Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2016-08-14, 11:43   Link #7661
Jack
The Most Villainous Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
For a level 30ish guy like Nigan, everything above level 45 is "unimaginably powerful".
20-ish.

Quote:
He would describe a level 60 spell the same way he would a level 90 spell.
Precisely.

Quote:
It's not like he can give us an objective view of the situation...
Well, no, but in cases like these you also have to factor in that the author is speaking through the text...
Old 2016-08-16, 17:11   Link #7662
Breimn

vol 11 cover is out! And iit looks like it may go as many expected after looking at map.
Dragon is on cover.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 00:42   Link #7663
Waxman

Going by the looks that dragon feels like the frost dragons that were mentioned back in Vol. 2 and it seems that it will try to put it's best Smaug face.
I still want an update about Enri and the goes status.
Waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-18, 10:28   Link #7664
Jack
The Most Villainous Name

Yep, looks like more fodder that thinks it's king of the world. Always exciting to see them meet the real thing, though.
Old 2016-08-18, 21:25   Link #7665
Waxman

I checked the images that surfaced, i more or less can imagine who's the dwarf, i would like if that dragon join Nazarick, maybe as Pandora's Actor's pet but i can see that he will end in Demiurge's farm to skin him so they can make better scrolls.
But what's up with that yeti-looking guy?
Waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 00:45   Link #7666
Jorna

Hmmm the cover reminds me of Fafnir of Norse mythology, we have dwarves, city of dwarves, hordes of gold and a greedy dragon, Overlord gets a lot of inspiration from Norse myth not surprised that the author used this as part of the story.

Lol I wonder how many people would say that this looks like a reap off of the hobbits XD
Jorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 02:18   Link #7667
Breimn

Translations from 4ch.
Quote:
Volume 11 - broadening the influence of the Sorcerous Kingdom! Ainz heads for the kingdom of the little men of the mountains (Dwarves) in search of lost rune magic. He takes Aura and Shalltear with him on his journey to the Dwarven Kingdom, There, he discovers that the demihumans called Kuagoa (?) are mounting an attack on them. In order for Ainz to recruit runesmiths to the Sorcerous Kingdom, he pledges to take back the Dwarven Capital. However, in addition to the Kuagoa, there is the mightiest species of the Azellisia Mountain Range - Frost Dragons. Volume 11 narrates the unveiling of the Sorcerous Kingdom's glorious might in a distant land.
The Kuagoa should be those wease likel things.
Old 2016-08-28, 08:59   Link #7668
Breimn

So drama cd that comes out with vol 6 manga is going to be aboutbworld domination?
Or is it another extra?

the back cover announcement of the sixth Makitoku Soban have become, will be released December 26, in a drama CD "world domination notebook" like a stick.

「オーバーロード」5巻【AA】の、ナオキさんの感想は『内容はシャルティア戦の結着からTVアニメにはな い部分で湖に住むリザードマンの一族を従属させる為、攻略を開始するところまで。この巻から原作しかない部 分に突入しているが深山フギンの作画は安心して読んでいられる』などで、裏表紙は第6巻特装版の告知になっ ていて、12月26日発売予定でドラマCDと"世界征服手帳"が付くみたい。
Old 2016-09-06, 04:01   Link #7669
Jorna

Just a random question.

I was invited to play D&D with a couple of coworkers the few days ago (never played before) so to prepare just went online and read on stuff, then I just stumbled on this.
Spoiler for Hmmm!:

Why is Ainz neutral evil as to what I've read isn't neutral evil selfish and Ainz is more censored for the NPC than himself?
Jorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-06, 14:44   Link #7670
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorna View Post
Just a random question.

I was invited to play D&D with a couple of coworkers the few days ago (never played before) so to prepare just went online and read on stuff, then I just stumbled on this.
Spoiler for Hmmm!:

Why is Ainz neutral evil as to what I've read isn't neutral evil selfish and Ainz is more concern for the NPC than himself?
that is what make him selfish. He is more concern his own "family" to the exclusion of everything else.

NE isn't just a narcissist but also included ppl who don't care about anything/anyone besides the little group they belong to.

As for the poster, i would put Climb as NG.
Old 2016-09-07, 03:07   Link #7671
J4n1

In a rather simplistic explanation for Ainz's alignment.
Ainz is neither all that rebellious against authority (chaotic), nor is he beholden to ideology, philosophy or other ruleset (lawfull).
Therefore he is neutral.
Ainz is not going to go out of his way to help people (good), and heis perfectly willing to harm others for his own benefit (evil).
So he is evil.
Neutral Evil to be exact.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-08, 22:46   Link #7672
XFire
150% done

Of course, the people of Nazarick would kill anyone who dared suggest Ainz of all people could be classified in good and evil.
Old 2016-09-08, 23:43   Link #7673
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Of course, the people of Nazarick would kill anyone who dared suggest Ainz of all people could be classified in good and evil.
Or they would demand that Ainz be classified as both supreme good, and supreme evil.
Old 2016-09-09, 06:41   Link #7674
Lenox

After reading most of the volumes I feel like I like the idea of the story rather than the story itself. Watching Ainz and the guardians who are virtually gods act in such roundabout ways isn't all that enjoyable to be honest and reading about the cruel acts they commit to sometimes innocent people gets down right depressing at times anyone else feel the same?
Lenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-09, 12:23   Link #7675
Namorax

I dunno.

Being Neutral means that one is capable of heroic/good deeds and villainous/bad deeds at the same time. In D&D, Druids are usually the one class that is always "neutral", just like nature. Shit happens, and just as Nature can give to you via bountiful harvests, it can just as well take from you via natural catastrophes or diseases.

Ainz more or less acts like a force of nature. If his "role" as the "Ruler" of Nazarick didn't require it, he would be just as content to leave the silly little humans alone as long as they leave him alone.
IIRC, being "evil" in a D&D setting means that a character is somewhat aware that what he/she/it is doing is considered "evil". Being Evil means doing evil for the sake of evil. All the (evil) D&D villains I remember encountering in various games and campaigns aren't "evil" because their actions happen to be "morally wrong". They did their evil deeds because they wanted to do them, usually in the pursuit of a random goal. I may have just a small, probably biased sample to compare with, but I think it still says something...

If I were to tell the creator of that poster something... it would be that there is a better (or even perfect) candidate for the position of "Neutral":
Satoru Suzuki

What people apparently forget is that Ainz/Momonga is just as "real" as Momon.
Both are personas created by "Satoru Suzuki", with one sitting on the "good" end of the spectrum and the other on the "evil" end. But in the end, both are still Satoru Suzuki at their roots.
If Ainz and Momon are basically the same person, how can one be "good" and the other "evil"? If Ainz is Evil, why did he save a random villager girl? If Momon is Good, why did he murder his fellow adventurers in cold blood, like Igvarge?
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-09, 13:18   Link #7676
J4n1

I don't think being Evil in DND requires anykind of awareness of the evilness of the act, it just means your moral framework (or lack thereof) as well as mental framework (lack of empathy, willingness to harm others, etc...) are going to conform to one universal ruleset (which is largely set by the GM and players).
Because, in DnD, good and evil are not opinions, they are forces of nature as demonstrable as gravity or magnetism.

I'd say that Ainz is, ultimately, evil.
But he is not cruel, psychotic or even all that greedy.
And he is quite sociable, even starving for companionship that does not worship him as a god.
And he is therefore not a real danger to anyone not opposing his plans.
Old 2016-09-10, 03:20   Link #7677
Namorax

But he is only "evil" because he thinks he has to act evil, and/or because the others interpret his action in the worst possible ways. Just think of the last volume, where he stumbled upon the Emperor's and the ambassador's secret meeting.

Ainz has a rather half-assed way of being evil.
I don't want to argue that the various fates he forced upon the "heroes" are not evil deeds... my problem is mainly that Ainz is just a mask/persona, just like Momon.
Can we just take part of a person and say "Let's ignore all other aspects and call him evil"?

Ainz isn't really "real". He is a role played by the man who really loved playing this one game. Even if that person is slowly consumed by the Ainz persona, that person is still the original maincharacter. Everytime I see someone call Ainz Evil, it feels like someone points at an MMO-Player Character and says "this person is evil". But the character itself is just an avatar, with no free will of its own.

At the end, Satoru is the MC, not Ainz. Ainz is the role Satoru assumed and we were able to see how Ainz started to become more and more dominant, how the "role" consumes the actor.
At least, that's how I see it. Satoru roleplays Ainz because he believes that is what he has to do to survive. But Satoru is also unsatisfied with being Ainz since he isn't really "evil", which is why Momon was created as a means to balance things out.
Satoru acts in both evil and good ways, hence he is neutral.
He doesn't follow a philosophy, specific rules or any kind of cause, so he is True Neutral.

IMO, calling Ainz "evil" is the same as calling Satoru and Momon "evil". All three are the same person. Ainz can basically be seen as the "devil" on Satoru's shoulder, with Momon being the "angel". They can be seen as expressions of a persons "good" and "evil" urges.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 03:37   Link #7678
J4n1

It does not matter why he is evil, he still is evil.
I don't need to ignore any aspect of him to call him evil, because i don't think "good" or "evil" are things that completely define a person, they are, at best, a minor descriptive labels of aspects of their behaviour.

Evil person can be quite affable, merciful and generous, even loving, while still remaining evil.
Ainz is affably evil, and something of an anti-villain, with shades of noble demon thrown in the mix.

edit-
I'd peg Ainz as somewhere between lawful evil and neutral evil (he is pretty big on rules and organization, even though he does not have clearly expressed philosophy or creed), but close to edge to true/lawful neutral so he could quite easily shift from evil to neutral depending on how things go in future.
Old 2016-09-10, 11:03   Link #7679
AkuGelap
Old family guy

in this world. good person or evil person just consept of majority based on learned moral from their ancestor.human originally evil based. dont believe me?look at toodler that start walking.they will kill small insect or small animal with smile on their face.after they become bigger,that time they learn moral based what they found from their parent and surounding.that time the culture and faith will make set of law that he/she will follow for entire live.i dont mean law of country. i mean law of what mean good or evil for them.for example, if his surounding think that eating dog meat is evil,he will think the same but for other ppl in other place think eating dog meat is good,he cant comdemn them evil coz for them it not evil to eat dog.all religion have set of law that guide his ppl to make good thing, but as u can see in history until now ,ppl will use religion for their purpose to comdemn other ppl evil n make bad thing their do is good.for example in my place most muslim will get mad if other eat pork infront of them but they dont think about it when they eat beef infront hindu ppl.so for me consept good and evil just majority law at that place. so Ainz not evil or good. he just human.if u become a leader of country , u will face same problem like Ainz. in this world , we cant take daylight without shadow,n cant embrace night without moonlight.
Most brave boy is My Son
Most cute girl is My Daughter
AkuGelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 12:45   Link #7680
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuGelap View Post
in this world. good person or evil person just consept of majority based on learned moral from their ancestor.human originally evil based. dont believe me?look at toodler that start walking.they will kill small insect or small animal with smile on their face.after they become bigger,that time they learn moral based what they found from their parent and surounding.that time the culture and faith will make set of law that he/she will follow for entire live.i dont mean law of country. i mean law of what mean good or evil for them.for example, if his surounding think that eating dog meat is evil,he will think the same but for other ppl in other place think eating dog meat is good,he cant comdemn them evil coz for them it not evil to eat dog.all religion have set of law that guide his ppl to make good thing, but as u can see in history until now ,ppl will use religion for their purpose to comdemn other ppl evil n make bad thing their do is good.for example in my place most muslim will get mad if other eat pork infront of them but they dont think about it when they eat beef infront hindu ppl.so for me consept good and evil just majority law at that place. so Ainz not evil or good. he just human.if u become a leader of country , u will face same problem like Ainz. in this world , we cant take daylight without shadow,n cant embrace night without moonlight.
I would not call humans "originally evil". It is more up to what they know.
Let's just say that when you walk you steps affect the environment in scope of your own knowledge

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination