AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-04, 06:31   Link #221
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I know it's the point... that's why I said I'd like to see it. I meant it in a genuine way, not an overly-critical "why haven't we seen this yet" way.
Sorry if I misunderstood. It's just that you said it in a post where you agreed with SQA that ep 1 screwed up, and I was trying to point out that it didn't...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 06:36   Link #222
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

It's all good~ I should've clarified a bit more. While I'm not a fan of how episode 1 played out, from the moment I was done watching it, I was still curious to see more about these characters (as awkward as I may find them) and where they came from. Miyuki especially.
Old 2013-04-04, 11:31   Link #223
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Just watched the TV airing of episode 1, the premise is interesting due to the mystery elements in play but the character development seems largely predictable. Although it doesn't mean it won't be fun seeing them change ever so slightly. There is a lack of flow in Miyuki and Izumiko conversation but while disjointed shows the point that her doesn't really give a damn about her, basically we just need a important event to create the spark and chemistry that hopefully improves the on screen chemistry.
Old 2013-04-04, 13:47   Link #224
ookamigirl

Well, at first it was pretty boring and I wanted to drop it.
After that it kinda got a bit more interesting.
That girl totally isn't in control of her powers.
Izumiko - Miyuki situation looked kinda promising.
Maybe I'll give this anime a chance and a few more episodes.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 13:48   Link #225
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought that was an incredibly intriguing first episode. Izumiko may not be the most compelling character herself, but thankfully the circumstances surrounding her ended up being very interesting indeed. Miyuki seemed like a right arsehole but it just makes me even more interested in where he's coming from, though showing him beaten up like that was a pretty strong hint (as well as a pretty shocking and sombre twist).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 15:42   Link #226
Ghanw
(-_-)

From what I see is that deep down Miyuki is a caring guy, but is also a coward and shy therefore he puts this front so that others don't see him as a weak person. Also due to the circumstances with his father and being dragged to izumiko's place he could of felt like he was being disdained as to how could someone drag and make his dad like that. (Dont mind me just had to release some steam from work)
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 16:21   Link #227
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
He was what, 7 years old? I hardly think that constitutes definitive proof or disproof of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It's not like he spent his whole childhood tormenting her , it happened one time

Doing something mean one time to someone doesn't make you a bully.
I agree that one scene doesn't make for a smoking gun but there's usually meaning to every (or most) scene in a show. Adding that particular scene there was meant, in my view, to paint Miyuki as some who has been abusing Izumiko ever since he was a child.

I'm not saying I don't understand what the director is going for with the Miyuki - Izumiko relationship, I'm just saying that they painted him as too much of a bully for what I assume they plan to do for his character growth in the series.
Old 2013-04-05, 03:49   Link #228
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I agree that one scene doesn't make for a smoking gun but there's usually meaning to every (or most) scene in a show. Adding that particular scene there was meant, in my view, to paint Miyuki as some who has been abusing Izumiko ever since he was a child.

I'm not saying I don't understand what the director is going for with the Miyuki - Izumiko relationship, I'm just saying that they painted him as too much of a bully for what I assume they plan to do for his character growth in the series.
The entire second half of ep 1 was terribly done. Unfortunately, from the information we have in eps 2 & 3, the only conclusion we can draw is that the scenes were there to give forced "growth" when, really, they were attempting for us not to feel sympathy for the boy that got his ass kicked, told he was only good enough to be a servant and, just to make matters more fun, had his entire life upended so he could move there.

Most of the time those scenes are played over with music to help elicit sympathy for a character. But, no, here they toss in a scene from their childhood to break that response. The scene just so happens to actually paint Izumiko as in need of intervention for serious mental issues.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 06:59   Link #229
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Damn, is it eps 3 in webcasts already? Seems like I'd be avoiding reading this thread, because the TV broadcasts are just stunningly gorgeous to look at. Webcast really don't do it justice.

But yeah, just realized Yukimasa had Miyuki when he was only 18. Like holy crap, that's early. And Miyuki probably is jealous of Izumiko because she has all at the attention of his bishounen father lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 07:14   Link #230
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Most of the time those scenes are played over with music to help elicit sympathy for a character. But, no, here they toss in a scene from their childhood to break that response. The scene just so happens to actually paint Izumiko as in need of intervention for serious mental issues.
I hope you're not trying to say that what we saw in the flashback was actually Izumiko's fault for having serious mental issues or something...

We had enough scenes to feel sympathy for Miyuki and understand his underlying issues. But that doesn't excuse him being an ass to Izumiko both in the present and in the past flashback. Izumiko's "stepmother" (aunt?) even says that Miyuki used to bully Izumiko when they were small, and he himself admits as much to Izumiko. That's how this character is, and given the shot of them as children in the OP we'll probably see more of their childhood and learn how they ended up like that.
Old 2013-04-05, 08:28   Link #231
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I hope you're not trying to say that what we saw in the flashback was actually Izumiko's fault for having serious mental issues or something...

We had enough scenes to feel sympathy for Miyuki and understand his underlying issues. But that doesn't excuse him being an ass to Izumiko both in the present and in the past flashback. Izumiko's "stepmother" (aunt?) even says that Miyuki used to bully Izumiko when they were small, and he himself admits as much to Izumiko. That's how this character is, and given the shot of them as children in the OP we'll probably see more of their childhood and learn how they ended up like that.
I've said it's terribly done for a reasons besides just being terribly done: looking for any depth at what was shown says Izumiko, especially in ep 1, has a SERIOUS condition that's hasn't been treated, or even looked into. Izumiko was showing signs of severe, nearly crippling, social anxiety. This is reflected in the childhood flashback. A young child that will neither fight back, flee nor cry out for help is in really bad shape. A child being unable to access and use those responses is not in a good place, either in mental state or emotional state.

Further, given the information that we got about Izumiko in ep 1, the reality is that Miyuki's actions as a child makes perfect sense. Children are ruthless on socially inattentive other children for a reason: the child unable to socialize is defective. Children abhor someone that won't even respond, as they have no limits to check against. (This is a nice way of saying you, as a young child, would have done something similar)

As for Miyuki being, well, angry? He had every right to be. Izumiko pretty much just sat there as he was disrespected to the core of his being. She deserved no respect from him, irregardless of he was having a pretty terrible day.

This is why I said the second half of ep 1 was terribly done on the writing and directing end. The characterization in eps 2 & 3 are, in effect, fairly different. Miyuki isn't being setup as some jerk (he's actually coming across as straight-laced and dutiful) and Izumiko is just shy for legitimate reasons. It's a pretty damn massive change from ep 1. Which means either they botched ep 1's writing or someone in production changed things from ep 2 on. The start was almost clunky enough to derail the entire series, which is quite pretty.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 08:39   Link #232
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

When a man loves his son..... he beats submission into him from a young age.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:51   Link #233
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I just saw this

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Wondered if this was actually real and sure enough it is
Old 2013-04-05, 14:22   Link #234
kuromitsu

Quote:
I've said it's terribly done for a reasons besides just being terribly done: looking for any depth at what was shown says Izumiko, especially in ep 1, has a SERIOUS condition that's hasn't been treated, or even looked into. Izumiko was showing signs of severe, nearly crippling, social anxiety. This is reflected in the childhood flashback. A young child that will neither fight back, flee nor cry out for help is in really bad shape. A child being unable to access and use those responses is not in a good place, either in mental state or emotional state.
Even assuming that this is the case (and very likely it's not) - how exactly does that excuse Miyuki bullying her?

Quote:
Further, given the information that we got about Izumiko in ep 1, the reality is that Miyuki's actions as a child makes perfect sense. Children are ruthless on socially inattentive other children for a reason: the child unable to socialize is defective. Children abhor someone that won't even respond, as they have no limits to check against. (This is a nice way of saying you, as a young child, would have done something similar)
Again - assuming this is the case, do you seriously think it excuses his behavior? By the way, if you pay attention to the scene, she is responding: she's crying. That's a pretty strong response if you ask me. And fwiw Miyuki himself says why he did it, and it's pretty much in line with his later attitude toward her.

Quote:
As for Miyuki being, well, angry? He had every right to be. Izumiko pretty much just sat there as he was disrespected to the core of his being. She deserved no respect from him, irregardless of he was having a pretty terrible day.
He was a total douchebag to her from the moment they met in the episode, when there was no talk of him being her servant and whatnot.

Quote:
This is why I said the second half of ep 1 was terribly done on the writing and directing end. The characterization in eps 2 & 3 are, in effect, fairly different. Miyuki isn't being setup as some jerk (he's actually coming across as straight-laced and dutiful) and Izumiko is just shy for legitimate reasons. It's a pretty damn massive change from ep 1. Which means either they botched ep 1's writing or someone in production changed things from ep 2 on. The start was almost clunky enough to derail the entire series, which is quite pretty.
Or maybe Miyuki decided that since he can't do anything about the situation he is in, he might as well make the best of it. Or maybe the novel had some material about their relationship between ep 1 and ep 2 that the anime cut for time reasons. Do you have any proof that your theory is right? Frankly, I think you're trying to find excuses for Miyuki's behavior, even though from what we've seen so far the entire point is that both he and Izumiko have issues and flaws that they'll gradually get over as they get to know each other more and influence one another.

Quote:
Images
Wonder why they didn't use #rdng or something...
Old 2013-04-05, 18:18   Link #235
Dr. Casey

Quote:
(This is a nice way of saying you, as a young child, would have done something similar)
Why does everyone keep saying this? If another kid refused to play with me when I was little, I might have my feelings hurt (if they were rude) and I might feel sympathetic (if they came across as just shy), but those would be about the only two options... throwing things at the other person never would've occured to me. You guys might have just been mean kids.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 21:25   Link #236
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
For whatever reason I didn't have a problem feeling more sympathetic regarding Miyuki's situation compared to everyone else. Yeah, what he did as a kid or his words in the present aren't nice, but I can completely get where he's coming from. Regardless of the completely broken relationship with his father, he's now stuck in this terrible situation. Either pretty well act as the manservant to this girl without any confidence or die. Really, death is the only way out of this situation for him. People get pissed in reality for a whole lot less than this. May not be picking the best target here, but in a sense his whole life has been messed up because of her. So it's not like she's an unrelated third party either.

Not that I don't like Izumiko, but don't particularly hate Miyuki either. Certainly not going to add to her happiness knowing both that she has this person around that doesn't really like her. Plus, probable guilt for decisions she tried to make in her own best interests actually causing someone's life to get thrown into disarray. Feel bad for her situation as well.

Frankly I just feel bad for both of them while wanting to kick Miyuki's father over a cliff. Calling him a jerk would be putting it mildly.
Old 2013-04-06, 15:12   Link #237
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
I just saw this

Images

lmao "hacking."
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 20:30   Link #238
lightbringer
M9000

I like how people "stole" their tag. Like it has any property rights attached to it. It belongs to Twitter, if anything.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 10:41   Link #239
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
I just saw this

Images

*facepalm*

Well, that's what you get when you don't secure your hashtags...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 13:15   Link #240
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
lmao "hacking."
Don't they say "hijacked" not "hacked"?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, p.a. works, school life, seinen, shoujo