Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 06:58   Link #2301
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
The full name of the 1914 "Great War" actually includes Neuroi, ie the First Neuroi Great War, 第一次ネウロイ大戦 (Suomus 1, p.8). So no, it wasn't really WW1 as we know it. It was already the world vs the Neuroi.

There... is an official guidebook already. The timeline there is an enhancement of the one in the Strikes artbook. It includes more SW-verse events, mostly DOBs of various characters, as well as explanations of differences from real history.

They explained the colony from Fuso as the Fuso government never following an isolationist policy, and thus sent the first wave of colonists to Liberion... though that'd mean they would end up on the west coast, unless they took an extremely roundabout path. It was supposed to be a reference to the first colonists, mostly Puritans, which should've ended up in Virginia.
...?!?!

Well now I'm really confused, why was it then in the opening narration for the anime series they already had WW2 era planes? Could it be...?

Spoiler for And now it's Birmingham as well:

Oh shit, I think I've just realised where the Neuroi miasma idea comes from...

Spoiler for A dangerous miasma that comes out of nowhere ey?:

If you don't get my alternate history references...
Spoiler for explanation and spoilers:

Ahem, come on Mr Turtledove just admit you're collaborating with Shimada Fumikane
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 19:30   Link #2302
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Update on Humikane's site: 3 new witch illustrations. I think the african-looking one is Marseilles' servant/guardian/companion?
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/

And damn, do all Russian witches have to look plushie-snuggly cute?

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/mati.JPG
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/raisa.jpg
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 22:34   Link #2303
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Update on Humikane's site: 3 new witch illustrations. I think the african-looking one is Marseilles' servant/guardian/companion?
yes she is the servant of Marseilles "because (Marseilles's tsukaima) is a symbol of god and thus should serve her"..........check out Witch in Afrika for more details....

I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 06:22   Link #2304
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:

And damn, do all Russian witches have to look plushie-snuggly cute?

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/mati.JPG
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/raisa.jpg
Pixiv is using her for crack. Already pairing her up with Sanya.
Old 2010-03-13, 23:27   Link #2305
einhorn303

That Aleksandra's character design is so perfect it's almost obscene. Black stockings are my fetish, especially when combined with cute blonde Russian loli. I so hope that all these new characters find their way into the anime's second season. And that this new batch get their profiles translate into English!

I'm also quite glad that I got a shipping confirmation for my Strike Witches R1 DVDs today. They sure are shipping them early, considering the official release date is March 30th.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 03:27   Link #2306
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
That Aleksandra's character design is so perfect it's almost obscene.
- (Hands Einhorn a Tinfoil hat)
Old 2010-03-15, 04:30   Link #2307
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
That Aleksandra's character design is so perfect it's almost obscene. Black stockings are my fetish, especially when combined with cute blonde Russian loli. I so hope that all these new characters find their way into the anime's second season. And that this new batch get their profiles translate into English!

I'm also quite glad that I got a shipping confirmation for my Strike Witches R1 DVDs today. They sure are shipping them early, considering the official release date is March 30th.
Meh, I always go by historical basis. Which is why I preferred Erica. I like her characterisation (Shikamaru much?) and I admire the real life Erich's skill.

I believe the inspiration is Chief Marshal Alexander Pokryshkin who served in the 55th Fighter Regiment in the Battle for Kuban.

53 Confirmed personal kills from 560 combat missions. 6 more were done with other pilots (According to him it was 100).
Flew a couple of planes including P-63, Mig-3, Yak-1 and La-7. I am not sure which one is Aleksandra's striker unit though.

Received the following medals for his service.
6 Order of Lenin
3 Hero of the USSR
4 Order of the Red Banner
2 Order of Suvurov
2 Order of the Great Patriotic War
2 Order of the Red Star

And finally also received a USAAF Distinguished Service Medal.
Old 2010-03-25, 15:03   Link #2308
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EzPGtEtWg

Video detailing the packaging of the US DVD release.
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 03:52   Link #2309
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Is Selkirk still doing anything translation-related for Strike Witches? I was hoping he'd have up and translated the latest batch of Witches on Humikane's site, but no joy so far...
Old 2010-03-26, 23:36   Link #2310
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Is Selkirk still doing anything translation-related for Strike Witches? I was hoping he'd have up and translated the latest batch of Witches on Humikane's site, but no joy so far...

If nothing else at least Luci Christian (Nami-chan) made Erica sound good. I also like Kate Bristol's Lynette compared to Kaori Nazuka's Lynette.
Old 2010-03-27, 09:55   Link #2311
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post

If nothing else at least Luci Christian (Nami-chan) made Erica sound good. I also like Kate Bristol's Lynette compared to Kaori Nazuka's Lynette.
This is really the first time I have ever seen any SW clip in English dub. It sounded a little strange to me, such as Minna's voice is too serious (real Japanese Self Defence force women officers talk at a different er....I think you call it tone, please see Sora no Woto special clip for more details)......Erica is dubbed nicely though

Quote:
you can always use google translate.......Well at least I do if my Japanese ran out. which it often does.....

Old 2010-03-27, 11:19   Link #2312
einhorn303

I've got my copies of the R1 DVDs, but couldn't quite get in too the dub. I dislike how they actually refer to pants in the series as "panties." It breaks with the setting's cannon. Really though, I guess I'm just too attached to Sawashiro Miyuki as Perrine, a role I truly love. I rewatched the entire series in one day over Spring Break on my new blu-ray player; with the BD player's upscaling, the DVDs looked really awesome.

Coincidentally, now a JP bluray release has been announced:

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...54#post1748854
http://y.upup.be/?UK0OMXcNVm

I won't be importing it unless it has English subtitles, which it likely won't, but at least we might see a (non-upscaled) US bluray release of the show later on from Funimation.

Quote:
Same here.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 13:27   Link #2313
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Frankly i dislike most of the dub voices save Erica Hartmann and maybe Yoshika
but why i'm complaining when that licensed version was never meant for the likes of me nor for the rest of the world ~

oh well ~ ^^;
Old 2010-03-28, 03:58   Link #2314
Siegel Clyne

Strike Witches: Minna Sounds Too Serious in English

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
This is really the first time I have ever seen any SW clip in English dub. It sounded a little strange to me, such as Minna's voice is too serious (real Japanese Self Defence force women officers talk at a different er....I think you call it tone, please see Sora no Woto special clip for more details)...ogle translate.......Well at least I do if my Japanese ran out. which it often does.....
I believe you hit this one on the nail.

Having been following the English dub on the FUNimation website, I also think she sounds too serious.

Despite her being Teutonic, Minna is in many ways the most "Japanese" of the Strike Witches, an oneesama who can be both sweet and motherly on the one hand, and tough and strict on the other hand, with that special tone of voice.

This kind of character seems to be hard to dub properly in English.

I think another Tanaka Rie character, Octavia in Tears to Tiara, is easier to dub in English.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 00:31   Link #2315
Siegel Clyne

Strike Witches x Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Minna vs Hikari

Rie Tanaka - Lili Marleen (Strike Witches) + Sunset☆realise (Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart)

Rie Tanaka (田中理恵, Tanaka Rie) voices Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke (ミーナ・ディートリンデ・ヴィルケ) in Strike Witches (ストライクウィッチーズ) and Hikari Kujou (九条ひかり, Kujou Hikari) / Shiny Luminous (シャニールミナス) in Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart (ふたりはプリキュアMax Heart).

Rie Tanaka first sings the full Japanese version of the popular German World War II era song, "Lili Marleen" (『リリー・マルレーン』) - an insert song Minna sings in Episode 8 of Strike Witches - then she sings a Hikari Kujou / Shiny Luminous image song, "Sunset☆realise."

According to what I have heard, "Lili Marleen" is not on the original Japanese and the English dub tracks on the North American release by FUNimation of the Strike Witches Region 1 DVDs.

Some speculate it may be due to licensing issues. But as of the date and time that I uploaded this video, Rie Tanaka's insert song version of "Lili Marleen" is still heard on the streaming English subtitled version of Episode 8 of Strike Witches on the FUNimation website.

It is amusing to hear Tanaka Rie sing, one right after another, two very different image songs, in two very different voices, for two different characters she portrays in two different anime series.
Old 2010-03-29, 02:05   Link #2316
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Hmmm....
Old 2010-03-30, 01:42   Link #2317
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
I believe you hit this one on the nail.

Having been following the English dub on the FUNimation website, I also think she sounds too serious.

Despite her being Teutonic, Minna is in many ways the most "Japanese" of the Strike Witches, an oneesama who can be both sweet and motherly on the one hand, and tough and strict on the other hand, with that special tone of voice.

This kind of character seems to be hard to dub properly in English.

I think another Tanaka Rie character, Octavia in Tears to Tiara, is easier to dub in English.
Come to think of it, she did sound more serious compared to the laidback Minna.

But I'm not complaining too much since at least the voice sounds bearable compared to what could have been (badly accented German).

Perrine also sounds alright but they really cranked up her prissiness with that one dialogue (this is going to ruin my hair).
Old 2010-03-30, 03:13   Link #2318
Siegel Clyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Come to think of it, she did sound more serious compared to the laidback Minna.

But I'm not complaining too much since at least the voice sounds bearable compared to what could have been (badly accented German).

Perrine also sounds alright but they really cranked up her prissiness with that one dialogue (this is going to ruin my hair).
That's okay.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't recall badly mocked foreign accents being generally used in the original Japanese version either.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2010-04-08 at 16:34.
Old 2010-03-30, 05:01   Link #2319
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

however, after re-watching my DVD (Japanese original) versions, the dubbed version sounds a little......different. I won't call it bad since English is another language , but it's a little strange as the feeling of the whole anime has changed.

Old 2010-03-31, 03:37   Link #2320
olympian819

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
however, after re-watching my DVD (Japanese original) versions, the dubbed version sounds a little......different. I won't call it bad since English is another language , but it's a little strange as the feeling of the whole anime has changed.
I agree. Though I really like the voice of Erika.....so cute.
olympian819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume