Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-24, 20:54   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Some anime like Escaflowne

I was rewatching this series a bit and it felt nostalgic. Before I jumped ship to a different genre; this was one of my favorite story settings.

Anyway, to be more specific, I'm looking for something that has a fantasy setting, but with mechas in it. Generally, the setting must take place in your typical fantasy setting. A good example/counterexample is the games FF6 and FF7. Despite both games having an advanced technological empire AND normal archaic towns outside those empires, many of FF6's settings take place in regular archaic towns, while FF7's starts in that Shinra Corp city, filled with trains, TVs, and other such crap. Don't want the setting to be like FF7, I want it to be like FF6.

It can have an advanced civilization somewhere(like Emperor Dumbledore and the Zaibach empire), but must primarily take place in the fantasy setting. The main chars must also NOT have any obvious advanced technology(excluding the mech if applicable) for a very good chunk of the show's run. A good example, aside from Escaflowne, would be Turn-A Gundam, or the game Xenogears(for those who've played that). Yes, in Turn-A, they get a big ship, get more mechs, fly to the moon, etc, but a good half of the story takes place on the Earth, with them still being in those archaic towns.

If their is also human-to-human combat using melee weapons(like swords, lances, etc.) that's a definite plus. Even moreso if one or two swordsman/woman can fight a mech(usually the lowest class of mech) with normal melee weapons. I am willing to be more lenient to the above paragraphs if it has this in it.

Also, the anime has to have some substance. I don't want something shallow, like some kid's show; it needs some depth(I'd imagine such a show would have that though).
Old 2011-09-24, 22:47   Link #2
Kyloix
Meister

Might try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann its not quite archaic setting but they dont have alot of advanced tech. They do get mechs and eventually a boat-mech. and i believe their is a scene when one of the main characters fights a mech on his own ( i may be wrong about this.)

Also not very archaic but there is Eureka Seven if you havent seen it very good anime.
Old 2011-09-25, 02:57   Link #3
Undertaker

Are you looking something more towards RPG type shows or conflict between kingdoms?

Broken Blade movies => mecha show with archaic world setting.

Tales of Abyss => Adoption of PS2 Tales game

Legend of Legendary Hero => Awesome fantasy show with sword and magic.

Magic Knight Rayearth => Clamp masterpiece.

There's much more depend on which area you are more interested.
Old 2011-09-25, 07:59   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might try Wellber no Monogatari. It has princes and princesses, and a tank.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:01   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyloix View Post
Might try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann its not quite archaic setting but they dont have alot of advanced tech. They do get mechs and eventually a boat-mech. and i believe their is a scene when one of the main characters fights a mech on his own ( i may be wrong about this.)

Also not very archaic but there is Eureka Seven if you havent seen it very good anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Are you looking something more towards RPG type shows or conflict between kingdoms?

Broken Blade movies => mecha show with archaic world setting.

Tales of Abyss => Adoption of PS2 Tales game

Legend of Legendary Hero => Awesome fantasy show with sword and magic.

Magic Knight Rayearth => Clamp masterpiece.

There's much more depend on which area you are more interested.
I've already seen TTGL, E7, and MKR(s1/s2/ova), and I've played TotA more times than I can count, but even if I didn't, TotA has no mechs in it =0(. Took a peek at Broken Blade and Legleg Hero, and Broken Blade seems like just what I was looking for. I didn't see any mecha element in LegLeg Hero, unless there is and I just didn't see it(I didn't look too hard in case I might get spoiled =0\).

I'm not too particular on whether its more rpgish or the conflict/kingdoms aspect, as long as the chars and story has some depth, and is not too 'fluffy'.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:21   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You might try Wellber no Monogatari. It has princes and princesses, and a tank.
Ah, yes, I vaguely remember that one. There was some stipulation that prevented me from watching it(I don't remember what the stipulation was (>.>)), so I never finished watching it. Guess I'll check it out again. Thanks =03.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:42   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
There was some stipulation that prevented me from watching it
Maybe because
Spoiler:

I didn't watch much of this show, either. I included the suggestion more for completeness sake given what you said you were looking for.
Old 2011-09-25, 09:24   Link #8
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I've already seen TTGL, E7, and MKR(s1/s2/ova), and I've played TotA more times than I can count, but even if I didn't, TotA has no mechs in it =0(. Took a peek at Broken Blade and Legleg Hero, and Broken Blade seems like just what I was looking for. I didn't see any mecha element in LegLeg Hero, unless there is and I just didn't see it(I didn't look too hard in case I might get spoiled =0\).

I'm not too particular on whether its more rpgish or the conflict/kingdoms aspect, as long as the chars and story has some depth, and is not too 'fluffy'.
Legend of Legendary Hero don't have mechas, though it does have handful of objects with incredible power, very interesting lead couple, and hand-to-hand combat.

Valkaria Chronicle would probably fit as well, there are tanks and guns and what not, but the setting is your typical fantasy-fare, ie rural towns, castle-like buildings, etc.

Sakura Taisen(War), not exactly archaic but steam-punk setting in 1920's with steam-powered mechas.

Otherwise, Magic Knight Rayearth and Madō King Granzort from early to mid-80s to mid- 90s. There are a few more from that period as mecha-as-deity theme was fairly popular at time. Though those anime usually have characters you might consider "fluffy".
Old 2011-09-25, 18:59   Link #9
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Maybe because
Spoiler:

I didn't watch much of this show, either. I included the suggestion more for completeness sake given what you said you were looking for.
Nah, I believe it was something that gave me the inability to watch it(like, say, 2 months of internet disconnection) rather than me simply disliking or not wanting to watch it. And usually, tanks that can talk are pretty awesome, like in Fireball or The Third(another great show that fits my criteria).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Legend of Legendary Hero don't have mechas, though it does have handful of objects with incredible power, very interesting lead couple, and hand-to-hand combat.

Valkaria Chronicle would probably fit as well, there are tanks and guns and what not, but the setting is your typical fantasy-fare, ie rural towns, castle-like buildings, etc.

Sakura Taisen(War), not exactly archaic but steam-punk setting in 1920's with steam-powered mechas.

Otherwise, Magic Knight Rayearth and Madō King Granzort from early to mid-80s to mid- 90s. There are a few more from that period as mecha-as-deity theme was fairly popular at time. Though those anime usually have characters you might consider "fluffy".
I did not like Sakura Wars, but Valkaria Chronicles seems like it fits the bill. I'll also give Leg Heroes a shot, at least the first episode, to see how it is.

This should keep me occupied for a while. Thanks a lot for the suggestions .
Old 2011-09-25, 19:19   Link #10
Undertaker

no problem, tell us how you think og the shows once you're done, or got a good feel for them.
Old 2011-09-29, 23:23   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

The torrents are slow (;_; ). Anyway, watched the first ep of stuff. Break Blade is perfect in everything I was looking for; as if it was a perfect successor to all that was in Escaflowne =03. VC is solid; not exactly what I was looking for, but interesting enough setting and setup to continue watching it. LotLH was probably a bit too silly for my tastes, but I'll watch the next two episodes on yt to see if things get interesting enough. Still searching for the Sisters of Wellbur though. Not surprising, as it's a older series =0<.
Old 2011-09-30, 03:53   Link #12
Undertaker

Glad you like the BB, the series is based on manga so you might want to check that out as well, and I knew VC was not exactly what you were looking for, but it was in the park, IMO,and I glad you gave it a try, it's a fair decent series.

LotLH might seem silly at first mainly due to the weirdness of the two main lead, but if you keep watch, the story should flush itself out. Nothing in that series is really what it seems on the surface. It is a pretty silly series but at same time it also features some of the darkest plot points in anime.
Old 2011-09-30, 13:51   Link #13
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Aura Battler Dunbine. It's a 1983 anime by Tomino (early Gundam fame). Assuming you're able to deal with 1983 era animation, this is the closest thing to Escaflowne, in my eyes.

It's a typical Tomino epic (49 episodes long), with politics, freedom fighters, oppressive regimes, pretty women on both sides of the conflict dancing on the arms of the male leads, mecha, etc.

The world most of the story is set in is Byson Wells, which is sort of Tomino's pet baby. It's an alternate world similar to that of Escaflowne, in that it's medieval like if one ignores the giant mecha and flying battleships.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-09-30, 15:24   Link #14
Elegance

Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari
Closed Thread