AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-07-31, 19:14   Link #41
Alchemist007
*Author

Male teacher MVP, it's important to have teachers that give a shit. Screw the bitch sensei though.
Old 2021-07-31, 21:57   Link #42
Kazu-kun

At the end, when Ai says Sarasa is "different." This was a mistranslation. What she actually says is that Sarasa is "special." This probably has to do with Sarasa's acting ability which she showed after they watched Romeo and Juliet.
Old 2021-07-31, 22:19   Link #43
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
At the end, when Ai says Sarasa is "different." This was a mistranslation. What she actually says is that Sarasa is "special." This probably has to do with Sarasa's acting ability which she showed after they watched Romeo and Juliet.
When I take a look at reaction videos, I sometimes see weird translations that are kinda understandable but stiill wrong, I just can't help but cringe thinking that the viewers could be getting the wrong impression because of that, and hope that the actual translated version they watched had it correct. (Not just limited to this show)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-01, 15:36   Link #44
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This 56 year-old man felt a great deal of sympathy for teenage girl Yamada in this episode. I've been singing in church choirs since the 70s, and in recent years have struggled with throat problems caused in part by acid reflux (in my case, due to genetics, not bulimia, but still). In fact, I'm wondering whether I'll be able to go back to it once the pandemic is over. So I would have been right there with voice teacher-sensei, and would have bought him a beer afterwards.

They put a lot of little details into this show. Yamada has calluses on her fingers from all the induced vomiting she's been doing. Also, was it just me, or has Ai's hair grown out a bit in the scenes after the time-skip? I was wondering how we would get to the image we see at the end of the OP. I guess we're taking it an inch at a time.

Lastly, I would have expected Ai to finally call Sarasa by her first name at the end of the episode, but alas, she still can't do it. An inch at a time, indeed.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 14:12   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I didn't understand why sensei tells Sarasa she has no future as an actor when it's obvious her performance was the strongest of the four.

Have had acid reflux since my thirties. Not fun. I think it was a side effect of taking corrosive anti-seizure meds at bedtime. Don't take them any more since I've had one seizure in the past twenty years.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 14:25   Link #46
Dop
Mmmm....

I think Sensei was right, because he deduced that Sarasa was just imitating a performance she'd seen (that blu-ray she'd borrowed), rather than acting giving her own performance.
He'd also seen the mimicry she displayed earlier as a clue, and was probably aware of the same performance Sarasa had watched.

Until she finds her own way of acting, she'll always be a pale imitation and never a star.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 15:36   Link #47
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Yep. That's exactly it. She's not yet acting! Four main clues:
  • Sarasa's mini performance on the way back from seeing Romeo and Juliet with her class. She stunned everyone by having memorized the lines and performance in just one sitting.
  • Also, her perfect impressions of her teachers. She was even able to improv lines while playing the part of her teacher.
  • But, during the two week period where they worked on their mini performances, Ai noted that Sarasa didn't really improve day by day. It was one giant leap at the end after she watched the filmed Tybalt.
  • The teacher noted that he was stunned, but his exact words were "Your impression was uncanny."
I really love this episode because of the flaws in the characters. Ai's is logical. As someone who stayed as far away from people as possible, she naturally has gaps in her education. And Sarasa is very talented, But the show has been secretly building up her talent in a specific direction that's now obvious once pointed out. It'll be interesting to see what Sarasa's specific hangup is. Something little happened before she started reading her script. Some kind of uneasiness or blockage.

Another thing to look out for is some possible clashes between the twins. Possibly jealousy based? The twin in Group E didn't take the part she wanted but her sister was thrilled with the part she got. Group E twin also maybe didn't want to practice in the same room as her sister. Maybe so the two groups wouldn't mess each other up, but maybe because she was jealous her sister got the role she wanted?
Old 2021-08-07, 15:53   Link #48
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

It was funny at times seeing Ai embarrassed, but I really enjoyed that she was doing her best to get her friend Sarasa a great birthday present.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-07, 16:52   Link #49
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I didn't understand why sensei tells Sarasa she has no future as an actor when it's obvious her performance was the strongest of the four.
Because this show tends to go for cheap dramatic moments. Obvious, the truth is simply that Sarasa is applying her talent the wrong way, but that doesn't mean she has no future as an actor. All the opposite, her talent is still legit, and gives her a huge advantage over everyone else if she finds a way to use it the right way.
Old 2021-08-08, 00:56   Link #50
Thor's Hammer

No one said that Sarasa has no future as an actor based on the subtitles available. What Andou said was that Sarasa will never be a top star if things continued the way they're going, and he's right because Sarasa is merely imitating others instead of truly acting and bringing her own spin to things.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-08, 00:59   Link #51
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
No one said that Sarasa has no future as an actor based on the subtitles available. What Andou said was that Sarasa will never be a top star if things continued the way they're going, and he's right because Sarasa is merely imitating others instead of truly acting and bringing her own spin to things.
The point is, he could have pointed out her problem without the "oh nooo, you'll never be TOPU that way" over dramatic nonsense.
Old 2021-08-08, 19:19   Link #52
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
And Sarasa is very talented, But the show has been secretly building up her talent in a specific direction that's now obvious once pointed out. It'll be interesting to see what Sarasa's specific hangup is. Something little happened before she started reading her script. Some kind of uneasiness or blockage.
The lead assumption would be her background in Kabuki. Unlike the others who have a lot of varied classical training, it's been hinted across the other episodes that Sarasa's training was exclusively in Kabuki theater, where women aren't allowed to perform, but she trained alongside her boyfriend from when they were both children.

Kabuki theater is similar to geiko training or specific martial arts forms. There's a single way to do things. Stage names are passed down along families or mentors, and carry the expectation of a specific acting style along with them, and even apply to specific roles.

Sarasa has no idea how to improvise or add her own take to a role.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 13:54   Link #53
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episode 7

Yep. Kabuki.

And another very good episode. As always, this show is a little low key. A little low budget. But that's alright, because it's telling an interesting story with multifaceted characters.
Old 2021-08-14, 23:49   Link #54
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
And another very good episode. As always, this show is a little low key. A little low budget. But that's alright, because it's telling an interesting story with multifaceted characters.
It uses its budget pretty well, as well as the limited 1-cour. As proof, it has gotten pretty popular in Japan despite not having the usual super-promotions you see with stuff like Kimetsu or Jujutsu Kaisen to fish in... "normal"? people. Not sure about the Western audience, but eh, who cares.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2021-08-15, 09:00   Link #55
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I have to say, I loved how this episode(7) told Sarasa's backstory through the eyes of Akiya. Really felt like that gave him relevance(outside being moral support for Sarasa through texts) and provided insight to who he was in comparison to how he is now. There was a lot of heart in many of the characters in it. Kou was still Kou, but Kaou had this nice grandfather appeal at first(and the end), but his 100% seriousness before his performance was also pretty cool. I'm also glad to see Sarasa's grandma being supportive to her(and Akiya), instead of being the one who traumatized her like I originally thought. Grandpa Ken being angry for that, yet still seeing the importance of letting Akiya stay as her friend(instead of denying her all contact with them) was also just really wholesome. The part where Akiya sees Sarasa's eyes and that she was crying, and also feeling ultimately responsible for what happened was also real touching.

Although it was briefly mentioned by Ai, they didn't play up the "he's a boyfriend" angle outside of that; just really good friends... or more than friends, less than lovers. The story showed what their relationship was instead of it being based in words. Wish more stories did it like that without all the bells and whistles, like here.

Unfortunately, its short-lived; it felt like they could have shown more about what they were doing during the summer break together, which Akiya at least gets to know Ai enough to go and get an extra ticket for her.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 12:19   Link #56
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Unfortunately, its short-lived; it felt like they could have shown more about what they were doing during the summer break together, which Akiya at least gets to know Ai enough to go and get an extra ticket for her.
Agreed, I've read that this episode covers an entire volume and it shows. It really feels like there should be more to this summer vacation than we've been shown.
Old 2021-08-15, 16:01   Link #57
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Agreed, I've read that this episode covers an entire volume and it shows. It really feels like there should be more to this summer vacation than we've been shown.
Wow, then that's terrible, condensing content like this. Maybe it explored Akiya and Sarasa's relationship(as friends) and that interfered with the agenda of pushing Ai and Sarasa together(which, is also as friends). A shame really, esp since 50% of the episode was a flashback.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-17, 14:46   Link #58
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
episode 1:

just 7 minutes into the episode, it's not my cup of tea.
if I'm watching an all girls school type of show, I prefer the show to be all girls (and maybe one giraffe. lol) like Revue Starlight. And not have a ton of guys like this show is doing.
....what.....why....WHY do you suddenly hate male characters around girls.... You were never this way before!
I think that Yuri-Crusader guy from MAL be tainting your good soul, my guy

Anyway, Revue Starlight is for men; this show is for girls; big shocker-girl audiences like male characters in their shows.

Sorry for sounding jerkish...but I seriously don't get the irrational hatred people have for characters of their own gender like....it's weird?

Last edited by Chiibi; 2021-08-17 at 15:13.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-17, 19:14   Link #59
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
this show is for girls
To be fair, Kageki Shoujo was originally from Jump-Kai, a seinen magazine. It later moved to Melody, a shoujo magazine.

Old 2021-08-18, 08:33   Link #60
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
....what.....why....WHY do you suddenly hate male characters around girls.... You were never this way before!
I think that Yuri-Crusader guy from MAL be tainting your good soul, my guy

Anyway, Revue Starlight is for men; this show is for girls; big shocker-girl audiences like male characters in their shows.

Sorry for sounding jerkish...but I seriously don't get the irrational hatred people have for characters of their own gender like....it's weird?
sorry for late reply, Animesuki does not have notification for quotes like mal. Did not know you quoted me, until I peeked into the thread.
haven't talked to yuri-crusader for months now, not influenced by him at all.

to answer..

1. did not know this show is for girls. Just went in and watched an episode. Realized it's not for me, so dropped.

2. I don't hate boys or grown men in anime. One of my favorite anime is Iruma-kun, there are 10 boys (Iruma included) and only 3 girls in his classroom - no problem with that, they're all good characters. And I ship Iruma and Ameri so hard, it's a normal het ship, not yuri.

however, it's simply my preference that if an anime is all girls school setting, then I like it to be Starlight or Love Live style with minimal or no boys.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2021-08-18 at 10:12.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote