AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-28, 02:50   Link #101
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I never finished Sakura Taisen (anime or manga), but Ohgami was a favorite character of mine. I need to get back into that series... and as for Banjo Haran, the "rich, ladies man" part kinda kills his eligibility- for harem leads, I'm aiming for the type of guys who are more "average" and then whip out a can of whoop-ass

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 09:52   Link #102
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

As much as I loved Ah! My Goddess, I donīt think harem shows are really the thing for me.
The idea of several awesome girls lusting over some loser makes me question my perception of reality.

OTOH, all-girl shows (too much of a good thing) do bug me in the same way that all-male (too much of a bad thing ) shows make me cringe.

I guess the perfect solution for me is a meeting at halfway, like Claymore where itīs not harem but itīs not all-girl either. There are many awesome girls but they donīt lust over the little boy.

In the end, I prefer shows where things are a little more distributed across gnders, like Highschool of the Dead where thereīs lots of both male and female characters.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 11:42   Link #103
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Lusting over losers =/= Lusting over total bad asses like Sengoku Basara cast is totally diffrent tho XD

and thanks to this thread i learned of the Tenchi Muyo spin off featuring his half brother. its a cool harem/mecha anime with a pretty strong lead and a red head fiesty girl and a dark elf.. Fuck..Ing.. WIN!

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2012-06-29 at 12:00.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 12:15   Link #104
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I like the idea of "harem/reverse harem" far better than "one-sex" show that features only girls or only boys. Not only is it more unrealistic than the former, I feel it's incredibly sexist. >_>

"The other sex isn't important enough to us so we're making an anime without it and pretending it doesn't exist lol"

Da hell!?

I'm such a fanatical hetero-shipper more than yaoi/yuri too but...
Old 2012-06-29, 12:29   Link #105
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I have nothing against "All Girls" animes. It's just that the lack of males means that the world was taken over by girls. How exactly does this function of society work? There is no re-productivity!
Old 2012-06-29, 12:35   Link #106
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

I dunno, didnīt scientists find a way for female reproduction without the aid of male sperm a couple years ago?

Something about electrically stimulating a female egg into thinking that it had been inseminated and go morula?
Dunno how itīd go about producing a baby with only half the chromossomes, but then there is a lot I donīt know.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 13:42   Link #107
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^I welcome our Gall Force overladies.
Old 2012-06-29, 14:16   Link #108
uis

I don't know to answer this question. I love both genre anyway and i start from harem watcher because i am visual novels player before anime watchers. After that i certainly evolved because SAKI and i now yurifag but still love some hetero shipping.

For me all girls show is not bad anyway. Of course mostly all girls anime start from spice of life but now they exist in other genre too like battle anime. Surely all girls anime is focusly more elder man / seinen but that the appeal also captured all ages viewer especially Lucky Star and K-ON in japan. Anyway it all according the show anyway. If it have no production value no one will care anyway.

Don't wanna talk about harem anyway. I already participate in shipping wars for 15 years now. So many good and bad memories lulz.

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 15:21   Link #109
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Sigh, when you bring this stuff to real life I get quite discouraged. You remember you're all men right?... I hope so! Because a all women world would mean NO YOU! :P

Sure may be able to have a child without a man involved, but have fun with your horror babies. XD

I mean men are losing their place in society and there's no real need for us protectors anymore who made the world a safe...er place to live for both genders. Guess we should just off our selfs and make the world even safer! XD (I read some wacked stuff last night :heh
Old 2012-06-29, 15:52   Link #110
uis

Anyway even all girls anime is genre but that doesn't mean man not exist in that anime.

You can see some male in background or just one male become supportive chara or just parent/father exist or male is antagonist.

You can see this example in Yuru Yuri and Koihime Musou.

That also exist anime without male but some mechanism explained like baby from the sky or female pregnant after drink sacred river water.

You can see this example in Sengoku Otome.

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 16:05   Link #111
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
The OAV ICE pretty much had woman being the only race left on the planet with no or few men left because of the "method" of extinction that happened.

Infinite Stratos despite being a harem, but it can at least have the all girls category labeled on it, to an extent, because of the main setting and how they're presented in society in that series.
Old 2012-06-29, 16:38   Link #112
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Infinite Stratos' reason for a female-dominant society was a stupid one. Why would someone even consider investing government funds into manufacturing and mass-producing a space exploration/combat suit designed to function only when being piloted by a female in the first place? Why not both sexes? It doesn't make any sense.

Now that's not to say a female-dominated society is totally unrealistic. Far from it actually. Human genetics continue to change and mutate slowly over time. It won't happen in our lifetime, but perhaps a couple hundreds of thousands of years from now partially in thanks to the degeneration of the Y chromosome, the human male will be practically scarce and unneeded for reproduction. (And btw, this doesn't necessarily mean the entire female population will begin to resort to lesbianism when it happens. Even if the body changes, it doesn't always affect our minds.)

As a guy, it is indeed depressing to think about. I'm just glad I'll be long dead before it happens.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-06-29 at 17:16.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 11:24   Link #113
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I like the idea of "harem/reverse harem" far better than "one-sex" show that features only girls or only boys. Not only is it more unrealistic than the former, I feel it's incredibly sexist. >_>

"The other sex isn't important enough to us so we're making an anime without it and pretending it doesn't exist lol"

Da hell!?

I'm such a fanatical hetero-shipper more than yaoi/yuri too but...
Yeah, I am thinking of the topic of female empowerment at the expense of male presence. Like, "We have been bitching for years about how girls in shounen are "STAY IN THE KITCHEN", so we shall make shows about awesomely overpowered girls at the cost at pretending that guys are all incompetent or just don't count, or even exist." It's like allowing girls to run a marathon race in ferrari while guys just run on their legs. Tied together.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 23:54   Link #114
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Like, "We have been bitching for years about how girls in shounen are "STAY IN THE KITCHEN.
This is simply not true though.
Gotta recall back to the early 80s and late 70s when this was a standard in shounen.

Since somewhere around late 80s, girls in boys comic and manga became mainly extremely active and outgoing.
I'm trying to recall... and I think Urusei Yatsura's success was the earliest I can think of, Kansai had Jarinko-chie on TV, obviously Lupin IIIrd being successful on TV in the early 80s (70s too, but I think those Sunday-morning reruns of Lupin exposed a lot more kids to it), then there was Patlabor in the late 80s.
Oh yeah, Sera in Gundam had a huge following, and Four in Z Gundam drew a lot of attention (It first got my attention with her nude, fold-out poster in Newtype. ).

Then came Nadia. Huge success, and even furthur carried the active, ass kicking female heroine archetype to popularity.
The rest is history. Through out 90s and 2000s, heroine became active roles, in order to keep the reader/audience actually interested in her.

.... err, got way off topic.

I think "lame spinless male protagonist" grew more common as heroines became more ass kicking.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:45   Link #115
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

How many anime's are out there that don't have a big ass hole dude antagonist? Not a lot I as I see. That whole "Get back to the kitchen" you are talking about is pushing it a bit. Its never like that in anime, Men just take the role we were born with. the fighter and defender, not the gatherer and provider.

Would you honestly want a SSJ3 female character? I sure as hell don't, Because they would be skinny and have hardly any muscle tone as they should have for a anime like DBZ. They would be skinny for the sake of fanservice.

Spineless male leads became more frequent because the typical bad ass hero has become some what stale. We need more leads like my avatar here.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:37   Link #116
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Most all-female shows are made by and for men. Maria-sama ga Miteru is the only show where 90% of the characters are females but wasn't made by and for men. Most men(including me) was attracted by its yuri undertones(which isn't much of it). In my case, I ends up a shoujo gem coated with thin yuri chocolate layer.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 11:03   Link #117
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Would you honestly want a SSJ3 female character? I sure as hell don't, Because they would be skinny and have hardly any muscle tone as they should have for a anime like DBZ. They would be skinny for the sake of fanservice.
Sad but true. Jormungand averts this with Valmet but the reaction is is pretty much 'DO NOT WANT' from fans despite being reasonably toned. I am not sure how it works but I know that women don't get big muscles and I am sure they can still ge toned due to all that fighting that they do. Jormungand is not a harem.
Old 2012-07-01, 17:54   Link #118
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
How many anime's are out there that don't have a big ass hole dude antagonist? Not a lot I as I see. That whole "Get back to the kitchen" you are talking about is pushing it a bit. Its never like that in anime, Men just take the role we were born with. the fighter and defender, not the gatherer and provider.

Spineless male leads became more frequent because the typical bad ass hero has become some what stale. We need more leads like my avatar here.
This reply isn't directed at me, right?
I'm the one that said "go back to kitchen" thing isn't true, not the other way around.

I don't mind "over powered female" characters, or the other way around, male ones.

I'm just tired of spinless whimp protagonists that became so popular after Eva's hit success.
And that's an unreleated topic. I'm not drawing a correlation to why female characters became more active, it's simply an observation of two different popular tropes.
Old 2012-07-01, 20:27   Link #119
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The "stay in the kitchen" thing is a figure of speech. It is like the main criticism thrown against "trashy shounen" by some fans of some anime who want to show how "unique" their show is, by empowering girls. At the cost of putting males on a bus or making them a non-factor. Masterful move right here *irony*.
Old 2012-07-01, 22:38   Link #120
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Is there a anime out there where women are non existant pretty much? I mean they are there, just never shown or no major or even minor characters? No, I doubt there is. Mean while we got all these with men being nonexsistant. lol

@ ( ಠ_ಠ) No It was directed at ass holes who use that crap and means it.