AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10: Amazing... 33 37.50%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 23 26.14%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 17 19.32%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 11.36%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 1.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 4 4.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-01, 07:48   Link #161
Ypocaramel

I think the battle went (for the record)

Mobile Suit <W-Reg Mix> - Mobile Armor - Mad-Nug
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 19:22   Link #162
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Poor Marida, hope she can overcome whatever past and reconditioning she had done to her. THe Banshee looked awesome though.

Nice to see Bright, i loled when he had a picture of Amuro hanging in his room.

The action was really good. Like how the old Zeon suits came out of hiding. Kirks was a cool guy, like how he was sniping from i nthe air. Too bad Loni got taken out.

How dare Ridhe try and marry Mineva, glad she left. Too bad she got captured again.

There really wasn't much of a movement in dealing with Laplace's box. Banagher was just crying all the time though i can understand it. Like how he punched out the Captain though.
Old 2011-12-04, 02:58   Link #163
WhiteWings

Out of all the primary protagonist pilots in UC universe he does seem to be most balanced relatively speaking. Doesn't spend too much time being emo... again relatively speaking. Well there's still more than enough time for him to follow the tradition.

If the Laplace Box turned out to me merely something symbolic I am going to see ******. I hope it turns out to be something like a FTL drive or something.
Old 2011-12-04, 07:13   Link #164
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Poor Marida, hope she can overcome whatever past and reconditioning she had done to her. THe Banshee looked awesome though.

The action was really good. Like how the old Zeon suits came out of hiding. Kirks was a cool guy, like how he was sniping from i nthe air. Too bad Loni got taken out.

How dare Ridhe try and marry Mineva, glad she left. Too bad she got captured again.

There really wasn't much of a movement in dealing with Laplace's box. Banagher was just crying all the time though i can understand it. Like how he punched out the Captain though.
bad move. too bad Mineva met Banagher first
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 01:34   Link #165
Prince of Chips
Real Madrid member

One single episode of unicorn totally destroyed the entire gundam age series so far
Prince of Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 03:54   Link #166
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chips View Post
One single episode of unicorn totally destroyed the entire gundam age series so far
Dude, there are 41 episodes to go, 41 episodes of opportunities to improve. Unicorn only has 6 OVAs, and thus obviously must impress.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 04:25   Link #167
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chips View Post
Apples and oranges, dude. Apples and oranges.

That said, I do wish they'd grow more apples than oranges...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 03:03   Link #168
OrtadragoonX

I'm new here; I streamed ep. 4.

It's my least favorite episode thus far from a story development standpoint. I haven't read the novels, but even then I could tell this episode was condensed and rushed. I imagine the novel went into much more detail with some of the "talkie" scenes. The only "talkie" scenes I really enjoyed was the one between Mineva and the bartender, along with the discussion between Loni and Banagher at the end.

I'm a history buff, and Unicorn is showing some interesting takes on actual historical events and social discussions. The discussion between Banagher and Loni I believe is a take on the aspect of child soldiers during various conflicts of the 20th century, especially those during World War II in Germany and Eastern Europe. In Germany at the end of the war, kids as young as 12 (both boys and girls) were being conscripted into military service, especially during the Battle in Berlin. You see, in Nazi Germany, the government essentially waged a campaign to replace parents as the symbol of moral guidance for young people. This can be seen in the Hitler Youth group, as well as the various female groups that were formed alongside it (this isn't talked about much anymore, though).

In this episode, Loni states that children have a responsibility to live up to the expectations of their parents, as they owe them for giving them life. This is a direct parallel, IMO, to Nazi Germany. As the govt. attempted to place itself in the young people's lives as their moral compass and guide, the state naturally expected these kids to fulfill their obligation as, in a sense, the govt. gave them life; through youth groups, these kids came to view the Nazis and Hitler in particular as heroes for giving them purpose in the world. As surrogate parents. This made these kids fight to the death; American soldiers often commented that the coldest, most hardened soldiers in western Germany at the end of the war were the young, 16 and below.

Loni is like one of these German kids. Her parents, especially her father, were apparently incredibly loyal to the ideals of Zeon, both the positive and the negative. She feels she is obligated to continue their struggle against the "oppressors" aka the Earth Federation. She is willing to slaughter innocent civilians and kill entire Federation divisions to live up to the expectations of her father and, indirectly, the expectations of Zeon. She only realized the gross error in this view at the end. Children should not be forced to live up to their parents; they should branch out and create their own identities. If she wants to serve the ideals of Neo Zeon/Zeonic Remnants, then that's fine. But her reasons are not really just. She's doing solely out of obligation to her father. She was essentially fighting for the freedom of the spacenoids (whether Zeonism and it's child ideology Zabism is the right path is a debate for another day) but wasn't even free to make that decision herself. When she says "it's sad" she's exactly right. Children forced into combat by parents/surrogate parents is probably the saddest thing in the world. And it happens to this day in Africa and South East Asia.

I may be looking too deep into this, though. It's just my take on it.

@ WhiteWings

I disagree, I honestly think Kamille was more emotionally balanced after the first 10 episodes of Zeta Gundam; he became pretty emotionally balanced except for a few outbursts. Once he got the Zeta Gundam, he was pretty much your average soldier dedicated to his duty. Katz replaced him at that point as the "naive" soldier, and was even scolded by Kamille himself for his unrealistic views during war. Kamille did make some stupid naive choices later in the series (such as trying to talk to ol' long blue haired girl, the one who piloted the Psycho Gundam Mk.II, not Four Murasame; I just can't think of her name right now) but overall, he's probably the most "soldier-like" of the Gundam child protagonists. Naturally, Amuro Ray was the most mature as of Char Counterattack, but he was also 29 years old at that point. Heck, post receiving Zeta Kamille was more mature about war than Shiro Amada and he was like 22 years old.

Actually, I think Riddhe in this episode is a modern interpretation for Kamille. He has idealistic views, but he's trapped in a cycle of death and war that he cannot escape. Thus, he decides to become unemotional and focus on the job of being a soldier. To follow the orders of your superiors and to detach yourself from the emotional burden of the killing you must do in battle. Banagher is still unwilling to emotionally detach himself. That's why he couldn't kill Loni, that's why he couldn't kill Marida (I love Marida to death, but had I been piloting the Unicorn I probably wouldn't have stopped due to the threat she posed to the EFF alive; personally, I'm a Zeon supporter though), and that's why he'll most likely be able to kill any other character from now on other than Full Frontal. I could see him killing Frontal, as he tried his hardest in episode 3 to kill him.

@ StikeFreedomV2

He was amazing.

I mean, it's crazy how the nameless pilots in the OVA are pure killing machines that no one can stop. Had the guy from episode 1 had a better mobile suit (the Stark Jegan wasn't bad, but the Kyshantria is probably the most powerful mobile suit developed up to that time. I can't think of another mobile suit with that kind of firepower) I honestly think he could have beat Marida even though she was a Newtype and had funnels. Say, for example he had a RX-94 Nu Gundam Mass Production Type with INCOMs, he probably would have cleaned her clock.

And this guy with the Bryalank (sp?) Custom was even more ridiculous. He was like MSG Amuro on steroids in terms of killing potential.

"Damn you to hell... SPACE BELONGS TO THE SPACENOIDS!!!"

Last edited by OrtadragoonX; 2011-12-07 at 03:50. Reason: Condensed to One Post
OrtadragoonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 03:41   Link #169
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

@OrtadragoonX: Given that you're new, I should probably tell you that your posts have "Edit" and "+ Quote" buttons for a reason. Double posts are against the rules, let alone three in a row. You should shore those three posts up into one and delete the other two.
Old 2011-12-07, 07:58   Link #170
rakusukira

Banagher and Loni's conversation near the end were the highlights of the episode.
Children should not be forced into the battlefield just because their parents are loyal to a certain state.

this is why in episode 2, particularly the hostage scene, is where i really liked Banagher as a person a lot and at the same time I grew to pity Mineva. I mean, a 16 year old girl asking a soldier to kill her because she carries the burden of her family? I mean... what the hell.. this is the level of maturity, story wise, that I like in gundam
Old 2011-12-07, 11:11   Link #171
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrtadragoonX View Post
I may be looking too deep into this, though. It's just my take on it.
Nah, the aspect of child soldiers goes waaaay back to the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam (and as you can see recurs in almost every series) so you're not wrong by any means.

Oh and if I remember correctly, MS IGLOO also has its own take of the Hitler Youth "reserves" I suppose you could call them. At the battle of A Baoa Qu, or just before it, there was a group of Zeon child soldiers, I can't remember what they were piloting though. (Plus the uniforms are a lot more nazi-fied)
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 12:02   Link #172
OrtadragoonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Nah, the aspect of child soldiers goes waaaay back to the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam (and as you can see recurs in almost every series) so you're not wrong by any means.

Oh and if I remember correctly, MS IGLOO also has its own take of the Hitler Youth "reserves" I suppose you could call them. At the battle of A Baoa Qu, or just before it, there was a group of Zeon child soldiers, I can't remember what they were piloting though. (Plus the uniforms are a lot more nazi-fied)
Yeah I remember that; the last episode of the 8th MS team dealt with that. I believe they were Newtype soldiers that were supposed to pilot planned Newtype weapons (such as the Elmeth) to turn the tide of the war back in Zeon's favor.

But, naturally, Zeon's infighting killed these plans. Kycillia favored Newtype-focused tactics, using a small number of Newtype soldiers who could use Psycommu equipped mobile weapons to devestate entire Feddy fleets in hit-and-run attacks (this was tested in the Solomon Defense Zone following Zeon's retreat from the battle and was very successful until Amuro ruined the whole plan). Dozzle favored the Mobile Armour approach, using dozens of massive Big Zam type weapons to blast a hole through Federation lines and take back the iniative in pitched combat (of which Zeon was getting devestated in). Gihren, finally, hedged his hopes on a super weapon that could go around the Anartic Treaty and wipe out the EFSF and devestate the earth.

Problem is that Zeon never had the material or finances to fund all these projects simulataneously and the spoiled brats of Degwin wouldn't give an inch, so they ended up being half-assed jobs. Kycillia never got the Newtype mobile weapons she wanted (except for the Elmeth and the Zeong; but two weapons don't win a war), Dozzle's dream of breaking through Feddy lines with mass produced Big Zams never materialized, and Gihren being the idiot that he was fired the Solar Ray prematurely and ruined it without even taking out the entire EFSF fleet.

I never understood Gihren's motivations for killing Degwin. Yes, Degwin was plotting peace negotiations, but that didn't even matter since Gihren was already the de-facto leader of Zeon and the vast majority of the fleet was loyal to him and him alone. So what if Sodo Zabi signed a peace treaty? It's not like Gihren couldn't have just said "he's the illegitmate leader of Zeon; I speak for the people" and proceeded to use the completed Solar Ray to blow the EFSF into stardust.

Old 2011-12-07, 12:30   Link #173
kakakka

Quote:
I never understood Gihren's motivations for killing Degwin.
I thought he could not care less for his father. He doesn't have any deep reason; he just used his father as a bait, so he could fire that laser and wipe half of the EF Fleet.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 23:39   Link #174
DV04

I personally just thought Gihren was just crazy since he was often referred to being the new Hitler, which he liked by the way.
DV04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 13:36   Link #175
OrtadragoonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
I thought he could not care less for his father. He doesn't have any deep reason; he just used his father as a bait, so he could fire that laser and wipe half of the EF Fleet.
True, but the better decision would have been to allow the Federal fleet to manuever into an attack position on A Baou Qu and then fired the laser to wipe out most if not all of the fleet. Plus, it would have given him extra time to finish the Solar Ray so it could be fired multiple times; after firing, they could have moved it to the moon and took out Von Braun and Granada plus whatever forces the Feddies had left in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV04 View Post
I personally just thought Gihren was just crazy since he was often referred to being the new Hitler, which he liked by the way.
He was pretty crazy, but he wasn't quite as... Stupid as Hitler. He never showed signs of mental problems, even at the end. Gihren was just delusional for the most part.

Old 2011-12-09, 23:15   Link #176
HighGuard

I've been puzzled over how the gray phantom become a zeon base. it's in bad shape for sure but apparently still partly functional so i don't understand why the feds didn't try to repair it/use it as a base much less keep an eye on it. Something that massive and rare you would think would at least garner some notice that it's now being used as a enemy base.
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 00:30   Link #177
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineCorps View Post
I've been puzzled over how the gray phantom become a zeon base. it's in bad shape for sure but apparently still partly functional so i don't understand why the feds didn't try to repair it/use it as a base much less keep an eye on it. Something that massive and rare you would think would at least garner some notice that it's now being used as a enemy base.
I would think that the Feddies are now in a chronic decline, and only groups like Londo Bell and ECOAS are worthy enough to establish some form of order both on Earth and in space, but they are too small and besides, they were not formed to hunt down those relics.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 09:50   Link #178
rakusukira

i'm very much excited to see Riddhe hating on Banagher in the next episode

more Mineva Zabi please!!
Old 2011-12-15, 17:08   Link #179
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post

Yeah totally agree with this, they did a great job building Marida in the first couple of eps so I hope they don't just waste her now in some lame overly-melodramatic death by fighting as a brainwashed soldier thing or any other plot that essentially leads to the same conclusion, especially since a similar death was played out, with a different theme ofcourse, in this ep with Loni who already made a nice impact.

The action was crazy good and the earlier post was totally on, so many nameless pilots pulling off awesome beat-downs and "oh shit, he just...damn" moves.

Well said.

Loved the ep, but like some others have said I can easily say I was quite surprised the main plot took such a massive back seat especially with merely 2 eps to go, not that it wasn't effective though since it focused on the ongoing effects of Fed v. Zeon.

The Banshee looking badass and cliffhanger that entrance.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 16:52   Link #180
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Man, I didn't notice... she WOULDN'T have killed them. She turned the reflectors around to protect the Unicorn. GODDAMN IT Riddhe!!!!!

I'm calling it: He's gonna be the biggest prick from now on.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion