AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2010-07-22, 15:45   Link #141
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Be sure to check out the movie!!
Old 2010-07-23, 06:46   Link #142
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What movie?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 08:44   Link #143
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I actually meant the OVA. Since I watched it in one sitting I thought it was a movie.
Old 2010-07-23, 10:34   Link #144
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, good. For one minute there, I thought there as something as big as a movie of this series out and I hadn't seen it, yet.

Old 2010-09-26, 14:11   Link #145
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah, but didn't she go out that night with the intent to sleep with another guy? Or am I remembering and interpreting it wrong?
In that scene, Mitsuki went out to do something drastic, and she picked Shinji because he was convenient. It was an act of desperation, not of malice or even concious decision. Desperate people often do horrible things to themselves, and it was the sheer amount of pain involved that made the drama compelling. What's really important is how they, and their loved ones respond to such desperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now, I don't put much blame on Narumi. His situation was horrific, and he was being pulled roughly from both sides following the awakening of Haruka. No matter what he did, he had to severely tick off at least one person (Akane or Shinji), and break the heart of another (Haruka or Mitsuki).
In the end, it wasn't a question of hurting someone - it was all about who meant the most to him. Takayuki came to the realization that he couldn't handle the idea of losing Mitsuki, and that's what pushed him into finally taking decisive action. In fact, it was Takayuki's very fear of hurting someone that spurred his inaction and lead to him inflicting so much pain (as much to himself as to anyone else).

Quote:
However, most of the 2nd half episodes of this anime made it seem like he loved Haruka more than he did Mitsuki, imo. So, his sudden reversal, coming after Mitsuki and Shinji had sex, doesn't make much sense to me.
It wasn't a reversal: Takayuki had been in love with Mitsuki the whole time, and it just took him some time to both realize it and act on it. He had been overly caught up in his own problems to look at what everyone else was suffering from, and it took Shinji to wake him up from it.

Quote:
The overall story premise of this anime is very compelling, but I felt that the execution of it was a bit off. If they had planned a Mitsuki ending from the beginning, I think that they could have made a much better supporting case for it. As is, the anime mostly felt like it was going for a Haruka ending to me, but decided to pull off a plot twist at the end.
If the creators had gone with all the indication of a Mitsuki ending from the beginning, then the show would have lost much of the intensity of the drama and it would have been more frustrating to watch. It's a very fine line in both direction and storytelling, and the OVA serves as an example of how easy it is to kill the potential appeal of the show. After you know the ending, it's a lot easier to see how every scene serves its place to support the actual ending.

Personally, I thought that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was mostly about Mitsuki, and that it was told from her point of view. Haruka was the one character who managed to grow the most over the course of the story - the reason being that the other characters had trouble separating themselves from the past.
Old 2010-10-03, 12:59   Link #146
Alchemist007
*Author

I did/do think Shinji was a complete asshole for not stopping her advances on him. But what pissed me off was that Takayuki was the only one who got beaten up about it; which he probably deserved a bit, Shinji deserved far worse... "It's your fault that this happened!" Really, douchebag?
Old 2010-10-03, 14:50   Link #147
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I did/do think Shinji was a complete asshole for not stopping her advances on him. But what pissed me off was that Takayuki was the only one who got beaten up about it; which he probably deserved a bit, Shinji deserved far worse... "It's your fault that this happened!" Really, douchebag?
That bothered me as well. The guy laid there and let it happen? Why? Because he had a secret crush on her in HS? He deserved a punch in the face too.
Old 2010-10-03, 16:11   Link #148
Alchemist007
*Author

It's why I'm glad the game exists, you can even make the accident never happen at all and get whoever you want. My favorite is Akane. One thing the show did very well was hint all the possible relationships and without even knowing about the game I was like "ok, there has to be a game on this or something." The art in which is very superb.
Old 2010-10-03, 23:30   Link #149
4Tran

Quote:
I find that I can't blame Shinji too much. He certainly didn't plan for it - he'd just played the big hero "rescuing" Mitsuki, and he was just tucking her into bed when she made her advance. Even if he hadn't been in love with her all along, there was still a decent chance of falling. It's a combination of surprise and a sense of perhaps being able to save her again. It certainly was a mistake, but it's a very understandable one.

As for what he deserved, who has the right to blame him? Mitsuki herself knew full well that she's far more at fault than he was, so she's out. Takayuki has some right, but he's responsible for hurting Mitsuki a lot more than anything Shinji did, so it's a bit of a stretch. For that matter, Shinji himself would have been happier if Takayuki slugged him. And that's what saves him in my eyes from being a "complete asshole".

Personally, this scenario is one of my favorite parts of Kiminozo, and I think that it goes a long way towards giving the show the power it has.
Old 2010-10-04, 00:59   Link #150
Alchemist007
*Author

You have to be very thick, unbelievably so to think that advance was from someone in their right mind, someone you've known for a long time at that.
Old 2010-10-04, 01:15   Link #151
4Tran

Quote:
You have to be very thick, unbelievably so to think that advance was from someone in their right mind, someone you've known for a long time at that.
Of course Shinji knew that Mitsuki wasn't in her right mind - he wouldn't have had to tuck her in otherwise. But I doubt that that's what he was thinking of when the woman he'd been in love with all along suddenly kissed him. He was probably floating a lot of "I can fix her up" as justifications, but that's a very human thing to do.
Old 2010-10-04, 01:30   Link #152
Alchemist007
*Author

I don't see how. At best I think I could give him the 'I simply had no thoughts at all' but not even that tbh.
Old 2010-10-04, 04:37   Link #153
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No thoughts? Now, that's a stretch. C'mon, almost any human in his situation would eventually be tempted and, most of the time, succumb to such a temptation.

Nothing inhuman about that.

Old 2010-10-04, 08:08   Link #154
Alchemist007
*Author

I didn't say it was inhuman, I said he was an asshole
But the thought process of a guy could very well be "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" during that whole time.

Ed: Ok I let my diction get the better of me, what I meant to say was that it was a very asshole thing to do. The guy himself wasn't exactly a serial rapist.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2010-10-04 at 10:24.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:37   Link #155
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
No thoughts? Now, that's a stretch. C'mon, almost any human in his situation would eventually be tempted and, most of the time, succumb to such a temptation.

Nothing inhuman about that.
To me, it's my friend's girl is off limits, period. He broke the Bro Code. Not cool. He knew full well what was happening and how she would react the next morning. I know the feelings of wanting to save a girl from as asshole, but he was a stranger to me. If the guy was my friend, I would have confronted him instead of helping her.
Old 2010-10-04, 17:32   Link #156
Alchemist007
*Author

Ah yes the bro code, violation of which is un-bro-like and totally uncool. Yeah actually a punch to the face or more is what happens. I remember a friend I had in school, another one of his friends did something to break the bro code and he got threatened with a metal bat. You don't break the bro code.
Old 2010-10-04, 19:30   Link #157
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, I'm not a subscriber of the bro code, myself... more likely, a former member of the "asshole" club association or something to that effect.

Old 2011-04-13, 00:19   Link #158
User68604
Disabled By Request

I absolutely loved this series. I keep recommending it to anyone who is seeking a mature romance anime.

The title alone, "rumbling hearts" really sums up how I felt the entire time while watching this series. My heart was heavy with a rollercoaster of up and down feelings throughout this masterpiece.

I believe one of the true reasons why I was so immersed in this was because how closely I could relate to the main character in terms of the "stage of life."

Incredible story. I loved the ending (against the grain, apparently) as I truly believe Mitsuki earned the right to be with the main character. Rumbling hearts..indeed
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 10:49   Link #159
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You're not really "against the grain". It's just that negative feelings prompt more responses over the internet.

Old 2011-09-25, 19:30   Link #160
ArrowSmith

Interesting. I'd watched this a few years back, then bought the DVD Box Set and re-watched it just in the last 2 weeks again. Different opinion this time around! I think Takayuki is not such a "nice" person with his inability to commit to one woman. Also I think Mitsuki was mistaken to throw herself at Takayuki right after the accident. He was very vulnerable and she took what she could. I think the ending might be where Haruka turns around and sees Takyuki after he just broke up finally with Mitsuki.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote