AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-09, 00:06   Link #241
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Oh my God, what did I just watch and when can I get more of it?!
My thoughts exactly.

So far the show has style, a honestly cute female character, penguins,
and enough insanity to keep me interested.

I for one welcome our new penguin overlords.
Old 2011-07-09, 00:08   Link #242
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Just what I expected right down to the "Utena marching up the stairs" scene near the end. I love the animation in that one although it may get tiresome if we see it every single episode. And I spotted some cameltoe in there too.

Can't wait to see some cosplay of transformed Himari.
Old 2011-07-09, 00:53   Link #243
Xander

I won't pretend to guess where this story is going so early in its run, but I surely want to follow it to the bitter end after watching the first chapter. I'm actually impressed. Like I said before, this may simply turn out to be an unique experiment and not something truly memorable, which remains to be seen, but a project with this much creativity always deserves to be experienced as far as I'm concerned.

On that note...I'll enjoy reading all of the speculation but don't feel like trying to write an Umineko-style grand theory myself just yet, let alone when it'll probably crumble into tiny little pieces within one or two weeks.
Old 2011-07-09, 01:08   Link #244
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
My thoughts exactly.

So far the show has style, a honestly cute female character, penguins,
and enough insanity to keep me interested.

I for one welcome our new penguin overlords.
No doubt.

Style, humor, mystery, intrigue... This show really hits the spot, and it even made me laugh out loud!
Old 2011-07-09, 02:46   Link #245
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
and I thought Shaft is the most mindfucked animators in the world. Ikuhara was the original mind-fuck business-man. This was very, very good first episode, this fits exactly into my taste.
Personally, Shaft x Shinbo has nothing on Ikuhara's mind. This first episode is a good example, along with the whole of Utena.

I recommend that anyone here who enjoyed the first episode of Penguindrum, and like what you see should check out Revolutionary Girl Utena. Believe me, it's a choice you will not regret.
Old 2011-07-09, 03:39   Link #246
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Lol, the penguins are funnier than expected. And transformation sequences wut.

I will withhold judgement on the show for now; not sure what to think. But it certainly looks like fun regardless.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-09, 04:00   Link #247
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I didn't have quite as strong a first impression to this episode as some, but it was certainly very imaginative and different.

For sheer amusement, I agree with Archon: It was good, and the penguins were quite funny. The philosophical monologue bits were developed enough to make it worth intellectual investment as well.

It was very stylish in parts. Colorful, yet avant garde. That's an unusual and welcomed combination.

The family setup is a bit unusual as well: One sister, two brothers.

Really could have done without that last little bit that hinted at incest, though... Wish that an anime as interestingly atypical as this one would avoid such a common anime trope.

That's my only significant criticism thus far, though.
Old 2011-07-09, 04:13   Link #248
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The family setup is a bit unusual as well: One sister, two brothers.
How is that setup unusual? I've seen it thousands if times in real life. Heck my family is like that.
Old 2011-07-09, 04:17   Link #249
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
How is that setup unusual? I've seen it thousands if times in real life. Heck my family is like that.
Oh, I don't mean in real life. Yes, that family setup is seen frequently in real life.

But I've personally seen it much less so in anime.

Also, I meant that "family setup is unusual" (for an anime) comment there as a compliment, not a criticism.
Old 2011-07-09, 04:38   Link #250
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I

Really could have done without that last little bit that hinted at incest, though... Wish that an anime as interestingly atypical as this one would avoid such a common anime trope.
You should know who's the one that among the first that setting the "trend" though.

Its like you asking Tomino not playing his " random boy found robot at somewhere" card. That's my grudge to anyone that complaining the incest part, just saying.

Btw I should know why you uncomfortable bout incest trope though.
Old 2011-07-09, 05:08   Link #251
Tom Bombadil

In case anyone looking for the lyric of the insert song.

http://lyric.kget.jp/lyric/vw/yg/

Looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2011-07-09, 06:07   Link #252
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Btw I should know why you uncomfortable bout incest trope though.
I don't know about Triple_R but in my case it's the dynamic of the big brother who clearly desires his younger sister and go as far as taking advantage of her who makes me uncomfortable. And this is only episode 1...

An older person (guy or girl, this isn't the point) stealing a kiss to someone who is asleep knowing that he/she would most certainly disagree to the act if he/she was conscious doesn't attract any sympathy from me.
Even if the two weren't related by blood, I'd disagree with Kanba's acts. But them being siblings only further my feeling that he betrayed her in that scene. Which I hope he will come to regret later...
Old 2011-07-09, 06:32   Link #253
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
I don't know about Triple_R but in my case it's the dynamic of the big brother who clearly desires his younger sister and go as far as taking advantage of her who makes me uncomfortable. And this is only episode 1...

An older person (guy or girl, this isn't the point) stealing a kiss to someone who is asleep knowing that he/she would most certainly disagree to the act if he/she was conscious doesn't attract any sympathy from me.
Even if the two weren't related by blood, I'd disagree with Kanba's acts. But them being siblings only further my feeling that he betrayed her in that scene. Which I hope he will come to regret later...
Spoiler for Maybe spoilerish:

Yeah I def liked the style of this show it's very different, I'm excited to see where it goes.
Old 2011-07-09, 06:40   Link #254
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post

I'm sorry but I'm only can grinning like that emoticon reading this part.

Damn, we gonna have such a hugeeeeee backlash regarding this show.
Old 2011-07-09, 06:49   Link #255
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Spoiler for Maybe spoilerish:
None of it making it more acceptable. Understandable maybe. He has his reasons, but frankly it doesn't change anything to what he did. He has the choice to deal with his feelings and solve the matter with Himari now. If he does that, well then ok. If he keeps lying and being a creep, pretty sure he will end in my list of "Most hated characters ever", right next to Akio .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Damn, we gonna have such a hugeeeeee backlash regarding this show.
Well, I'm ready to be trolled hard by Ikuhara. I insanely loved Utena but it was also the serie who gave me the most violent emotions I ever experienced in front of my tv : hope, despair, joy, dawwww, wth and rage. Oh the rage. Akio, Utena, Anthy. A nightmare for my nerves.
So well, I'm prepared for whatever comes ^^'.

Last edited by Nina.Wolken; 2011-07-09 at 07:00.
Old 2011-07-09, 07:00   Link #256
Lumir

OH MY GOSH! I dont even... What just happend! There just no WORDS!

ONLY IN JAPAN!

I mean this is so different yet i find myself so in to it that I couldnt even finish the episode before having to come here and just say something!

I will deffo be fallowing this, its new, unique, and interesting! OMG the penguins the story its all ridiculously AWESOME!

SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
Old 2011-07-09, 07:50   Link #257
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

My line of thought in order
  • The younger sister who recovered from death? A MIRACLE.
  • Hmm... did I see a penguin who hand him the card, the cabbage, and the umbrela. Wtf another one even was sliding cucumber and spray insecticide to kill that cockroach
  • SURVIVAL STRATEGY
  • Wtf did i just watch? Btw, isn't that girl (Penguin Queen?)looks a bit like a certain Venus girl?
  • I don't know what is her purpose. But i approve what she did, step down in style and slowly strip her clothes
  • Hey, a**hole watch where you are kissing your sister...

Mixed feeling really. Currently in the threshold between "Drop it NOW" and "Next episode PLOX". Is it just a normal shoujo anime. Or did i just watch something extraordinary?
Old 2011-07-09, 08:17   Link #258
NaweG
Just some guy

Having just read through the last several pages, I'm a little surprised I didn't see more comments on just how much the style of this seemed to reflect a lot of Shinbo ala Bakemonogatari - particularly the use of signs and white space. Regardless of the source of this one man force of nature behind this series, the style seemed a bit more Shaft than Brain Base.

Then again, I was feeling by the end of this that Shaft was cleverly doing the Madoka second season they hinted at, but changing Sayaka and Mami into guys this time...

Regardless, I agree with most folks here that I look forward to seeing if the promise of the first episode can be delivered on.
Old 2011-07-09, 08:40   Link #259
liro
Super Driver

http://moca-news.net/article/20110707/201107071854a/01/

http://www.movic.jp/index.php?ctrl=sheet&code=15133
Old 2011-07-09, 08:46   Link #260
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Did Ikuhara just make penguins cool, cuz I think he pulled it off.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism