AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-09, 07:58   Link #61
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Yeah, TinyRedLeaf's comparison to The Others tipped me off. It also reminded me of myself joking in IRC while watching the two first episodes, something like "lol guys, it might be a classroom of dead all along guys."
Old 2012-02-09, 12:56   Link #62
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Multiple threads in a sub-forum make organising related posts so very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Let's give class 3-3 a hand. How would you go about finding out who's the dead one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At the same time I realized that most of the characters only have either their first or last name listed but rarely both, so this may not be important at all after all.
I trust people won't find it too difficult to connect the dots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah, TinyRedLeaf's comparison to The Others tipped me off. It also reminded me of myself joking in IRC while watching the two first episodes, something like "lol guys, it might be a classroom of dead all along guys."
Heh, I was just shooting in the dark. By the way, you may want to dwell on that joke a bit more, given the above hint.
Old 2012-02-09, 14:35   Link #63
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Other than in The Others, though, we never saw any of the dead people dying again. If the students are dead, how can they be dying once more?

And before anyone mentions it, I do not believe this is like Angel Beats, where they're all trapped in some kind of purgatory and can die over and over again. Not until I see the dead students returning to class again, or something that would suggest they didn't truly die.
Old 2012-02-09, 14:39   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Well, of course, just as there is nothing to preclude the possibility that Sakakibara is the "extra". In fact, everyone is a suspect. I've even come across a comment on MAL saying that we, the viewers, are the "extras".
That's true, but my point is that Mei could actually have been the Another all along.
Old 2012-02-09, 17:24   Link #65
DesuX2

I see that a lot of "I see dead people, they are everywhere", "Angel Beats Purgatory" theories popping up, on a personal level, I hope that's not the case since that would be really lousy writing to recycle a theme that has been used since time memorial. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true of course.

Some new information that I realized after watching Another Episode 5, and a little rewind of earlier episodes.

Spoiler for My updated Insane Crackpot Theory (WITHOUT LOVE IT CANNOT BE SEEN KIHIHIHIHIHIHI):

1. The Misaki who died 26 years ago cannot be male!

Spoiler for Totally not a guy:

2. We now know the nature of the curse.
Spoiler for Which everyone already guessed -_-:

Now that Misaki Mei is beginning to be a little cute, and God forbid, more human-like, at least we can see that there is a rational solution to this mystery without resorting to explanations that "Witches Exist".

Stuff we know, and everyone kinda already guessed before Episode 5.
Spoiler for Stuff:

What we don't know yet.

HOW did Misaki die 26 years ago?
Spoiler for Important!:

What happened 15 years ago when Kouichi's aunt was at the school?

Spoiler for something about her doesn't make sense:

What is Mei and Kouichi's true connection to the incident 26 years ago?

Spoiler for besides the shipping part:

Who is the creepy custodian of the auxiliary library and what is his connection to the incident 26 years ago?

No clues yet, I really want to know. But he is hinted to be some exorcist of some kind (panning shot in Episode 5).

What is the use of the "doll" motif in the show?
Spoiler for VERY VERY IMPORANT:

Questions:

Who is the creepy custodian of the auxiliary library and what is his connection to the incident 26 years ago?
Is Twin Tail the most gigantic biatch or what?
Old 2012-02-09, 17:51   Link #66
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
That's a very detailed theory. I quite like where you're going with this. I'd just like to point one thing out.

Spoiler for That thing:

Last edited by Ray; 2012-02-09 at 18:29. Reason: Added a spoiler tag.
Old 2012-02-09, 17:56   Link #67
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Spoiler for yeah but...:

edit: beaten to it by Aphrah , oh well.
Old 2012-02-09, 19:00   Link #68
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Perfectly rational, but your other speculation actually made me think about other possible implications of this uncertainty.

Spoiler for brainstorming, and other droolings:

A couple of other thoughts on throwaway comments I noticed in re-watching episode 1. When discussing Kouichi's father in the hospital room, his grandmother muses that he's been "such a dutiful man" in the years since Ritsuko died. Maybe she means he's never dated since then, but we don't know the details, because Reika quickly changes the subject.

We're also treated to numerous shots of the Yomiyama River, and it is referenced as a landmark throughout the episode. It has yet to feature prominently since then, but its early introduction suggests it might be important later.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-02-09 at 19:36.
Old 2012-02-09, 21:45   Link #69
DesuX2

Good point, I don't know how to speak Japanese so my assumptions are based on the little kanji I can read and phrases I heard from other anime. Perhaps it's true then that Misaki is male.

Spoiler for Weird thoughts:

I fear that everyone has read too much into the "mystery" side of things, and left out all the little clues that the anime scatters in everyday events. I think that the key to solving the central mystery of the "curse" lies in the main theme. So I went back to analyze every philosophical tidbit the anime offered and looked closely at Mei and Kouichi's conversations again.

The key is this:

Misaki Mei is a weird girl who likes to speak in metaphors.

So my updated theory after such a long post is this:

Spoiler for Updated Theory on Crack and Love (WITHOUT LOVE IT CANNOT BE SEEN! KIHIHIHIHIHIHI):

Main Theme: Social Isolation as a metaphor for death

I only realized this when watching Episode 5. In Episode 5, the homeroom teacher is giving a lesson on "Figures of Speech, Simile, Metaphor, Personification". So I thought: What if death itself was a metaphor for social isolation?
Spoiler for Main Theme: Social Isolation as a metaphor for death:

I did an episode by episode analysis of Kouichi and Mei's conversation lines with each other. Because I forgot where I put my headphones, I actually viewed them without any sound. Then I realized that if you put eroge game music instead of scary music in their dialog they look like scenes out of a romance novel.

Epi 1

Spoiler for Boiler Room Scene:

Spoiler for Rooftop Scene:

Episode 2

Spoiler for What was Mei looking at from the roof?:

Quote:
"not the lemon, but the world that is screaming"
Spoiler for ORLY:

Quote:
"You don't dislike..."
Spoiler for Where have I heard that...:

Quote:
"I wasn't hiding because I wanted to surprise you, you just happened to come while I was here."
Spoiler for phrase again...:

Quote:
"Do you want me to show you what's under this eyepatch?"
Spoiler for Dum dee dum da:

Flirting aside, I think that this conversation is key to solving the mystery:

Quote:

"only half... maybe less than that."

"It's strange that they can look so peaceful, even though they are attached (in reference to two female dolls joined at the shoulder)"

"Impossible, it would make more sense to be calm if they were separated."
Spoiler for Spoiler for Central Mystery:

Episode 3

"It can see things that remain unseen, so I keep it covered."
Spoiler for Seriously:

Quote:
"This might not be a good place for you, since you are not used to it. The dolls... dolls are hollow you see. Completely hollow in body and soul. That void connects them with death. But hollow things seek to fill their emptiness."
Spoiler for Human Misaki Mei Translator:

Very, very very flirtatious.

Quote:
"I know things about you that even you don't know. That's how we're stuck with each other."
Spoiler for Hmmmm:

Possibility of serial killer

Spoiler for Mysterious Culprit X may or may not exist:

AND YES I NOW KNOW HOW TWIN RED TAILS WILL DIE. It's hinted in the OP. I look forward to seeing that mean bullying psycho getting whacked off.

Spoiler for Possible Foreshadowing:

Questions:

Is Twin Tail the most gigantic biatch or what?
Who are Kirika and Fujiwara Misaki?
Old 2012-02-09, 22:05   Link #70
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Spoiler for That thing:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-09, 22:31   Link #71
Extremesonic101

The gender aspect is really tricky when you watch with English Subs :P

In Episode 3 (I believe) when Mei tells the story to Kouichi in the English subs I believe she says it was a boy who said that Misaki was still alive, so can anyone check if she uses male clarification or is it also non-gender specific?
Old 2012-02-09, 22:55   Link #72
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremesonic101 View Post
The gender aspect is really tricky when you watch with English Subs :P

In Episode 3 (I believe) when Mei tells the story to Kouichi in the English subs I believe she says it was a boy who said that Misaki was still alive, so can anyone check if she uses male clarification or is it also non-gender specific?
There was never any indication whether Misaki was a boy or a girl. The words they used when not refering to Misaki in name were "that person", "that student" or "that one". Japanese has this tendency that unless you clearly say HIM or HER, which is very unlikely to be used in a normal sentence, you never know the exact gender if it is not contextualized.

Additionally the novel (it is NOT a light novel) opened with the same discussion we had in episode 1 but was exceptionally longer also having among other things during the first few lines that:
Spoiler for beginning of the novel:
Old 2012-02-09, 23:23   Link #73
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I think that if Misaki's gender is that much of a mystery then it prob doesn't matter for this round of killings. It prob matters to getting down to basis of the start of the curse as it prob was a murder cover up imo.

We have a timeline for the deaths in the episode 5 thread.

The only newbies to the class were the 2 homeroom teachers before Fujioka died. If both were assigned to Class 3-3, then they count also as part of the class. I think that the desk thing is a red herring.
Old 2012-02-09, 23:25   Link #74
DesuX2

But the writing on the desk "Just who, is the dead one?" should be very relevant and connected to the central mystery, after all it is plastered over the main website. I hardly doubt that the author, when writing this in novel format would leave something as inauspicious as that as a dangling thread.
Old 2012-02-09, 23:29   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
But the writing on the desk "Just who, is the dead one?" should be very relevant and connected to the central mystery, after all it is plastered over the main website. I hardly doubt that the author, when writing this in novel format would leave something as inauspicious as that as a dangling thread.
It could have been written by one of the students in a previous cursed class. It doesn't mean that a student is the current dead one.

In fact, the deaths supposedly started after the 1972 class had left which would imply that it's not Misaki that is fueling this but another ghost. While the class had Misaki's ghost, no one died in theory.
Old 2012-02-10, 00:34   Link #76
Extremesonic101

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
There was never any indication whether Misaki was a boy or a girl. The words they used when not refering to Misaki in name were "that person", "that student" or "that one". Japanese has this tendency that unless you clearly say HIM or HER, which is very unlikely to be used in a normal sentence, you never know the exact gender if it is not contextualized.
Fair enough, my question however was regarding "The Student" who claims Misaki is still alive no Misaki itself, but its most likely the same thing given what you said about it being common Japanese speach patern.

EDIT: After hearing about Kirika's relation to Mei in episode 5 it made me wonder did she appear in an episode and I missed it because I have no idea what she looks like :P if anyone has a picture of her or can just let me know when she appeared (if she has) I would greatly appreciate it ^^

Last edited by Extremesonic101; 2012-02-10 at 00:38. Reason: Extra question
Old 2012-02-10, 01:56   Link #77
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremesonic101 View Post
EDIT: After hearing about Kirika's relation to Mei in episode 5 it made me wonder did she appear in an episode and I missed it because I have no idea what she looks like if anyone has a picture of her or can just let me know when she appeared (if she has) I would greatly appreciate it
She appeared briefly in Episode 4, at around 10:50. Sakakibara went to Studio M after the glass panel crashed. As he stood in front of the doll shop, a woman walked past him, giving him a dark look as she climbed up the stairs. That was Kirika.
Old 2012-02-10, 13:35   Link #78
Extremesonic101

Thank you very much, not sure how I missed that (Kirika is cute :P deffinetly see the resemblance and I love her hair style), I need to go back and watch the other episodes and start focusing on everything, in stories like these every little detail is important.
Old 2012-02-11, 03:27   Link #79
Oyashiro

Quote:
I was reading the other speculation/general thread when I came across two facts that could be very significant: (well, they destroy my personal crack theory entirely but hey, it's interesting)

Spoiler for Two Facts on weed:
Spoiler for About that first fact,:

And pssst, has anyone else noticed the shadow of a person in the OP when the elevator opens? The elevator is obviously empty, but if you look at the floor in front of the elevator, you can see the shadow of someone standing there...

Last edited by Oyashiro; 2012-02-11 at 04:33.
Old 2012-02-12, 11:08   Link #80
Alucard24

Well, why not trying to cut everyone to see if they bleed or not ? If the "another" student is really immortal, then he will heal in no time.
Closed Thread