed broad felt that since the Redgraves were more vulnerable so she could get away with trying to insult the former woman on the top of the world while trying to kill her former Fiancee.

It's basically Game of Thrones in the background, but Leon doesn't like the details so he ignores it until it bites him later on and Marie is attempting to become a religious icon who can kick the entire system to the side so she doesn't care.

As for her not knowing Julius at first, it's not uncommon to not know the Royalty. The ringtailed broad (I refuse to use her name) didn't recognize Mylene, the Queen, because her family was never invited to the Court. Julius being the crown prince is something all the nobles might know because he would be attending in their year, but you think all these backwater nobles would have seen him in person before then? Let alone a commoner.

The interesting bit is that Olivia would have had the spine to slap him at the beginning of the game, but somehow got far timider as time went on.
Their privileges got revoked because Leon and there was no Leon in game timeline (well, not as someone doing anything at least). They literaly fought Ange on her behalf, helped her beat pirates etc... Not to mention Olivia/Maria slapped someone as very first thing in game. She didn't need any time aclimatise to defend herself/someone else. She didn't know her place from very beginning, it's not result of character development.
Old 2022-05-22, 17:02   Link #352
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
It's not "somehow". Her "getting timider" has been happening since the start of this arc, where she gets a lot of hostility from people for being a commoner and for being connected to Leon and Angelica.

For example, when she was trying to promote the maid cafe. Or when she tried to defend Angelica and/or Leon (I forget) from being insulted or attacked by noble girls.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 17:17   Link #353
Twi

So because she hadn't interacted with Nobles before she arrived she thought that they would be... more accommodating, and that's why she slapped Julius as the inciting incident that starts the game as one human to another (and this is predicated on the fact that he said something that earned it reflexively). But as she spent time there she learned that she was at the bottom of the pecking order?

It's not the fact that they lost their power, it's the fact that someone bullying Olivia before would have to deal with one of the five suitors under normal circumstances, rather than all five at once. I'm working on the assumption that the Harem Route is basically the mode after you've beaten all five routes and know perfectly how to twist them into loving you like a scheming manipulator. As you play through the game normally on a single route, you pick one and build a bond with them that gives you a foundation.

Mind you, it could be that I've got the route tree in my head wrong and you start to get to know all five and then pick which Route you want in the second year... but if that was the case, couldn't Leon just save scum the first year at the break point and level everyone's affection up before hand.
Old 2022-05-22, 17:36   Link #354
Tenzen12

Does she looks like someone who would slap others in first place to you? Ange assaulting people is consistent, she is prone to oubursts after all, but did Olivia ever showed spine? We are talking about disparaging people she cares most after family, but she didn't get even angry on their behalf only flustered. It's not that she doesn't care, but she is completely non-confrontial. If you are saying such person would slap someone "reflexively" regardless whether she thinks of them just as "fellow human" or not, I have to press X.
Old 2022-05-22, 17:48   Link #355
Twi

I'm not doubting you, but I have to question why she even did it in the game to start his route in the first place?
Old 2022-05-22, 17:58   Link #356
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Olivia is more of a mob than Leon at this point.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 17:58   Link #357
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

"Were you really after my body all along?"

That's the kind of question there is no right answer to. Leon said no, and we've seen her reaction. If he had said yes, she would have been just as devastated. And Leon is selling himself short, as usual. It wasn't because she was the game's heroine that he acted nicely toward her, he was genuinely mad to see those chicks bully her, and he was immediately charmed by her personality and wondered how he could have ever thought she was devious when playing the game.

The solution probably won't even come from him, but from Angie.
Old 2022-05-22, 19:10   Link #358
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

That's the kind of question there is no right answer to. Leon said no, and we've seen her reaction. If he had said yes, she would have been just as devastated. And Leon is selling himself short, as usual. It wasn't because she was the game's heroine that he acted nicely toward her, he was genuinely mad to see those chicks bully her, and he was immediately charmed by her personality and wondered how he could have ever thought she was devious when playing the game.

The solution probably won't even come from him, but from Angie.
That not the entirety of it. In a lot of his internal narration, he refers to her as being the heroine who he needs to save the Kingdom against the final boss, so part of his motivation for helping her was his survival. Knowing this he realized that being a "mob" he intended to have her fulfill her role and then bow out of things once she had things in check. Olivia is necessary to beat the final boss, which is why he went out of his way to bait this obvious trap.

The moment that clicked, he realized that he was using her and everything was painted over in that brush (he viewed himself as being no better than Carla). Yeah, Leon hated seeing her bullied, but he also knows that she was destined for greater things and if the story was playing out with the Five watching out for her, he'd just let it happen.

That's why I've been calling the ringtailed broad the current villain. Marie got the Five, but she's largely focused on babying them and doesn't go out of her way to mess with Olivia now that she's triggered her events. This new girl, on the other hand, single-handled stomped the budding friendship that Olivia had with both Leon and Angie into the ground and forced them to reevaluate who they were and what they were doing.

If they can overcome this trial their bonds will be unbreakable.
Old 2022-05-22, 19:33   Link #359
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

That's the kind of question there is no right answer to.
The problem is that its an essay question, not a yes/no.
Quote:
The moment that clicked, he realized that he was using her and everything was painted over in that brush (he viewed himself as being no better than Carla). Yeah, Leon hated seeing her bullied, but he also knows that she was destined for greater things and if the story was playing out with the Five watching out for her, he'd just let it happen.
The frustrating thing with Leon here is that there's literally no path for Olivia to get back onto the game route. The starting 5 made their bed with Marie and moreover they're disinherited thanks to Leon himself. Maybe I think he was isekai'ed younger because its hard to see him as someone who was a functional adult in his past life, he's got zero comprehension of consequences at all.

BTW I know how you feel about Marie's route but this really isn't the place to talk about it one way or another.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-22, 20:17   Link #360
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
There are a lot of issues for Livia. Her original path in terms of love interest protagonist was cut off fast and quick by Marie. And the more main story portion of her role of protagonist has been cut off by Leon. It's kind of tragic how these (presumably) siblings have basically left her as more of a mob character than Leon thinks of himself as. Of course I can't say it's terrible to try and help Livia out and caring about what happens to her. But it is fair to say that he's left her growth stunted. Leon can and will resolve most issues. The biggest chance she's had to step up was during the duel itself. But beyond that, it's just been one struggle after another.

No question there are just layers to all this. Not only has the impact of Leon and Marie thrown things into chaos, but it has done so very quickly. Before Livia could even get her feet under her in that school things had long since gotten out of hand.

I honestly hope this is setting her up for a big growth moment before the show is over. There's no getting into a relationship with any of her original love interests. That ship is gone. But she can still stand strong as a major character in the story and gain the kind of confidence she would have gotten in the game storyline. Regardless it would be a really sad thing to end with her being at a low point. Or even just clawing back to being 'kind of in the background.' I'm sure at least her friendship with Angie will get resolved in a solid way. But there's a long road to walk.

At the very least it will get Leon thinking a bit more. It'd be easy to look at the world as being a game. All the easier since it is very much set up in the same way as that game despite the people being very much alive. And he isn't totally detached. He doesn't want to kill people if he can help it. But on some level it had to be easy to see the Prince and his friends as their roles in the game, or Livia as "the protagonist", Angie as "the rival", etc. He is getting to know them, but not truly grasping the situation that was unfolding lead to the end of this episode.

At least there was the fun and cute scene of Mylene swooning at the mention of Leon's name .

Tags
harem