AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-05, 06:14   Link #141
kalbron

That's a point.

Since anime/manga is essentially a form of escapisism you'd likely expect a greater number of hot blooded GAR protagonists considering the comparative repressive culture that Japan has compared with the West.
Old 2009-08-05, 07:59   Link #142
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
We have quite a few Japanese and Chinese students come to my work at one of the local airports who are training to fly before returning to their home countries, and though they are extremely respectful and well-mannered, I have noticed that every single one of them has been very reserved and soft-spoken. Though it's a welcome change from many self-centered people that were born here, it would be nice to see some fire from them.
How do I explain this.

Well, they are soft spoken because of several reasons. One being their inability to comprehend the language very well, second being the fact that they simply don't know you all that well. This is a process of testing the limits.

All you have to do, is give them something to drink and up to a certain point, they will reveal their true colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
comparative repressive culture that Japan has compared with the West.
Japanese culture is not repressive, it is just different. A repressive culture is like the society of Islamic extremists, that is repressive. As for the amount of gar characters in manga? That highly depends. Anyway, the shonen genre often revolve around the concept of friendship, courage, and hardworking, so you can't really just be 'gar'. You have to grow up, too.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-06, 11:01   Link #143
Velsy

Maybe I havent fully understood these claims well. But what makes Welkin a wimp, coward or the such ?.

If it's because Alicia or Faldio, I just going to laugh at it.

Been giving this subject a little thought. Somehow the description I get from the game Welkin reminds me of Kamina from TTGL (hes one of my most fav chars in anime) . Hes what I consider a true champion. Inspiring if I say that much. If I was to use Kamina as an example. I can see why alot of you will be upset with the change in Welkin from what he was in game. If kamina was changed into a character that was paitent, more thoughtful and careful or more causious, it would be not the kamina I remembered. But like a new person. Because its like a whole new personality in an extent. If this is the answer, well I sorta why alot of people are upset. But I still beleive calling him a retart and a wimp is an exageration. I wouldnt call Kamina a retart if they did the same thing with him, it just be a different kamina. Sure I wouldnt be that happy, cause I did loved him the way he is.

Do I have to remind yous of the episode when Alicia and Faldio got trapped under the collasp temple. Do you remember his facial expressions when he realized there wasnt much time. It was like a *situation Critical* moment. Was he the wimp, or retart you call him at that moment when something needed to be done ? It seems he does know when to act when the situation needs it. Lives were at stake !

Now I dont tell anyone to like or dislike, but give him a break. Hes human like everyone else. Not some super soldier that can woe the ladies.

oh and I up to ep 16, thats how far I've seen welkin

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2009-08-06 at 11:32.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:32   Link #144
kalbron

You do realise that being burried in the ruins was plot induced stupidity don't you?

They stood around in the same spot for a large period of time so that Max could leave, get in his tank, drive a fair distance away, then shell the place.

If the only example you can bring up of Welkin "getting things done" is as a result of them all standing around like drooling idiots - they didn't even get Faldio to learn anything from the ruins during that time period for crying out loud - then it is nothing more than an outlier in the trend of anime!Welkin being an idiot of epic proportions.
Old 2009-08-08, 10:20   Link #145
Neku
yare yare..

Let me be straight. I couldn't watch the first few episodes because Welkin seem so... out of character. I am aware that there will be differences between in-game Welkin, and him in anime. I didn't like his character at all. Plus his design in anime makes him look really fat and bulky. Sucks.

But I have carried on downloading because I'm sure I would watch it someday. Couldn't resist watching the later episodes though - I watched from 14 onwards till now - 18. Episode 18 is where I took a different perspective on him; he really had it hard, and I'm actually glad the anime is trying to make him look strong.

But somehow, that feeling faded away again when he did not break his stance to Alicia, but to Faldio. He radiates the fact that he's trying to be strong, but also the fact that if he wants to be strong, he has to be ignorant. He ends up being a very weak person in the end to me.

Good news is... I don't like Faldio one bit =P
So yeah, I'll still be rooting for him. Lol.
Old 2009-08-10, 15:57   Link #146
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Let's hope Welkin stops being such a bad leader in the anime and at least come close to his game counterpart. The anime Welkin is kind of a bad protagonist right now if you ask me, I prefer Faldio than Welkin but I haven't lost hope on Welkin yet.
Old 2009-09-04, 03:30   Link #147
MagicHat

Could use a bit more eccentricity thrown in in later chapters. Intelligent, a good leader, one or two times think the animie guy could be better
Spoiler for early on:
but overall, think he comes across as a nice guy
Old 2009-09-09, 12:57   Link #148
reaper_unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkark07 View Post
Let's hope Welkin stops being such a bad leader in the anime and at least come close to his game counterpart. The anime Welkin is kind of a bad protagonist right now if you ask me, I prefer Faldio than Welkin but I haven't lost hope on Welkin yet.
you do realize there are only 3 episodes left. After Alicia and welkin got things straight I had some hope, but now...(god I'm having this terible feeling again had it with Code Geass as well, why.WHY!?)

Welkin should have shot the tires of the car were Alicia was in and beat the crap out of that fat pig. Welkin is way to weak.Basicly a complete fucking idiot who is a total failure with little or no good qualities.

BUT even so, I still have a flicker of hope, who knows, right(I know I'm lying to myself T_T) ?
Old 2009-09-09, 13:09   Link #149
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Although the punch he landed on that c*** of army officer was well-deserved, I must say I was hoping we heard Welkin sent the army officer to hospital while sustaining a few bruises instead of the exact opposite.
Old 2009-09-15, 02:35   Link #150
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Although the punch he landed on that c*** of army officer was well-deserved, I must say I was hoping we heard Welkin sent the army officer to hospital while sustaining a few bruises instead of the exact opposite.
I also think that Welkin getting beaten up after slugging the army guy doesn't sound too admirable. Though it's better than not doing anything at all after hearing him bad mouth Alicia.
Old 2009-09-15, 07:49   Link #151
kanon78
Confederate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper_unique View Post
you do realize there are only 3 episodes left. After Alicia and welkin got things straight I had some hope, but now...(god I'm having this terible feeling again had it with Code Geass as well, why.WHY!?)

Welkin should have shot the tires of the car were Alicia was in and beat the crap out of that fat pig. Welkin is way to weak.Basicly a complete fucking idiot who is a total failure with little or no good qualities.

BUT even so, I still have a flicker of hope, who knows, right(I know I'm lying to myself T_T) ?
I feel the same way and also wanted Welkin to "take" Alicia back (as soon as possible) from Damon's clutches who obviously just wants to use her (powers) on the front/battlefield and throw her away when the job is done (like launching a WMD).
But If he had really shot the tires of the generals car in a military convoy heading to battle on the front wouldn't that be high treason or at least "cowardice in the face of the enemy" according to the rules of engagement of any army?
That means that Welkin would have been (speed)trialed and shot/hanged on the spot for this severe breach of military conduct in war time.
Old 2009-09-16, 07:40   Link #152
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanon78 View Post
I feel the same way and also wanted Welkin to "take" Alicia back (as soon as possible) from Damon's clutches who obviously just wants to use her (powers) on the front/battlefield and throw her away when the job is done (like launching a WMD).
But If he had really shot the tires of the generals car in a military convoy heading to battle on the front wouldn't that be high treason or at least "cowardice in the face of the enemy" according to the rules of engagement of any army?
That means that Welkin would have been (speed)trialed and shot/hanged on the spot for this severe breach of military conduct in war time.
Faldio would take the blame and they would not do anything. I mean Faldio already pointed a gun at the head of the country without an serious consequences. Killing one general would not be a big deal either.
Old 2009-09-16, 11:27   Link #153
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, it would be big, because in contrast with the queen Damon wouldn't be as kind to forget this and do everything to not let him punished. Probably he would do the exact opposite.
But still, Welkin in the anime really is lacking in guts. He's somehow passive and even prone to be emo.
In contrast Faldio was made more of a good and caring person than he really was in the game.
Old 2009-09-17, 00:12   Link #154
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
But still, Welkin in the anime really is lacking in guts. He's somehow passive and even prone to be emo.
I don't think he is "emo", he is just a non-character. The impression I get is of a typical nobody from a harem anime who got written into the wrong show.
Old 2009-09-17, 00:18   Link #155
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Faldio would take the blame and they would not do anything. I mean Faldio already pointed a gun at the head of the country without an serious consequences. Killing one general would not be a big deal either.
That about Faldio is totally wrong. He was taken under arrest but has been pardoned because he has saved the complete army from being wiped out of the scene.
Old 2009-09-17, 06:46   Link #156
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
That about Faldio is totally wrong. He was taken under arrest but has been pardoned because he has saved the complete army from being wiped out of the scene.
He didn't save anyone. Alicia did. Never forget that.

Old 2009-09-17, 11:39   Link #157
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
He fucking threatened to the head of a country. Are you at least capable to comprehend that? NO matter, what the circumstances and what results are there is no way one would be pardoned just like that.

Result does not justify the means, you should be grown up enough to understand that. Means are sometimes even more important than the result.
Old 2009-09-17, 11:43   Link #158
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
He didn't save anyone. Alicia did. Never forget that.
Well, without him doing it to Alicia she would not have awakened. Don' t forget that too... I didn't forget the part of Alicia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
He fucking threatened to the head of a country. Are you at least capable to comprehend that? NO matter, what the circumstances and what results are there is no way one would be pardoned just like that.

Result does not justify the means, you should be grown up enough to understand that. Means are sometimes even more important than the result.
Look at the scene again. Do you think Cordelia would have played the game if he had not asked her to trust his actions? Funny that she did not say not to listen to him and ordered to kill Faldio. Therefore results overshadows his actions.

We can discuss this again and again but this has nothing do to with Welkin.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-09-17 at 12:04.
Old 2009-09-17, 12:51   Link #159
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Yeah...
Faldio's situation was quite special:
1.)She shot Alicia without anyone nearby. And Alicia and anyone knew his deed kept it secret.
2.)Cordelia is a good natured person and she understood the situation well.
3.)Later Cordelia herself protected him from the charges. And the results of his actions proved it. If he used a less agressive method he would've been promoted for sure. I know Alicia saved the day, but without Faldio's revelation it is meaningless.

Now back to the theread. What do you think if Welkin did the same with Damon or any higher-up to save Alicia. Firstly it would be more agressive and hardly taken as a good thing by them. Secondly, I doubt Damon is a good person.

But Welkin could've done something other. To save Alicia it doesn't mean you have to save her while you're fighting with the higher-ups face-to-face. Welkin is a brilliant strategist and a crafty tactician. He may have managed to save Alicia without the risk of being court martialed
But our Welkin was passive and deep in sadness. That's one of the reasons why he's somehow pitifull compared to his game version.
Closed Thread