Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-06-15, 00:40   Link #1721
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Good ending for this very uneven season. I'm still not a fan of the Sansa nonsense (in the end her story was still overtaken by Theon's redemption story).
I think you're expecting something from Sansa that she was never meant to be. She is not an Arya type of heroine who goes around leaving pedophiles rekt. Sansa's flaw has always been living in a daydream and an extremely skewed/naive view of the world. Thus her characters development will require her to see people and see the world as it really is. Theon's redemption story is actually supplementary to Sansa's development, not opposing it.

I think pegging Sansa as an archetypal damsel in distress misses the mark on her character. Theon's battle has been breaking through Reek so I think it's fair Sansa has taken a backseat the last few episodes. Her time will come when she turns Petyr's plans into ash/frozen in their tracks
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 00:58   Link #1722
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for 10:

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 01:23   Link #1723
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

^ Been waiting for that too happen, just to watch the fallout. I'm in the hopeful camp concerning certain theories relating to it and other events.
Old 2015-06-15, 08:09   Link #1724
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
I think you're expecting something from Sansa that she was never meant to be. She is not an Arya type of heroine who goes around leaving pedophiles rekt. Sansa's flaw has always been living in a daydream and an extremely skewed/naive view of the world. Thus her characters development will require her to see people and see the world as it really is. Theon's redemption story is actually supplementary to Sansa's development, not opposing it.
I never claimed Theon's story was opposing Sansa's, rather I'm claiming the reverse of what you are saying: Sansa's story has become supplementary to Theon's. I don't dislike the interaction of the two characters stories, in fact there is a lot of good in their combination. But at every key moment of Sansa's story, her actions and agency become dependent or are showcased through Theon's story, effectively eliminating the depth of her own storyline, subsuming it within Theon's.

To put it in another way, Cersei's walk of shame is entirely about Cersei, and consequently the audiences perspective is always focused on her. We are constantly kept in close-up on her face as we experience one of the most horrific moments of the series with her (to be fair, the close-ups are also so they don't have to use the body double so much). None of her emotional or physical discomfort is hidden. This moment is all about Cersei and the world that surrounds her and that she helped create. Now imagine if, during this long drawn out emotional moment, the pov changes from Cersei to her son (or whomever else she is connected to), watching as she is subjected to this cruelty. Of course it wouldn't be beyond reasonable for her son to be watching, and of course there is nothing wrong with the audience knowing his displeasure and pain over Cersei's humiliation, but such a pov change would undercut the moment entirely. It's not that the emotional resonance of Cersie's moment would be eliminated, but you are dampening it and undercutting the depth of the moment by forcing another's viewpoint on the audience.

This is what has happened to Sansa's storyline almost since the moment she was left in Winterfell to take care of herself.

(Of course, I never expected Sansa to kill Ramsay or anything so dramatic, but I did think that Ramsay's mistress (did she ever have a name?) would die by Sansa's hands (I suspected that Sansa would push the mistress from the Tower so prominently featured during their introduction several episodes previous), and I see no reason why she couldn't have at least helped push her in this episode. Just something a little more proactive than the completely meaningless, albeit well said, words she keeps sprouting.)

Sadly, I heavily expect that Sansa's storyline for next season will be focused on one thing: whether or not she should abort the fetus Ramsay has undoubtedly raped into her. Because unless you are stabby-killy like Arya, or have dragons, this is the level of storytelling I've sadly come to expect for the female characters in Game of Thrones (which isn't necessarily bad, especially considering that Cersei's walk of shame is a high dramatic mark in the series).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 08:09   Link #1725
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that was a way to end the season. A lot of characters died yet their fate ends with an ambiguous cliffhanger.

BTW, Lena Heady doesn't do nude shots so in "that scene" was not her but her body double.

And the Mountain returns as a zombie Kingsguard.
Old 2015-06-15, 08:30   Link #1726
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Spoiler for Season Finale and Speculation:
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 09:05   Link #1727
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for 10:
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 10:46   Link #1728
Slayerx

Frankly, i thought that season finale was absolutely terrible...
Spoiler:
Old 2015-06-15, 11:04   Link #1729
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Well, time to join the Night's King camp, I guess..... go, walkers! ^_^
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:19   Link #1730
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
"Nothing good must happen to a Stark. NOTHING."

Not even Greek Gods were that dickish to an entire lineage. At this rate, I am going to root for the White Walkers. Or Hodor.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:47   Link #1731
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler:
There is a reason I'm pretty much rooting for the Night King and his lot at this stage, I'm sick of the crapsack of the world because when the rest of continent realise how fucked they are, we might get some actual focus on a character to be a hero and worth actually caring about (queue the theories). It has gotten to the point where if anything good happens to anyone, especially a stark, they're going to die shortly after. I've said it ages ago, but the story lacks a focus for the audience to care about and become invested in... After so much death, caring is hard.
Old 2015-06-15, 11:47   Link #1732
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
"Nothing good must happen to a Stark. NOTHING."

Not even Greek Gods were that dickish to an entire lineage. At this rate, I am going to root for the White Walkers. Or Hodor.
As much as I feel for the Starks, let's not forget the entire House Baratheon has just been wiped clean off existence (and House Targarian is literaly on its one last leg).
And unless Uncle Kevan starts getting really busy real soon, house Lannister has no surviving heirs, with Lancel now a religious fanatic, Tyrion persona non grata in Westeros and Jaime a Kingsguard.
The only houses that seem to be doing well for themselves are probably the Freys and the small houses and class B bannermen around the Tyrells, the Arryns or the Martells.
Old 2015-06-15, 11:48   Link #1733
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Because all the hints you need have now aired, I don't think it's a spoiler (but just in case) to say

Spoiler for Theories:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
And unless Uncle Kevan starts getting really busy real soon, house Lannister has no surviving heirs, with Lancel now a religious fanatic, Tyrion persona non grata in Westeros and Jaime a Kingsguard.
Tommen seems quite enthusiastic about extending the line.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2015-06-15 at 12:48.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:51   Link #1734
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I didn't include him because he's theorectically a baratheon and his wife is in jail.
Old 2015-06-15, 12:07   Link #1735
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Because all the hints you need have now aired, I don't think it's a spoiler (but just in case) to say

Spoiler for Theories:

The theory I like I don't think the TV series has covered or displayed the points well enough in comparison to the book. But it kind of relates to your point 3, and the fact that there are not truely dark or light people, just grey, including the frosties to the north and a broken treaty.
Old 2015-06-15, 12:11   Link #1736
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler:
I think your watch has ended.
Old 2015-06-15, 13:18   Link #1737
Jagger

There was nothing shameful about that body, that's for sure. Lena always looks great with short hair too. I'm looking forward to seeing how she exacts revenge on the sparrows.

I'm not sure Stannis is dead. You could see doubt in Brienne's eyes for a second. The fact they panned to another scene just as he was about to be killed is very suspicious.

The dothraki surrounding Dany was interesting. Hard to say if they're friendly or not. It would be nice if Dany got a dothraki horde again and cross the poison water with them like she wanted in the beginning.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 13:25   Link #1738
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
I didn't include him because he's theorectically a baratheon and his wife is in jail.
Well, she won't be in jail forever. And sooner or later Tommen's true parentage is going to be publicly acknowledged I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
There was nothing shameful about that body, that's for sure. Lena always looks great with short hair too. I'm looking forward to seeing how she exacts revenge on the sparrows.
That was a stunt body, actually, with Lena's face CGI'd onto it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 15:09   Link #1739
Dop
Mmmm....

At this stage, I'm prepared to believe only one person is going to come out of this well.

Hodor.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 15:36   Link #1740
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

For theories:

HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo