AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-08-10, 12:20   Link #261
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Now THAT was a PV.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 12:28   Link #262
OPN

I must be in the minority but i didn't think the PV was THAT good. Sure it was decent and had really great animation and the main female character is cute but thats about all. I'll still be watching it but the PV was just decent.
Old 2012-08-10, 12:31   Link #263
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
I must be in the minority but i didn't think the PV was THAT good. Sure it was decent and had really great animation and the main female character is cute but thats about all. I'll still be watching it but the PV was just decent.
I don't think the majority thought it was THAT good per se, but more along the lines of WTF - I sure did .
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 12:33   Link #264
OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I don't think the majority thought it was THAT good per se, but more along the lines of WTF - I sure did .
I kinda expected it to be like that given the previous images i saw of it so i didn't have a WTF DID I JUST WATCH!? reaction .
Old 2012-08-10, 12:33   Link #265
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
I'll still be watching it but the PV was just decent.
That means it's already better than most PVs.
Speaking as someone who hated what little he read of the source material, this actually looks like a decent and watchable show and I'm now quite interested. That's what a PV is supposed to do, after all.
Old 2012-08-10, 12:39   Link #266
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
True the way people normally jizz over anything Kyoani would seem to prove that statement as not true seeing as how I'm not seeing anything of the sort here, but it does actually pique ones interest.

I so wanna say it looks like typical Kyoani (lots of wild takes, characters looking like they're being loud and probably telling bad jokes that aren't actually funny, exageratted movements everywhere), but the fact that there seems to be some sort of actual combat and edgier subplots going on and the fact that Kyoani might be making an anime where something actually appears to be at stake again other than whether a cute girl will have enough time to finish her cake before class has at least given me the inkling to check out the first episode.

Those character desigsn though...woof. Somehow they actually look less desirable in motion than when I was commenting about not liking them on paper. Not a fan of the blobby style even though I know it's that way because it makes it easier to animate subtle deliberate motions like Kyoani likes to do. A-1 sort of has a similar thing going on a lot of the time, only their designs look a little less like a jellybean on average.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 12:45   Link #267
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
True the way people normally jizz over anything Kyoani would seem to prove that statement as not true seeing as how I'm not seeing anything of the sort here, but it does actually pique ones interest.
Surely you aren't claiming that people reacted like that when Munto, K-on and Nichijou were announced, are you?
Quote:
I so wanna say it looks like typical Kyoani (lots of wild takes, characters looking like they're being loud and probably telling bad jokes that aren't actually funny, exageratted movements everywhere),
...so you can predict how jokes will turn out when... we don't hear any of them? That's like expecting every series to work manzai style like Nichijou because of speedlines and whatnot.
Quote:
but the fact that there seems to be some sort of actual combat and edgier subplots going on and the fact that Kyoani might be making an anime where something actually appears to be at stake again other than whether a cute girl will have enough time to finish her cake before class has at least given me the inkling to check out the first episode.
There won't be actual combat. Read again the title and the premise: it is basically a rendition of these kids imagination running extra wild. The likes of real teenagers acting like wannabe badass sword wielder etc.
Old 2012-08-10, 12:46   Link #268
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I so wanna say it looks like typical Kyoani (lots of wild takes, characters looking like they're being loud and probably telling bad jokes that aren't actually funny, exageratted movements everywhere), but the fact that there seems to be some sort of actual combat and edgier subplots going on and the fact that Kyoani might be making an anime where something actually appears to be at stake again other than whether a cute girl will have enough time to finish her cake before class has at least given me the inkling to check out the first episode.
Don't bother, you won't like it. Those are delusional sequences; the characters are the target audience for Shanaclones and the like.
Old 2012-08-10, 12:56   Link #269
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Surely you aren't claiming that people reacted like that when Munto, K-on and Nichijou were announced, are you?
Really it is more on the line how the "chuuni" part can be visualized, while the premise on paper is a tad difficult, as delusions and teenagers going whack can be done in various way (Chaos;Head being completely on a very different extreme tangent).
Naw I was more making half-joking reference to bygone eras of unpleasantness. That sort of thing hasn't happened in a fairly long time actually.

Quote:
...so you can predict how jokes will turn out when... we don't hear any of them? That's like expecting every series to work manzai style like Nichijou because of speedlines and whatnot.
No but given my experience with Kyoani in the past and not finding the jokes they kick out to be very funny at all so much as delivered in a very loud and over the top manner that is supplemented by visual wild takes it seems like a pretty safe bet.

Quote:
There won't be actual combat. Read again the title and the premise: it is basically a rendition of these kids imagination running extra wild. The likes of real teenagers acting like wannabe badass sword wielder etc.
Hmmm yeah just read that. Well that can still be an interesting premise if delivered in good faith and straight up, I'm just skeptical as to Kyoani's willingness to deliver anything other than some form of wish fulfilling fantasy and to play it for laughs without any sort of the sobering drama one might expect to come into play. My yardstick for this type of premise was probably set by Welcome to the NHK and while I don't expect it to have that shows level of black humour and manic/depressive tone I would still hope to see the idea of mental dillusion taken somewhat seriously amidst the gag bits.

That's about it for my expectations, the fact that I'm willing to give Kyoani yet another chance after being burned so many times is kind of as surprising to me as it probably is to some others though.
Old 2012-08-10, 13:12   Link #270
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Naw I was more making half-joking reference to bygone eras of unpleasantness. That sort of thing hasn't happened in a fairly long time actually.

No but given my experience with Kyoani in the past and not finding the jokes they kick out to be very funny at all so much as delivered in a very loud and over the top manner that is supplemented by visual wild takes it seems like a pretty safe bet.

Hmmm yeah just read that. Well that can still be an interesting premise if delivered in good faith and straight up, I'm just skeptical as to Kyoani's willingness to deliver anything other than some form of wish fulfilling fantasy and to play it for laughs without any sort of the sobering drama one might expect to come into play. My yardstick for this type of premise was probably set by Welcome to the NHK and while I don't expect it to have that shows level of black humour and manic/depressive tone I would still hope to see the idea of mental dillusion taken somewhat seriously amidst the gag bits.

That's about it for my expectations, the fact that I'm willing to give Kyoani yet another chance after being burned so many times is kind of as surprising to me as it probably is to some others though.
Remember, for people with older style tastes, there is Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. (which has been awesome for far at 6 episodes)
Old 2012-08-10, 13:16   Link #271
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Remember, for people with older style tastes, there is Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. (which has been awesome for far at 6 episodes)
I also suggest Redline or Mardock Scramble for "older" fans (2nd film just came out and it was amazing - definitely better than 1st).
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 13:21   Link #272
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... well, tbh the PV didn't really make much of an impression on me other than detailed visuals. :\

But ... hmm ... imaginations running wild, eh? Hmm, hmm ... that sounds definitely worth a try at least....
Old 2012-08-10, 13:50   Link #273
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I didn't even know that was supposed to be out yet. Thought it was just the movie and TV episodes got pushed back to 2013.

Also I have managed to acquire a taste for more modern anime, just under certain circumstances. I think it helps that I've been given lots of other options that are more akin to my oldschool tastes of late though such that I don't feel like I'm drowning in a sea of something that has become far too different from how I remember it anymore. It tends to be easier to get into different things when you still have something you feel more comfortable with to fall back on and when it still feels like an industry cares about your interests and leanings.
Old 2012-08-10, 14:01   Link #274
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

hmm the pv definetlly interest me (thought i know most of them are just stupid delusional)

how many ep?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 14:05   Link #275
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Techically with Yamato it is just the films...though they are being released on BD as episodes. Two BD are out already with 2 episodes on the first and 4 on the second. The third BD won't be out until November (third film comes out in October). The BD have the advantage of having English subtitles on them.

The films are basically a group of episodes strung together in a logical manner.

TV release will be later, though Bandai is streaming the episodes from what I understand.

--------------------
This KyoAni show does show off that they can do action. Just they've not been hired by anyone to do an action series. I think they keep puching like this until someone says "You know, I want my fighting story animated by these people, because that looked awesome".

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-10 at 16:21.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 14:18   Link #276
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

wait what? you you saying this is OVA or series or of movie not tv series

Old 2012-08-10, 14:21   Link #277
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is something I don't think we know yet about Chūni-byō Demo Koi Shitai!
Old 2012-08-10, 14:43   Link #278
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
TV release will be later, though Bandai is streaming the episodes from what I understand.
Quote:
That is something I don't think we know yet about Chūni-byō Demo Koi Shitai!
It is confirmed to run on TV starting in October via TOKYO MX, Sun Television, KBS, Television Aichi, BS11, and Animax. No online distribution has been announced. No running dates have been announced either.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 14:49   Link #279
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

oh ok thanks

Old 2012-08-10, 16:21   Link #280
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh I see, I messed up a line in my original editing. I've fix it now.

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen