AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-07, 06:02   Link #21
RDNexus

It may be among your standard fantasy shounen battle manga fare, but given that it's authored by a foreigner, I feel a sense of duty to watch it despite not feeling that way from all western-born stories.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 06:16   Link #22
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Depends on how hard it is to find volunteers. Forcing people to become superpowered engines of destruction doesn't work out well. It also depends on how desperate for sorcerers they are.

But really, what logic can you expect from people who go out of their way to bully a dragon? A dragon they depend on to protect them from Nemeses.
That trope lol

If the world is truly in danger, volunteers will be easy to get
Even without organization, desperate people would go out of their way to touch a nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I mean, if you want to explore a realistic way in which the existence of a few extremely powerful magic users would actually affect life that would be interesting but I doubt any anime has ever done it properly. They usually tend to downplay just how disruptive that would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
It may be among your standard fantasy shounen battle manga fare, but given that it's authored by a foreigner, I feel a sense of duty to watch it despite not feeling that way from all western-born stories.
I thought a foreign author would write more realistic and profound story
But it's just standard shounen
Well, too early to say with 1 episode
Will follow at least 3 more episodes to decide
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 06:30   Link #23
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
That trope lol

If the world is truly in danger, volunteers will be easy to get
Even without organization, desperate people would go out of their way to touch a nemesis
Eh. In that world, sorcerers are pretty low, socially speaking. If in addition the survival rate is low...

But yes, like I said, it depends on how desperate they are.

Quote:
That's kinda racist...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 06:43   Link #24
Xiyon

Quote:
Well, too early to say with 1 episode
Will follow at least 3 more episodes to decide
I wasn't expecting realism but I wanted a twist to the formula because, eh, possibly different cultural background. This first episode felt generic japanese shounen. Still, it's only been one episode so I'm with you on this. Three episode rule-a go.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 06:52   Link #25
RDNexus

Well, it sure is a bit unfortunate that a western author ended up penning a story of quite a staple genre, but at least he managed to get that far. Not sure if it was big-time luck or lots of effort in many fronts.

But yes, if said storycould've been something less staple and a bit more groundbreaking, maybe there could be a chance for other western authors fans of Anime.
Old 2018-10-07, 07:28   Link #26
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
That's kinda racist...
Not racist
Environment molds individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
I wasn't expecting realism but I wanted a twist to the formula because, eh, possibly different cultural background. This first episode felt generic japanese shounen. Still, it's only been one episode so I'm with you on this. Three episode rule-a go.
Yup
When a foreigner bring another cultural product into his, it tends to undergo transformation. Just like food.

I'm sure people are expecting a revolutionary hybrid product too?
Something like Lalin's Curse. That's one amazing webtoon.
Old 2018-10-07, 07:34   Link #27
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
You say that as if western fantasy always was super-rigorous about that kind of stuff. Either way, it's too early to tell. Source readers seem to think the story gets more interesting later on and after all what shounen show doesn't need a bit to pick up? So let's suspend judgement for a couple episodes.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:55   Link #28
RDNexus

In my opinion, EroTora seems to be usually yearning for groundbreaking stuff, being possibly fed-up with all the staple stories flooding the japanese animation scene.

But, unfortunately, there are many Anime Fans out there who create their own stories simply by following what they like while inserting their own original setting and characters instead of trying to incorporate potential western elements that could make a story more groundbreaking.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:06   Link #29
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Yup~

Quote:
You say that as if western fantasy always was super-rigorous about that kind of stuff. Either way, it's too early to tell. Source readers seem to think the story gets more interesting later on and after all what shounen show doesn't need a bit to pick up? So let's suspend judgement for a couple episodes.
I'm talking about the greatness of Cultural Hybrids

When Japanese writes about Cowboys | The results are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun
about Space Opera | The results are Crest of The Stars and Toward The Terra
Western Stories transformed into Epic Anime

I'd expect the other way around is true as well

Still waiting for more episodes to be surprised
Old 2018-10-07, 08:08   Link #30
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You say that as if western fantasy always was super-rigorous about that kind of stuff.
That's why I said wuhugm's expectations were kinda racist.

Quote:
Either way, it's too early to tell. Source readers seem to think the story gets more interesting later on and after all what shounen show doesn't need a bit to pick up? So let's suspend judgement for a couple episodes.
You're right, but the only reason I gave it a chance was that Guardian Enzo said it was the best premiere of the season. So I'm rather disappointed it's the least interesting show of all those I've tried so far.
Old 2018-10-07, 10:41   Link #31
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
^Yup~

I'm talking about the greatness of Cultural Hybrids

When Japanese writes about Cowboys | The results are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun
about Space Opera | The results are Crest of The Stars and Toward The Terra
Western Stories transformed into Epic Anime

I'd expect the other way around is true as well

Still waiting for more episodes to be surprised

But...these stories don't have staying power for long. This is a shonen title marketing to Japanese (prob majority) and French citizens. I wouldn't expect it to stray too far from what the Japanese readers want. In the end, anime is a marketing device for the manga. The author and publishers wants this to be another Naruto. One Piece and Black Clover sales-wise.
Old 2018-10-07, 10:56   Link #32
RDNexus

But, as far as I know, the story was originally created in France and then it caught the eye of Yusuke Murata, who then acted as it's godfather in Japan or something.
What I mean to say is that, as far as I know, no japanese publisher or editor pressed for the story to be of this specific genre, it was the author's intention all along.
Hence why some people are complaining about it following currently staple Anime conventions a bit too much instead of trying to pull some western freshness...
Old 2018-10-07, 11:45   Link #33
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
But, as far as I know, the story was originally created in France and then it caught the eye of Yusuke Murata, who then acted as it's godfather in Japan or something.
What I mean to say is that, as far as I know, no japanese publisher or editor pressed for the story to be of this specific genre, it was the author's intention all along.
Hence why some people are complaining about it following currently staple Anime conventions a bit too much instead of trying to pull some western freshness...
Western freshness may not be sellable in Japan. The title is being marketed as a shonen title. That means it has to do certain things for it to be sellable.

If Cowboy Bebop wasn't a regular on Cartoon Network, it would have no presence right now in the US imo.

I actually liked the first episode.
Old 2018-10-07, 13:21   Link #34
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
That's why I said wuhugm's expectations were kinda racist.
Well, I can get the idea that when you have a certain genre getting a bit stale due to simple imitation circlejerk, an injection of ideas from a different cultural background might revitalise it. I don't think that's racist. But the point is, with regards to this specific problem, western fantasy doesn't have a great track record either, so I wouldn't have expected a mash-up to fix it.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 13:31   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yes, exactly. If he'd just said he expected something a bit different from the standard, I'd have had no problem with it. But "more profound" or "more realistic"?
Old 2018-10-07, 17:25   Link #36
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was okay, but it will definitely have to do more to stand out. The most memorable shonen titles established really cool and creative magic systems with a lot of depth to them and/or unique settings that really made them stand out. Naruto had ninja/shinobi and its Jutsu-system. One Piece had pirates and its Devil Fruit. Fullmetal Alchemist had Alchemy and a military/steampunk setting. These were really creative well built settings that stood out right from the get go and hooked you in. Over time you'd find the setting so fascinating that you'd start imagining what kind of ability you'd like to have in a setting like that. In contrast Radiant hasn't establish much except sorcerers and magic. Not exactly imaginative

What it did establish was heart though. I sense there's definitely a coming of age element to this story judging by the MCs interactions with his teacher, and that's a good sign. Though to be honest, I can still remember the first episode of Naruto and how much more was accomplished by the end. It's still just the first episode though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 19:02   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Again, think back to the first episodes of stuff like H x H and Boku no Hero. Shounen have to follow a formula when they start out, it's only with the passage of a little time that the author starts to push the envelope. I don't see what it should be any different for a French mangaka, especially when he's clearly doing a homage to late 90's shounen fantasy.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:45   Link #38
alex_drian

Holy mother of the generic. You can't get more generic than this. This have to be the most tasteless thing that I have watched in a while for good or bad. Not good, not bad, is kinda there, is-fucking-nothing, I don't know if this improves later but I don't have the will to return for more. Dropped.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 14:23   Link #39
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Again, think back to the first episodes of stuff like H x H and Boku no Hero. Shounen have to follow a formula when they start out, it's only with the passage of a little time that the author starts to push the envelope. I don't see what it should be any different for a French mangaka, especially when he's clearly doing a homage to late 90's shounen fantasy.
BnHA showed from the get-go it had superheroes. And I don't remember if it was from the very first episode, but HxH showed it had cleverness in it. I don't know if they were "pushing the envelope", but at least they weren't the very top of the bell curve with a shouty dumb MC in a world that's magic but not too much.
Old 2018-10-08, 14:37   Link #40
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Btw, are the landmasses flying in this series? Like Granblue?

Why?