AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-10-09, 20:10   Link #1461
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The "jinsei soudan" part is a new one.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 16:10   Link #1462
hypermuse

Just got the 11th novel in Korean, woo

Might post a summary later on

Last edited by hypermuse; 2012-10-11 at 16:27.
hypermuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 19:18   Link #1463
hans_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermuse View Post
Just got the 11th novel in Korean, woo

Might post a summary later on
if you can, please do it )
hans_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 21:06   Link #1464
iCK

Anyone else noticed during the video promo, they switched the speech Kirino made when she was on top of Kyousuke
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:39   Link #1465
Sumeragi
Banned

I now fear the true powers of Kirino, given how she was like in the beginning.....
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 02:43   Link #1466
hypermuse

Hey folks, just finished translating chapter 3 of volume 6, feel free to go check that out.

Website link should be in my sig

http://oreimotranslations.weebly.com
hypermuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 21:48   Link #1467
sky black swordman

^ Thank you, will check it out.
Old 2012-10-27, 13:42   Link #1468
larethian

I finally just finished v11, after putting it off for so long. Behold, my worst fears have been realized. (Though I thought Kyousuke's backstory was nice). I'm basically not against a work of fiction exploring a romantic relationship between siblings and I thought a few such Japanese and Korean works were rather touching, but the sad thing about this series is that it wasn't clearly positioned as such in the first half, and the hints of it possibly turning into something 'serious' only started in the second half (after volumes 5/6), though it was still possible to downplay those 'hints' with various explanations, until now. So count me as one of those disappointed in the series. If it were more clearly positioned as such right at the beginning, I might have enjoyed this series in a different light (though I truly really want to read a family/kinship-oriented reconciliation story between a pair of siblings). So I feel like I'm trolled. To top off my disapointment, the author had to use the love fest plot device (it's just simply too mind-boggling for me to include nearly every female character, even the likes of Kanako, into the 'harem', regardless of how the author tries to justify how 'they' all are in love with Kyousuke). Even if v12's ending is such that the girls help the siblings to have a normal sibling relationship, the damage has already been done.

So hear me now Fushimi, YOU SUCK!

P.S: My Oreimo series is for sale now at half price. Only local pickup (Singapore). Interested people please PM me. They are all in excellent condition.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 15:51   Link #1469
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
...it wasn't clearly positioned as such in the first half... it was still possible to downplay those 'hints'... I truly really want to read a family/kinship-oriented reconciliation story... So I feel like I'm trolled. [...] So hear me now Fushimi, YOU SUCK!
This reminds me of romantic triangle anime where the protagonist ends up with a certain heroine while others thought the signs were pointing somewhere else, and then people are disappointed/upset because the story didn't go the way they thought it would.

I guess all I would say is that the foreshadowing was definitely there from the start, but it was subject to interpretation. Over the course of the story, it was progressively making the revelations more and more specific, until one of the two interpretations became less likely. So while it didn't go the way you wanted, I'm not sure that saying the author "sucks" is particularly fair in this regard. Now, the "love-fest" thing may be a different issue... but I don't think that really relates to Kirino, who has really been the main subject from the get-go.
Old 2012-10-27, 16:06   Link #1470
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This reminds me of romantic triangle anime where the protagonist ends up with a certain heroine while others thought the signs were pointing somewhere else, and then people are disappointed/upset because the story didn't go the way they thought it would.

I guess all I would say is that the foreshadowing was definitely there from the start, but it was subject to interpretation. Over the course of the story, it was progressively making the revelations more and more specific, until one of the two interpretations became less likely. So while it didn't go the way you wanted, I'm not sure that saying the author "sucks" is particularly fair in this regard. Now, the "love-fest" thing may be a different issue... but I don't think that really relates to Kirino, who has really been the main subject from the get-go.
Heh! Ah, the good old days. I think I know of that of which you speak.

As for Ore ... currently gritting my teeth as I read - but I also am convinced the author is a Grand Troll in his own right so I'll wait til the Fat Lady leaves the stage and the lights go off.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:18   Link #1471
larethian

Quote:
I ran my mind through the content in the first 5 volumes. I don't find any particular aspect of the story which indicates any such foreshadowing. The only stronger one is when Kuroneko drew the manga to tease Kirino. It's hard to take any of the rest seriously. Most of the foreshadowing that could be taken a little more seriously came afterwards, after Kirino came back. At least, that's how I see it. Another reason why I can see it this way, especially for the first half, is because of reading demographics and no precedence of such a story in light novel literature AFAIK. This is true even for a certain series which has positioned itself as possibly having incestuous romance since volume 1, but which turned out to be not so in the end. So I believe Oreimo is the first to have set such a precedence for a literature work under an LN label. Saying the author 'sucks' is clearly my personal opinion of him, which I feel I'm entitled to form, especially having spent money on his books. I still want to read the ending having come so far, but I won't be buying it. Probably borrowing it.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 21:14   Link #1472
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I ran my mind through the content in the first 5 volumes. I don't find any particular aspect of the story which indicates any such foreshadowing. The only stronger one is when Kuroneko drew the manga to tease Kirino. It's hard to take any of the rest seriously. Most of the foreshadowing that could be taken a little more seriously came afterwards, after Kirino came back. At least, that's how I see it.
I suppose that the early volumes are more inference about why Kirino is behaving the way she is, how it's connected to the sorts of games she plays, and how they may be intending to develop her character going forward. I simply could never buy that beneath all Kirino's tsundere bluster was just a pure sibling-like affection and love. Likewise with Kyousuke -- the changes that were occurring in him, and his attitude regarding Kirino (and how she affected his attitudes towards everyone before he knew it) just didn't ring true as "he loves her just because she's his sister". Not to mention, I couldn't really buy Kirino having her own brother play siscon eroge just because she "wanted someone else's opinion", particularly as her deeply-personal way of commemorating their having somewhat reconciled (and then insisting upon whether he played it). Of course there were ways of brushing the whole thing aside as being "hard to take seriously", but where there's smoke...

Quote:
Another reason why I can see it this way, especially for the first half, is because of reading demographics and no precedence of such a story in light novel literature AFAIK. This is true even for a certain series which has positioned itself as possibly having incestuous romance since volume 1, but which turned out to be not so in the end. So I believe Oreimo is the first to have set such a precedence for a literature work under an LN label.
I'm not well-versed in the whole breadth of Light Novels available, but given that this topic has been explored fairly extensively in both manga and visual novels (for years long preceding OreImo), it would shock me if this particular medium was exempt. Certainly, it wouldn't be because of reading demographics anyway.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:08   Link #1473
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It's too late to turn back, larethian-san! >:3

I haven't read much about the [summaries of] the light novels, but Kuroneko's decision to let Kirino have Kyousuke is a bit weird to me. (She reminds me of Minori, who let go of her feelings for the sake of her friend, although Kuroneko seems to have Ami's perceptiveness.)

I refuse to believe that this move by Fushimi is "trolling"; it's just that his decision to move the plot like this differs from how most people would see the ending.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 23:01   Link #1474
sleepingleo

I will stick to the master-cockblock for any serious relationship developing for Kirino x Kyo : P-A-R-E-N-T-S.

I dare anyone to tell me their parents (with emphasis in father) would accept, and more, let happen, such a thing.

I mean, really people, do you think a laid back love-comedy such as OreImo will pull a Koikaze here(for anyone that have read/watched it) ?

If author is aiming for a Happy Ending for everyone, a Koikaze-ending is not the answer. I don't see how Kirino and Kyo being alienated from their family will be a happy ending.

Now if he is aiming for a WTF!!-ending that is a whole different matter.
sleepingleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 03:16   Link #1475
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingleo View Post
I will stick to the master-cockblock for any serious relationship developing for Kirino x Kyo : P-A-R-E-N-T-S.

I dare anyone to tell me their parents (with emphasis in father) would accept, and more, let happen, such a thing.

I mean, really people, do you think a laid back love-comedy such as OreImo will pull a Koikaze here(for anyone that have read/watched it) ?
This has been discussed before, and I think there are two different issues:

First, what is the nature of the feelings that Kirino and Kyousuke have for each other?

Second, how is the novel going to resolve those feelings and bring the story to a close?

I think it's been basically agreed by most of us that any sort of potential Kirino ending is probably going to be rather vague and open-ended. Like, for example, she goes off to pursue her modelling gig (as currently planned) and Kyousuke chases after her or goes with her, The End. This way it basically side-steps the issue entirely, and can be left up to interpretation where they go in terms of next steps. There are also of course other ways of acknowledging their feelings but still having Kyousuke pick someone else as a romantic partner, and that's certainly possible too. Heck, he could choose someone else as a romantic partner and still chase after Kirino and it wouldn't even be so out of character. I think the key point, as far as it goes, is that it's no longer possible for the story to pretend that the feelings Kirino and Kyousuke have for each other are pure sibling love, whether they take the next step or not.

In the end, being a romantic comedy, I'm not expecting total and complete resolution from the ending anyway. It'll probably resolve some things, but in another way be "life goes on"... and that's probably fine for this story. Like most romantic comedies, it's a lot more about the tease (and the shipping) than the actual romance.
Old 2012-11-13, 18:11   Link #1476
Hana
izumi

I wasn't sure where to post this d= but I was realllllly hoping to find a summary / translation of Oriemo volume 11. From what I seen, it's been out for about 2 months now? I tried going deep into this thread, but to no avail..

Any help? ^^
Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 18:16   Link #1477
Sumeragi
Banned

Just how exact a summary do you want?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 18:52   Link #1478
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwierdoboi View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this d= but I was realllllly hoping to find a summary / translation of Oriemo volume 11
A link to links from a previous similar request. I'm sure more specific questions could be addressed after that, if you have any.
Old 2012-11-13, 20:06   Link #1479
Hana
izumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Just how exact a summary do you want?
Not sure.. any is fine. I don't know anything about the 11th... other than it's in publication

Quote:
A link to links from a previous similar request. I'm sure more specific questions could be addressed after that, if you have any.
Thanks a ton. Time to reaaaaad!
Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 23:43   Link #1480
Soverence

There seems to be a lot of people who think a Kirino ending is possible, and well I can see where they are coming from, I don't think the author is willing to go there. Well I am sure that he will mend their relationship and confront the feelings that Kirino has, I don't see it going any further then that. Honestly, I was thinking it could go either way, but what made me think it won't happen in the novels actually has nothing to do with the novels, but the games, the second one's Kirino route to be precise.

Spoiler for game stuff:

Also I noticed I am quite late on this train, I really shouldn't have left these forums for like 3 months
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings