AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-05-20, 00:09   Link #141
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

While its good suggestion, one must not press the voters to comply.. They just end up scared to vote.

A good compromised would just remove the name from the vote list.. so for example .. voters just post like this

1. Entry #34
2. Entry #26
3. Entry #09

Most of us here will still recognized each other's work but there should be an air of anonymous a bit for other voters.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 00:15   Link #142
nammerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
A good compromised would just remove the name from the vote list.. so for example .. voters just post like this

1. Entry #34
2. Entry #26
3. Entry #09

Most will still recognized each other's work but there should be an air of anonymous a bit.
Agreed. This would be the best suggestion.. although some artists put their names on their work xP
nammerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 00:18   Link #143
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Yes.. some would put their names on, some would openly post their creation for C&C, and some will still use it in their signature slots.. but you can hide all trace of ur and pm your entry straight to solace as well.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-05-20, 02:46   Link #144
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Well, I always put my username on my works to prevent possible theft (which did happen to me with the very first detext I did ><)

Its unlikely that I will change this habit of mine soon (or never) because of such experiences.
Old 2008-05-22, 00:15   Link #145
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I dont know how others are vote, but for me.. I tend to use the process of eliminations.. the first I take into account of the theme in question, skill or technique didnt matter (last theme for example, I eliminated nearly half on this process alone). Each of this start with +1 points, then the 2nd phase takes into account on the technique and end result and lastly the last stage is +1 to any fancy stuff (biased point + animation + anything ..its +1 to each.. enought o break any ties).
That's pretty much how I decide on my votes. Theme first, then I figure in how creative the person tried to be with the theme, then I figure in the difficulty level. It actually helps me to know who made what signature, because sometimes a good signature maker will feel they need to be less competitive and turn in something "average" (it's above average, but not their true effort), but a lesser skilled maker might try very hard and turn in something much better than they normally do.

So when I look at an entry, one of my thoughts is to look at the name of the person and think "did this contestant really put some time into this?". Admittedly, it's personal opinion, but I try to be fair and give credit where it's due. It's the last thing on my list though, because following the theme and being creative with it are a little more important than just making a good signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerboi View Post
Perhaps they (voters) should give reasons WHY they voted for their selection. Not things like "Oh i love that anime/character so i'll vote for that" or "Oh that's a new style u have there *insert name of popular person*". Well you get where im going with this right?
See the text after the quote below.

Quote:
While its good suggestion, one must not press the voters to comply.. They just end up scared to vote.

1. Entry #34
2. Entry #26
3. Entry #09

Most of us here will still recognized each other's work but there should be an air of anonymous a bit for other voters.
This is a fair compromise between those who want anonymous voting and those who don't. However, it does require keeping track of who's entry is who's....which also means that a list would need to be made off site to keep track of that. It's a little more work if that route is chosen since it means more things to watch over.

And like KiNa notes, it's not true anonymity. Some works are easy to tell who did them, and it doesn't really discourage people from having biased votes, at best it will just be a little less obvious that there is bias since instead of names, there would be numbers.

It also won't prevent people from voting strictly on other things like "I loved that show/character" or "I only vote for crops/renders/c4d/animation/etc". Which is why I feel anonymous voting is ultimately pointless if you can't narrow down criteria for voters to base their judgments on or at least make them give reasons as to why they voted the way they did.

Also, more numbers makes me go cross eyed. I hate math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
Well, I always put my username on my works to prevent possible theft (which did happen to me with the very first detext I did ><)

Its unlikely that I will change this habit of mine soon (or never) because of such experiences.
I suspect there's a fair number of people on the forums who would sympathize and agree with you.
Old 2008-06-30, 02:05   Link #146
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

OK, this might get long, so if it does I apologize in advance.

As some might be aware, my posting on this forum has dropped quite a bit in the last month. This isn't intentional, but unfortunately real life circumstances are not as good as I would like.

I won't go into detail, but essentially the mortgage crisis has hit my mother very hard and she is losing her home. Because of this, I have been fighting very hard to help her keep home but it's a losing (and very stressful) battle. As I have learned, when companies claim they are willing to help it's only halfway - at the end if things don't agree with their bottom line they are willing to take any loss.

What this means for me is that I haven't been around much to handle the SOTM. In a way it was inevitable, I couldn't keep running the contest by myself forever, and eventually I would have to make a public appeal for help. Thankfully last month KiNA helped with putting the entry list together and Marina helped with vote counting. However next month is the beginning of a very shaky period where I can't guarantee that I will be around to manage things very often.

To that end, for the month of July at least, I will need regular Fan Creation posters who would be willing to assist with gathering the Entry List and counting votes. If you are interested post here or private message me and we'll work out the details.

I am very very proud of the SOTM and it has grown from a small idea to a regular contest that continues to bring out some of the best (and sometimes the worst ) in everyone who participates. This is something that I fully expected to fail after a few months and it's not only still going, it's thriving. This wouldn't be possible without the regular support of the Animesuki members and staff who continue to help make this a fun event that anyone can participate in.

Thank you, everyone, for helping to make these forums not just a great place to visit, but a home away from home.
Old 2008-06-30, 03:00   Link #147
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I'll do whatever I can to help ^_^ If that means counting votes again, I'm all up for it!
*hugs Solace tight* You've been doing a great job, but everyone needs a bit of a break now and then and you certainly deserve it.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 03:23   Link #148
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Same here, I'll try to help in whatever way I can. Real life problems do get to you and there are times for breaks. Solace you really deserve one.
Old 2008-06-30, 03:26   Link #149
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

No problem, family comes first Solace.. I'll take the mantle in the mean time and see the contest running smoothly except for one thing.. I need someone to count the votes

Edit:
We could also set up a contest committee if there's several volunteers too
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Last edited by KiNA; 2008-06-30 at 03:51.
Old 2008-06-30, 04:39   Link #150
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

I guess i could help out counting votes, it shouldn't be that hard
Avantoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 07:45   Link #151
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Since I'm online almost everyday. I wouldn't mind helping with the vote counting.
Old 2008-06-30, 08:51   Link #152
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

If assistance is needed, feel free to ask me. Solace does certainly deserve a break indeed! Thanks for your earlier establishment with the SOTM, and we will all try to keep the SOTM going as best we can.
Oh, and Sol - best of luck with the mortgage crisis. *nods*
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 10:24   Link #153
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Yeah wow, hate to see things like that happen, best of luck as well.

Id also be up for anything I could help with, my sig making skills are rusting over, but Im pretty good with organizing things, so id be up for anything. Best of luck again.
Ayame_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 11:43   Link #154
Shana

I know how the mortgage feels Solace =) me and a friend of mine were playing Monopoly and she made me mortgage

Sorry, I always like to make jokes XD. But really, good luck with that best wishes for you! real life comes first we'll be able to carry on this contest. Also you really need a break, you've been pulling your hair (at this point I don't quite think you have hair left XD) for this contest too much!

I am willing to help with listing entries, since numbers (counting votes) isn't my thing.
Old 2008-06-30, 12:01   Link #155
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

@ Solace, pretty much what everybody had said already, just focus your life now and we'll make sure that once you're back, everything will be better!
(And I add myself to the list of free laborers)

Also, I made a SOTM wall since nobody else did it yet.
Spoiler for Big image:

Last edited by cicido; 2008-06-30 at 15:19.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 14:34   Link #156
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I guess it wasn't officially the "sig of the month" yet, but what about the sig Kasumi won with in January? That competition sort of started it all.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 15:20   Link #157
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I would of added it but photobucket deleted it.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 19:10   Link #158
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I appreciate the kind words everyone. It means a lot to me.

Ok, for the July SOTM I'll leave the Entry gathering to KiNA and the Vote counting to Marina. Anyone with questions about those aspects will have to direct questions to them and anyone they appoint as helpers for this month.

Spoiler for Entry Thread Code:

Spoiler for Voting Thread Code:

These are the codes for the Entry and Voting Threads. Just update the month, winner, theme, and dates and you'll be set.

I'll do my best to visit and help when I can, and things should be back to "normal" soon. In the meantime, I know I'm leaving things in good hands and it's comforting to know that the contest will continue uninterrupted.
Old 2008-06-30, 20:47   Link #159
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

So, should I msg the new theme to KiNA instead =o?

Anyways, wish you luck Solace!! Thanks for all the hardwork!!
Old 2008-06-30, 21:01   Link #160
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Do you have your idea worked out? If so go announce it in the voting thread and I'll create the July entry thread to get the things going. KiNA can handle things after that.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm