Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-26, 03:00   Link #1041
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty
In the end I have to agree with the discussion from before that there should be a restriction on the amount of characters from the same series to compete in one tournament, Saki's case is really off-putting and does not encourage other series' growth. And then if KanColle is any strong next year, it would be a disaster. Also there should be a ban on champion series not to compete in at least 2 years after they win it all, but could make exceptions if there are new contestants to the tournament from the same series.
Problem is, Saimoe is already drowning in all sorts of rules and regulations. More of those will just alienate the fanbases and reduce the number of voters even further.
Old 2014-10-26, 03:11   Link #1042
Team Rocket Elite

Characters should advance based on merit not because everyone stronger than them was removed from the tournament. If a character wants to take a Top 32 spot from a Saki character, they should have to earn that spot by beating the Saki character. If you want to claim the title of number one during a year, it should be because everyone else was eliminated through the tournament not because the Puella Magi were banned for being too strong.
Old 2014-10-26, 03:35   Link #1043
MartianMage

Well yeah they need to win by their own merit but a series being able to bring as many participants like Saki is absurd. IMO JAST Saki is the prime example of people voting for it simply because of the series and not the character themselves.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2014-10-26, 03:48   Link #1044
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

I have no problem with top-tier Saki characters being strong, but weaker Saki characters who have a lot less screen time and importance than those strong characters yet keep winning against other series just because they're from Saki is what's broken to me and discouraging towards new competitors, which also made more voters lost interest and left.

And over-dominant series (directly aimed at Saki and Madoka Magica) are what people have been complaining since 2ch put restrictions of gaijin votes as what butchers the tournament's excitement. Since that point on we can't see really see anyone else besides them taking the top spot of Saimoe again. One of the good things from J-Saimoe (even before "gaijin's influence") is how they promoted newcomer series each year, and this aspect has severely dinimished under the existence of long-time over-dominance. Look at how at the start of the tournament this year there are different preliminary groups for newcomers and veterans, and now we only have 3 newcomers surviving. If the staff truly cares about this problem (judging on the new changes to the tournament they try to make at the start, they do care), either open to let everyone play again (which I doubt they will), or more brutal methods are conducted to keep those series in check.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2014-10-26, 07:04   Link #1045
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Perhaps J-SaiMoe should do something similar to Nova/Stella in ISML.

Break down blocks and competitions to ensure that half of the final 32 are "veterans", and the other half are "newcomers".
Old 2014-10-26, 07:34   Link #1046
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

How would that solve the problem? It would just result in 16 sakis and 16 newcomers.
Old 2014-10-26, 07:43   Link #1047
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
How would that solve the problem? It would just result in 16 sakis and 16 newcomers.
No it wouldn't. I'm almost positive that the 5 main Puella Magi would make up 5 of the 16 "veterans". That knocks Saki down to 11 at most. And it may well be less than 11 due to some other strong veterans like Railgun.
Old 2014-10-26, 08:59   Link #1048
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

^ I don't think MadoMagi will show up again for at least the next 2 years because up until now no new anime material has been announced, and Railgun also, but Saki would show up again in 2016.

And I personally do not want any more over-dominant factions like Saki and MadoMagi to show up in next year, because I want to see how a J-Saimoe without them would truly play out in current circumstances.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Old 2014-10-26, 09:39   Link #1049
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
^ I don't think MadoMagi will show up again for at least the next 2 years because up until now no new anime material has been announced, and Railgun also, but Saki would show up again in 2016.
Well sure, but by then KanColle will also be a "veteran" (at least if you limited "newcomers" to mean "very first year of competing in J-SaiMoe").

My point was that if a Nova/Stella sort of system was going on right now in J-SaiMoe, it would leave Saki with a maximum of 11 of the 32 finalists, due to the PMMM impact alone.

And in the future, I doubt Saki would ever get all 16 veteran spots. With any luck at all, there'd be at least one other strong veteran group/contestants involved, even if PMMM isn't involved.
Old 2014-10-26, 14:05   Link #1050
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Well yeah they need to win by their own merit but a series being able to bring as many participants like Saki is absurd. IMO JAST Saki is the prime example of people voting for it simply because of the series and not the character themselves.
I'd say the exact opposite. Since they have so many characters, they cover the entire spectrum of character strength. They have strong characters, medium strength characters and weak characters. There is no guarantee of strength just because you're a Saki character. A prime example of this is Someya Mako. She is a member of the main character team and is among the upper tier for total screentime. She can't even make the main bracket since her characters isn't popular.

Quote:
I have no problem with top-tier Saki characters being strong, but weaker Saki characters who have a lot less screen time and importance than those strong characters yet keep winning against other series just because they're from Saki is what's broken to me and discouraging towards new competitors, which also made more voters lost interest and left.
Just about every Saki character that made Round 2 isn't a minor character. The only real exception is Yumeno Maho who has really weak opponents in Round 1. I guess there's also Tsujigaito Satoha who will be important later but not at the current point in the anime. Voting based on non-anime material is a different issue, though.
Old 2014-10-26, 14:45   Link #1051
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Images
Corrected Brackets
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A good part of Team Saki's strength comes from most of the competition being fairly weak. The same also applies to Team Madoka as well. Excluding Saki, Madoka, and Railgun, only a tiny fraction of characters in the tournament this year are someone who would be remembered next year.
Old 2014-10-27, 01:13   Link #1052
FractalFusion

Quote:
Look at how at the start of the tournament this year there are different preliminary groups for newcomers and veterans, and now we only have 3 newcomers surviving.
There are actually 5 newcomers left right now. Chitoge, Alice, Karen, Sharo and Chino.

Reminder that the draw for the playoff round (FL) is tomorrow.
Old 2014-10-27, 10:55   Link #1053
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No it wouldn't. I'm almost positive that the 5 main Puella Magi would make up 5 of the 16 "veterans". That knocks Saki down to 11 at most. And it may well be less than 11 due to some other strong veterans like Railgun.
Even if that were the case, there is still everything wrong with this. Half of the top32 would still be from only 2 series and the winner would undeniably be one of them too. Let's face it, JSaimoe has degenerated into a 2ch popularity contest and the overwhelming majority of these voters are either in the PMMM or Saki block. The time when JSaimoe was something worth actively following has passed very long ago, but there will be always people who will defend the tournament until death.
Old 2014-10-27, 11:15   Link #1054
FractalFusion

Draw (schedule/groups) for playoff round:
http://pastebin.com/UhJEYMeu

Spoiler for Draw for playoff round:

Last edited by FractalFusion; 2014-10-27 at 14:49.
Old 2014-10-27, 11:46   Link #1055
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Split votes everywhere, Saki is the series who suffers the most out of this kind of match. It's inevitable when you're making half the competitors though.

But split vote between Homura and Sayaka? Funny that we already had the Rebellion movie foreshadowing this. Thing is, who will the MadoMagi choose to get the job done this time? I don't think they could try to go for 1st and 2nd finishers if that Madoka-Homura-Ayase match last year is any indication, and Saki has their chance to take at least one magical girl down in the hand of Satoha, even when she is not among the strongest Saki reps.

Same goes to Saki, since they got pretty strong opponents at this point.

Sad for me that Yui might be the one who will be throw under the bus right after she climbed back up from repechage .
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Last edited by BloodyKitty; 2014-10-27 at 12:14.
Old 2014-10-27, 12:17   Link #1056
Hachiko
The Akita

Odds have been posted on my blog, as per usual.
Old 2014-10-27, 12:41   Link #1057
hinakatbklyn

Hmmm..... with only one vote per group, I can see a bunch of splt voting.

Spoiler for Top 32 Estimated Predictions:
Old 2014-10-27, 16:19   Link #1058
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

If the pairings of the final 32 (which pretty much sets things up for a possible sweet 16 consisting of just Madoka Magica and Saki characters) isn't enough proof of the massive changes that are needed to save SaiMoe, then any chance of saving the tournament in future years is hopeless.
Old 2014-10-27, 16:28   Link #1059
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or perhaps those are the most moe characters to the Japanese on 2ch. They've sort of progressively excluded everyone else.
Old 2014-10-27, 16:45   Link #1060
ion475
にこにこにー

Random prediction...

Spoiler for Prediction:

Tags
saimoe, saimoe 2014