AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 03:18   Link #281
LusterFlare
Lost.

Did they really just bust out the link cables? Dat nostalgia.

Anaru was d'awww this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Also, been a long time since I watched an episode of a show more than once. Yeah, I got it that bad...
You and I both haha
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:24   Link #282
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Actually, I think the only reason Tsuruko was acting that was because she was mad that Anaru was hanging out with people who talked that way about Jinta. She looked worried about Jinta when they were talking in episode 1. I'd imagine that she forced herself to get over Menma because Yukiatsu didn't.

Even if she's the same as when she was a kid [which, I think all of them are to an extent], I don't think she'll comfortably hang around Jinta like Poppo has. In fact, her scene with Tsuruko is interesting. I agree that Anaru is too easily impressionable, and I imagine that standing up for herself and breaking away from her "friends" will be part of her development, but I also think that Tsuruko might have forced herself to mature because of everyone around her.

The characters in this show are so interesting. They're all going to change, and I want to see how they change. Also, how did Poppo get the money for all of those trips?

Edit: Except for Yukiatsu. It bothers me that he only saw Menma in the OP, and I'm not liking him at all so far.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:24   Link #283
CWW
Lurker

Yes! Nokemon! Gotta catch 'em all!

Glad to see them got together again. Jinta should really go to school again. That way we can see more of Anaru!

I wonder what's up with Tsuruko. They didn't pay much attention to her in the childhood flashbacks, but her clothes were certainly out there. A pink shirt with a necktie is pretty fashionable for someone her age. Now she wears her school uniform wherever she goes, complete with glasses, seemingly paying more attention to her status than her appearance. She is the most mysterious of the bunch. I reckon she may be the final boss so to speak. The quiet ones are the most dangerous ones...
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:29   Link #284
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Another good episode, although wasn't as great as the first one. The impact on episode one was just so much stronger for me. Even with all that, I'm still very satisfied with this series so far. Hoping they can keep up the good job until the end.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:36   Link #285
Mr.Garfield

i'm willing to vote this show best of the season no matter what happen in the latter eps
love it!

Quote:
^ I wonder if Yukiatsu saw what happened to Menma or was the one that found her, could be why he is still so messed up about it.
or he's the cause...

that might be too twisted up i guess
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:59   Link #286
Asterisk
Irregularity

I think this show is arguably the best of the season, and thats a pretty wild decision from me since I just picked up this show on the whim just a few hours ago.

Its a shame that gathering from the view count of this thread it seems not everyone has watched this yet, which is a terrible thing because it deserves so much more attention.
Old 2011-04-22, 04:04   Link #287
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 2.

Pokemon brings people together.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 04:05   Link #288
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I think this show is arguably the best of the season, and thats a pretty wild decision from me since I just picked up this show on the whim just a few hours ago.

Its a shame that gathering from the view count of this thread it seems not everyone has watched this yet, which is a terrible thing because it deserves so much more attention.
I highly agree with you, it is sad not more people are watching it, though hopefully they will see the light!
Old 2011-04-22, 04:10   Link #289
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, the theme they're bringing up in this show isn't exactly mainstream, and not everyone is a fan of slow drama in anime.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 04:13   Link #290
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Actually, I think the only reason Tsuruko was acting that was because she was mad that Anaru was hanging out with people who talked that way about Jinta. She looked worried about Jinta when they were talking in episode 1. I'd imagine that she forced herself to get over Menma because Yukiatsu didn't.
Yeah I agree. She was fine until they started ragging on Jinta...

Pretty good episode all around. Also already mentioned but Yukiatsu, creepy much...?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 04:15   Link #291
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Man, they're really making Menma the woobie of the show. From the pet scene, to her trying to stop the fight between Anaru/Tsuruko, to "Where should Menma go back home to?", to her not wanting to intrude on Anaru's room, it seems the show likes to throw daggers at my heart every scene she's on. XD

Also, been a long time since I watched an episode of a show more than once. Yeah, I got it that bad...
points taken, you and i both, especially the first point, they managed to always kick me in the gut whenever menma is on the screen, tugging my heartstring without background music shows just how good they animate menma and her characterization
Old 2011-04-22, 04:29   Link #292
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I wonder what's up with Tsuruko. They didn't pay much attention to her in the childhood flashbacks, but her clothes were certainly out there. A pink shirt with a necktie is pretty fashionable for someone her age. Now she wears her school uniform wherever she goes, complete with glasses, seemingly paying more attention to her status than her appearance. She is the most mysterious of the bunch. I reckon she may be the final boss so to speak. The quiet ones are the most dangerous ones...
I don't know about that. I personally think that Yukiatsu is the "final boss". He seems to have a really unhealthy fixation on Menma. Even in the OP, Menma's the only child he notices.
Old 2011-04-22, 04:45   Link #293
Triker

Quote:
Totally agree. Tsuruko is so far the most mature of all 6 and the most interesting imho.

I hope we know more about her and Yukiatsu next episode.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 04:58   Link #294
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
I really hope Anaru dumps those slutty friends of her soon, no wonder Tsuruko got upset. :/
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:07   Link #295
CWW
Lurker

I guess there are two ways to interpret Tsuruko's behavior. The impression I get from her is that she's coy and judgmental rather than mature and concerned for the well-being of others. She's probably not a horrible person, but I suspect there's a slight jealousy in her. We'll see I suppose.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:28   Link #296
Seiryuu

I'm definitely a Naruko fan having watched this. I imagine she really hates that nickname now though. I mean, who'd want to be known as "Anal"? It's great to see her open up a bit.

Still, I'm surprised that Jinta actually thought that Menma's "promise" was a PokemonNokemon. And more surprised that they were able to beat the thing so fast, or get it to a point where they could trade rares.

I hope Menma starts to realize how "old" she is now. I mean, walking around in a towel is one thing (and thankfully she's self-connscious enough to wear a towel), but that spot in the first ep where she apparently "pleasured" Jinta with her rear without even realizing it was seriously messed up. I wonder if his father thought THAT was "cute".

Anyway, looks like everyone's going to have issues that they're struggling with and feel depressed or even ashamed about, based around their past and their relationships. They all probably have things they feel they did wrong, and think Menma would be with them if they'd done them right. And they won't be able to "fulfill" the "promise" until they've started to work through them, come to terms with them and find the bonds that they'd buried all those years before. I imagine in the process Naruko will eventually confess, which is what she really wanted to do that day. And Yukiatsu will have to admit his own feelings for Menma that have messed him up so much.

I just hope that when Naruko confesses to Jinta, they start going out and a new "Menma" doesn't show up out of nowhere to steal him away. It'd be really cliche if Menma "passes on" and then suddenly turns up as a similar-looking girl, and really cruel to Naruko.

On a last note, when Naruko blushed at her friends' suggestion that Jinta's having lewd dreams about her, I couldn't help but wonder if the reverse is actually true.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:36   Link #297
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I guess there are two ways to interpret Tsuruko's behavior. The impression I get from her is that she's coy and judgmental rather than mature and concerned for the well-being of others. She's probably not a horrible person, but I suspect there's a slight jealousy in her. We'll see I suppose.
I personally wasn't saying that she was mature and always concerned for the well-being of others, and I agree that she's somewhat coy [although I don't know where you get judgmental from]. She's no exception to the cast; everyone is supposed to appear as distant and somewhat mean to each other [except for Poppo, who's really cool].

Mature is the wrong word, and I shouldn't have used it. I meant to say that she seems like a character who forces herself to act emotionally tough, and that's due to Yukiatsu's fixation on Menma. In my opinion, she seems jealous of Menma because she attempts to act as if she isn't bothered by Menma's death anymore, again due to Yukiatsu. There probably is a slight jealousy in her, which is why she acts the way she does.

As for the well-being of others, she doesn't act any differently than Anaru does. While Anaru can't come to admit that she doesn't like how they talk about Jinta, Tsuruko can't admit the same and instead acts as if she doesn't like talking to students from Anaru's high school. Even if she really does think that, I don't think that was the reason she left the restaurant. I think Anaru and Tsuruko are equally concerned for others [if not more so for Anaru, considering she still supports Jinta].

How she acted with Anaru was a different issue. The words were harsh enough, but she obviously goes out of her way to be hostile [invading personal space]. That's why I think she treasures her old [and with an emphasis on old. I don't think she considers the new Anaru to be the same as the old Anaru, just like Jinta] friends just as much as Anaru and Poppo do.
Old 2011-04-22, 05:44   Link #298
lordshadowisle

A solid 2nd episode.

Regarding Tsuruko, I'll agree with some of the posts above saying that she's probably the most mature of the bunch, and in the same sense, probably the one who has changed the most. I think that change and moving on will be the focus in future episodes; in this episode various pieces of dialogue intentionally highlight who has changed (or not).

Therefore, when the three of them bonded over Nokemon like in the days of the past, when Menma said that "Anaru hasn't changed", it goes to say that it's not just that they haven't changed, it's also that these three haven't moved on from her death.

Also, I'm speculating here, but Poppo may have more of a story behind him. His "capture" may be too simple, and he doesn't seem to have any particular angle to Menma's death. It's certainly possible that he was younger and less affected by her death, but in any case his circumstances are quite unusual (not schooling, happy-go-lucky personality) and might be his way of coping.

Spoiler for Joke Interpretation:
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:59   Link #299
Silverwyrm

Quote:
I don't know about that. I personally think that Yukiatsu is the "final boss". He seems to have a really unhealthy fixation on Menma. Even in the OP, Menma's the only child he notices.
I bet he uses Action Replay on his Nokemon too!

Anyways, very nice ep, really loving this show. Let's hope they dont pull a wtfchangeofpacelol on third ep like a certain other show. The (p)nokemon stuff really had nostalgia going for me, especially when they pulled out those link cables

I find Menma interesting because she can effect the physical world (so obviously she is real ghost). Anaru "felt something on her neck" in ep1, she was also able to eat something in this ep. If it ever came to it...proving her presence would be completely doable, but he still doesn't think she's real and that may not be a good idea in the first place, to bring back those memories like that.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:59   Link #300
satomianzaki

wow another nice anime...really liking it...really full of emotions...

this is the only season that i get to like so many anime series...nice nice...

satomianzaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy