AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 15:35   Link #61
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Same art and music? Awesome. The original Last Exile was one of the few Gonzo titles I liked. Hopefully the opening and ending songs are at least similar as well, as I loved the feeling of them.

I guess the length of this is still unknown, isn't it. Hm, Fam of the silver wing?
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 23:32   Link #62
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Looks like they're set to premiere the show at AX. Guess that makes it a Fall 2011 series?
Sounds more like a summer show to me, doesn't the summer cour start in July?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 05:12   Link #63
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Sounds more like a summer show to me, doesn't the summer cour start in July?
Indeed. Looks like a Summer airing.
Old 2011-03-01, 10:37   Link #64
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
+1

What are odds for this new season to be equally good?

-Sequels rarely are on par with the original
-Gonzo has no money
-Gonzo keeps messing its own stories after awhile
-And as a personal note, I wasn't thrilled with the show to begin with. The characters looked like dolls, the world was left undeveloped, the pacing was slow and fluxuating between good and bad moments, the ending was messy and rushed.

As for the funky airships and cool world, I think most of us switched to Bounen no Xamdou (an equally chaotic series with an equally messy ending with the only difference that it's made by Bones).

I am also not sure if the setting will even be interesting after other anime like Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess had somewhat similar worlds (exaled, prisons).

So no, very low expectations from my part.
I agree with almost everything written above except for the low expectations part. I love Last Exile's setting, character design, soundtrack too much. That is enough to get my hopes up. And Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess did not have a similar setting at all. And that perfect soundtrack. I want to see more shows with airships!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I've seen both of these (loved Scrapped Princess!) and while there is a bit of overlap, the real setting styles that identify them are completely different. Neither of those two shows have a setting particularly in common with Last Exile's industrial/flight/scifi/steampunk-era style. I think the setting remains as great, fresh, and rarely used as ever..
Yes! Last Exile has such a strong ambience. I'll add that I loved Scrapped Princess, and Planet of the Beast King was also quite good until that ending or about halfway. Last Exile has one of the most wonderful settings, and I would happily revisit. Not to mention in HD!(?) I clearly remember how mad I was when I saw what they did with Last Exile. So much wasted potential just like Xam'd. They couldn't ruin it more than last time, right? I don't want to jinx it, but how bad can it be when the first one wasn't great either? IMO it is better to have a mediocre anime with a world like Last Exile's (*cough* Xam'd) than have no such anime exist at all. I would love it if they it make it into one that could go in my top ten. But I'll take what I get. Ok I am done fangirling I did read that Hitomi is also back for the ost? Shangri-la was meh but that was one good soundtrack. I love all her work.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Indeed. Looks like a Summer airing.
Summer 2011?

Last edited by Asleep; 2011-03-01 at 10:55.
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 04:30   Link #65
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
I agree with almost everything written above except for the low expectations part. I love Last Exile's setting, character design, soundtrack too much. That is enough to get my hopes up. And Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess did not have a similar setting at all. And that perfect soundtrack. I want to see more shows with airships!

Yes! Last Exile has such a strong ambience. I'll add that I loved Scrapped Princess, and Planet of the Beast King was also quite good until that ending or about halfway. Last Exile has one of the most wonderful settings, and I would happily revisit. Not to mention in HD!(?) I clearly remember how mad I was when I saw what they did with Last Exile. So much wasted potential just like Xam'd. They couldn't ruin it more than last time, right? I don't want to jinx it, but how bad can it be when the first one wasn't great either? IMO it is better to have a mediocre anime with a world like Last Exile's (*cough* Xam'd) than have no such anime exist at all. I would love it if they it make it into one that could go in my top ten. But I'll take what I get. Ok I am done fangirling I did read that Hitomi is also back for the ost? Shangri-la was meh but that was one good soundtrack. I love all her work.

Edit:
Summer 2011?
Agree with everything except personally I don't really understand the wasted potential thing as I really loved the story and characters of Last Exile as well as the awesome world they created, it's easily in my top 10. Xam'd I agree, I really liked it and it was quite good with a great world and characters and an interesting story and great art style but I wish they had gotten E7's runtime so they could dig further into it's potential and really flesh it out since you can see the details they put into the show that they no doubt would have expanded on since they did so in E7, plus maybe continue from the ending of the first to lead up to an even bigger finale with the Zanbani crew and the others fully involved since it was ashame they didn't get to play a big part since they were so nicely developed.

Yup, the official site lists the staff of the upcoming series and Hitomi Kuroishi is indeed listed for the music credit, which is like you said utterly fantastic news. Yeah, her Shangri-La soundtrack was great.

This. I'm already predicting the huge likeliness that I'll be importing yet another set of music CDs since she's involved, heh.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 10:53   Link #66
Asleep

It had a good story but bad execution. And that horrible rushed ending. I liked Claus and Lavie as a team, so separating them was not a good idea. And I wanted more Dio! The romantic triangle thing they attempted was also completely unnecessary. I liked the characters but they definitely needed more development. There was so much room for improvement. I had such high expectations so I was disappointed. Unless the new one is much worse it won't disappoint me this time I just want to go back in that world! But I am hoping it is one of the rare cases where the (sort of) sequel surpasses the original.

With Xam'd it felt as if the creators had no idea what they were doing. There were so many ideas that went nowhere. Maybe it did need 50 episodes. I find them similar what Gonzo did with Exile and what Bones did with Xam'd. We need more well done fantasy/sci-fi anime. There is Fractrale this season though.
Old 2011-03-02, 11:59   Link #67
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im looking forward to "The silver wing" yet dreading it at the same time. I loved the original its actually one of my all time favorites. I have no doubt character design and mecha designs will be fantastic like the original was. But the story is what really worries me.
Old 2011-04-08, 09:20   Link #68
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Dio LIVES!! *amen* The MC Claus daughter?
Old 2011-04-08, 16:05   Link #69
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Squee! Vanships! Similar character designs! The same kinda clunky CGI! Mysterious Girl! Holy crapsit, was that Dio?!? I had heard he lived (from that one artbook scan) but if that's him, man he looks kinda pissed and the last time he wasn't his happy self it was a very baaaaad thing. Gah, summer needs to come sooner!
Old 2011-04-08, 19:12   Link #70
ramlaen

well that PV made me nostalgia bomb a little
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 19:30   Link #71
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Holy crapsit, was that Dio?!? I had heard he lived (from that one artbook scan) but if that's him, man he looks kinda pissed and the last time he wasn't his happy self it was a very baaaaad thing. Gah, summer needs to come sooner!
Where do you see Dio in that PV? The guy is Luskinia Hafiz. Dio is confirmed in the cast listing though...
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 20:41   Link #72
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Ahhh, I saw Knight Hawk's comment and thought that Dio must be the white haired man with pointy ears at 0:50. I didn't even look at the cast list, katakana is tricky to read so I just let everyone else translate/post it instead.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:23   Link #73
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Yeah my comment comes from seeing Dio in the cast list. Was nice seeing him in the PV though, even if it was from the first series.
(Ahh~ nostalgia. )
Old 2011-04-09, 03:25   Link #74
Asleep

I loved Dio and I was so relieved he survived in the last series. It wasn't even made clear. But now he will be in the new one too! Yay! I always thought Dio was underused.

A lot of new additions to the cast on ANN and many of my favourites. I am so glad to see Aoi Yuki as one of the main characters.

The PV has got me listening to Last Exile's OST and I have to second wandering-dreamer's 'summer needs to come sooner!'
Old 2011-04-15, 16:32   Link #75
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
I loved Dio and I was so relieved he survived in the last series. It wasn't even made clear. But now he will be in the new one too! Yay! I always thought Dio was underused.

A lot of new additions to the cast on ANN and many of my favourites. I am so glad to see Aoi Yuki as one of the main characters.

The PV has got me listening to Last Exile's OST and I have to second wandering-dreamer's 'summer needs to come sooner!'
Same here, can't wait!

Hearing that music again nailed it and seeing the new backgrounds and the ships and the perfectly-realized Murata art come alive (which was my only real disappointment in Shangri-La which I enjoyed) once more in the new section of the trailer, loved it, man I love this franchise's setting/mix of tech/costuming/etc.

And I think I've watched this trailer/teaser trailer too many times lol.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-04-18 at 00:03.
Old 2011-04-15, 16:53   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The character section of the official website's been updated.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-04-15, 17:19   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The character section of the official website's been updated.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Last Exile:

& i'm loving that PV. Delicious looking steampunk.
Old 2011-04-15, 23:35   Link #78
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Spoiler for character designs:
Old 2011-04-22, 08:48   Link #79
Tworble

About the trailer- looking at the new animation next to the old; I see how much it has to live up to and I worry.

Spoiler for Spoiler for Last Exile the original.:
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 16:17   Link #80
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworble View Post
About the trailer- looking at the new animation next to the old; I see how much it has to live up to and I worry.

Spoiler for Spoiler for Last Exile the original.:
Agreed, it has a lot to live up to as the original series was gorgeous. Personally I thought the small snippets of the new animation looked great, the 2D stuff looked beautiful and the big 3D ship was gorgeously rendered and colored too.

Spoiler:

Tags
adventure, science fiction