AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2005-01-04, 00:14   Link #1
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Neji's eyesight. It's not 359 degrees.

I don't see how Neji's eyesight could be measured in degrees. Neji has full 360 degrees but with a small blind spot. I see everyone saying how Neji can't see directly behind him or some crap like that, but it's not true. If Neji was trapped in a ball, he would be able to see the entire ball clearly except for one small, circular portion of it where his blind spot is.

Just trying to clear some things up.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Bflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 01:57   Link #2
Ke0

Send a message via AIM to Ke0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflip
I don't see how Neji's eyesight could be measured in degrees. Neji has full 360 degrees but with a small blind spot. I see everyone saying how Neji can't see directly behind him or some crap like that, but it's not true. If Neji was trapped in a ball, he would be able to see the entire ball clearly except for one small, circular portion of it where his blind spot is.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If he has a blind spot, then he doesn't have 360 degree vision.
Ke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 02:02   Link #3
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
If he has a blind spot, then he doesn't have 360 degree vision.
He can see directly behind him. That's 360, wouldn't it be?
Old 2005-01-04, 02:06   Link #4
DracoBattousai
Within the Shadows

Yes, Neji's vision is only 359 degrees. He can't see the final portion of the circle which is directly behind him. That whole point is blank for him.
DracoBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 02:11   Link #5
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoBattousai
Yes, Neji's vision is only 359 degrees. He can't see the final portion of the circle which is directly behind him. That whole point is blank for him.
So you're saying like a piece of a pie (Neji's eyesight) is missing (where Neji can't see)?

If so, that's not true.
Old 2005-01-04, 02:14   Link #6
DracoBattousai
Within the Shadows

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, he can't see one point, and it's directly behind him, 180 degrees from between his eyes. If you've read the manga, then it says so, and being as I don't watch the anime, I have no idea were it's at, but it'll eventually (if it hasn't already) say it in that as well.
DracoBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 02:14   Link #7
Ke0

Send a message via AIM to Ke0
Quote:
So you're saying like a piece of a pie (Neji's eyesight) is missing (where Neji can't see)?

If so, that's not true.

Actually it is true, as they even show it in the manga, they show where Neji can't see (right behind him) the area gets wider the further away it gets from Neji, it makes a small pie slice, If you overlay a circle over that, you'll see that Neji doesn't have 360 vision
Ke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 02:19   Link #8
Shrimpusmaximus

A sphere is composed of one circle rotated around a point that is also its center. A measurement of location on a circle is the degree. Each degree is defined as 1 360th of a circle. This is not logical, however it is defined as such. Thus a 1 degree blind spot on a sphere would be a circle 1 degree in diameter perched on the surface of the sphere. If the sphere was compressed to infentesimal radius then slowly expanded to a range of 50 m, the 1 degree circle on its surface would describe a slowly expanding cone. Thus the blind spot.

The flaw you have picked up on is the fact that there is no defined method of describing area on the surface of a circle, that is readily available to the average joe. Me being one of them. Thus for those of us smart enough we make the afore described leap of logic. For the less intellegent among us, the description is merely looked at like a cirle with a spot missing. For those some where inbetween the whole thing makes no sense.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 02:55   Link #9
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Isn't this spoiler material??
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 03:04   Link #10
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpusmaximus
A sphere is composed of one circle rotated around a point that is also its center. A measurement of location on a circle is the degree. Each degree is defined as 1 360th of a circle. This is not logical, however it is defined as such. Thus a 1 degree blind spot on a sphere would be a circle 1 degree in diameter perched on the surface of the sphere. If the sphere was compressed to infentesimal radius then slowly expanded to a range of 50 m, the 1 degree circle on its surface would describe a slowly expanding cone. Thus the blind spot.
So circles are called degrees on spheres? If so, then I'm wrong. But I have never heard of a sphere having degrees.

I don't know why manga readers didn't see the picture of Neji's eyesight that showed a circle (blindspot) going off into the distance diagonally (allowing him to see like 9/10 of what's directly behind him).

Oh, and that pie example. It would be like that, but not from top to bottom view. It would be like that from the side view.

Spoiler for Picture of Neji's Blindspot from the manga:
Old 2005-01-04, 08:03   Link #11
yhrt98

Steradian

The steradian (symbolized sr) is the Standard International (SI) unit of solid angular measure. There are 4 pi, or approximately 12.5664, steradians in a complete sphere.

A steradian is defined as conical in shape, as shown in the illustration. Point P represents the center of the sphere. The solid (conical) angle q, representing one steradian, is such that the area A of the subtended portion of the sphere is equal to r2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

A general sense of the steradian can be envisioned by considering a sphere whose radius is one meter (r = 1m). Imagine a cone with its apex P at the center of the sphere, and that intersects the surface in a circle (shown as a red ellipse, the upper half of which is dashed). Suppose the flare angle q of the cone is such that the area A of the spherical segment within the circle is equal to one meter squared (A = 1 m2). Then the flare angle of the cone is equal to 1 steradian (q = 1 sr). The total surface area of the sphere is, in this case, 12.5664 square meters (4 pi times the square of the radius).

Based on the foregoing example, the geometry of which is independent of scale, it can be said that a solid angle of 1 sr encompasses about 1/12.5664, or 7.9577 percent, of the space surrounding a point.

The number of steradians in a given solid angle can be determined by dividing the area on the surface of a sphere lying within the intersection of that solid angle with the surface of the sphere (when the focus of the solid angle is located at the center of the sphere) by the square of the radius of the sphere.

The above definition came from techtarget.com.
yhrt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 11:33   Link #12
lotus_lee

Lol, show offs. I know you are supposed to use full English here in the forum but using stuff that those without a Mathematics degree won't understand is a bit too much ain't it?
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 12:05   Link #13
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

yhrt98 That's just fantastic but has little to do with the question.

It's just a fact that he has a small blind spot. It was never specified in the Manga that Neji has 360 - 1 degrees of sight but it's just easy to call it that.

Wheteter its a little over 1 degree or under doesn't matter. We all know what it means.
Old 2005-01-04, 12:42   Link #14
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
yhrt98 That's just fantastic but has little to do with the question.
hehe...

I take yhrt98 simply forgot to add the conclusion, which is Neji's blind spot is immediately behind p (given Neji stands on p) and further the target is away from p, better the chance for Neji to notice the target.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 13:06   Link #15
Shrimpusmaximus

In response to those that have been nitpicking about the degrees thing. I already said that it was insufficient to describe the phenomena. THus the steridian system, a system that I alluded to not knowing. As to 359° I think it was mentioned once or twice by Ten ten. HOwever one can think of this in degrees if they think of an circle with 1/360 of its circumferance missing, rotated around the line that is formed by the focus of the circle and the point in the dead center of the gap. I hope its clearer now what I said in my first post.

And yes there is a picture, and yes it is exactly described by this. There are of course scale problems but unless those were there I would be very disturbed.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 17:55   Link #16
Zek
Eyebrows...

I don't think degree measurements can be applied to spheres, so the argument is pretty much meaningless.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:37   Link #17
Tsukuyomi
Crazed Obsessive Otaku

yeah this is really because the topic starter is confusing blind spot with circle
o.o
Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:46   Link #18
qball8001

Send a message via AIM to qball8001 Send a message via Yahoo to qball8001
My Head is spinning, no pun intended. I thought you could apply degrees to spheres?
qball8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:53   Link #19
Trebor

I think the problem here is that some people don't understand the concept of degrees, and then some people got too mathematical on it. Let me boil this down.

DEGREES: Applies to circles and spheres.

360 Degrees: Front, Back, Top, Bottom, Diagonal, and EVERY SINGLE DIRECTION YOU CAN POSSIBLY CONCEIVE OF.

359 Degrees as applies to Naruto: Probably not mathematically accurate, but it means that Neji can see in all directions, except for one tiny sliver. May or may not be exactly 359 degrees, mathematically speaking, but it stands for super high degree of vision with a miniscule, normally insignificant blind spot
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 21:21   Link #20
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
All correct except Neji doesn't have 360 vision. The small blindspot means just that ... it's not a perfect 360

The anime has been hinting that he's not perfect for a while too ... the whole birdcount scene with Tenten.

I don't think that Neji knew about his blindspot before the spiderman fight anyway. A slight headshift would reveal what's in the blindspot because the blindspot shifts around. If he would just keep moving around it would become much harder to get him there ... unless ofcourse Neji thought his vision was perfect and stood still for too long facing the same direction.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote