AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-12-22, 02:37   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Questions about MacBook Air from a Mac Noob

My father has ordered a MacBook Air, and I have some questions about Macs. First, I know that computer virus risks are much lower for Macs, but I hear that some people make PC viruses that can also damage Macs. Should my father get anti-virus software? If the virus risks aren't that high, is there a good free anti-virus software that will work good with Macs? Does any respectable anti-virus company (like AVG and Avast) offer protection for Macs?

Also, about external DVD drives, there is a MacBook Air slim external DVD drive from Apple. I read reviews from Apple's site and there are mixed reviews. People saying things like the cord is way too short, the drive ruined someone's DVDs, and that it is overpriced. Are these flukes? Is the Apple portable super drive reliable, or should my father get a 3rd party external disc drive that is made specifically for Macs?
Old 2011-12-22, 09:11   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
The risks of getting a virus is slim on a mac but not zero as there are mac specific viruses out there (plus the fake AV crowd has moved over to the mac as well) so as long as sense is used whilst browsing (and your father doesn't use any counterfeit software) then the built in anti-malware module should be enough to fend off the major threats that are out there like the fake AV programs and certain threats that pose as other programs.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 11:27   Link #3
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Macs aren't popular enough to get real that many real viruses written for it yet. You do have to be careful still of trojans and stuff that trick the user into installing them.

On the topic of external optical drive. People complain more often than they praise. Those cases where something goes terribly wrong is more often a fluke than a normal occurrence.

Do note that the superdrive is slot load. They do have a higher chance of destroying your disk than tray load drives. I wouldn't worry, but if you are really concerned about it, you might want to look for a tray load drive.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 13:44   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I notice no vents on the MacBook Air's underside. Is it safe to place it on a couch or bed and have it sitting there for hours while in use? I can't find any vents on the system, but maybe they are there and I don't see them.
Old 2011-12-25, 14:19   Link #5
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I don't think any of the Macs have vents on the underside. Good design decision imho.
Old 2011-12-25, 14:25   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I notice no vents on the MacBook Air's underside. Is it safe to place it on a couch or bed and have it sitting there for hours while in use? I can't find any vents on the system, but maybe they are there and I don't see them.
Mac book Air's design is not about things functional but about making it as slim as possible.

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/apple-ma.../478825?seq=31

The fan is in the right top corner. However I wouldn't recommend soft squishy surfaces for any kind of laptop, but specially this one because it only has 1 line for airflow and if that is blocked you can guess what happens.
As long as it isn't blocked then it's alright. I hear many people do levitate that back part for better airflow.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:08   Link #7
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The actual vent I believe is in the hinge region. I don't think that is going to get blocked easily from a squishy surface.

EDIT: Don't put in on a soft surface. The entire aluminum body is a heatsink... You need to let air circulate around the bottom == no use on squishy surface.
Old 2011-12-27, 17:27   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Alright, thanks guys. Good to know those things. If one ever wanted to use a laptop or ultraportable on a bed, they could put it on a flat surface like a children's book (hardcover, light, thin)? I might want an ultraportable one day, and I'd want to watch anime and web browse in bed. What a day and age we live in. Bring computer use to your comfy bed.

So using a laptop or ultraportable on one's lap works alright. Just happens to be enough airflow, huh?
Old 2011-12-27, 17:40   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Yes, a flat hard surface such as a book should be fine.

On your lap. Its generally okay. Some higher performance laptops shouldn't be on your lap when doing high performance activities (gaming) though.