Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-08-18, 10:59   Link #61
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
To be fair, Kageki Shoujo was originally from Jump-Kai, a seinen magazine. It later moved to Melody, a shoujo magazine.
You're right; though if you watch the opening credits (and you understand Japanese), it says something about "Melody" magazine. I did a double-take because that didn't sound like seinen title to me. It in fact wasn't.

So while Livechart lists the anime as "seinen", that is definitely false if the anime credits themselves are saying "Based on the manga from Melody".

Quote:
however, it's simply my preference that if an anime is all girls school setting, then I like it to be Starlight or Love Live style with minimal or no boys.
Why though?
Old 2021-08-18, 11:27   Link #62
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Why though?
the reason is already subtly answered in your previous post.

quoted for reference.

Quote:
Anyway, Revue Starlight is for men;
I dived into Starlight easily because it is for men.

and Kageki Shoujo is made for girls. Which is why I ditched this show right away when realized it's not like Starlight. to explain a bit further, during these hard times of corona virus (where a lot of real life problems arise), I prefer watching cheerful positive anime like Love Live Superstar to lighten up the mood and give me hope for the next day... Kageki Shoujo gives edgy drama that I don't really like to see right now, so this anime rubbed me the wrong way right from the start.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2021-08-18 at 11:42.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-18, 11:51   Link #63
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
... Kageki Shoujo gives edgy drama that I don't really like to see right now, so this anime rubbed me the wrong way right from the start.
That is a valid answer...I don't think you're wrong about that.
Old 2021-08-19, 21:20   Link #64
Chiibi

Eps 3-4

Oh...oh gawd. Squick.

So this is why Ai hates men...geeze, this poor girl. Her backstory truly gives you a sickening feeling. BAD TOUCH!

I'm really glad her uncle was there for her. If he hadn't put that lock on her door, she would have been
Spoiler:

Sarasa is still the most likable female character...she's a bit airheaded and childish but very kind obviously means well so I hope others follow her example.
(Also I LOVE her cotton-candy hair esp in the morning. FLOOF. xD)

Scene with Otaku man was heartwarming....see, otaku aren't always bad people afterall!

All in all, this is a good show with solid drama but certainly NOT light-hearted....so I can see why others have dropped it. I like this kinda stuff though. I like stories where characters reach out to others and help them through trauma and pain etc. These kind of stories are more memorable than just straight up fluff where there are no actual problems.
Old 2021-08-20, 01:12   Link #65
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Sarasa is still the most likable female character...she's a bit airheaded and childish but very kind obviously means well so I hope others follow her example.
I love the way she just kind of barrels through everything that's in front of her. But I like Ai, too. Underneath the traumatized part of her lurks someone who's as much of a goof, just in a different way. They are a good match for each other.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-21, 11:58   Link #66
AntonKutovoi

OK, that ep. 8 ending theme, though.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-21, 13:58   Link #67
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episdoe 8

Another low key but great episode. Wholesome. Realistic. With just a nice little splash of drama. I feel so proud for Kaoru but also sad for her at the same time. The series is shaping up great and it looks like it'll continue these backstories with the twins next week. I do worry a little that it's not leaving a lot of time for the girls to actually be on the stage.

Oh, and yes, the EDs are changing week to week! I didn't notice before, but having Kaoru front and center this week had me look back. There's little differences. Especially who is looking up the staircase at the end!

Last edited by Ragashingo; 2021-08-31 at 15:57.
Ragashingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-21, 15:49   Link #68
Kazu-kun

I really liked what they did with the ending. I hope it will keep changing when the other girls get focused on.

As for Kaoru, this episode helped me understand her better, and I actually started rooting for her now.
Old 2021-08-21, 18:21   Link #69
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
OK, that ep. 8 ending theme, though.
Taichi You, doing a great solo

Since Hanazawa isn't known to be a great singer, people are wondering what her song will turn out like. However, since she isn't one of the main characters, I think we might just additionally get a song for the twins and that is it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-23, 12:20   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not a fan of her singing either, but Hanazawa did release five albums between 2013 and 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana_Hanazawa#Discography

The producers of Shin Sekai Yori sadly replaced the remarkable ED Wareta Ringo at the halfway point with a song by Kanazawa. The anime aired at the time of the release of her first album, "Claire." Probably the result of machinations within the production committee (cf: https://www.hidive.com/stream/shirobako/s01e014).
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 14:29   Link #71
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episode 9

Chika and Chiaki get their story fleshed out. From the very beginning we knew that one of them held herself back in the hopes that they could join together. Back then, I figured it was just minor flavor for how all the various girls got in. But then they look back and show how painful a moment it was for one twin to make it and the other to not. The sisterly love there, to turn down admission for the hope of a slim chance the next year was unexpectedly powerful.

I do hope we get to see our class on stage by the end. That little pose a few of them did with the older troupe member gave me a little hope that we will. Also, I want to see Sarasa (and maybe Ai?) dominate at the track and field games.

Oh, and another great ED! Having Chika and Chiaki sing a duet together and stand at the bottom of the stairs together was great! Also, the creditless versions of the EDs are being officially put up on YouTube:

Sarasa and Ai
Sawa and Ayako
Kaoru
Chika and Chiaki
Old 2021-09-03, 21:03   Link #72
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Kageki Shojo!! is getting an English dub! Of note, AmaLee, who has done many great English OP/ED covers of various series, will be playing Kaoru.
Old 2021-09-04, 19:30   Link #73
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Fun episode, Sei is a really nice person throughout this series.

I had a feeling that woman was the Oscar that Sarasa was talking about, it was a good tease last episode.

Ai was very popular with the girls in the crowd when she was taking those flags out, I think Ai could play either male or female roles, she would get over big time as a Juliet, but I think the female fans would go absolutely wild if she played male roles.

I really like Ai and her long hair, very pretty, very beautiful.

Last edited by Lukes YGO & WS on YT; 2021-09-04 at 23:01. Reason: Adding more.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-05, 01:06   Link #74
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

My grandmother was 5'10", the same height as Sarasa. I was her first grandchild, born on her birthday, and that gave us a special bond - one that ended way too soon, as she passed when I was only 14. She spent her teenage years on the Nebraska prairie instead of at a fancy school like Kouka, and of course I wasn't around to know her back then, but even so, I think my viewing of Sarasa's antics is enhanced by the memories I do have. My grandmother could be loud like Sarasa, too.

Speaking of Sarasa's antics, I never would have thought of staying on the ground and letting the top star look gracious by helping me up. That was inspired.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-11, 21:26   Link #75
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Ai saying that not knowing what love is and how to produce it is not surprising.

He Mother never cared about her since forever.

Other than Taichi, Sarasa is the only other one to show Ai true warmth and kindness, and Ai used that as her motivation and fuel to do such a wonderful performance.

It will definitely take Ai a long time to be a truly happy human being again, but it's a good start, we will definitely see more of this in the future.

Last edited by Lukes YGO & WS on YT; 2021-09-17 at 18:08. Reason: Added more.
Old 2021-09-12, 00:14   Link #76
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The previous episode got be a bit worried because it really, really did not move, so I'm glad it got back on its feet.
And dang, Ai's hair has reached its final form. I think? Maybe even a bit longer?

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2021-09-18, 15:50   Link #77
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Aya is an amazing singer, that was great to watch her in action, and also the interaction with Ai calling her a worthy rival.

Another very good backstory for her as well, normally I thought it was the boy the gets friendzoned but anyway, there was also the possibility of her friend confessing to her or just playing around.

I think Aya with long hair is very beautiful, I understand why she has that current hairstyle which she explained herself in a previous episode, but I would like to see the long hair version of her again one day.

I always like seeing more of Sarasa's past as well, the boyfriend/girlfriend talk at the aquarium was good.

Now I am looking forward to see her try Tybalt one more time, I also like the twist of having Andou himself play Romeo, it will be great to watch.
Old 2021-09-18, 18:58   Link #78
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Yep, another good episode. I was a little sad we didn’t get more Kaoru, but I suppose that’s ok. She got a whole episode to herself.

I can’t wait to see Sarasa’s Tybalt. I wonder what her approach will be? Silly? Energetic? Kabuki??

Next episode is the last, right? Any hope for a second season? It’d kinda be a shame if we only see their first year.
Old 2021-09-18, 19:27   Link #79
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Aya's song gave me Les Miserables feels

Old 2021-09-18, 20:33   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
I can’t wait to see Sarasa’s Tybalt. I wonder what her approach will be? Silly? Energetic? Kabuki?
If you try to portray an abstract feeling or mood like that, your acting is gonna suck. You've gotta draw from your own life experience to try internalize the character's feelings. That's not the only method to acting, of course, but it's the one that works best for newbies. And you see it here with both AI and Aya. AI didn't know how it feels to be in love and Aya didn't know how it feels to be loved, but they found similar experiences they could draw from.

Tybalt is someone whose every action is driven by the frustration of harbouring a secret unrequited love and having to watch how someone else takes the girl he loves. He's driven by jealousy and anger. For Sarasa to be able to portray her own Tybalt, she has to find in herself similar feelings of jealousy and frustration she can draw from. And she already found it.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2021-09-18 at 21:06.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote