AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-30, 14:19   Link #21
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Itsuki :
1) sounds serious / dramatic oO
2) completely missed the scene just like skane pointed earlier.
3) flat -_-
4) my choice (lacks a bit of itsuki's enthousiasm though)
5) while this one is nice, several parts are wrong to me (you feel the dubber was a bit exegarating his speech. i thought the guy was snubbing or something... geh...) and he is utterly too old... (i thought that guy was dubbing a 20 years' old itsuki -_- )

Mikuru (this WILL be hard...)
1) scary...
2) this one wins by default... could be way better but, it's the best among the 4.
3) like deathkillz said : old.
4) strident, my ears hurt...

Yuki (shouldn't be that hard) :
1) good performance
2) accent, variable voice tone => fail.
3) i liked the tone, but too old...
4) that one is a joke right? missed completely the boat.

i'm ready for some butchered AV dub for haruhi and kyon (ho boy... i doubt any of the kyon sample will have the required amount of sarcasm...which is the true essence of kyon... no, the narration itself ! >_<)
Old 2006-12-30, 14:21   Link #22
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Going with the flow, I voted #5 for Itsuki. Smooth, smug, and least mangling of "Haruhi". I couldn't believe that it was tied with #1, though-- #1 doesn't have any energy.
Old 2006-12-30, 15:07   Link #23
onepiecelover

NOOOOOOO they are going to screw up this wonderful anime in English so bad =/
Old 2006-12-30, 15:20   Link #24
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiecelover View Post
NOOOOOOO they are going to screw up this wonderful anime in English so bad =/

Trust me, French had it worse. The two only french dubs I remember being good are Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2006-12-30, 15:53   Link #25
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Some people have been complaining about none of them being great, but I thought #5 absolutely nailed it. A better fit than any of Mikuru's or Yuki's, anyway.
Old 2006-12-30, 18:04   Link #26
JediNight
キズランダム

I voted #2 for Mikuru as well -- she had the best voice quality fitting Mikuru and wasn't overly squeeky about it. (Gotta admit that even in Japanese Mikuru has a very high voice anyways)

Yuki I chose #3 -- Both #1 and 3 had good presentation of the lines, but I felt that #3 just sounded more like Yuki.

Itsuki as everyone is saying is a hard choice. I don't think any of them were super close, but I picked #5. #1 I don't see why its getting so many votes, the voice was too high IMHO. #5 I think given a little more work can do just fine though -- he just needs to sound a bit more soft and friendly. Itsuki has a deeper voice, but he doesn't sound harsh when speaking -- if #5 is really Crispin Freeman, then he needs to shake his usual hard tone for characters. (FMA and Chrono Crusade for example)
Old 2006-12-30, 22:36   Link #27
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Geez, Itsuki's is so difficult. None of them have the same voice so I had to go by attitude. I voted for five after eliminating all the weird pronunciations of Haruhi I heard.
Old 2006-12-30, 23:03   Link #28
izzyntsherandom

One is too... serious for Itsuki. He sounds like he's sighing a lot in his lines (not breathy, more the mood of sighing), whereas Itsuki smiles all the time. (And he sounds a lot like Yuki Sohma's dub voice [Fruits Basket], or is it just me who thinks that?)
Two is too... earnest. And worried. And eager to talk. XD
Three: To me the best of a not-great-bunch, but I seem to be in a very small minority here on this ^^;. I do see why people are calling him bland, but he has the right amount of amusement in his voice when talking about how quickly Mikuru and Yuki fell in with Haruhi, and I think he said the "for now I'll give you the short version" line the best of the five too. He delivered the "sometime in the future" line well too- "well" meaning "like Koizumi in the Japanese" ^^
Four: Very fast! Didn't give the impression of the laidback, seemingly-carefree, constantly-smiling-with-his-eyes-closed-looking-serene ESPer we all know and love. I can't help imagining Kyon making "internal" comments about his speed of talking >_< (Plus, "Haruwi"? Or was it "HaruWii", and someone's got Nintendo on the brain? XD)
Five: too old-sounding- his voice is too deep, or rich, or maybe it's the precise quality of the American accent, but he does sound too old for the part. However, he's got the carefree angle down, but I'm not getting much of a "mysterious" vibe, and... it's more "careless" rather than "carefree". I dunno, it just doesn't sit right. And as has been said above, he has that "smug confidence" sound about him, but it's too in-your-face to me. To me, Itsuki's always seemed like quite a subtle character in his own way- certainly more subtle than this.

One thing that I've always noticed about Itsuki's voice is that he sounds perpetually slightly amused. That's what stands out most to me, and I think 3 captured that element of him best. Hence why I voted for him. ^^

Mikuru: voted 2; the best, and a good voice for her I feel. Very true to the Japanese, especially compared to the others. 3, as has been said, was too old; 4 was a little pouty/whiny; and is it just me or is 1 Hilary Haag? She sounds very like Megumi in RahXephon to me...

Yuki: voted 3. Two is too sleepy/floaty/something, 4 sounds too "human"- as in, like a normal human character- 1 falls down mostly in the way she says "ordinary humans like you"... There's too much variation in the tone of her voice. Having said that, 3 sounds a little too robotic- just a little, but it's there. Still, 3 is my favourite Nagato voice, with 1 being second.
Old 2006-12-31, 03:06   Link #29
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

And now... Kyon's voice. That's where the hard part begins.

Voice 1 is just nothing.
Voice 2 is good, but nothing compared to Sugita-san's voice, really.
Voice 3, 4 and 5 (especially 5) have no relation to Kyon's character.

I voted for the second one, but it's just better than the others, not really that good.
Old 2006-12-31, 03:14   Link #30
aegismode

Kyon's voice... #2 by far. It matched Kyon best I thought. All other put too much breathiness into it and that's not very Kyon-like. Far from perfect, but I think I'm able to watch the series with this Kyon voice. With all others I find myself trying to turn it off as soon as I'm done with the first sentence.

Funny this wasn't hard at all. I thought Yuki's was much harder to decide.
Old 2006-12-31, 03:18   Link #31
Senovit
Murk Loar
*Graphic Designer

1: i imagine kyon's voice to be a bit deeper than that, but not a bad voice
2: kind of gaspy at first, although the second half is pretty good
3: ewwww x_x
4: too slow in my opinion, doesn't really seem to be kyon
5: it's like he's not even trying x_x

sigh.. none really seem to match kyon very well, but my vote's for 1, he seems to be the closest to matching kyon's japanese voice
Old 2006-12-31, 03:45   Link #32
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Wow... I wasn't expecting the No.2 choice to be so far in the lead. I voted for the first one.

1) To me, this felt the most natural. When Kyon is narrating in the series, he is talking to the viewer and thus he needs to have clarity in his narration. His in-anime speech needs some working, but from what I hear from this clip, I am willing to give him a chance.

2) His in-anime speech is good, but his narration is poor. A huge bulk of Kyon's dialogue is in the form of narration, and if I have to plant my ears to the speakers in order to hear him, I think that is not quite right.

3) Zzz... bad acting. They probably inserted him into this audition out of pity or something.

4) A bit... too dramatic. The voice is good, but wrong for Kyon. Kyon is more of a nonchalant character( although he secret desires extraordinary events) and the voice has to reflect that.

5) Ironically, he has a narrator's voice, but the wrong kind. He's the kind of narrator that is supposed to be a disembodied voice, and not an actual character.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-31, 05:36   Link #33
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

uh oh, I wonder what that
means.....maybe we finally get tohear Haruhi's VA candidate
in the polls.....
but as for the recent candidatesfor Kyon's VA none of them were close to his tone....except maybe for no. tw

Last edited by Ultima_Rasengan05; 2006-12-31 at 05:52.
Old 2006-12-31, 06:47   Link #34
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
kyon ~

1) i like this one ~ like skane said its more "natural" in a way
2) well he doesnt seem to be "narrating" like kyon...more like talking to someone else to me ~ but atill hes good
3) really bad...no emotion at all! T_T sounds like hes being forced to say those lines
4) over the top and doesnt fit kyon...hes more of a sloth type to be someone so energetic
5) FAIL!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-31, 07:27   Link #35
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hey, isn't #5 the guy in the video promo in the website?
Old 2006-12-31, 08:49   Link #36
Bloodseeker

Mikuru: All of the voices are too high piched to sound natural in English... You can make a girl sound sweet without giving them that kind of voice!

Yuki: #1. #2 is terrible.

Itsuki: #1, I guess.

Kyon: No preference.
Old 2006-12-31, 09:42   Link #37
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Mikuru : 2
Yuki : 3 but 1 is dragging kyon >_<
Itsuki : 5
Kyon : 2
Old 2006-12-31, 09:47   Link #38
typhonsentra

Kyon 5 sounds like he recited his lines into a cheap PC mic.
Old 2006-12-31, 09:58   Link #39
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

kyon
1) to me, the narration failed. While it fits an usual narration, it doesn't really suit kyon, because you kinda don't really sense what kyons is feeling. and weirdly enough, i almost didn't feel any difference between the narration and "in anime" speeches.

2) WINS ! i really liked the narration (unlike the previous one, you do feel kyon's puzzled sensation, along with some boredom)

3) what the..? did he acted flat like that on purpose? -_-"

4) just like skane said... that guy spoke like... he was dramatic and even panicked (especially the "why?!" , while kyon is supposed to be puzzled, but annoyed, not stressed)

5) This is even worse... not only it doesn't fit kyon, but it's rather opposite to his manner of speaking.
Old 2006-12-31, 10:33   Link #40
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

"English Adaptation by ___Proper Noun___
Co-Produced by ___Proper Noun___ in association with ___Proper Noun__"
Closed Thread