AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 43 13.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 6.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 8.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 6.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 12 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 135 42.45%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-17, 21:54   Link #461
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Did Kyon make a reference to Evangelion after taking off the frog suit?
Yes, he did. Ramiel shooting the shielded EVA-00 with its particle canon, which was taken to its extreme conclusion in Rebuild of EVA movie 1.
Old 2009-07-17, 22:19   Link #462
otaku_trev

They are going to have up until episode 8 as endless summer story arc. Is there a reason for it? Why can't Kyon move at the end of every episode and say something to Haruhi? The wait will be well worth it if Kyon kisses Haruhi or something at the end, but I would have to say that watching all 6 episodes in a row, not weekly, can be very tedious. Is the direct running short on money? Did the voice actors go on strike? What is happening in Japan to cause there to be 6 episodes of the exact same stuff?

I guess it can all be summed up with this answer: Haruhi isn't satisfied yet with her summer experience. C'mon Kyon *wink* *wink* just sneakily come up behind Haruhi and say "I love you" already. The only cool thing about endless summer hopefully ending on episode 8 is that turned sideways 8 looks like the symbol for infinite. Very clever!
Old 2009-07-17, 22:22   Link #463
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku_trev View Post
Did the voice actors go on strike? What is happening in Japan to cause there to be 6 episodes of the exact same stuff?
Everything is redone for every episode. They are completely new episodes, just with the same plot.
Old 2009-07-17, 22:25   Link #464
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Yes, he did. Ramiel shooting the shielded EVA-00 with its particle canon, which was taken to its extreme conclusion in Rebuild of EVA movie 1.
Heh, I totally forgot about Kyon's little Eva shout out! I cracked up 'cause it was the first of his references that I caught right away. :P
Old 2009-07-17, 22:44   Link #465
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Still the same damn plot but at least this episode was worth watching just for the change to the music there with the time loop discussion. Totally changed the mood of the entire scene, that was awesome. And the clock effect at the very end there was a nice touch. Now those are the kind of changes I like to see.
Old 2009-07-17, 23:29   Link #466
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

All this talk of DVD sales got me thinking...

How many people who started watching Haruhi from the very beginning dropped the series ENTIRELY because of Endless Eight? People who forever swear off watching any sort of Haruhi related future from here on out?

From the looks of it, very few if any at all. You've got the people angry at them wasting time/resources/air time that can be otherwise used to animate something else, and you've got the bored people who only peek at the episode to see if it ended already. Regardless, both of these groups will continue watching Haruhi after Endless Eight is over, since they want to see 'new' material animated, and so the fanbase remains intact.

And if the fanbase remains intact from the gimmicks of multiple Endless Eight, have they really lost money?

We all know that the hardcore base of Haruhi's fandom is numerous who would buy Haruhi regardless, and that there will still be non-hardcore people who's pleased with Endless Eight. And Japanese people being hellbent on collecting things, even those who didn't like Endless Eight will probably still buy Endless Eight just for completion's sake. Nothing irks a collector more than seeing empty spots on a boxset, after all.

Of course, this is mere speculation until we get hard DVD sale numbers, but I seriously doubt DVD sales will suffer much because of these. And if DVD sales don't suffer (or at least they still made a bit of profit), fanbase number didn't decrease, AND they extended the life of their cashcow, then in their eyes, mission accomplished.

To put it in perspective, let's assume it takes this much to animate Haruhi...

a) 14 Eps of S1
b) 1 Eps of Endless Eight
c) 5 repeats of Endless Eight
d) 35 Eps the rest

Assuming not a lot of people quit Haruhi entirely because of the 5 repeats (which from reactions here, 2ch, 4ch, and various blogging sites I've visited, seems to hold true as of now), the same number of people would still buy AT LEAST a, b and d. They might not buy repeating Endless Eight, but these people would still buy everything else.

As for c), considering how big and rabid the hardcore fanbase of Haruhi seems to be, I find it hard to believe they'd actually lose money from the repeats. The may not sell as much DVDs as a, b, and d, but odds are they'd still make the money they spent on c and then some.

As such, I really don't see any advantage of only airing a, b, and d, when airing c will not decrease the sales of a/b/d.

tl;dr
Unless a significant portion of the fanbase is RAGEQUIT'ing Haruhi forever because of Endless Eight, this is not going to hurt the franchise at all.

And from the looks of it, people aren't so much RAGEQUIT'ing as much as just wanting a new arc to start...

Now back to the episode, this episode is TERRIFIC. It was Endless Eight, but so far feels the least like it. I hope they stick with animation team for the rest of the season, since they are heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack.
Old 2009-07-17, 23:45   Link #467
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

I was just thinking. I wish that all of the Endless Eight 8 episodes had been as different as this one was. This one really set itself apart from the last 2. I wonder if all the episodes had been more different from eachother like this one if people would have been happier.
Old 2009-07-18, 00:01   Link #468
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Half the RAGEQUIT group has calmed down after five weeks of Endless Eight. Sure they are still upset, but they've gotten over the RAGE part and certainly over the QUIT part. They are still watching and/or waiting. Endless Eight will end...they know it to be true...for there are four episodes left of the 2006 run that haven't been rerun yet....and those are some of, if not the best episodes of the 2006 series.

Others have decided to just watch Endless Eight and come to the conclusion that if this wasn't the same plot week after week, these episodes are fairly good on their own.
Old 2009-07-18, 00:25   Link #469
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
I was just thinking. I wish that all of the Endless Eight 8 episodes had been as different as this one was. This one really set itself apart from the last 2. I wonder if all the episodes had been more different from eachother like this one if people would have been happier.
It won't work that way, cause if E8 1 to 3 "had been as different", ppl will rage less back then, but rage more now since the change is constant....

What they did was: same stuffs still E8-3, let major of fan boiled with despair. "Nice plane" and few change at E8-4 to satisfy those in acceptance state and let the rest rage to hell. E8-5 with several new contents to satisfy those who still here watching (and in acceptance mode) after 5 loops......
Old 2009-07-18, 00:30   Link #470
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ragequitting is one thing, but I know many folks who are much bigger fans of Haruhi and have pretty much stopped watching it, only asking me over AIM if the arc ended or looped again. Considering they follow a lot more anime than I do, I surmise they choose not to waste their time watching a repeat of the last 4 episodes (while I'm only following this, Umineko, Canaan and Sora Kake Girl).

Most of them have plainly admitted that they will not buy DVDs of S2 and by and large have declared the entire thing Discontinuity.

I'm not too inclined to disagree, but I keep watching for their sake (and boredom's sake as well).

The way I see it, the whole thing is a massive Xanatos Gambit to drive up the sales of Haruhi season three, which will undoubtedly be the adaptation we've all been waiting for--The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya.

My theory is that KyoAni plans to use S2 as a springboard for the Vanishment adaptation.

To drive its fans insane with Endless Eights and a few episodes based on the events of The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I was not impressed with that volume, and apparently I am not alone in this opinion. The frustrating and maddeningly IRL-troll-alike nature of S2 will whip the fanbase into a frenzy over the course of fourteen episodes...

... and the minute the season ends, KyoAni will start up the galaxy-sized hype generator advertising Haruhi S3, the adaptation of Vanishment.

So relieved and excited the fanbase will be, after the end of a beautifully-crafted but ultimately Stylistic Suck S2, that the ratings and DVD sales figures for S3 will be exorbitantly high.

That is my prediction.
Old 2009-07-18, 00:33   Link #471
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
I've also thought that the extreme similarity between Endless Eight 2 and 3 might have caused a lot of the uproar. 3 was, in my opinion, the weakest of the Endless Eights, and felt the most like a lower-quality rehash of the second episode. It had its moments, but by and large it felt like 2 with some still montages thrown in. 2 and 3 were fairly similar in style to the archetypal Endless Eight, but the quality seemed to have deteriorated to some degree by the third episode, and this was obviously not a good way to introduce the fanbase to the idea of several repeats of the story.

Endless Eight 4 was, obviously, significantly different, but at the same time a lot of people didn't like the art direction and animation, and a subset of those people took it as an indication of the decline of Haruhi's quality. In my opinion, it was pretty obvious from the second episode that KyoAni were trying out various art styles and animation directors and that the changes in style were endemic to Endless Eight. 4 seemed to be an especially polarizing episode because of its art style.

Endless Eight 5 is, in my opinion, the best iteration so far. The animation and art are very good, and the direction is a departure from the previous episodes. It had the most Haruhi-like flourishes, including the rotating screen and the mini-loop of Haruhi leaving the cafe. It was overall a very strong episode, and significantly better than 3. If 2 and 3 had been up to the standard of 5 in terms of art and direction, I do think the reaction would have been more positive. I'm sure there would still be a complaining faction, but that's to be expected.

I do think KyoAni have made an effort to differentiate the episodes, but the intentional changes in art style haven't gone over very well with the fans.
Old 2009-07-18, 01:27   Link #472
mokuseimaru

I actually deigned to watch the episode thoroughly (I admit unabashedly to skimming until then). It made me go back and look over the story, and you know, I was surprised about how much has been left out of every iteration so far.
  • The bike ride to the pool is never shown
  • Almost all the dialogue from the Yukata shop is cut.
  • Half of Kyon and Koizumi's cell-phone conversation is cut.
  • A lot of Kyon and Koizumi's conversation on the roof of Nagato's apartment is cut.

It makes me less sympathetic to the idea that they needed to stretch out the material with so much repetition.

So, in any case, my opinion really hasn't changed. The same effect could have been created with less episodes. There are moments of novel imagery and perspective (like the ticking-screen in this one) in iterations 2-4. But for every different bit there are parts like the introduction of the list, pretty much all of the Obon-festival and the fireworks, and Kyon and Koizumi's rooftop discussion that have almost nothing novel, even in terms of imagery. You know, if you took these four episodes and edited them down to a single 30-35 minute episode that featured the best images and perspective tricks from each episode, it would probably work. But as it is, I don't think it will stand the test of time.
Old 2009-07-18, 02:08   Link #473
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Then again, I think eliciting very, very charged opinion will ensure that such a piece does enter into annals of history. I will leave out sentiment, artistic value, or even that of commercial merit aside, but the collective memory for this spectacle is one that will endure, and animators will speak of this for decades to come, be it a successful commercial venture or not. The exposure that the entire franchise has had means that shoving this entire saga as a sidenote will be difficult, if not downright impossible, for even just one mentioning about Kadokawa/KyoAni that refers to outdo Groundhog Day will be enough to bait people into watching this very thing.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-07-18, 02:23   Link #474
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I do wonder how other anime studios will react toward this. Will the parodies start at one point in the not so distant future?
Old 2009-07-18, 02:56   Link #475
Jintor

I sure hope Zetsubou Sensei does something.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:01   Link #476
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I sure hope Zetsubou Sensei does something.
It is inevitable.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:26   Link #477
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Then again, I think eliciting very, very charged opinion will ensure that such a piece does enter into annals of history. I will leave out sentiment, artistic value, or even that of commercial merit aside, but the collective memory for this spectacle is one that will endure, and animators will speak of this for decades to come, be it a successful commercial venture or not. The exposure that the entire franchise has had means that shoving this entire saga as a sidenote will be difficult, if not downright impossible, for even just one mentioning about Kadokawa/KyoAni that refers to outdo Groundhog Day will be enough to bait people into watching this very thing.
. . . Pepsi Clear Crystal Pespi.

That is all.

Last edited by mokuseimaru; 2009-07-18 at 05:10.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:29   Link #478
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
. . . Pepsi Clear.

That is all.
It's "Crystal Pepsi", and I think "New Coke" would be a better example in this case.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:38   Link #479
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's "Crystal Pepsi", and I think "New Coke" would be a better example in this case.
Coke never set Michael Jackson on fire.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:55   Link #480
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depending on the meaning of "fire" in this context, is that a bad thing?