AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Old 2004-10-04, 06:10   Link #101
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

^ Umm... wao, you sure you don't love Gatekeepers just because of Kageyama Reiji?

The first epsiode is quite nice, but I guess we need to wait some more to see how it will turn out. So far it looks like some standard superpower hotblood show, just that the main characters are girls instead of boys...

I'm not fond of the mecha dog... but yea I don't like mecha too much, except for ones with really weird designs. that mecha dog is not weird, it looks too much like... a dog for me... I guess I hope we can see some HiME resembling the Eternity Eight of Scryed... that got to be the coolest superpower ability IMO... although black sword with marks of eyes is equally good for me I guess...

speaking of interesting names... Homura Nagi means flame stop... hmm... seems he's a destined opponent for Mai if the names indicate anything

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-04 at 07:44.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 06:50   Link #102
wao
OK.

Nope, I liked Gatekeepers 21 because of Kageyama Reiji. :P I liked Gatekeepers cos of all the powers! Come on, I was 11 when I watched it, I don't think my fangirlness inside me was awakenede yet :tongue:

Regarding the music, I think it serves its purpose pretty well - it's not bad in the least bit, it's not flat, but it sounds good. It doesn't stand out yet because its the ifrst ep, but I don't think it needs to stand out, really... An overly good soundtrack may be overbearing and distracting.

Remember the promo? That had some interesting music.
Old 2004-10-04, 11:09   Link #103
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Btw, the wolf's name is Dhuran. You see the proper spelling in the URL of the image. =O.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 17:41   Link #104
Rand
Dragon Reborn

Well that first ep was quite interesting !
This mecha wolf/dog looked really cool, very precisely designed and animated.
Girls are cute, really cute and adding some little boobs here and there is fun Fortunatly, the fan service does not seem to fill all the plot. Just those usual "mistakes" such as the eyes fixed on her boobs, his head on her stomach and all, but it would not be anime animore without those mendatory scenes !

Can't wait for the next ep ! Oh and this little girl's sword is great ! The animation of her swinging it is really nicely done ! Gives a real feeling of mouvement and power.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 18:20   Link #105
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

the music was awsome... i realy loved the opening. the rest was ok... there's 1 thing that this anime need is more comedy. its a bit to serious for my taste.

i think it need more fanservice
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 19:49   Link #106
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I thought this was pretty cool. The fanservice was a little like um ok whatever. It is sort of funny ^-^" I LOVE the opening the ending is pretty decent too. Does this anime remind people of Rayearth in a small way? For me it does except no evil eyes LOL. I will continue this one.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 20:14   Link #107
JediNight
キズランダム

Yeah the series name seems to have a double or triple meaning to it. The "mai" kanji used for the title means dance, plus I found a dictionary entry for "maihime" using the same "mai" that means temple dance. And they also mean My Hime as a few sites URL have. So it kinda has a triple meaning heh.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 23:38   Link #108
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Yeah the series name seems to have a double or triple meaning to it. The "mai" kanji used for the title means dance, plus I found a dictionary entry for "maihime" using the same "mai" that means temple dance. And they also mean My Hime as a few sites URL have. So it kinda has a triple meaning heh.
Maihime literally means 'dancing girl'. It's just a play on words. :X

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 23:51   Link #109
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
I thought this was pretty cool. The fanservice was a little like um ok whatever. It is sort of funny ^-^" I LOVE the opening the ending is pretty decent too. Does this anime remind people of Rayearth in a small way? For me it does except no evil eyes LOL. I will continue this one.
Hrm, did we watch the same show?

I didnt detect any noteworthy fanservice whatsoever. Maybe in later eps.

The gun and robot lady seemed wierd: didnt like the way all her attacks seemed ineffective. Guns, missiles, and bullets should not be show as limp all the time. They are damn dangerous. Also, she shouldnt stick a gun to someone's head unless she intends to shoot. Otherwise its stupid.

Also, I got a strong lesbian vibe from this show.

So I guess the main thing Im still interested in is the magic powers. I wonder how those will turn out. Maybe theyll throw in some worthwhile saabisu. In the meantime, I dont think it can compete with shows such as elfen lied.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:00   Link #110
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
I didnt detect any noteworthy fanservice whatsoever. Maybe in later eps.
Actually, I would like to ask the same question.

I've been reading most of the comments on this thread about "fanservice," but to me, there weren't any...

Perhaps what we consider as "fanservice" is different from what Americans take as "fanservice?"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:03   Link #111
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Perhaps. It seems to be a matter of degree. Americans consider it fanservice whenever there is a blatant display of a woman's body, two girls lips touching, merely a glimpse of panties or pretty much anything.

What do Japanese people consider fanservice? I gather that girl-girl CPR doesn't quite make the grade. Mai seemed to feel that her CPR counted as a kiss, but I'd hope that all of the audience would think otherwise.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-10-05 at 01:24.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 01:23   Link #112
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Maihime literally means 'dancing girl'. It's just a play on words. :X

-Tofu
should be dancing princess... but since Mai is also the name of the main character, it could be said as Mai's HiME (Highly Advanced Materialization Equipment or whatever?), so it holds maybe four meanings now

For fan-service... Personally I don't really think it has much that could be counted as fan-service... maybe the one scene where Mai's in wet shirt and the guy's staring part could be one? For fan-service, I'm no Japanese, but I think it's more like showing girl's panties, breasts, close up body display etc. etc. which serve no purpose other than... serving the fans... the girls doing mouth-to-mouth part seems highly integral to the plot and character development, and it's shown quite professionally, so I won't consider that fan-service...

I think the lesbian vibe is mostly in the ED, the episode itself doesn't really suggest anything lesbian I guess... I personally hope it could be some real hotblood superpower girls show... I guess I can already get enough for my shoujo-ai fix from Kannaduki no Miko
Old 2004-10-05, 02:33   Link #113
TrueKnight

I actually want the fanservice to be kind of mild in this one....because we can focuses on the story better, just like Kurao Phantom Memory. But if the fanservices are more than that....well I can't complain because I actually don't mind either . We males sucks in this area.....

But if the fanservices are blatantly abused just like in say.....Ikkitousen and BakuTen.......blegh.

We need more fantasies over mechs more on this one, kinda like Guilty Gear series.

About the lesbian tome....no comment, never really cared about it.....ok maybe just a bit...but only as far in the ED.

Also, I hope there's no UBER USELESS MALE WUSS in this one. Cuz I had enough in recent animes "you nearly know all them". Sadly, it seemed like this one are deemed to have one as well. Eventhough it's only rather small part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Americans consider it fanservice whenever there is a blatant display of a woman's body, two girls lips touching, merely a glimpse of panties or pretty much anything.
*nods*

Btw, I'll say it again, Mai rocks.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 02:57   Link #114
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
We need more fantasies over mechs more on this one, kinda like Guilty Gear series.
I agree, but I'm also quite worried about this one... since it seems from the OP the actions will be mainly about mechs... I hope there could be more non-mecha super powers...

BTW, is fan-service a term strictly for female characters? ie. is fan-service strictly meant for male fans? How about fan-service for female fans? (examples would be... Saint Seiya... and Gundam SEED... and lots more...)
Old 2004-10-05, 06:01   Link #115
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't generally like the type of character that the girl with the sword seems to be, but I do think her sword-style was fun to watch. Adding momentum to the sword by spinning it in circles like a hammer-toss almost was cool to watch.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 06:17   Link #116
wao
OK.

Judging from the first ep I am going to like Mikoto's character the least out of the 3 main characters (though I like her character design), then Mai, then Natsuki... Judging purely from speculation and the OP I think the rijichou, Kazahana Mashiro will be the character personality I dislike the most, either her, or Kanzaki Reito (let's just hope he doesn't really come across as a playboy, from what I see on the site it doesn't seem so...) or maybe Harada Chie (she seems to like dispelling rumours...). Maybe Kikukawa Yukino (seems to like reading books).

Actually, the more I read the character descriptions on the site the more bland they seem

I too thought Mikoto's way of using the sword was rather cool, it made it a lot more dynamic and cool... and I like teh way she also gets flung with the sword easily because of its weight.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there's fanservice for females, but it's more in the face and choice of clothes than in other parts of the body. I don't think I'd be very excited if I saw Athrun in underwear, for example. I think I'd laugh my ass off, though...
Of course, at least from my personal experience, sometimes shirtless guys can be rather exciting. But it makes you wonder, do all of them shave their chest like mad or do they really not grow any chest hair.. same with their beards, you gotta think they are rather particular with shaving (except maybe in Monster, Tenma grows stubble, gasp!)
Old 2004-10-05, 06:48   Link #117
dreamless

Umm... I don't grow much (if any) chest hair myself... same goes to many people around me... beard... hmm... they are mostly, like what? 14? 16? too early to grow beard I guess... For fanservice for females... well, the earliest one to my knowledge is Saint Seiya... when Shiryu does his... umm... strip thing... of course Kenshiro does a lot of "strip" things too, but then I doubt many girls watch Fist of the North Star... I heard that many fangirls scream at Athrun bathing scene... well, I myself scream at Cagalli bathing scene, so I guess I can't blame them

I don't have much like/dislike towards Mikoto yet... she doesn't show much personality in ep1... however I really like Mai, and I somewhat dislike Natsuki... I don't have much like/dislike to Mikoto spinning her black sword neither, but I surely like it when the "eyes mark" on the sword shines... Guess currently my favorite character in Mai-HiME is the black sword, second is Mai

Quote:
udging from the first ep I am going to like Mikoto's character the least out of the 3 main characters (though I like her character design), then Mai, then Natsuki...
Hmm... what do you mean by liking Mikoto least, then Mai, then Natsuki? you mean you don't like them all? or you mean that you like Nasuki best, then Mai, then Mikoto?
Old 2004-10-05, 07:05   Link #118
wao
OK.

But surely not all east Asian men have no chest hair Or maybe the ones that do hide it....

I suppose the animators would also not have enoguh time to draw it :P

Oh wait! I remembered one absolutely hawt guy with loads of chest hair who also bared a lot of it and provided excellent fanservice!
Spoiler:

What I meant was I (probably) dislike them in this order, Mikoto (most), then Mai, then Natsuki (least).

I hate Natsuki's stuck up personality but I prefer it to Mai's for some reason. I guess Mai's too normal for me. o.O Of course, this is all ludicrous, me spouting all of this when it's just the first ep.
Old 2004-10-05, 08:51   Link #119
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But surely not all east Asian men have no chest hair Or maybe the ones that do hide it....
Finding an Asian with chest hair is probably as common as finding an Asian with blue eyes.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 09:46   Link #120
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenichan
Actually, she's a 2nd year in middle school I believe (one year older than Mai's brother) and Yuuichi is a 1st year in high school, like Mai.
Ah...thanks for clearing it up. I was confused cause Yuiichi said "we're students of Fuuka Gakuen" and Shiho said "I'm in second year" I thought they were both in high school, and thought she was older. But I just realized that the school Fuuka Gakuen is an all grades school, from K-12. I never heard of schools like those before. Usually grades are split into different schools...anyways, stupid me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Finding an Asian with chest hair is probably as common as finding an Asian with blue eyes.
This is kinda embarassing, but I'm fully asian and I do have chest hair. Apparently I'm a hairy guy. I already need to shave every morning. My chest not that long now (about 1 centermeter long), but they're still growing. I don't plan to shave my chest just yet . It's weird though, my dad is almost completely hairless. So I think I got the "hairiness" genes from my grampa (my mom's dad, now deceased). My grampa had quite a lot of chest hair. When I was young, I'd see him wear low cut or T-shirts, and you can see grey/white hair sticking out of the shirt out of the collars. It's sort of disgusting, but damn does he look manly, especially when he holds a beer.

Actually, I'm hoping for the fanservice to be at a mininum. That's not to say no fanservice at all. I like fanservice (when it's done tastefully). It's just that I'm kind "full" after seeing fanservice-filled shows like Girls Bravo, DearS, and Shinobu-den. I hope they elaborate more on the plot and style in this series.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote