AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-07-15, 01:00   Link #41
TronDD
Team the box!

Finally got around to playing Crescendo. So far, I'm a little disappointed.

My first time through I ended up with a "bad" Kaho ending. It was still a happy ending but it was rather uneventful. My second time through, I ended up on the Yuka path and really wasn't interested in ending up with the whore just yet. The game tried everything it could to make me feel bad for her and want to "save" her or some crap. That turned into a "bad" ending too.

There really isn't much appeal to the girls in this game. Kaho is sort of...just there. Kyoko, too. But she gets a touching little flashback of her puking on herself. Oh, yeah, real attractive. Yuka is a ho. The nurse smokes (I guess, I'm being picky here, but she doesn't have any other traits). Then there is your sister (unrelated, of course). No one really gets any kind of introduction before you end up on their specific path. There is nothing to try for.

Even if the "good" stories end up being well done, as a game, I thing it'll end up at the bottom of my list below Private Nurse and Kana. It just isn't laid out well nor provide much appeal.

Well see if I change my mind after actually getting at least one complete story.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 01:35   Link #42
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Check out Seasons of the Sakura... unless you buy the JAST Collection version, the game will not work in WinXP...
You can play the old DOS version on XP with DOSBox now. The only hassle is properly setting up a save folder that the game will recognize. The DOSBox site explains it pretty well.

I like this game. Some of the story is pretty funny. Most of the girls are very cute. A couple seem to be based on St. Tail characters. The game does have that crummy old-school menu stuff, and you can get stuck looping around trying to get the game to move along - but you can usually skip pointless stuff like LOOK/LAKE, which is a big plus.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 02:22   Link #43
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I see this topic made a resurrection :P

Anyways, Crescendo is one of the few 'vanilla' content ero's that has an actual popularity behind it, and with good reason. Despite the mediocracy in the overall feel of some of the characters, they don't feel wrong, there were times in there that I fought my own thoughts on what option to choose because there were many situations in there that aren't so far in left field as many other ero titles.

Of course, these light-eros aren't for everyone and unfortunetly they are way to far and few between. We may get one good game a year where-as you can easily find one of those "OMG tentacle rape bondage fun!" games just screaming for attention. I don't know, occassionally I play one like Xchange which is pretty much just straight forward sex, but still, the story and how fairly consistantly Peach translated is what keeps me entertained...there's just something hilarious about being the 'lucky?' guy to get turned into a girl, not once, not twice, but now 3 times :P

Another game that I've recently been introduced to is Divi-Dead...so far it's one odd game, interesting tale so far, and from my understanding it gets pretty good on the horror/thriller aspect, at least the art style is very nice and pleasing to look at (not talking about the h-scenes, I've only recieved 2 and in those two the character I controlled was only a 'prop' of sorts in one...the other was a standard peep), a nice dark, gothic feel to it mostly.

After this I'm going to head back into the G-C vault of mine and check on Heart de Roommate, then leave G-C alone and maybe give another girl a chance in Casual Romance Club....They really need more actual emotionally-driven stories in these games that don't require the novel-style gameplay, Nocturnal Illusions was one of the first I played, the story was good, just didn't hold an emotional feel between the characters...I'm not really into these 'screw everyone in sight' games, I actually want them to have a reason to be doing it. :P
DarkCntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 22:21   Link #44
Aegis
生與死

Location: A place where it is not seen,it is not heard,just pure emptyness and beyond
yeh, Cresendo was a really good game...i like the story above all the Ero-games i have played.....6th ending was sad :/ ....anyways..recommend this game to alot of ppl
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 01:05   Link #45
Arwyn

Wow, I was surprised to see this back up on the top of the threads.

After trying some other games, I have to say Crescendo is still up there on my favorites list.

After I played through a couple of other games, I can see that there was a lot that Crescendo got right. Length actually wasnt bad, the storylines were good, and it had really good voice, and adequate music.

All in all, I would still recommend this one. Particularly to someone trying one of these kind of game for the first time.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 15:35   Link #46
TerryMathews

I have to say, out of all the endings, I think Yuka's good ending was my favorite. I don't think any of the characters needed a good and honest man to love them unconditionally as much as Yuka did.

Now what I find interesting though, is all of the flashbacks. If each one you get from each storyline is supposed to be true, Ayo is one fucked-up kid.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 19:08   Link #47
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMathews
I have to say, out of all the endings, I think Yuka's good ending was my favorite. I don't think any of the characters needed a good and honest man to love them unconditionally as much as Yuka did.

Now what I find interesting though, is all of the flashbacks. If each one you get from each storyline is supposed to be true, Ayo is one fucked-up kid.
The funny thing, I think everyone who's played Crescendo has said that Yuka's is by far one of the best ones. She's got such a troubled story and it shows that even the ones percieved as bad are really just misunderstood.
Old 2004-10-24, 20:21   Link #48
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
The funny thing, I think everyone who's played Crescendo has said that Yuka's is by far one of the best ones. She's got such a troubled story and it shows that even the ones percieved as bad are really just misunderstood.
Here's my thoughts on each character's story...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-24, 20:42   Link #49
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I've read through this thread and here is some perception that I have:

One person mentioned "the level of Crescendo was great, it evidently shows how crappy the other translated ero-games that we get"

Good comment.

Because to tell you the truth,

CRESCENDO wasn't even considered a "major hit" in Japan.

Yes, I've played it. It was a good story. But from the vast pool of other ero-games that I have played, CRESCENDO ranks in the B+ pile of ero-games.

I hope somehow this takes up into consideration that more good titles with a well-developed story reaches out to the English-speaking market to know what great titles that you are all missing out on...

Because if you thought CRESCENDO was great...I do feel sorry for what other brilliant titles that you are not getting.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 22:22   Link #50
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Yea, a lot of titles are still stuck on your island because our companies won't take a chance and localize more of the story-driven games. There's an already established market for the mindless sex games so of course they're gonna stick with it...

I just wish more titles would get translated, my grasp of Japanese isn't the greatest for translation purposes, and the text hook is just Bablefish remote, it kinda kills the mood of the story. :P
Old 2004-10-24, 23:15   Link #51
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
CRESCENDO wasn't even considered a "major hit" in Japan.

Yes, I've played it. It was a good story. But from the vast pool of other ero-games that I have played, CRESCENDO ranks in the B+ pile of ero-games.

I hope somehow this takes up into consideration that more good titles with a well-developed story reaches out to the English-speaking market to know what great titles that you are all missing out on...

Because if you thought CRESCENDO was great...I do feel sorry for what other brilliant titles that you are not getting.
Trust me, I completely realize that Crescendo isn't a A+ title - it just happens to be one of the best available in English. It's 1000% better than say X-Change 2, something I tried playing tonight.

Spoiler:

I'd pay $100 USD for a good, long game translated into English like KimiNozo.
Old 2004-10-25, 00:28   Link #52
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Getting over the Rape Bus part of the XChange series is probably the only issue I have with it...as a comedy title I enjoyed it. Just the random crap that happens is why I keep it around for random playing

As for KimiNozo, good luck...that's like getting MuvLuv finished
Old 2004-10-25, 04:49   Link #53
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMathews
I'd pay $100 USD for a good, long game translated into English like KimiNozo.
I'd pay $200, if the translation was high-quality. $200 for a great game that lasts longer than 4 of the ones G-Collections tend to release... sounds like a great deal to me. Less shipping costs, too.
Old 2004-10-25, 06:21   Link #54
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

You know, it kinda sucks since I paid almost $200 total for my KimiNozo 'pack' that I went and purchased
Old 2004-10-25, 07:38   Link #55
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

It's too bad, really. The average gamer has this mentality that a game should never cost more than a set price, say $50. Regardless of how much work went into the game, how good it is, and how long it lasts, it should never cross this line. This means that G-Collections can sell short, low-quality ero-games that people buy at $50 a piece, but if they translated a big, high-quality game that lasts 5 times longer, they couldn't charge even $150, because almost everyone would think "$150 for ONE game!? No ******* way!", instead of looking at the content you actually get for that money.

If customers didn't do that, and were willing to pay based on the actual work involved in translating each game (using current ero-games length/prices as a standard), the chance of seeing high-quality games would be much bigger. Longer doesn't necessarily have to equal better, but it's a starting point.

The other main problem is the Japanese companies' reluctancy to sell licenses. *Sigh*
Old 2004-10-25, 08:19   Link #56
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Well, looking at the CRC release...from my understanding it did fairly well in the Japanese market and it was natively bi-lingual with both voice and text, but alas it's release over here for $80 turned a lot of people off the idea of buying it.

I'm sure the Japanese companies are reluctant to sell licenses, it's more that the localizing companies are reluctant to try and get those licenses. Take G-C for example, they are really nothing more than a banded together group of fan translators. Which do you think they would do, push out the short and 'sweet' games that may take 3-4 days to translate and integrate the new script in, or the games that would take maybe 3-4 months to translate and reintegrate the scripts? They've been getting somewhat better though...Private Nurse's story is fairly long as is Heart de Roommate...but they aren't quite as drama-based as something like KimiNozo.

What confuses me the most is that there are plenty of reasons to release DC and Kanon considering the already established and well-known following those two have. With games like Kana, CRC, Crescendo, and such showing there is a market for a story-based title it is baffling as to why they cannot get these other games.

Oh well, just gotta hope that things change, otherwise I'm looking at shelling out a small fortune for imports...like I said, ~$200 for my KimiNozo package was pretty steep considering.
Old 2004-10-25, 09:01   Link #57
Arwyn

Wow, this thread came back from the dead!

kj1980,

Yeah, we know we arent getting the A-list titles here. Most of what we get is the low end sex/rape/fetish stuff. Yawn.

Like I said in the beginning, I used to thing these titles were all like that, and Crescendo was what changed my mind. I just wish we had the chance to see some of the real top end titles over there in translation as well. We see the animes based off of the games, and it really does get folks interested in playing the game.

I just fail to understand how someone hasnt latched onto this already.

Well, we can always hope.....
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 15:25   Link #58
Tacking

I like this game, it give you sad, happy and angry. D.O. do a good job of this game I wish to see more of this game come out.

I has a question to ask. Is there any different jap and eng version?
Tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:14   Link #59
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacking
I like this game, it give you sad, happy and angry. D.O. do a good job of this game I wish to see more of this game come out.

I has a question to ask. Is there any different jap and eng version?
Depends on whether you're talking about the Japanese DVD version or the CD version. The English Crescendo is basically the same as the Japanese CD version, except it also has the DVD version's voice acting included. The Japanese DVD version has additional scenarios, CGs and extras.
Old 2004-11-04, 13:43   Link #60
Tacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
Depends on whether you're talking about the Japanese DVD version or the CD version. The English Crescendo is basically the same as the Japanese CD version, except it also has the DVD version's voice acting included. The Japanese DVD version has additional scenarios, CGs and extras.
Oh ok thank. So did you beat it Japanese DVD version?
Tacking is offline   Reply With Quote