AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online II - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 5 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 22.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 20.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 7.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-09-21, 19:38   Link #41
Friday
Im shy too...

is this the episode he finally loses????? or next one
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 20:27   Link #42
Jerseykid

Kirito's willpower will not allow him to lose
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 21:32   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I thought this was an excellent episode.

Largely due to Death Gun. He's a fantastic villain, way better than the last major villain Kirito went up against. He has a marvelous character design for a villain (equal parts Dr. Doom, Darth Vader, and Skeletor), and I really like how Death Gun is dominating the early fight with Kirito.

The stand-off and war of words between Kirito and Death Gun had excellent theatrical charm and a good sense of gravitas. Here's looking forward to the end of their fight.
Old 2014-09-22, 00:21   Link #44
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

Old 2014-09-22, 00:43   Link #45
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Why isn't he dual-wielding?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 00:49   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
If I remember correctly, that beam-sword was rather expensive. Perhaps he could only afford 1?
Old 2014-09-22, 03:12   Link #47
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
But beam swords are useless according to most GGO players, so it should be cheap.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 06:13   Link #48
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Kirito conquered a GM, so probably.
Old 2014-09-22, 07:04   Link #49
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
I honestly think it would be completely badass if after Kirito takes out DG and Sinon snipes him by surprise to take the win.
On the other hand can you picture the scene where Kirito, after killing DG, supposedly being on GGO and participating in BoB only to catch him, kills Sinon and takes the title while striking cute and sexy poses for his many male fans?

BTW, was it really smart for Kirito to tell DG that he knows everything about him and his accomplices? This is laughing coffin we are dealing with here, when you corner them they don't give up, they act even crazier and suicidal.

Faced with the prospect of being incarcerated and put to death, do you think the guy that is currently in Shino's room would simply leave rather than killing her to make Kazuto suffer?

Even if the discussion with DG and Kazuto wasn't picked up by the virtual camera, DG only needs to make a phone call once he's disconnected.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 09:55   Link #50
NTFTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
One lightsaber took half of the credits he got from the game, he couldn't get another one and still be able to buy armor and a gun.
NTFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 11:03   Link #51
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
But beam swords are useless according to most GGO players, so it should be cheap.
Key word here being "players," just because the players believe something is useless doesnt mean it actually is. The Beam Sword is a OHKO weapon, and very powerful in the right hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If I remember correctly, that beam-sword was rather expensive. Perhaps he could only afford 1?
It costs 300,000 I think credits I think.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 11:15   Link #52
dotdotslash

I think Kirito had won 300k in the NPC contest, and the sword cost him half of that, so 150k. He spent the remainder on the rest of his equipment. He comments (at least in the LN) that while Sinon doesn't see the value in the photon sword, if the game sets such a high price it would seem to have some value. It does seem rather odd that no one else seems to have worked out that it seems to be a great close quarters weapon.
dotdotslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 11:57   Link #53
eiyuuou

As Kouken is a short ranged weapon, skilled players like Kirito will require some form of defense/tactic to overcome the range issue while an average player would be ridden with holes by the time they covered the distance. A good example is the cheating game where many players failed to dodge the projectile shots.
Since the Kouken is a light sabre imitation, it probably has a usage duration as well.

To quote Starwars, "This was the formal weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. More skill than simple sight was required for its use. An elegant weapon. It was a symbol as well. Anyone can use a blaster or a fusioncutter—but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone a cut above the ordinary." "
Old 2014-09-23, 07:00   Link #54
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well in Star Wars light sabers are only really useful to Jedi, Siths and a few others.

The short range of the weapon is an issue that nobody would want to deal with and that's why you'll never see Han Solo, Chewbecca, Boba Fett or any Storm Trooper with one.

In the hand of people who can use the force is however not just a weapon but a perfect defensive tool, because they can foresee incoming bullets and lasers.

Skill, ability and training, that wouldn't cut it, not for a human at least. You need to actually have that sixth sense.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 08:24   Link #55
dotdotslash

Yeah, the use of the "light saber" as a primary weapon depends on the user having a sixth sense. To me this is something of an annoyingly distraction coming from seemingly no where as far as suspension of disbelief. The desire seems to have been to compress all the action into a few days that does kind of force Kirito's character to be "OP" in a couple different ways, as opposed to say making him more mildly OP and giving the plot more time to develop (skip over the boring bits as needed).
dotdotslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 09:03   Link #56
Gravitas Free Zone

The question then becomes... are you willing to overlook Kirito's crazy overpoweredness in this arc just so you can watch someone with Jedi powers and a lightsaber be blatantly dropped into an anime?

...because he is kinda cool that way.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 22:15   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

I'm generally fine with Kirito being "overpowered" if the antagonist/villain is nonetheless able to give him a good, compelling challenge. And Death Gun is definitely doing that right now.

Is Superman overpowered? In a vacuum, sure. But put him up against Brainiac, General Zod, or Darkseid, and that tends to change in a hurry. Whether or not a protagonist is truly "overpowered" depends heavily on how much of a threat the antagonist(s) can pose to the protagonist.

With this in mind, SAO shows just how important a high quality antagonist is to narratives/shows of this type. Death Gun and Sinon are just about the entire reasons why SAO season 2 has been way better than the post-Aincard section of Season 1.
Old 2014-09-24, 01:07   Link #58
Gravitas Free Zone

Not disagreeing with you there. I'm just commenting on how his GGO setup makes him into a Jedi Knight with the serial numbers filed off.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 14:44   Link #59
iklone
Ninja

TBH, this episode was a notch above the previous few. There was action, towards the end at least, and a few interesting plot/game points were unveiled. Although I generally dislike the constant cliff hanger endings, this episode did set up the final battle for (hopefully) next episode.

Also, anyone have any ideas on what/if Asuna is going to do anything? Or was her going to Kirito in the hospital place just an excuse to animate a few scenes of Asuna?
iklone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 16:57   Link #60
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by iklone View Post
Also, anyone have any ideas on what/if Asuna is going to do anything? Or was her going to Kirito in the hospital place just an excuse to animate a few scenes of Asuna?
I think she is there to save Kirito like Kirito saved her at the end of the ALO arc. I seriously think the nurse is a LC member, she got way to much screen time when Kirito started this dive, the fact she is watching the match makes me suspicious since the LC members have to watch it to see the cue DG gives to kill somebody in the real world, plus working in a hospital gives her access to the drugs needed to kill someone
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote