AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 14:02   Link #1161
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Here's the thing the society in psycho pass executes people executes people who haven't committed crimes. They have very little sympathy or tolerance for people on the edge.
That's not the way it works. You can't just be on the edge. Even the first criminal didn't get authorized immediately for termination even while he was raping and torturing that woman. It was only when he demonstrated that he was resistant to being stunned, and displayed murderous intent that a kill authorization came.

Considering that people deemed incurable are imprisoned rather than executed, the Dominator going into kill mode is probably more of a force escalation in response to a suspect being desperate enough to kill, rather than a fiat "we kill crazy people". The victim in episode 1 only got a kill authorization after she got away, and started thinking about trying to torch people with the lighter.

Though really. The biggest problem in the way this scenario went down seems to be the fact that law enforcement uses state sanctioned sociopaths to hunt down criminals, and the automatic processes they use to ensure they only go after criminals are somewhat limited. It shouldn't be surprising that people like that would be as ruthless as possible within the confines the system allowed them. That's probably why Enforcers work with inspectors, to keep them from going on killing sprees when it's not appropriate.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:13   Link #1162
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The holographic decor doesn't bother me. The clothes, OTOH... What if it rains? How solid are they? And do they every break down, leaving their wearers naked?

And yet - out of all the possibilities open before her, she took one of the most demanding, least glamorous
Because she doesn't know what she wants. She thinks she will find something to do in there that only she can do. She may find a reason for not caring.

If she cared about status, wealth, etc she would have gone into the other more highly coveted career paths.

Anyhow, Akane's character design... seems like it is influenced by some 1990s anime.

Anyhow, we did get some crazy faces from Akane.

This supposed to be a 20+ episode anime, right? Who's the main antagonist? Would people with multiple personalities be able to cheat the system? How about people who feel no remorse for doing bad things?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:22   Link #1163
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
This supposed to be a 20+ episode anime, right? Who's the main antagonist? Would people with multiple personalities be able to cheat the system? How about people who feel no remorse for doing bad things?
Multiple personality disorder doesn't actually exist. And even if it did, the mental nuttery that would allow it to happen would probably come off very strongly on a Psycho-Pass. And remorse doesn't really factor into it either. Many of the enforcers don't feel remorse for when they have to execute people, and they psycho-passes light off like Christmas trees.

I think the antagonist in this kinda setup would be either some criminal group that figured out a way to get their Psycho-Pass's to read as normal through physical tampering, or a corrupt group of enforcers. The former would have a very easy time moving about undetected in a system primarily devoted to fighting crime by monitoring peoples Psycoh-pass, and the latter being a state sanctioned squad of sociopaths have all sorts of ways they could do diabolical things.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:25   Link #1164
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:

Anyhow, Akane's character design... seems like it is influenced by some 1990s anime.
Nah.. that's just Amano quirks.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:34   Link #1165
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Though really. The biggest problem in the way this scenario went down seems to be the fact that law enforcement uses state sanctioned sociopaths to hunt down criminals, and the automatic processes they use to ensure they only go after criminals are somewhat limited. It shouldn't be surprising that people like that would be as ruthless as possible within the confines the system allowed them. That's probably why Enforcers work with inspectors, to keep them from going on killing sprees when it's not appropriate.
Considering how they think high Crime Coefficients are contagious, I don't think the police would allow many "clean" officers to work on the field. They wouldn't want corrupt people to corrupt others.

Then because the Enforcers are deemed as corrupt by the system, normal people wouldn't want to get near them or want to become law enforcers, causing a shortage of staff as mentioned at the beginning of the first episode.

It's a vicious cycle.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:36   Link #1166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Because she doesn't know what she wants. She thinks she will find something to do in there that only she can do. She may find a reason for not caring.

If she cared about status, wealth, etc she would have gone into the other more highly coveted career paths.
But that's not what apathetic people do. If she was apathetic, she'd have gone witht he flow of "choosing whatever everyone wants". That she made such an unconventional choice shows she believes in the system. She may not care about policework as such, but she chose her path according to what was best for society according to the system, rather than what would be easier, more comfortable for her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:43   Link #1167
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
I'm sure it can take some water. The question is, does it actually protect them from the weather?
hmm ... not at all, it's just light effects after all. Remember the drones from the first episode, their holographic camouflages were slightly sparkling and even wearing off as the rain drops fall on them.
Using that as a reference, it's crystal clear her suit is real since : there was no spark at all + it can get wet + there was no point in Ginoza giving her an uniform if she can just go holo-clothing all the way. Also during this episode, Masaoka as well as Karanomori and Kunizuka demonstrated that their clothes can be taken off, which also doesn't make sense in so many ways if it's just hologram
Well, to be blunt this isn't the first time an anime used things like this. There was also Mnemosyne, but with that one it's a lot harder to figure out if it's your average holographic clothing or teleported clothing or solid holographic clothing or whatever.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:46   Link #1168
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I just thought the hologram kind of originated FROM their clothing. All of the holographic stuff seems to 'coat' something in it.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:58   Link #1169
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
But that's not what apathetic people do. If she was apathetic, she'd have gone witht he flow of "choosing whatever everyone wants". That she made such an unconventional choice shows she believes in the system. She may not care about policework as such, but she chose her path according to what was best for society according to the system, rather than what would be easier, more comfortable for her.
But she didn't want to compete with people at her level.

This is society where your psychological profile is more important than your actual work ethic, accomplishments, and productivity.

One of her friends wants to get ahead but she has hit a brick wall, she's not allowed to be anything more than a menial job. She likes her job but wants something more, yet she's not allowed to pursue her dream.

She's grown up being told she's special, she has a great psycho pass but she doesn't seem to believe it herself and she doesn't seem to particularly care to get ahead. She appears to be the type of person that would have been content being labeled as someone of lesser potential and working a quiet job.

She's trying to find out if she really deserves her status because she seems like she doesn't know if she really does care. Not a particularly passionate person, it appears.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:10   Link #1170
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Akane wasn't being apathetic. She was being selfless.

Akane saw that there was one job that she and she alone scored an "A" for, and so she basically thought, "All those other jobs will get A-list people even if I don't sign up for them, so I'll be the most helpful I can be to my society by making sure that law enforcement gets an A-list person as well".

Akane wasn't apathetic in Episode 2 so much as she was simply a bit depressed. She was feeling useless when she wanted to be useful. It's not that she's uncaring, but quite the opposite - She's depressed because she does care, and she's afraid she won't make a difference.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:11   Link #1171
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
But she didn't want to compete with people at her level.
Where did she say that it was because she didn't want to compete with other people? It seemed like it had more to do with her thinking there was something significant about how she was the most competent person to this position by a huge margin. I'm not sure you can ascribe that as her wanting to not want to compete with people.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:13   Link #1172
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Doesn't apathetic mean not caring? She seems to care about a lot of stuff.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 15:19   Link #1173
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Akane saw that there was one job that she and she alone scored an "A" for, and so she basically thought, "All those other jobs will get A-list people even if I don't sign up for them, so I'll be the most helpful I can be to my society by making sure that law enforcement gets an A-list person as well".

Akane wasn't apathetic in Episode 2 so much as she was simply a bit depressed. She was feeling useless when she wanted to be useful. It's not that she's uncaring, but quite the opposite - She's depressed because she does care, and she's afraid she won't make a difference.
She's not depressed. Depression is a mental illness. Her psycho pass remains ultra clear. Getting too scared or getting too depressed can lead to trouble. She may be able to detach herself... I guess.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:21   Link #1174
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
About the clothes ... I'm pretty sure she's actually wearing a real suit (which is then camouflaged with the holographic clothing afterwards). Also, it did rain during the first episode IIRC and her suit was fine.
This. Remember the girl in the first episode who got raped? Her clothes were torn. I doubt a hologram would tear like that.

Quote:
She's not depressed. Depression is a mental illness. Her psycho pass remains ultra clear.
You don't need to have depression to be depressed.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 16:09   Link #1175
mayumi

akane is kinda like haru from reborn only without the pony.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 16:10   Link #1176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Exactly. One of that society's central tenet is that "what must be done will be taken care of by those with the ability to do it". For all those other jobs, someone else could do it. But she was the only "one with the ability" for the inspector's slot.

What she experienced in ep2 was a small crisis of faith.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 16:42   Link #1177
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Exactly. One of that society's central tenet is that "what must be done will be taken care of by those with the ability to do it". For all those other jobs, someone else could do it. But she was the only "one with the ability" for the inspector's slot.
Sorta is an interesting dichotomy between the Inspectors and the Enforcers.

Inspectors can do their job because they have incredible mental resilience and principles to engage in this kind of work without being * contaminated* with high mental trauma.

Enforcers are the primary trigger men since they're the ones ruthless and disciplined enough to hunt down people with high crime coefficients, and to kill them if required.

Quote:
She's not depressed. Depression is a mental illness. Her psycho pass remains ultra clear. Getting too scared or getting too depressed can lead to trouble. She may be able to detach herself... I guess.
If Akane could detach herself why was she upset all throughout episode 2?
Old 2012-10-21, 16:54   Link #1178
Dark Wing

I feel that maybe people are trying too hard to pick apart Akane's character and motivation. Why can't she just be a selfless person who wants to do the right thing and help change the system for the better?
Old 2012-10-21, 16:56   Link #1179
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I feel that maybe people are trying too hard to pick apart Akane's character and motivation. Why can't she just be a selfless person who wants to do the right thing and help change the system for the better?
I wish she would have said that, cause the vibe I get is..."I just did this since none of my classmates did".

You picked the WRONG job if that's the case.
Old 2012-10-21, 17:02   Link #1180
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
That's how I see her. She seems like a pretty straightforward and idealistic (naive?) character. She chose that job because this is where she would be the most useful, since there were no other candidates who were as suited to this job as she was.

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller