AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-16, 01:37   Link #1761
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'd count Excalibur as one of the eight, Free is also a possibility considering his immortality, but his role has been small enough to lower that chance quite a bit. This last chapter was actually very interesting, a trip in a book of sins! Gotta love the trials...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 01:40   Link #1762
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

oh god Soul and Kilik were crazy cute, gendering bending is everywhere these days....

and this comes just a week after I spent some time looking for gendering bending series as well.
My mind is sooooooooo all over the place atm>_<
Old 2010-03-16, 08:52   Link #1763
Ashaman

awesome chapter
I lol'd

Also, is it just me or do Black Star and Tsubaki seem to have swapped body types. Just saying.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 09:18   Link #1764
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
awesome chapter
I lol'd

Also, is it just me or do Black Star and Tsubaki seem to have swapped body types. Just saying.
I'd almost say the same for Maka and Soul. Index said something along the lines that in the first chapter of lust, it is natural that everyone in the room would switch to a body type of the opposing gender that attracts them. It seems to be a hint that Tsubaki and Black*Star hold an interest in each other, but I don't want to debate on romance aspects of the manga so I will digress.

I finally caught up since chapter 69 though, and I have to say that things are building up really nicely. To me, it looks like each arc in Soul Eater has something new and interesting to show us. Sure, the theme of the seven sins has been done many times by other authors, but the way it's being presented is unique, I would say, since they have to literally venture through a book. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 10:59   Link #1765
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamiMiko View Post
That's because they're not just opposite gender versions of themselves, their appearance corresponds to what they desire in the opposite sex.
If go by that logic it looks likeBlack star and Tsubaki prefer each other or someone very similar since Tsubaki basicly got his musculine body while Star got her feminine body and even innocent face.

Soul and Maka have no chances

Anyway... Tsubaki looks so cool like a guy! I really wouldn't mind if she would stay like this for several chapters.
Kilik looks so much better as a girl 0_o I wonder how Ox would look like... imagine girly Stein and manly Medusa 0_0

Sould also looked really well! Lizz and Patty now look like real gangsters...
Old 2010-03-16, 13:05   Link #1766
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I'm really not a fan of gender bending.
Old 2010-03-16, 15:07   Link #1767
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

@DragoZERO: Technically it's not genderbending. Since they are turned in the other sex but not how they would look if they were of the other sex. They look acording to what interests and entices them with regards to the opposite sex.

Which brings me to my next point of interest.

Am I the only one who is disturbed by the fact that Tsubaki looks like a more muscular and slightly younger version of her brother?

Maka looks kinda geeky. Maka likes geeks? Soul is not a geek... Thats not a good sign.
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 17:41   Link #1768
MegamiMiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repelsteeltju View Post
@DragoZERO: Technically it's not genderbending. Since they are turned in the other sex but not how they would look if they were of the other sex. They look acording to what interests and entices them with regards to the opposite sex.

Which brings me to my next point of interest.

Am I the only one who is disturbed by the fact that Tsubaki looks like a more muscular and slightly younger version of her brother?
I think it's kind of a combination of both, like their general appearance stays similar but the specific features become the type they find appealing.
Quote:
Maka looks kinda geeky. Maka likes geeks? Soul is not a geek... Thats not a good sign.
Soul's girly girl look doesn't exactly match Maka either.
MegamiMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 20:00   Link #1769
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Great chapter! I could hardly contain my backflips of mind-exploding-onto-walls-edness.

Here's my thoughts on stuff!
Maka changed to be almost exactly like herself. She might have some trouble in the Pride chapter. This also shows she has some amount of disdain for Soul's laid-back attitude, but we already knew that.
Soul became a much more feminine girl than Maka. I wouldn't think that Soul would be up-front about what he desires in women, like his desires are really just from his base instincts and not because he's consciously judgmental. Poor Soul. He's the character I relate with the most so I feel weird just leaving him in that situation for a month. XD
Black*Star. Gosh, what are we going to do with you? I'm glad we had the little flashback about his relationship with Kidd. I hope to see something about Black*Star's reflections on Mifune in the coming chapters as we journey through the minds of our characters.
Tsubaki, like Black*Star seems to have some admiration for her partner in romantic styles. Aww? Their souls are well-suited.
Killik I don't have much comment on. I'm glad he's in the book now so he can be in more of the chapters.
The ecchi that was the Succubus didn't bother me too much because I know it'll come to fruition soon.

I hope Ox, Harvar, Kim, Jackie, Stein, Marie, Death Scythe, Tesca, and Enrique do stuff.

So the transformations of the characters was entirely partial. Tsubaki's hair didn't change colors. I imagine Soul still has white hair, pointed teeth, and red eyes. They couldn't change too much because they are, after all, still themselves.
Old 2010-03-17, 00:21   Link #1770
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'm feeling this mission will turn into one of those "Let us never speak of this again" moments.

EDIT: Just to make clear of what I mean, I think that some of the characters in the mission will be scarred by some experience and will deny that it ever happened.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 17:51   Link #1771
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejellosphere View Post
Great chapter! I could hardly contain my backflips of mind-exploding-onto-walls-edness.

Here's my thoughts on stuff!
Maka changed to be almost exactly like herself. She might have some trouble in the Pride chapter. This also shows she has some amount of disdain for Soul's laid-back attitude, but we already knew that.
Soul became a much more feminine girl than Maka. I wouldn't think that Soul would be up-front about what he desires in women, like his desires are really just from his base instincts and not because he's consciously judgmental. Poor Soul. He's the character I relate with the most so I feel weird just leaving him in that situation for a month. XD
Black*Star. Gosh, what are we going to do with you? I'm glad we had the little flashback about his relationship with Kidd. I hope to see something about Black*Star's reflections on Mifune in the coming chapters as we journey through the minds of our characters.
Tsubaki, like Black*Star seems to have some admiration for her partner in romantic styles. Aww? Their souls are well-suited.
Killik I don't have much comment on. I'm glad he's in the book now so he can be in more of the chapters.
The ecchi that was the Succubus didn't bother me too much because I know it'll come to fruition soon.

I hope Ox, Harvar, Kim, Jackie, Stein, Marie, Death Scythe, Tesca, and Enrique do stuff.

So the transformations of the characters was entirely partial. Tsubaki's hair didn't change colors. I imagine Soul still has white hair, pointed teeth, and red eyes. They couldn't change too much because they are, after all, still themselves.
I wanna see Black Star in the pride chapter. But Maka could be fun as well. I'm also looking forward to Sloth, Wrath, Greed and Envy. Gluttony kinda feels like it'll be a gag chapter, but time will tell. God who am I kidding? I'm looking forward to all the chapters of the book op Eibon.

Maka likes Soul's laid back attitude! She just dislikes his perverted side... She looks like a geek. But I sorta expected her to look cooler since you know... Soul.

I knew it! Soul has a thing for dresses and wearing inpractical clothing in combat! I'm still kinda dumbstruck about him making Maka kill Arachne on high heels! Though admittedly the dress was effective. I was expecting him to have bigger boobs when I heard that he looked girlish.

I too hope to see some more Mifune in the form of flashbacks, illusions or whatever. This would be epic. Since he's one of my favorite (dead) characters.

I like to think that Shibusen is planning to attack Noah both in the book and in his base. If we can see Stein going all out - which I doubt - things might go good for Shibusen. But either way depending on what Noah has hidden in that little book of his, one of the two sides is gonna be seriously outnumbered.

About the changes, Soul has changed the most. I can't say anything for shure about his eye colour or hair colour untill I see colour spreads.... But to me they don't look like the same colour as usual to me. His teeth didn't look pointy, but then again we didn't get a good view of his teeth though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I'm feeling this mission will turn into one of those "Let us never speak of this again" moments.

EDIT: Just to make clear of what I mean, I think that some of the characters in the mission will be scarred by some experience and will deny that it ever happened.
Respect +1! That would be so awesome!
Old 2010-03-17, 18:01   Link #1772
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

@Repelsteeljtu:
So Soul requires of Maka that she fight in impractical clothing? XDD Priceless.

On page 31, Noah says, "Shinigami... Asura... It's only you, now.... I'LL TAKE YOU, TOO!!!"
The 8 Old Ones we know are: Shinigami, Asura, Eibon, the one in the Book of Eibon, three that Asura ate, and one other of which Kid knows. Noah seems to only want Shinigami and Asura, so this mystery last Great Old One must be somewhere in Noah's book or- to Noah's knowledge- dead. I thought Free and Excalibur were possibilities, so maybe Noah already has Excalibur? I can't imagine Excalibur would put up much of a fight. I wonder...
Also, he didn't mention Eibon. Either Eibon is dead or, much more likely, he considers himself in possession of Eibon because he has the Book of Eibon and BREW, essentially Eibon himself.

EDIT:
I just realized some meaning to the Great Old One's words (the one in the Book.)
When he was enveloping Death the Kid, he said, "Order... Knowledge... Power... Rage... Terror... The Great Old Ones... our very existence drives men to madness."
The Index said, "As expected... the madness known as the rule of law... A fragment of the Great Old Ones, eh?"

From this I have several points of speculation:
-There are different types of insanity. Kid's struggle is with order and law-based obsessions.
-The Great Old Ones/8 Powerful Warlords are tied to these types of madness, and influence the world towards their insanity by existing.
--Order=Shinigami
--Knowledge=Eibon
--Power=Excalibur? <-Really not sure about this one
--Rage=Asura?
--Terror=The one in the Book?

Repelsteeljtu was kind to point out that the Index resembles a figure seen on the shoulder of one of the 8 Powerful Warlords. Maybe this was Noah's inspiration for putting it in the book? Maybe the picture of the Warlords from before was just too early in the manga to still count and the Index was on Eibon's shoulder and Eibon put the Index in the Book when he made it? Maybe those three from the early picture were the three that Asura ate and the Index was some companion who survived and was captured by Noah later? Maybe because it had some knowledge-based powers because it was connected to Eibon in some way? I have no idea.

Last edited by Orangejellosphere; 2010-03-17 at 18:23.
Orangejellosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 18:21   Link #1773
Sol Falling

Something I'm not totally clear about: what exactly are each of the book Noah has, and the book Shinigami has? How come both are able to access the internal realm of the Book of Eibon? Maka said (I think) that what she borrowed was 'the manuscript of the Book of Eibon'; is this distinct from the Book of Eibon itself, and if so, how then were the witches able to connect to the inner world through it? Also, would Noah have any interest or desire for the other book in Shibusen's possession?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 18:33   Link #1774
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Something I'm not totally clear about: what exactly are each of the book Noah has, and the book Shinigami has? How come both are able to access the internal realm of the Book of Eibon? Maka said (I think) that what she borrowed was 'the manuscript of the Book of Eibon'; is this distinct from the Book of Eibon itself, and if so, how then were the witches able to connect to the inner world through it? Also, would Noah have any interest or desire for the other book in Shibusen's possession?
I think that the book that Shibusen has is an inert copy with no magical powers, only some information. It took a lot of work to use just that to put Maka and group into the for-real Book of Eibon in Noah's possession. 5 witches worth of calculating power and magic, Blair's specialty of bridging magic and non-magic (she is, after all, just a cat with really strong magical powers) and Ox and Harvar supporting large amounts of calculation all contributed to this feat. I think this makes what they did seem more possible, particularly because the sequence was drawn out for impact.
Old 2010-03-17, 21:00   Link #1775
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
I knew it! Soul has a thing for dresses and wearing impractical clothing in combat! I'm still kinda dumbstruck about him making Maka kill Arachne on high heels!
I hadn't actually thought of that, maybe impractical clothes=cool combat outfits in Soul's mind?

And I like how it was Maka all along, not Medusa, who checked out the copy of the book of Eibon. I remember that was a fan theory but didn't seem too likely at the time, nice to get some continuity with the pass borrowing as well.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 12:34   Link #1776
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I assume the book Shibusen has is just what it says in the translation. A manuscript. It wouldn't be a big stretch to say Shinigami helped in it's creation, now would it? I suspect that they both have different inner worlds, but since the only major difference is what is stored in the books. A witch skilled in Dimensional Magic/Arithmetic Magic (Eruka) should be able to mix the contents and or use the method one book uses to transport one to the internal realm of the book to connect to the other book instead.

These are just my thoughs on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejellosphere View Post
I think that the book that Shibusen has is an inert copy with no magical powers, only some information. It took a lot of work to use just that to put Maka and group into the for-real Book of Eibon in Noah's possession. 5 witches worth of calculating power and magic, Blair's specialty of bridging magic and non-magic (she is, after all, just a cat with really strong magical powers) and Ox and Harvar supporting large amounts of calculation all contributed to this feat. I think this makes what they did seem more possible, particularly because the sequence was drawn out for impact.
It could be. As Maka has read the book. But then again, I doubt just anyone could use the book like Noah does. I would like to note, that Blair had nothing to do with the spell. She might just end up becoming the Spartoi's way out though... The spell was cast by Eruka, Lisa, Alisa & Kim. Mostly Eruka... Notably Eruka. Other than the circle I doubt they needed all that much work to connect the two books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I hadn't actually thought of that, maybe impractical clothes=cool combat outfits in Soul's mind?

And I like how it was Maka all along, not Medusa, who checked out the copy of the book of Eibon. I remember that was a fan theory but didn't seem too likely at the time, nice to get some continuity with the pass borrowing as well.
The black blood dress did look pretty cool. I'll give him that. I like it more than the dress Maka wore at the christmas party.

That it was Maka who took the book was fairy obvious after Maka used her father's ID to see Medusa when she was locked up in Shibusen. Medusa probably didn't even have the clearance to take that book. The only one who didn't know was that 'failure of a detective' we like to call Death the Kid.

@Orangejellosphere:

Shinigami's madness being 'Order' is fairly obvious.
Asura seems more like a 'Terror' guy to me.
That would make the one in the book's madness 'Rage'?
Eibon does seem like a good candidate for knowledge.
And that only leaves 'Power' for the one whom Kid knows.

Anywayz, I like this idea.
Respect +1
Old 2010-03-18, 15:40   Link #1777
lmd_84

Having now actually read the scanlation that turned up on the LJ (!), the one in the book describes Kid as a 'fragment', and the Index refers to the 'madness of the rule of law' in relation to Kid. I think that Shinigami's aspect is Order and that applies by extension to Kid as well. Order is the one that he 'knows' because he is consumed by it.

I think the use of fragment (in that particular translation) means just as it appears - Shinigami and Kid are part of the same thing, it's just that Kid's compulsion to enforce order is much more intense than his father's seems to be. Shinigami has his own kind of order - it's what Shibusen does for a start - but apparently Kid got an overdose of it when he was...created. Or whathaveyou.

Terror seems to fit Asura, as what little we know of him suggests he's motivated by his fear rather than some inherent desire to inflict chaos. It's just that chaos seems to be the outcome of his reactions. It would very much make sense considering how many times over-coming fear has allowed various characters to succeed. For example, it's the basis of Soul and Maka's combat). Yet he is also associated with chaos, it's in the definition of Kishin, which puts this into question.

While looking back on it, the idea of Medusa nicking the book doesn't make much sense, I can see why it would have appeared a reasonable solution. We know the witch experiments, and to the readers as much as Kid she's known to be a serious problem. And if a school-girl can get hold of a manuscript of something like that, why not a witch who's lied her way into the school?

I liked Maka's brief attempt at telling Shinigami not to blame Spirit (because she wants to take responsibility?) only for him to point out that, no, it was Spirit's fault too. Shouldn't get nagged into that sort of thing, mate. Although the librarian needs to pay attention to the rules. Kid has a reason for being allowed the level 4 books, Maka had an ID that clearly doesn't belong to her.

I found the black blood dress neat because Soul insists that he doesn't see Maka as cute or the like (the wings incident somewhat implies, yes, this is his actual opinion at the moment; she's no angel to him)...and yet his mind somehow created this extremely pretty outfit for her.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 17:43   Link #1778
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Having now actually read the scanlation that turned up on the LJ (!), the one in the book describes Kid as a 'fragment', and the Index refers to the 'madness of the rule of law' in relation to Kid. I think that Shinigami's aspect is Order and that applies by extension to Kid as well. Order is the one that he 'knows' because he is consumed by it.

I think the use of fragment (in that particular translation) means just as it appears - Shinigami and Kid are part of the same thing, it's just that Kid's compulsion to enforce order is much more intense than his father's seems to be. Shinigami has his own kind of order - it's what Shibusen does for a start - but apparently Kid got an overdose of it when he was...created. Or whathaveyou.
Lol... That's better. x'D
Good to have ya on board. :P

But what exactly do you mean with: "Order is the one that he 'knows' because he is consumed by it. "?

I like the idea that Shinigami and Kid were originally a separate being. That is using 2 fragments of himself to slowly rid himself of unwanted qualities like seal keeping Shinigami from leaving Death City for example.

Quote:
Terror seems to fit Asura, as what little we know of him suggests he's motivated by his fear rather than some inherent desire to inflict chaos. It's just that chaos seems to be the outcome of his reactions. It would very much make sense considering how many times over-coming fear has allowed various characters to succeed. For example, it's the basis of Soul and Maka's combat). Yet he is also associated with chaos, it's in the definition of Kishin, which puts this into question.
All Asura has been doing since he was ressurected was hiding. I kinda dislike everyone blaming everything on him. It's not like he can help having that kinda of effect on others by simply existing. It's not like he wants to rule the world, cause harm to others or something. He just wants to be left alone so he doesn't have anything to fear. So far the only damage he has done was collateral. In Death City, but that was only because Shinigami blocked those beams of his into some houses, Aranchne's awakening and the Clown's actions.

Quote:
While looking back on it, the idea of Medusa nicking the book doesn't make much sense, I can see why it would have appeared a reasonable solution. We know the witch experiments, and to the readers as much as Kid she's known to be a serious problem. And if a school-girl can get hold of a manuscript of something like that, why not a witch who's lied her way into the school?
Dunno but I don't think she had the clearance to go to level 4 and didn't know about the manuscript. But since she is interested in Eibon's work there was a slight chance that she took it... To further her future plans.

Quote:
I liked Maka's brief attempt at telling Shinigami not to blame Spirit (because she wants to take responsibility?) only for him to point out that, no, it was Spirit's fault too. Shouldn't get nagged into that sort of thing, mate. Although the librarian needs to pay attention to the rules. Kid has a reason for being allowed the level 4 books, Maka had an ID that clearly doesn't belong to her.
I'm shure all she had to tell him was that Death Scythe sent her to fetch a book. I never thought the day would come that Maka would stand up for her father. She does love him after all. -shot-

Quote:
I found the black blood dress neat because Soul insists that he doesn't see Maka as cute or the like (the wings incident somewhat implies, yes, this is his actual opinion at the moment; she's no angel to him)...and yet his mind somehow created this extremely pretty outfit for her.
Don't get me wrong, I luv the Black Blood Dress. I just think that a thing like that dress would restrict her movements, is all. Not to mention the high heels. I like think there was a reason everyone took the time to change into their normal clothes before they went after Medusa to stop her from resurrecting the Kishin.
I'LL SAY IT AGAIN THOUGH. THE BLACK BLOOD DRESS IS MADE OF WIN.
The way Soul dresses (as a girl) reminded me of that.
Old 2010-03-18, 18:32   Link #1779
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Quote:
Don't read this if me d'awwing over Maka and Soul isn't what you want to read:
Definitely one of the defining characteristics of Soul and Maka's relationship (Aww.)
She wishes he would show feelings for her, even implying she'd rather have him like Ox. Ox seemed to me to be a bit of a creeper for a while. I wonder if she'd really like him more if he were less like his cool self? I'd like to think not.
Some moments make me think that deep down, Soul and Maka have one of the strongest relationships. The incidents that stand out the most to me are when Soul was able to save Maka from the Clown and the events after the Spider Queen room was opened. Even when Maka had Soul use the Black Blood to help them against Chrona served a purpose.
Old 2010-03-18, 18:43   Link #1780
lmd_84

@ - Repelsteeltju Oh, the dress should have impeded movement. But Okubo's never let a simple thing like practicality get in the way of what looks cool.

The scene where they all change is awesome. There's a sense of everyone gearing up for battle, plus that page just looks fantastic. Particularly when coloured well.

"Order is the one that he 'knows' because he is consumed by it. "?

I was going to say that the ink-thing was referring to Kid's order obsession because he then mentions it in his rundown of the aspects of the Great Old Ones (Order, Knowledge, Power, Rage, Terror) and it would make sense. Yet if we take that Shinigami represents 'order', then that makes no sense because he is mentioned separately to the One the ink-thing claims Kid 'knows'. Shame, I liked that idea briefly. Anyway. (It also describes it as 'whom' not 'of which you know'. So, yeah...)

I wonder if we have another indication, though. The Index refers to Kid's desire to reorganise the book as "expected...the madness known as the rule of law".

The results of Kid's misguided attempts to impose what he sees as rules are, shall we say, well-documented. His behaviour can very easily be seen as chaotic and mad - not through the 'rule of law' itself, but how far it dominates his actions and mindset. It's his idea of the law taken to an illogical, chaotic extreme.

@Orangejellosphere - It's not just the wing thing, but how they react once Gopher turns up. They'll disagree about little things, but once something major turns up they work together now without question, such is the connection they seem to have (in my mind it doesn't matter whether it's romantic or not). They wouldn't have found the solutions they did how they did without it. the Clown chapters clinched it for me - can't see anything disrupting their soul resonance easily any time soon, whatever disagreements might be on the surface. It's like Soul said in the first chapter, it's the soul that matters. Oh, look, you've made me all sentimental about a pairing I...supposedly have no attachment to.

Though I'll admit Soul not being honest with Maka will likely lead to problems down the line. The 'mutual image' thing when they were learning to fly said a lot (gee, soul resonance is handy imagery); they need to understand one another. And if neither are forthcoming about what they actually think of one another, they might end up in a situation which affects their combat (see, London Bridge, except on a bigger and more serious scale). Soul has the particular problem of his self-confidence issues, which turned up when they fought Gopher but his manner was not noticed by Maka. She's doubted herself before, and his reaction allowed to get through it (the Clown), and I think Maka will need to do something similar for him before long.

Last edited by lmd_84; 2010-03-18 at 18:56.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen