Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 23:58   Link #1461
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

Some silly tourists licking a dead tuna in a fish market.

(laugh)
That is why they ban the fish markets from tourists. Licking a tuna?! How can you sell food that people have licked?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 00:45   Link #1462
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Some silly tourists licking a dead tuna in a fish market.
"Silly" isn't how I would define these moronic twits who have made it much harder for other gaijin.
Old 2009-01-27, 00:50   Link #1463
onehp
Banned

Sucks to be stereotyped when you go to Japan, then
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 00:52   Link #1464
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"Silly" isn't how I would define these moronic twits who have made it much harder for other gaijin.
Man who'd lick uncleaned tuna? Just WEIRD. Crazy people, really.
Old 2009-01-27, 04:40   Link #1465
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
idk if that is your intent but u make it seem that western cultures aren't full of shit too.....

I've been to Haiti... and they take it very seriously... not every practice it but many still fear its power, even i a very logical person would think twice before going through neighborhoods known for voodoo

even haiti would not put a goat on trial though
Which is why i said
Quote:
Uhh 'modern times' have nothing to do with cultural attitudes and beliefs of many non-western cultures.
Voodoo is a religion, it's very much actively practiced and so all the negativity that goes with it (curse, spells, poison etc) are still well and truly believed.
It's not so much the whole 'let's arrest a goat' as more the mentality of the locals thinking that witchcraft was related to the event, in this case a human has shapeshifted into an animal.
As you said yourself, you'd think twice about through a neighbourhood that practices it, my mother refuses for me to even touch the island, she's so afraid of the potential downfall i could experience over there x.x
There's two ways that goat story can be taken as a laugh.

One that people actually believe the shapeshifting fact (the mentality of the locals) or two that they've gone so far as to arrest and hold the goat prisoner.
I was stating the poss reason for the first, and making fun of the second

As for the fish licking story, please please please tell me that isn't after the recent lifting of the ban for the famous fish market. It was written that, that was partially the reason it was closed down to gaijin last year, but if idiots are licking fish again after the ban's been lifted, i wouldn't be surprised if they make the ban permanent -.-

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 08:22   Link #1466
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
)

As for the fish licking story, please please please tell me that isn't after the recent lifting of the ban for the famous fish market. It was written that, that was partially the reason it was closed down to gaijin last year, but if idiots are licking fish again after the ban's been lifted, i wouldn't be surprised if they make the ban permanent -.-
As a [at least partially] Japanese myself, I feel that opening Tsukiji isn't really that wise really. It's like opening the grounds of the TSE [Tokyo Stock Exchange] for all. It's not really safe, I've seen visitors [gaijin and even Japanese alike] obstructing the operations of Tsukiji, usually unknowingly. How the people at Tsukiji manage to put up with the visitors, I will never know.The inner market area should be restricted access, and a gallery built above the inner market for visitors. Better still, move the outer market into the gallery area... I mean, how would anyone know if one fine day, someone poisons the fish/other seafood there? After all, licking the dead fish is now not uncharted territory, anymore, I'm sure others will follow and "build upon". It's not safe, the nation relies on Tsukiji for its seafood.
Old 2009-01-27, 12:11   Link #1467
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I could not stop laughing when i read this. We all know its a delicacy in Japan but the irony of getting sick after eating fish testicles is just too funny.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28874327/
Old 2009-01-27, 12:22   Link #1468
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I could not stop laughing when i read this. We all know its a delicacy in Japan but the irony of getting sick after eating fish testicles is just too funny.

The fish that turn on human.....that is a err...outrageous & funny....
Old 2009-01-27, 12:30   Link #1469
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:

Important lesson, really: ALWAYS LOOK FOR FUGU-HANDLING LICENSE. Very important, can spell the difference between life and death.
Old 2009-01-27, 13:43   Link #1470
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The video is prior to the last ban (and is part of what led to it).

The local government wants to keep the market open for tourist money reasons. An overhead catwalk gallery would be a great idea - especially with flash-reflecting glass

People are idiots, between licking fish or not knowing how to turn off their flash.
Old 2009-01-27, 13:59   Link #1471
Seifall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
On the power, i disagree. We have the nuclear power.
On the energy area with the technology, Thales, the EPR and all, you re right.

Quote:
About the cuisine. I still believe that we have one of the best cuisine ever. And the wine of Bordeaux is still not topped imo
Well this is true. I will not deny it .

Quote:
About the universities, what do you mean by "quotas"?_?
I talked about affirmative action, and the system of French universities is sure good since everyone can study there, but this is a curse too since the school dropout at the first year is quite high...

Quote:
Imo, we are not perfect but still a big country in many aspects
Imo, yes if we compare your country to others, and no if we talk about individualism .
Quote:
I like what he is doing against the criminality, violence from the young people, and the recidivists.
Thievery is always replaced by violence against people from all age.
His government just hides it by giving you polls'results which show a decrease in an area even though the other field increased ...

Quote:
He also says that to win money, we have to work hard. And I believe it's true,
I heard about the " cadeau fiscal" he gave to the rich, some billions and less to nothing for the people who were in the need ...

And you know I do not think a gender change anything about a post,girl guy, this is the same here. Well I'm not talking about fangirls and all that's another story.

Quote:
In my case, it's 50/50 at the moment.
Let's hope he doesn't flub then/ Honetsly, since his " casse toi pauve con" I fear for him

Quote:

People shouldn't eat testicles, really, even if you will say me to try , that's good, and all, just knowing from where it comes I wouldn't be able to open my mouth ....
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 14:32   Link #1472
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
People shouldn't eat testicles, really, even if you will say me to try , that's good, and all, just knowing from where it comes I wouldn't be able to open my mouth.
It's a man thing. What, you've got no balls to try? Call yourself a man?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 14:55   Link #1473
Seifall

Eh ? ....huh..., no I do not have balls You're funny I forgive your "man ego " I hope someone will not try yours one day though, just to try....
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 16:34   Link #1474
Narona
Emotionless White Face

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
On the energy area with the technology, Thales, the EPR and all, you re right.
Not only in this area. That's why I talked about some others big french companies.

Quote:
I talked about affirmative action, and the system of French universities is sure good since everyone can study there, but this is a curse too since the school dropout at the first year is quite high...
EDIT: Anh says that my reply is irrevelant, sorry, I let it since it can inform some people on our system though XD

We have a quotas system. Not for the universities but for the National Schools (which are free of charge, you don't have to pay for it), and private schools (not free, that's why the people aim for the national ones in priority).

After highschool, you can enter preparatory classes (Science, Economy or Literary) .

After two years of preparatory classes (which have a quotas too), you have a national exams to try to enter the best french schools (the national ones are way better than the private ones) which have quotas.

Our National schools are still among the best in the world, ENS, Polytechnique, Centrale, Mines Paris etc etc.

If you're not good enough in your studies to attend preparatory classes, then you can attend the universities after high school (some universities are very good and famous, like La Sorbonne or ASSAS for instance) ; or even some other schools.

If you're poor, you can attend the universities because it's nearly free (not totaly free, but it doesn't cost much at all). In comparison with the USA where you need a LOT a money in your studies, from what i heard, in college.

+ our medecine schools are among the best in the world, because only the serious people can success in it, which is normal since health is not a game. Therefor, some of our doctors are famous. And even many sportsmen come in france when they are injured.

If you fail at universities, you can still find a place in a lot of schools that provide BTS and other useful degrees.

So no, I will still defend our system. Not perfect, but way better than the other countries, imo, by far.

Quote:
Imo, yes if we compare your country to others, and no if we talk about individualism .
Define individualism in this case, please.

Quote:
Thievery is always replaced by violence against people from all age.
His government just hides it by giving you polls'results which show a decrease in an area even though the other field increased ...
Nope, there is a real decrease, I know it because I have friends who lived in dangerous area, and now it's way better. The car accidents and other stuffs have also been reduced, thanks to him again.

Quote:
I heard about the " cadeau fiscal" he gave to the rich, some billions and less to nothing for the people who were in the need ...
I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that to earn money, you have to work hard. For example, I am against the 35 hours per week. Same as him. And I am not the only one.

Quote:
And you know I do not think a gender change anything about a post,girl guy, this is the same here. Well I'm not talking about fangirls and all that's another story.
?___? I don't understand why you say that to me.

Quote:
Let's hope he doesn't flub then/ Honetsly, since his " casse toi pauve con" I fear for him
I don't really blame him, some people insult him a lot. He replied to a "Touche moi pas (LOL ce français pourri), tu me salis". Yeah, he should not have replied like that, but it doesn't excuse those people who think they can obtain something by insulting our president.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-01-27 at 17:41.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 16:55   Link #1475
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Not only in this area. That's why I talked about some others big french companies.

Well, sorry but you don't seem to know our system well. We have a quotas system. Not for the universities but for the National Schools and private schools.

After highschool, you can enter preparatory classes (Science, Economy or Literary).

After two years of preparatory classes (which have a quotas too), you have a national exams to try to enter the best french schools (the national ones are way better than the private ones).
That's not what she's talking about. Affirmative action (discrimination positive) is when, thanks to their skin color, kids can get into colleges or workplaces even if they're not good enough. We've got those for the handicapped, I think.

In France, it's illegal (because it is racist - we're not supposed to care about skin color one way or the other), though the idea of putting it in place because it's a fact that some skin colors make you less likely to, say, get hired.

We also have similar things on social, rather than racial, criteria, though it's pretty small. Sarkozy's been talking about increasing it. (But then, talk is cheap... and accademia is reactionary.)

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2009-01-27 at 18:02.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 17:03   Link #1476
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's not what she's talking about. Affirmative action (discrimination positive) is when, thanks to their skin color, kids can get into colleges or workplaces even if they're not good enough. We've got those for the handicapped, I think.

In France, it's illegal (because it is racist - we're not supposed to care about skin color one way or ther other), though the idea of putting it in place because it's a fact that some skin colors make you less likely to, say, get hired.

We also have similar things on social, rather than racial, criteria, though it's pretty small. Sarkozy's been talking about increasing it. (But then, talk is cheap... and accademia is reactionary.)
Sorry if I am mistaken, but what does it have to do with "the dropouts in first year of universities" then ?_?

Last edited by Narona; 2009-01-27 at 17:34.
Old 2009-01-27, 18:07   Link #1477
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Nothing per se. She's just comparing the systems. In the US, you've got a strong selection at the entrance of colleges and affirmative action. In France, we have no affirmative action anyone can get into the college of their choice (except in the elite schools you mentioned). But it has the undesirable consequence of getting us lots of first-year dropouts.

(I frankly don't see how affirmative action would be better than "anyone can get in based on grades"... Though I have to admit, hiring behaviors may be a problem. Affirmative action may have a place there.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:18   Link #1478
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Nothing per se. She's just comparing the systems. In the US, you've got a strong selection at the entrance of colleges and affirmative action. In France, we have no affirmative action anyone can get into the college of their choice (except in the elite schools you mentioned). But it has the undesirable consequence of getting us lots of first-year dropouts.

(I frankly don't see how affirmative action would be better than "anyone can get in based on grades"... Though I have to admit, hiring behaviors may be a problem. Affirmative action may have a place there.)
I still don't see that as a problem. Whatever your results, everyone should have the right to go to "casual" colleges at least, without entrance selection and/or having to pay a lot of money (which is a problem in the USA for a lot of poor people from what i've heard)

I still prefer that too. We have many levels of schools after highschool, and mostly everybody can try to get some diploma/degrees to try to find a job, which is good imo.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:00   Link #1479
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I still don't see that as a problem. Whatever your results, everyone should have the right to go to "casual" colleges at least, without entrance selection and/or having to pay a lot of money (which is a problem in the USA for a lot of poor people from what i've heard)

I still prefer that too. We have many levels of schools after highschool, and mostly everybody can try to get some diploma/degrees to try to find a job, which is good imo.
community college, very cheap.

you can take the general course in community college and then transfer over to a 4 yr and save yourself half the cost.

As far as selection the bigger name univeristies public or private will have someone sort creteria but the smaller school usually just minimal requirement like a 3.0 gpa.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:07   Link #1480
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
community college, very cheap.

you can take the general course in community college and then transfer over to a 4 yr and save yourself half the cost.

As far as selection the bigger name univeristies public or private will have someone sort creteria but the smaller school usually just minimal requirement like a 3.0 gpa.
I didn't know, as i said in my first post on this page today, I was not sure, thanks

Anyway, here in France, you can attend famous universities and national schools even if you are poor, is it the same in the USA?

What I meant, mostly, was that, in france, if you have good grades and if you feel like wanting to attend National Schools, you can. The national preparatory classes are free of charges. All you need is very good grades and to success during the national exams. Then, the national schools are also free of charges.

If you are not as good, you can still find good schools and very good universities.

And if you are not good at all, there are still some possibilities for you.

Tags
humor