AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-10-20, 11:35   Link #61
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

352 is out

Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-22, 22:46   Link #62
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Just read some godly chapters from a godly manga, lol. Seems like a bunch of people here are reading the Chinese version, sadly I have to work with the translations. 341-348 just got released in one huge chunk, damn that was fun.

I read RotTK before, once, in English. I am not so familiar with the work except for the major characters. That's still enough to generally work out what's going on in the story though.

My favourite parts are the quotes and stuff that connect with what's happening. Feels so cultural, lol.

Anyway, I'm cheering for Cao Cao and Sima Yi, heh. I did that while reading the original novel too. The blatant revisionism and deification of Liu Bei/Zhuge Liang in the novel made it quite satisfying knowing that they would lose, lol. That's why this latest batch of chapters kicked ass, time for the comeback, lol.

If the Chinese releases are slow, the English ones seem to be coming out even slower...seems they're just waiting for the Tankoubon releases nowadays. This was still great though. I wanna find out what happens to Yuan Fang.

Personally I feel bad for Yuan Shao. In all do respect, he was a pretty competent ruler that treats his people well. He is also a pretty good command that unfortunately his two major loss comes at the end of his military career and against the same man.

As for revisionism and deification of popular believe, it works both way. The current popular trend seems be heading toward the opposite extreme by over-glamouring Cao Cao/Guo Jia/Zhang Liao while understating Lui Bei/Zhuge Liang/Shu Generals.

When in context of history, Zhuge Liang is still consider a genius and master technician and Lui Bei, with his fault is still a charismatic leader at time.

But really, the only person I had problem with that should have getting heat for his revisionism and I have yet to see it, is Guan Yu. The man was more blatantly deified than anyone in Three Kingdom by miles, yet still no one ever says bad things about him outside of historians in their little circle.

Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with Guan Du campaign and ready to move on to Cao Cao's southern campaign, unless they are going into more detail on the fall of Yuan clan.

Although, there is a part of me wanting to see exactly what Yuan Fang's final grand schem is that Zhuge Liang's student mentioned. I mean back then, it seems that Yuan Fang understands what Zhuge Liang was planning to do in future and vice versa and the two seem to have a quiet agreement not unlike what Zhang Liao and Zhang Fei had.
Old 2011-11-19, 14:30   Link #63
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

c354 ends the Guandu Arc

Next arc will be on Liu Bei and gang.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:01   Link #64
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Ah this manga. I wonder if I (or the artist) can live long enough to see its end.

Just curious, how good is the English translation of this manga? I'd imagine that it is incredibly difficult to translate. It quotes from so many ancient Chinese literature.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 03:28   Link #65
Khalil

Only someone who knows and understands the original, can comment on the translations, but I can tell you that the translators have a better grasp of English, than many others.
The most difficult part for me was getting to grips with all the names, and at first I was wondering why everyone seemed to be called Daren.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 00:53   Link #66
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Ah this manga. I wonder if I (or the artist) can live long enough to see its end.

Just curious, how good is the English translation of this manga? I'd imagine that it is incredibly difficult to translate. It quotes from so many ancient Chinese literature.
from the little bit i seen of the english trans, it looks ok. The poetry doesn't get carry but the meaning is clear enough.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-11-26 at 13:53.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 21:18   Link #67
Undertaker

I'll second that, there are certain terms that could have being better but overall a pretty good job.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:49   Link #68
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

c355

Spoiler:

c356

Spoiler:

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-12-12 at 16:28.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 05:45   Link #69
Suetsumuhana

Is there some hope that the story will switch to Lieu Bei now? I’m pretty fed up with Cao Cao... Cao Cao this, Cao Cao that...

ps Oh! Ma Chao finally appeared! I’ve already forgotten about him.
Suetsumuhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 01:51   Link #70
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Just recently caught up to the latest scanlations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
c356

Spoiler:
God, the few chapters with everyone being in a disarray of confusion over Yuan Fang's fate was... quite heart-tugging in my opinion.

Yuan Shao's death really took me by surprise over how emotional I got invested into it, despite never really giving a shit about him before. He was literally trolled to death.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 10:26   Link #71
Undertaker

This manga's depiction of Yuan Shao is much closer to the real historical one than the popular believe.

Sure he had his fault, but he was undeniably one of the most able and charismatic leader of his time. It just unfortunate that his two biggest last happens back to back right before his death and against the same foe.
Old 2012-07-20, 13:24   Link #72
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

c372

Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-21, 19:22   Link #73
Undertaker

Yeah, and the debate continues, Guo Jia has convinced Xun Yu about his "FèngXiào shā lù" ways. On the other hand, Zhuge Liang, Peng Tong, and Zhou Yu, understands why he does it, does weren't convince on CaoCao's ability to carry it through and believe it was another cycle last seen at Warring State with Qin dominating and then quickly falls apart that led to another bloody struggle.
Old 2012-09-15, 19:18   Link #74
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

c376

Spoiler:
Old 2012-10-25, 14:42   Link #75
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

chapter 380
Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-01, 18:50   Link #76
Undertaker

this is great, now we head to ChangBan
Old 2012-11-01, 19:13   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
this is great, now we head to ChangBan
been awhile since we seen Zhao Yun let loose.
Old 2012-11-01, 19:37   Link #78
rantaid

and kongming showing his face
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 02:50   Link #79
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm still catching up to the rest of you. Still the end of the Guandu saga.

Nearly cried. T_T

Yuan Fang is a brilliant creation on Chen Mou's part. A beautiful tragic character. At his worst, broken in heart and morality, his brilliance made him utterly ruthless and nearly unstoppable, yet he was once an innocent crane who loved a camellia, content to stay in a well to watch the stars, a life away from life...

I get the sense that the poetic language in Chinese in the "crane" chapter must have been spectacular. Alas that no translator could have translated that into English.

Although,
Spoiler for ~ch350:

I stand by my feelings on Sima Yi though. If Fang-er was a masterstroke that rendered this interpretation of the Yuan faction and the Battle of Guandu the best ever, then Sima Yi, the Sima clan, and the Handicapped Warriors were, ugh. Their tragic destruction around ch200 soothed my bloodthirst for a while, but now I hunger again. Sima blood! Spill it!

I don't care if Liu Bei is wrongly glorified and and Zhuge Liang overrated. I want the Crouching Dragon to tear apart that plot-armored excuse of a young master who seems to be involved in every piece of action across the Central Plains, cheapening the greatness of every other character. Zhao Yun alone I forgive because he will follow the path of righteousness in the end!

And is it just me or many of the peripheral younger generation "geniuses" outside the epic Eight Geniuses all feel and look the same? Chen Mou can't draw more than one woman and teenager, I swear. It makes all those same-same teenagers quite annoyingly bratty for some reason. Bunch 'of wannabe dicks.

And now it's Zhuge time! Woohoo. The Jingzhou part was always my favorite in the original epic. And by the way, who the hell is the Eighth Genius? Is he shown yet?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 04:46   Link #80
rantaid

Yuan Fang, the original character seems to be based on description of a Poem from Tang dynasty, perhaps Du Fu or other (Meng Haoran or anyone else, forget) but surely not Li Bai. this was once discussed.

and Chen Mou decision to give the merit to Yang Xiu is not really wrong in my opinion, did we all forgot about Yang Biao? in Ravages, he was barely mentioned, but in ROTK, he was the mastermind who create the rift between Li Jue and Guo Si. so of course Yuan Clan Four Generation of Minister and Yang Clan Four Generation of Grand Commandant is fitting for the foreshadowing of this situation. Did not Ma Teng and the other Ma clan are the descendant of Ma Yuan, the famed general of Emperor Guangwu of Han ?

Sima Yi or Zhongda using the Ma clan as their buffer and sacrificial lamb, hiding the obscure meaning of Three Horse(马) eating the same Grass (曹) of the dream, Master Chen really loves a good joke.
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote